Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is the SSD removable on the 2016s? You should take it to an AASP and have them test the SSD and the display assembly. That's what survived when I killed my laptop, anyway! Those parts known-good fetch a pretty price on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There is also this guy: https://www.rossmanngroup.com/water-damage-laptop-liquid-spill-repair/

He is fairly well known on YouTube. Specializes in component level repair on Apple products, something that Apple does not do, thus making it much cheaper.

Apple never actually repairs anything. They just replace parts and charge accordingly.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My early 2011 MBP is starting to exhibit video issues again just 2 years after having the logic board replaced under the repair extension program. Seems like they just threw in more boards with the same GPU defect rather than correcting the issue. I assume I am SOL on having this repaired again? Was really hoping to make it to the release of the new Mac Pros or even the next MBP refresh before upgrading this laptop...thanks Apple.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My daughter wants a MacBook for xmas this year. I know nothing about those laptops. It's either a MacBook Air or Pro. 13.5" I guess. She's going to be a freshman in high school next year. Is the Pro really necessary? Seems like a nicer display, but how bad could the MacBook Air's really be? Its like $1000 vs $1300.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The MacBook Air is very bad. Do not buy one now. The display is gross. The entry level Pro is a good machine (although I'd bump up the storage), but are you sure she wouldn't be happier with the thin & light MacBook? It has a long battery life, it is incredibly light, it is powerful enough for most tasks (you'd let us know if she was planning on editing 4K video right?)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Burt Sexual posted:

My daughter wants a MacBook for xmas this year. I know nothing about those laptops. It's either a MacBook Air or Pro. 13.5" I guess. She's going to be a freshman in high school next year. Is the Pro really necessary? Seems like a nicer display, but how bad could the MacBook Air's really be? Its like $1000 vs $1300.

The Air fine other than the fact that it has a 7 year old display. It was a nice screen when it came out but doesn't compare to IPS screens of today, much less a Retina screen. It's still very usable, it's much better than the abomination of a screen the ThinkPad had for all those years.

I wouldn't pay near retail for a new one, though. Best Buy has them as low as $775 (watch Slickdeals) for the base 13"

I would be leery of buying either the base Air or the base MBP 13" because they only have 128GB SSD's

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pivo posted:

The MacBook Air is very bad. Do not buy one now. The display is gross. The entry level Pro is a good machine (although I'd bump up the storage), but are you sure she wouldn't be happier with the thin & light MacBook? It has a long battery life, it is incredibly light, it is powerful enough for most tasks (you'd let us know if she was planning on editing 4K video right?)

Uh "thin and light MacBook"? She sent two links on for Air one for Pro. I'll have to look around for that. Yeah she's not a heavy user at all. (lol my daughter isn't fat)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Uh "thin and light MacBook"? She sent two links on for Air one for Pro. I'll have to look around for that. Yeah she's not a heavy user at all. (lol my daughter isn't fat)

https://www.apple.com/macbook/

It's $1300 USD, but it comes with 256GB storage and if I were a 13 year old girl, I'd want to bring that to school every day instead of a Pro. Which isn't big, but it's bigger. If she wants an Air, the MacBook is the spiritual successor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get her an iPad Pro :devil::greencube:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pivo posted:

It's $1300 USD, but it comes with 256GB storage and if I were a 13 year old girl, I'd want to bring that to school every day instead of a Pro. Which isn't big, but it's bigger. If she wants an Air, the MacBook is the spiritual successor.

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/results/?product1=macbook&product2=macbook-pro-13

Yeah thanks SHSC dudes. The screen is 1" smaller, but it seems more travel friendly. She wants to to do homework so I'm presuming the keyboard is full sized?

e: appears so.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 6, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The keyboard is full size. IIRC the keys are slightly bigger but the distance between them is slightly smaller.

If she ends up hating it and really wants a Pro, Apple has an extended return period for the holidays, and you are good for a refund/exchange for any reason until January 8.

My strong advice is: Don't buy an Air, don't buy a machine with 128GB storage. Anything else is up to you!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pivo posted:

The keyboard is full size. IIRC the keys are slightly bigger but the distance between them is slightly smaller.

If she ends up hating it and really wants a Pro, Apple has an extended return period for the holidays, and you are good for a refund/exchange for any reason until January 8.

My strong advice is: Don't buy an Air, don't buy a machine with 128GB storage. Anything else is up to you!

