Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It may be here:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/938589909119635457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

plot thickens.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/938592436816941056

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Why though? I don't think Ohtani cares that much about money since he's giving up a ton coming to the US now, and half the teams on his shortlist can only offer ~$300,000

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Teams should have to actually hand over that money and not just the "allocation" that their team possesses, and uhhh that has nothing to do with the Rangers being the team with the most IFA bonus pool right now.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Poor sad Twins front office.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So it comes down to which team Ohtani would like to not win the AL West with next season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hey did you ever finish that Tebow musical piece

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poque posted:

Sounds like he's in the Best Shape Of His Life.

Steroids'll do that for you.

Or so I'm told, I'm sure Raffy doesn't know anything about it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why though? I don't think Ohtani cares that much about money since he's giving up a ton coming to the US now, and half the teams on his shortlist can only offer ~$300,000

It could be that, after having met with Ohtani, teams got the sense some extra money to offer would be beneficial in swaying him, although that'd be contrary to everything we've heard up to this point. It could also be that they're just doing everything they can to get Ohtani, up to and including picking up some extra bonus money just in case. Maybe it's completely unrelated to Ohtani and they want to sign some of the recently released Angels prospects.

I'm inclined to think it's the second one and that if Ohtani had signaled during his meetings that he was looking for more money than the Cubs/Giants/Dodgers could offer, we'd have heard about it by now.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 7, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

It could be that, after having met with Ohtani, teams got the sense some extra money to offer would be beneficial in swaying him, although that'd be contrary to everything we've heard up to this point. It could also be that they're just doing everything they can to get Ohtani, up to and including picking up some extra bonus money just in case. Maybe it's completely unrelated to Ohtani and they want to sign some of the recently released Angels prospects.

I'm inclined to think it's the second one and that if Ohtani had signaled during his meetings that he was looking for more money than the Cubs/Giants/Dodgers could offer, we'd have heard about it by now.

Perhaps seeing teams making the effort to acquire extra bonus money is the confirmation for the first scenario?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is he trying to reset the clock on his HoF eligibility?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SourKraut posted:

Perhaps seeing teams making the effort to acquire extra bonus money is the confirmation for the first scenario?

Maybe? I expected it in the form of "SOURCE: OHTANI WANTS MONEY AFTER ALL SAYS GM" tweets, but you're right. But it could also be the reverse in that the Angels and Mariners came out of their meetings feeling like they were behind the curve and scrambled for extra pool money as a last ditch effort to stay in the conversation. Or they figure that even if money isn't Ohtani's highest priority the gesture of going out and trading for more money to give him would be appreciated. I'm just disinclined to believe the race is down to who can put the most bonus pool money forward when four of the seven contestants are hard capped at $300k.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Don’t read too much into it.

All four NL teams are capped because they went over their bonus pools last year. The Rangers have more money than everyone else by well over a million.

The only two other teams left are the ones making those trades presumably because the Twins called them up and said they were moving their remaining funds. Twins are laughing all the way to the bank.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Saw this posted about seasons since the Astros came into the league

quote:

*Random 2017 Astros Fact:

Since 1962 there have been 1488 seasons in baseball (the number of teams multiplied by years since the beginning of the 1962 season). According to FanGraphs the 2017 Astros posted a 121 wRC+ - meaning the Astros' offense was 21% better than league average. Here's how that ranks among all teams since 1962:

Nevermind the numbers that follow: that's a very unfortunate number of total seasons. But I guess appropriate for current America

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There are other foreign prospects besides Ohtani to spend money on. And teams can only spend like $5 million on them. Even though a first round pick from the US gets a bigger bonus than that all by himself. Which seems fair

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Pussy Boss posted:

There are other foreign prospects besides Ohtani to spend money on. And teams can only spend like $5 million on them. Even though a first round pick from the US gets a bigger bonus than that all by himself. Which seems fair

I mean you won’t be sad having the bonus money and the Twins are making out like bandits.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean you won’t be sad having the bonus money and the Twins are making out like bandits.

God I can't imagine something clever happening in the Smith/Ryan days.

Thank sweet baseball Jesus.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Teams should have to actually hand over that money and not just the "allocation" that their team possesses, and uhhh that has nothing to do with the Rangers being the team with the most IFA bonus pool right now.

I'm pretty sure it is actual money, it can just only be spent on IFA stuff for that year.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking forward to the Giants getting neither Otani or Stanton and still winning the World Series.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

mlbtraderumors.com posted:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic writes (subscription required & recommended) that there are those in the game who wonder if Ohtani’s decision has already been made. The expedited manner in which Ohtani eliminated 23 teams and then met with seven finalists has been a point of frustration for some clubs, Rosenthal writes, noting that execs from some East coast teams have privately wondered why they were asked to put so much time into their presentations for Ohtani when he ultimately eliminated the East coast in one swoop.

