Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Problem description: Like the title says, my CPU is massively overheating in my desktop. It's been running fine for a few years, and I don't tax it (web browsing, Office, VLC is about it, sometimes an old game). Maybe 3 weeks ago the system shut off randomly. I thought it was weird, turned it back on, it almost immediately powered off again. The heatsink was scorching hot to the touch. I let it sit overnight, turned it back on the next day, after ~20 minutes the same thing happened. It's been off for two weeks since I've got a backup laptop but I want to get this fixed and don't quite know what to do.

Attempted fixes: Cleaned out the entire case, took the fan off and blew out all the dust (there wasn't much at all) from the heatsink, left it off for ~2 weeks but when I turned it on today the CPU was hitting ~100C at idle so I just shut it off again.

Recent changes: Not a thing, it's been totally fine for years and I haven't even moved the box for months.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: It's an AMD Phenom II X4 975 processor. 8 gigs of ram, an older Radeon graphics card.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
You're sure the fan is working?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Did you check the thermal paste?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oyak posted:

You're sure the fan is working?

it seems to be, yeah. It spins up when the machine turns on, it runs a bit slow but I don't know if that's the pwm doing something weird with it. it's definitely capable of high speed still.

dkj posted:

Did you check the thermal paste?

This I have not checked out, does the paste dry out eventually? Paste is cheap enough, what would I need to clean the old stuff off the heatsink/processor?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

it seems to be, yeah. It spins up when the machine turns on, it runs a bit slow but I don't know if that's the pwm doing something weird with it. it's definitely capable of high speed still.

This I have not checked out, does the paste dry out eventually? Paste is cheap enough, what would I need to clean the old stuff off the heatsink/processor?

A razorblade and rubbing alcohol.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GobiasIndustries posted:

This I have not checked out, does the paste dry out eventually?

Yes, it will get dryed out.

Nevvy Z posted:

A razorblade and rubbing alcohol.

This will get that old paste off there. Also, while you've got things apart, make sure to clean the heatsink out really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
welp I've got the razor blade and alcohol already so that's cool! I'll pick up some paste and report back when I get a chance to do a full cleaning (gone this weekend).

• Locked thread