Got it. Thanks for the advice. Now all I have to do is pick the color lol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

I got my nephew and niece a MacBook each as their Christmas/graduation gift for HS. Neither are heavy computer users. They're a year apart and my nephew got his mid senior year last Christmas, and my niece is getting hers this year for Christmas. My nephew loves it and has found it the perfect size for school and it has enough to do everything he needs.

It also worked out because my niece's favorite color is pink and she's gonna love the Rose Gold model.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

poo poo, man, can I be your nephew? I want one for absolutely no reason, I have 3 computers and an iPad, I'm just amazed by how tiny it is whenever I'm in the store. I'd have liked that in uni ... instead I brought my 17" everywhere!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Got it. Thanks for the advice. Now all I have to do is pick the color lol.

Apple Refurb Store has the latest 2017 Models for $200 off BTW. Warranty is exactly the same as brand new and everyone swears by them.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FNYH2LL/A/Refurbished-12-inch-MacBook-12GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-m3-Silver

Poke around there, all the colors are available. Last year's model is there for $950 which isn't bad, but 2017 has refreshed processors and the improved keyboard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

poo poo, man, can I be your nephew? I want one for absolutely no reason, I have 3 computers and an iPad, I'm just amazed by how tiny it is whenever I'm in the store. I'd have liked that in uni ... instead I brought my 17" everywhere!

LOL, sorry you're on your own.

It all started when I bought the 2nd gen in 2016. I was evaluating it as a work computer. It's a good little piece of hardware. It even ran PyCharm without any irritable lag (although start up time for PyCharm was definitely noticeable). It fell down when I tried to use it with my VMs (as in more than one at the same time).

Since I had for more than 30 days and didn't want to go through the Craigslist/eBay hassle I figured I'd gift it to my nephew as stated. Then I realized I trapped myself and had to get my niece one as well. Plus I have one more niece who will be a senior in two years.

Worth it though. I don't have kids myself, so it's nice to spoil the poo poo out of them.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Proteus Jones posted:

LOL, sorry you're on your own.

It all started when I bought the 2nd gen in 2016. I was evaluating it as a work computer. It's a good little piece of hardware. It even ran PyCharm without any irritable lag (although start up time for PyCharm was definitely noticeable). It fell down when I tried to use it with my VMs (as in more than one at the same time).

Since I had for more than 30 days and didn't want to go through the Craigslist/eBay hassle I figured I'd gift it to my nephew as stated. Then I realized I trapped myself and had to get my niece one as well. Plus I have one more niece who will be a senior in two years.

Worth it though. I don't have kids myself, so it's nice to spoil the poo poo out of them.

Lol my daughter already has a surface that I absolutely tried to talk her out of two years ago. But I had a huge discount and wanted to play with it for work. Then came the iPad mini. And I swear by them, posting on now.

Then my wife got a free android pos from Verizon for Reuppimg then my son wanted one etc

I had to up my router to a space rear end looking dlink thing with tri band to limit the devices. I’m Rural. I’m giving away like two tablets to college kids I know as a secret Santa.

I’m over sharing rn

E: then I got a 3 camera Nest system lol. I love unmetered usage :(

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is a current gen MacBook (refurb) worth the cost? I'm looking into getting an ultrabook-type laptop for school and programming purposes. I really enjoy the Mac OS atmosphere, the build quality, and the appearance, but the USB-C seems frustrating (though I haven't used a USB stick in a while, so I suppose a dongle wouldn't be that bad). I had a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air previously and loved both to pieces, and if my MacBook Air didn't break from me clumsily dropping it I'd probably still be using it to this day (it was a 2015 model I believe).

Looking at laptop reviews online, a lot of people seem to be down on their MacBooks. I'm curious what people here have to say about them, the pros versus the cons, and what someone looking for a solid laptop that'll last the next few years should look for.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The MacBook is very very good. I love mine so much.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Is a current gen MacBook (refurb) worth the cost? I'm looking into getting an ultrabook-type laptop for school and programming purposes. I really enjoy the Mac OS atmosphere, the build quality, and the appearance, but the USB-C seems frustrating (though I haven't used a USB stick in a while, so I suppose a dongle wouldn't be that bad). I had a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air previously and loved both to pieces, and if my MacBook Air didn't break from me clumsily dropping it I'd probably still be using it to this day (it was a 2015 model I believe).

Looking at laptop reviews online, a lot of people seem to be down on their MacBooks. I'm curious what people here have to say about them, the pros versus the cons, and what someone looking for a solid laptop that'll last the next few years should look for.

What kind of programming (how hard are you going to be pushing the hardware)?