:qq:

Welcome to the life of other 99%

"Hey boss how did you like that presentation I spent all weekend on?"

"oh, I never read it. Could you just summarize it for me?"

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 7, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's always a blessing when the east coast is forced to reckon with the fact that not everybody wants to suck its dick

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rand alPaul posted:

Looking forward to the Giants getting neither Otani or Stanton and still winning the World Series.

I can accept this reality

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ScottyJSno posted:

:qq:

Welcome to the life of other 99%

"Hey boss how did you like that presentation I spent all weekend on?"

"oh, I never read it. Could you just summarize it for me?"

Let's also just ignore the fact that the Rangers and Cubs both showed that if you'd put together an exceptionally strong pitch Ohtani was willing to listen. I don't know if the Yankees FO is capable of understanding that maybe a player wasn't wowed by their team simply by virtue of it being the Yankees, though.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm going to give Ohtani the benefit of the doubt and assume that no matter what the presentation he would have come to the correct conclusion "gently caress the Yankees."

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I'm going to give Ohtani the benefit of the doubt and assume that no matter what the presentation he would have come to the correct conclusion "gently caress the Yankees."

Maybe that's what all the so-far succeeding presentations have been, and the teams that have continued on simply came up with the best ways to do it!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
How in the world did Boston get eliminated so quickly then?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Meydey posted:

I want to see a playoff game where he is DH'ing on an off day, but then is switched in to pitch the 9th.

Edit as M's fan: I want to see a playoff game where he is DH'ing on an off day, but then is switched in to pitch the 9th.

It happened in the Pacific League Climax Series final in 2016. Nippon-Ham held a 7-4 lead going into the 9th, up 3-2 in the series, so they put Ohtani on the mound to close it out. (They would go on to win the Nippon Series that year. Ohtani was also named Best Nine as pitcher and DH, marking the first time in history the Pacific League Best Nine actually consisted of nine players)

http://npb.jp/scores/2016/1016/f-h-05/box.html

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

How in the world did Boston get eliminated so quickly then?

Because gently caress the red sox

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Because gently caress the red sox

:agreed:

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

Is he trying to reset the clock on his HoF eligibility?

Maybe? If he is, it's ill-thought out, which is classic Palmeiro. He fell off the writer's ballot in 2014, and my understanding is once you drop of the ballot you aren't reconsidered. The Veteran's Committee is a different matter entirely.

rickiep00h posted:

God I can't imagine something clever happening in the Smith/Ryan days.

Thank sweet baseball Jesus.

It feels weird to have faith in this front office again.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
thats gold glove winner rafael palmiero to you

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My favorite part of the Palmiero comeback story is how his two kids play professional ball and he's like "Nah gently caress them I'm still better then both of 'em."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apparently some guy on reddit bought a former milb catcher's gear bag and it still had the signs for the Rangers in it

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

IcePhoenix posted:

Apparently some guy on reddit bought a former milb catcher's gear bag and it still had the signs for the Rangers in it

Spring Training signs. I’d wager that they just use the same signs for all of spring training to make it easy for everyone, especially with as many people playing as there is over the course of it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Love to make my sign cheat sheet in excel (poorly).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can barely remember the handful of signs in rec ball, being a catcher would suck.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Spring Training signs. I’d wager that they just use the same signs for all of spring training to make it easy for everyone, especially with as many people playing as there is over the course of it.

That actually makes sense. I always thought that I'd be a poor MLB or NFL player even if I was a solid athlete, because of all the poo poo I'd have to remember. I have a learning disability that makes detailed instructions difficult to absorb, I'd probably have assholes start referring to me as uncoachable and such.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Poque posted:

It's always a blessing when the east coast is forced to reckon with the fact that not everybody wants to suck its dick

The owners are literally mad that they had to do a presentation to sign a $200,000,000 player for league minimum (a system that owners coincidentally voted to implement)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

I can barely remember the handful of signs in rec ball, being a catcher would suck.

In my amateur league I was asked to be 3rd base coach which meant I had to do signs. I was like "this is easy" but I realized that it's actually quite hard to not do the same thing over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

In my amateur league I was asked to be 3rd base coach which meant I had to do signs. I was like "this is easy" but I realized that it's actually quite hard to not do the same thing over and over again.

Yep, on our team it's usually last guy out from last inning coaches 1st or 3rd. 1st is pretty easy, just gotta yell "back!" for a pick off and keep the runner aware of the situation. I always try to avoid coaching 3rd cause I hate having to make up signs and I'm overly conscious of trying to avoid accidentally giving a real sign.

One time I was coaching 3rd and the guy at the plate tried to bunt for a base hit 3 times in a row. I wasn't giving him the bunt sign but I'm sure the other team thought I was an idiot who desperately wanted this guy to bunt.

• Locked thread