Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Trying to do the Spain is the Emperor achievement after a couple of years on not playing.

The idea is to ally France, rival Portugal and England and declare England. Hopefully use France to win the war and take the two closest provinces to Navarra and whatever I can take from Portugal in order to make vassalizing it easier on following wars. Give nothing to France to curtail their expansion and give them a truce with England. After the Reconquista, punch France in the face.

Tell me how dumb that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Trying to do the Spain is the Emperor achievement after a couple of years on not playing.

The idea is to ally France, rival Portugal and England and declare England. Hopefully use France to win the war and take the two closest provinces to Navarra and whatever I can take from Portugal in order to make vassalizing it easier on following wars. Give nothing to France to curtail their expansion and give them a truce with England. After the Reconquista, punch France in the face.

France is going to rival you and probably declare war on you for taking their cores from England.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ally Austria + England, use them to beat up France, then beat up Portugal after while England is still hosed from the war with France. Burgundy can also be handy for this.
Or wait for France to go to war with England, then snag the northern provinces from Portugal while England can't help them.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

skasion posted:

How many centers of reformation are you supposed to be able to spawn with trade policies? I have one running in Bengal and another in Indus, but can’t add another in Malacca because “You already have a center of reformation”.

:iiam: or just buggy. I had two in India as well and it wouldn't let me start a new one in Moluccas - switched the indian ones to another mode, then switched all three to conversion mode and it worked, creating 3 centers of reformation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd really like a notification when an army has reached 100% drill so I can move the general on to an new one and train that up as well. It would be very convenient. :)

edit
One of these is unusual. Way too go.

Manufactories!

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 6, 2017

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I was doing a Venice game and the early manufactory building makes such a nice difference in how much cash you can earn, it's crazy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have a decent strategy or guide for Gold Rush? I want to try that + I'll Graze My Horse Here... and Here.

I don't know how much harder or easier that may have become with the Russian Immersion Pack and CoC's changes to Islam.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

This but unironically.

Vastly increased attrition rates, so that pre-modern armies are always shrinking, even in European terrain, would certainly, unironically, be the one thing to change to make EU4 warfare more realistic (those slower historical army movement speeds they measured would have been decided by precarious supply situation, slow baggage trains and constant raiding excursions for forage).

However, I might be misremembering a decade old dev diary from one of the earlier games, but wasn't the present low attrition rate decided by the AI's inability to properly account for the dangers of higher rates?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, the reason attrition is capped so low is because the AI can't deal with it. It used to go up to 20% back in early EU4.

AI understanding attrition properly so they could do stuff like that again is legitimately my biggest wish for this game, but I kinda understand that it's hard to do.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The other problem is that it's about a billion times more micro. Because nothing says fun like having to individually move like 7 different stacks in unison for every little conflict to avoid losing half your manpower pool to attrition.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

Almost done a "The Buddhists strike back" run (own all of India as Ceylon and convert it all the Theravada) and I've had a few funny things happen so far.

First, a decent sized Russia under a PU with France. (It didn't last long). Also featured is french Denmark/Lower Sweden.

Second, Brittany who became a tributary of Ming because they had a single colony in Indonesia. Yay for goofy tributary system. I should note that everything else Brittany owns is in Europe, as their one colony (Canada) rebelled against them.

For those curious, this is where I'm at. I need to finish off Jaunpur which will be easy, and then I have a hell war with Ming/Orissa to take about a dozen provinces from Orissa. Sadly forming Bahrat isn't allowed, which is a shame as I could have used the Perma claims.

Currently I'm building ton of forts on the border to hopefully kill them with attrition. For Ideas I have Defense, Offensive, Quality, and Aristocratic. I also have 100% Army Professionalism so my troops are strong to say the least, it's just a matter of having them run out/die to rebels during their war. Their next heir has low legitimacy, and I'm going to keep a spy ready to support any rebel groups when the war starts, so I think I'll have a decent chance.

EDIT: Oh, and this was the aftermath of the France/Russia PU war that eventually hapened.

EDIT 2: And now Russia is under Brandenburg.

Lagnar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 7, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m having a bitch of a time doing Savoy->Italy

I’ve completely forgotten how to play this game

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I'm Pomerania that is holding onto Königsberg so Brandenburg doesn't turn into Prussia.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Node posted:

Does anyone have a decent strategy or guide for Gold Rush? I want to try that + I'll Graze My Horse Here... and Here.

I don't know how much harder or easier that may have become with the Russian Immersion Pack and CoC's changes to Islam.

i would guess obviously harder with third rome and probably easier with this patch because nogai/kazan aren't going to get a strong ally in timurids. what you want is poland/lithuania as an ally and muscovy to rival denmark

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So far I've gotten no where since everyone around me allies with each other, and Muscovy is ridiculously powerful with all its vassals. I don't think this achievement was considered with Third Rome. I'm sure you can do it if the stars align and Muscovy gets its poo poo pushed in, some how.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Has there been any change to trade/tax mechanics in this patch? It seems that everyone is a lot richer somehow. I'm having less cash problems with gold with Poland, unlike every other game, and from the midpoint on it felt like everyone I fought it a war had several thousand ducats just laying around for the taking in peace deals.