The MacBook is a perfectly cromulent laptop for general schoolwork (nephew and niece *love* it). I've used to develop automation scripts in Python while I was evaluating it and was satisfied. If you're looking to run some VMs on the regular you might be disappointed. In that case I'd recommend the entry-level rMBP (refurb) if cost is an issue.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to determine what method is used to calculate SSD write cycle wear by the drives Apple uses? My 2013 iMac internal drive smart status indicates the write cycle status value is FAILING NOW but the total MiB written is only 11TB for a 500GB drive. At most that should be only 20 some read write cycles so why the hell is the drive indicating a failure?

I plan to install a second SATA SSD sometime within the next couple weeks but I’m kinda pissed the internal SSD crapped out at only 11TB written. Is there additional factors that can cause issues I’m missing?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There's more than just the wear level indicator- there's also pending bad sectors, bad sectors, CRC errors..

I've seen (platter) drives with lots of bad sectors immediately written off as FAILING in Disk Utility, which actually is a step up back from when Apple used to blithely ignore bad sectors. Could swear that only recently was Storage Diagnostics modded to fail drives even if there was only one bad sector.

Have also seen Apple SSDs with 1-4 bad sectors that literally stay at that same level for years and then go straight to read-only mode (happened a lot with those hokey PATA SSD's that Apple used in the first generation of MacBook Airs.)

You might want to try the SMART Utility Demo or DriveDx if you want to see some more SMART metrics described in detail.

Also, some drives (SSD and platter-based) will have a part below spec or some other manufacturing glitch and fail for no good reason. Just gotta switch it out.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 7, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just tried ordering the MacBook from BestBuy.com and in store pick up (avoiding porch pirating) and their website wouldn't let me check out in either Chrome or IE. laffo best buy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Could be an ad-blocker messing with the site

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Could be an ad-blocker messing with the site

Not allowed plugins at work, no adblockers.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

There's more than just the wear level indicator- there's also pending bad sectors, bad sectors, CRC errors..

All other smart checks were 0 or not relevant (such as power on hours). The wear level indicator is the only thing causing the smart status failure and I’d kinda like to know why that’s indicating an issue at only 20 write cycles. It just doesn’t make sense, shouldn’t I be able to put on a couple thousand before wear is an issue? Sometime in a couple years I plan to replace this computer and would like to make sure this isn’t something that is expected to be required in only 4 years of use. If so, I won’t be getting an iMac since the swap is such a PITA.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Verisimilidude posted:

Is a current gen MacBook (refurb) worth the cost? I'm looking into getting an ultrabook-type laptop for school and programming purposes. I really enjoy the Mac OS atmosphere, the build quality, and the appearance, but the USB-C seems frustrating

Ask yourself, very honestly, can you live with one USB port and possibly live with not being plugged in to power or a monitor while using that one USB port

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Ask yourself, very honestly, can you live with one USB port and possibly live with not being plugged in to power or a monitor while using that one USB port

Why without monitor or power? The Apple adapter is perfectly serviceable for that. I use it all the time with my rMBP and I gave one each to both my nephew and niece and they use it all the time with their rMB.

A friend of mine also has the Anker with passthrough power over USB-C and HDMI out and it works fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5N3YCD/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

freezepops posted:

All other smart checks were 0 or not relevant (such as power on hours). The wear level indicator is the only thing causing the smart status failure and I’d kinda like to know why that’s indicating an issue at only 20 write cycles. It just doesn’t make sense, shouldn’t I be able to put on a couple thousand before wear is an issue? Sometime in a couple years I plan to replace this computer and would like to make sure this isn’t something that is expected to be required in only 4 years of use. If so, I won’t be getting an iMac since the swap is such a PITA.

Can you post a dump of all the SMART data (or maybe copy to pastebin and post a link to it, since it'll be a wall of text)? Ideally from command line smartmontools. If you don't want to install that, this free GUI diagnostic tool includes smartmontools and will run it for you (run it, then click on "Show SMART report" in the output):

https://etrecheck.com

(no prior experience with this program, found it just now, but it appears to have originated from users in Apple's support forums and should be trustworthy)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, I've used EtreCheck a few times.

Also, if you care to, install Homebrew on your Mac and install smartmontools, you'll get smartmontools 6.6, the latest version.

I believe it also has an updated database of SSDs to check through for known idiosyncrasies with particular makes/models.

Here's the output from mine:

code:
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [Darwin 15.6.0 x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Apple SD/SM/TS...E/F/G SSDs
Device Model:     APPLE SSD SM512E
Serial Number:    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
LU WWN Device Id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware Version: CXM07A1Q
User Capacity:    500,277,790,720 bytes [500 GB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4c
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Thu Dec  7 15:56:33 2017 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Why without monitor or power? The Apple adapter is perfectly serviceable for that. I use it all the time with my rMBP and I gave one each to both my nephew and niece and they use it all the time with their rMB.

A friend of mine also has the Anker with passthrough power over USB-C and HDMI out and it works fine.

The Apple hdmi adapter doesn't work reliably with usb drives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

No usb 3.0....

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

The Apple hdmi adapter doesn't work reliably with usb drives.

Never had an issue with it. I've regularly used a Samsung T3 SSD with it and the T5 SSD upgrade I recently purchased.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Here is the smarten dump: https://pastebin.com/raw/T4FHiLJ5

However, after doing some more digging it appears that the SM0512F likely has a FW bug for this value. Theres a lot of people with the same size SSD/device model/firmware that report the issue. The 173 ID flag also doesn't follow any other convention I've read on the wear leveling count (generally trending to 0 with a threshold of 16) and this drive reports a threshold of 100.

So with that in mind, is there a way to force the Mac OS High Sierra to install? The drive selection screen won't allow the internal drive to be selected because it thinks its failing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

freezepops posted:

However, after doing some more digging it appears that the SM0512F likely has a FW bug for this value. Theres a lot of people with the same size SSD/device model/firmware that report the issue. The 173 ID flag also doesn't follow any other convention I've read on the wear leveling count (generally trending to 0 with a threshold of 16) and this drive reports a threshold of 100.

So with that in mind, is there a way to force the Mac OS High Sierra to install? The drive selection screen won't allow the internal drive to be selected because it thinks its failing.

I don’t understand any of this but I hope it doesn’t change my purchase of a MacBook 💻 tomorrow

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

No usb 3.0....
I mean, I picked this one because it supports 4k@60hz, but if you don't need that, there are lots of other options.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

freezepops posted:

Install it to HFS+ on an external drive and use CCC to clone it onto your internal drive :q:

edit: Q does not mean this isn't a real thing you could do

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

freezepops posted:

So, for what it's worth, you and I both have a SM0512F with firmware UXM2JA1Q, but mine isn't doing this. Here's my drive's SMART attributes:

code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x001a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       15931
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   078   078   000    Old_age   Always       -       21763
169 Unknown_Attribute       0x0013   253   253   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       4119561510400
173 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0032   189   189   100    Old_age   Always       -       266310910118
174 Host_Reads_MiB          0x0022   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       17496245
175 Host_Writes_MiB         0x0022   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       22222713
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       194
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   065   065   000    Old_age   Always       -       35 (Min/Max 13/66)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x001a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
240 Unknown_SSD_Attribute   0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
I also have a weird looking raw value for Wear Leveling Count, but my non-raw value is 189, well above the threshold. I have significantly more host writes than you do, and we're both well below the amount of host writes you'd expect to result in drive failure. That all fits with the idea that a bug is causing some SM0512F drives to mistakenly report their Wear Leveling Count as a failure.

On the other hand, a worse kind of firmware bug in a SSD could also explain this. In order to accomplish wear leveling, SSDs end up needing to write more bytes to the media than the host actually writes. The ratio between the two is called the amplification factor. Firmware bugginess can make a SSD go into a state where, though it operates correctly (remembers what you wrote to it), it has a really horrible write amplification factor, wearing the media out very quickly.

If that hypothesis is true, and the Wear_Leveling_Count field is proportional to total bytes written to media, you could have a real problem. Your raw WLC value is roughly 45x mine, and my host writes value is about 45x the drive's capacity. If we assume I'm at a amplification factor of 2.0 (so my drive's media has had 90 overwrites), that could mean you're at ~90*45 = ~4000 write/erase cycles, which is plausibly "I'm wearing out soon" territory.

However, don't take all that as truth because there is no safe way to interpret SMART "RAW_VALUE" data. The ATA and SMART specs let drive manufacturers encode anything they like into the bits, so the fact that your WLC raw number is huge may not mean anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Never had an issue with it. I've regularly used a Samsung T3 SSD with it and the T5 SSD upgrade I recently purchased.

I have not tried that particular drive, but I have a whole pile of USB hard drives and thumb drives that either:

Work at USB 2.0 speeds
Lock up the Mac
Work for a few seconds then disappear
Don't even show up

Putting a hub in the middle doesn't help. All these drive work fine (except one Sandisk USB thumb drive that still doesn't work) with the Apple USB-C to USB adapter.

Same results with my 2015 MacBook, 2016 MacBook, and 2016 MacBook Pro