It could be that somehow in this game livestock got RIDICULOUSLY valuable, spending centuries way bordering 5 ducats value. Who needs iron or spices, give me cows any day!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Node posted:

So far I've gotten no where since everyone around me allies with each other, and Muscovy is ridiculously powerful with all its vassals. I don't think this achievement was considered with Third Rome. I'm sure you can do it if the stars align and Muscovy gets its poo poo pushed in, some how.

As easy as it is to actually play them in 3rd Rome, the AI doesn’t always do a great job. Specifically, Muscovy eats poo poo reasonably often in this patch if 1) Ottos get and integrate Crimea and 2) P-L keeps it together and forms Commonwealth successfully. If this happens, both will inevitably rival Muscovy and if one declares, the damage they will do to Muscovy’s army means the other one will almost certainly declare as well and beat the poo poo out of them. Then Muscovy can get stuck in a nasty truce cycle between the two of them and never recover. However, this usually starts to really bite them in like, 1600 so I don’t think it would be much help for Gold Rush.

e: unrelated but the Aisin Gioro managed to sneak onto the throne of Ming somehow in my Mughals game, despite all of Manchuria being eaten by Korea and Japan for centuries as usual. I feel like if the AI can pull that off it should get a free Qing formation — god knows they’re not going to do it any other way.

skasion fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 7, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

an income what is nice

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sephyr posted:

Has there been any change to trade/tax mechanics in this patch? It seems that everyone is a lot richer somehow. I'm having less cash problems with gold with Poland, unlike every other game, and from the midpoint on it felt like everyone I fought it a war had several thousand ducats just laying around for the taking in peace deals.
IIRC they taught the AI to actually build money buildings and they were so bad at it before the difference is huge.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 7, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Ally Austria + England, use them to beat up France, then beat up Portugal after while England is still hosed from the war with France. Burgundy can also be handy for this.
Or wait for France to go to war with England, then snag the northern provinces from Portugal while England can't help them.

This is what I did but without allying England; England is known for not helping its allies anyway so gently caress em, Austria is good enough to help you beat up France. Tunnel through France until you reach the HRE, continue taking French and HRE provinces until you're ready to become emperor, then become emperor.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Fat Samurai posted:

That's a fine way to do it. I did it by doing a marriage with Burgundy and got the Inheritance (as well as the Wedding, so not much messing with Aragon) and kinda just... sidestepped France, granted that's luck based. Carving a bloody path through France is more consistent and you don't need a lot of transports. After that it was just managing colonies while waiting for AE to die down or Austria to be busy so I could vassalize electors. Also fought in a League hellwar to keep my religion being the dominant one.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 7, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sephyr posted:

It could be that somehow in this game livestock got RIDICULOUSLY valuable, spending centuries way bordering 5 ducats value. Who needs iron or spices, give me cows any day!

1. AI actually uses buildings properly now so they're richer because of that. This also means that they make more manufactories so there's more trade value in the world for everyone to enjoy.

2. Trade value of goods in general has gone up due to revamp of trade goods and also there are more price increase events than previously. Livestock having replaced many grain provinces is a big deal as livestock ends up decently valuable.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Lagnar posted:

Almost done a "The Buddhists strike back" run (own all of India as Ceylon and convert it all the Theravada) and I've had a few funny things happen so far.

This run sounds a lot of fun, how'd you handle the start?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Node posted:

Take the gold mine from Kazan ASAP and dev push it for Feudalism and insane amounts of ducats

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Node posted:

In one of my Great horde games I managed to at least get Muscovys vassals to break off by supporting their independence (Perm seems the best candidate) while Muscovy was momentarily weakened fighting Novgorod, Poland pushed their poo poo in shortly after that, but that just meant Poland had what was needed for Gold rush now. I did not get the Gold rush achievement but it made getting the Grazing here and there one a breeze. Hordes can expand so explosively if they can stabilize.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hordes own so hard

Firebatgyro posted:

Take the gold mine from Kazan ASAP and dev push it for Feudalism and insane amounts of ducats

you should develop the gold obviously but feudalism should come from ryazan/the caucus guys what got it. make sure you don't raze the feudalism provinces until after you embrace

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

DDRJake did a very hard run Gold Rush with the last patch and it was crazy to watch.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

KoldPT posted:

This run sounds a lot of fun, how'd you handle the start?

Rushed to conquer as much of the other minors in southern India before Vijayanagar warned me which they would do every time, it was just a matter of when. I found sending 2 diplomats out to fabricate claims, while the third improved relations with Vijayanagar was a good strategy, as it delayed their warning for at least a war or two.

I also developed* like crazy when each of the first 3 institutions spawned, even for military (which was super risky in hindsight). For allies, i used Gujarat and Orissa, however whoever is alive north of you will suffice I feel. After the minors were all dead, I called in both of my allies to fight Vijayanagar, promising them land but not giving them any thus resulting in them not getting any bigger, while also having a truce timer with Vijayanagar so they didn't steal any land and thus overwhelm me.

Developing is the key here IMO, as it gives you more manpower/forcelimit, while also providing more money to give you higher level advisors to give more MP, etc etc etc you get the idea. I cant imagine doing this run without developing honestly.

Shortly after Mandate of Heaven launched, it was possible to become a tributary of Ming and thus have no need to worry about defensive wars, however I haven't been able to do that since cradle of Civilization launched. I mention this, as I believe it is still possible, just very unlikely. I believe, with allies you could also go a colonization strategy, however I didn't bother with it this run.

*Important note when developing: Don't accept an institution right away. Wait until you have a shitload of MP (ideally nearly capped) to accept it, as accepting it will result in it spreading through your lands faster, and thus spreading to you nearby enemies faster as well. By saving MP and waiting to embrace, I was able to suddenly go from a tech or two behind, to equal if not ahead in tech which was key in winning wars.

Sorry if that was wordy, I can go into more detail RE: ideas and such if you like, however really nailing the first 10ish years is key.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
I got Gold rush by 1475, started with Crimea so they wouldnt have time to seek Ottoman protection. Attack Muscovy preferably as they attack Novgorod, and before mil tech 5. Only fight in flat terrain where you get your horde bonuses, goal isnt to take land asap but to weaken Muscovy so Kazaan attacks them. They can still hold out for surprisingly long even if fighting on three fronts, but they will buckle and you can carpet them. Probably release Russian land to orthodox vassals, since you dont really have the time to deal with rebels.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Theoretically if you develop Madurai fast enough you can get Faceting to fire there which would be pretty great, I'm waiting for the inevitable "make India more interesting" pass before trying this though. The requirements (especially the prestige requirement) mean that this almost always fires in Constantinople unless you specifically work to beat them to it.

If anyone else thinks that this sounds like a fun idea Hormuz is also a good province to develop for this.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 7, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Got bored so I'm doing an Ainu run where right at the start I tag switched to Ming, console tanked their stability and agreed to the demands of all the separatists to have a fun thunderdome.

:cawg:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poil posted:

Got bored so I'm doing an Ainu run where right at the start I tag switched to Ming, console tanked their stability and agreed to the demands of all the separatists to have a fun thunderdome.

:cawg:

Turnabout is fair play.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I usually console tank their mandate & stability and give them max war exhaustion a couple of times per year until they break, even when I play in Europe and don't plan on expanding east (beyond colonizing the spice islands). I think I might still be carrying a grudge from my old Japan game....

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AG3 posted:

I usually console tank their mandate & stability and give them max war exhaustion a couple of times per year until they break, even when I play in Europe and don't plan on expanding east (beyond colonizing the spice islands). I think I might still be carrying a grudge from my old Japan game....
That's fun too, but I wanted everything set up on the first day of the game. :getin:

edit
What is wrong with the colonialism institution? It's 1513 and I'm more than halfway to establishing a colonial nation and it still hasn't triggered. Is there a hidden modifier that also needs to be triggered before it spawns? Is the game rolling dice for provinces and if it rolls a province number that isn't eligible it doesn't spawn?

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 8, 2017

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Poil posted:

edit
What is wrong with the colonialism institution? It's 1513 and I'm more than halfway to establishing a colonial nation and it still hasn't triggered. Is there a hidden modifier that also needs to be triggered before it spawns? Is the game rolling dice for provinces and if it rolls a province number that isn't eligible it doesn't spawn?

It's rolling dice for eligible provinces and it's only a 10% chance per province every year. If only two or three nations have taken Exploration, then there might only be handful of provinces that meet the conditions (12 dev, coastal, same area as capitol).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

Various Meat Products posted:

It's rolling dice for eligible provinces and it's only a 10% chance per province every year. If only two or three nations have taken Exploration, then there might only be handful of provinces that meet the conditions (12 dev, coastal, same area as capitol).
Thanks. I guess that's why it always feels like the game is desperately waiting until an AI country can spawn it instead of me. It popped up in Essex several years later. :argh:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

That's fun too, but I wanted everything set up on the first day of the game. :getin:

edit

It seems to have a bigger bias towards Europe as well since last patch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fun bug: if you get the “Education of a (ruler)” event that fires during regencies and adds 2 to your choice of the ruler’s stats when he reaches majority, and then get the event where an adult ruler seizes the throne from the poor kid, the usurper will still get the education bonus like nothing happened.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hmm, got a mission to make the Ming like me. Not a bad idea, I've got enough enemies right now. I wonder what Asia looks like at the moment...

...Huh. Looks like Ming is having a tribute war with the entire indochinese peninsula and losing.

And the Yan exist. Totally normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That can happen. Ming has had similar recurring trouble with a large Arakan in my current game. My guess is that the crappy terrain in Indochina makes it difficult for them to bring their superior numbers to bear against a respectable-size enemy. It’s rare to see Chinese minors popping out without the country totally collapsing though, something must really be doing a number on them.