Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Waltzing Along posted:

How could seasons be getting more well rounded if the last two are the worst?

He's using the word differently than you are. For some reason you think "well-rounded" means "consistently high quality". Well-rounded implies even distribution or consistency in general, such as themes being carried through or payoffs being satisfying. Earlier seasons of the show were certainly of better overall quality than this. I don't know that his comment is correct either, but over the last four or five seasons as they've toyed with season long gimmicks, the overall use of continuity has improved. Last season was sort of a tipping point of putting too much faith in current events following along with their plans resulting in a disaster of a conclusion to that plot arc, but I felt by being more responsive than predictive this season, they avoided that trap this year. I also appreciated how the early episodes in the season were all laying groundwork and the continuity from one episode to the next wasn't so obvious, but by the end of the season it was all coming together fairly cohesively.

quote:

Also, was anyone wondering if they were going to go so far as to have Heidi gently caress all the boys at the end of the episode in order to ward off Garrison with icky straight sex?

What the gently caress.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought this season was better than last year but still not that good. I hope next year has more effort since they won’t be presumably working on a game during it.

This is where I'm at. It was better from start to finish than last season because it didn't have the massive dropoff that last year did. it was more shallow peaks and valleys as some stuff hit me just right and other things fell short. I seem to be happier with this season than other posters in this thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
When have any of the kids been 'hosed'?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Atlas Hugged posted:

What the gently caress.

The end of the kids portion of the book "It" has the girl loving all the boys in order to keep Pennywise away. I am absolutely not kidding.

I didn't think they'd show something like that but I did wonder if they would imply it had happened. It is much more the sort of thing they would have done in the old days.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Jimmy.:v:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Nathan got hosed a few times.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Nathan got hosed a few times.

well, that was a more 'cartoon'y rape, if such a thing can be given that kind of adjective.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ike hosed. Kenny is implied to have hosed. And Butters too, I think.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Waltzing Along posted:

The end of the kids portion of the book "It" has the girl loving all the boys in order to keep Pennywise away. I am absolutely not kidding.

I didn't think they'd show something like that but I did wonder if they would imply it had happened. It is much more the sort of thing they would have done in the old days.

Yes I am familiar with It. No, when watching South Park last night I did not assume that the show would have a bunch of children gently caress to scare away a homosexual. Aside from the fact that I don't think even South Park would explicitly cross that line, that's not at all how sex was used in It, which everyone agrees is creepy and gross and shouldn't be adapted.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You guys have died inside. This episode was funny.

You all... you all just hate the Whites.

Typical.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

How could seasons be getting more well rounded if the last two are the worst?

Lol? S19 was one of the best seasons ever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

turboraton posted:

Lol? S19 was one of the best seasons ever.

It goes 1 2 3. Not 1 2 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Eh, I thought this season was fine? The Halloween episode was the standout by far, but the rest of the season was pretty consistently alright. Hummels & Heroin would have also been an all-timer if Marcus were a bit less annoying to watch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Eh, I thought this season was fine? The Halloween episode was the standout by far, but the rest of the season was pretty consistently alright. Hummels & Heroin would have also been an all-timer if Marcus were a bit less annoying to watch.

I have been consistently baffled by the reception this season has gotten.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly the only real thing dragging most of the episodes down was Cartman and Heidi. Everything unrelated to them was completely fine, and even their plot had its moments (again, the Halloween episode), but holy gently caress that dragged.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
This season was good. It was better then the previous one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was the second worst season. But yes, it was better than last season.

And it is better than Family Guy.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly the only real thing dragging most of the episodes down was Cartman and Heidi. Everything unrelated to them was completely fine, and even their plot had its moments (again, the Halloween episode), but holy gently caress that dragged.

I really liked the Cartman/Heidi plot, but in retrospect I wish it had gone somewhere. Like, I probably would have thought much better of the season as a whole if Cartman had actually killed himself in the last minute of the last episode. Technically Heidi killing herself would also have been better than nothing, but I definitely would have preferred it being Cartman. As long as, you know, the status quo is actually changed again in some meaningful way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you read through the South Park threads probably for the last 10 years, there is lots of negativity.

I think the season will hold up pretty well with typical marathon watching.

Having an ongoing C plot was certainly a different thing for the show, but I feel all the episodes had decent jokes and it was an average season.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's hard to say that this is even that bad of a season. There's nothing here even remotely comparable to Oprah's minge. That season overall is amazing, but man I'd take anything in this season over that episode.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If you read through the South Park threads probably for the last 10 years, there is lots of negativity.

I think the season will hold up pretty well with typical marathon watching.

Having an ongoing C plot was certainly a different thing for the show, but I feel all the episodes had decent jokes and it was an average season.

The C plot was the best way to work in continuity without relying on current events, which is how they got so badly burned last season.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Overall the show has switch from episodic to a more modern mix of episodes with a serial B or C plot and an episodic A plot. Obviously you can't please everyone but it's allowing them to still have their rant of the week episodes but also have on going storylines throughout the season that people liked from the GoT arc so stuff is continued rather than just dropped. Overall I think the critical quality is higher than previously but it doesn't feel that way because there haven't been any episodes that had received universal praise nor do I think there ever will be again.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Waltzing Along posted:

It was the second worst season. But yes, it was better than last season.

And it is better than Family Guy.

I thought this season had plenty of good episodes (Put it Down, Sons a Witches, Doubling and Moss Piglets were all solid imo). I'd personally put it above seasons 16/17 and definitely 20 just off the top of my head. To each their own though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm guessing this episode makes a lot more sense if you've seen It and/or Stranger Things. I vaguely get the It references but not the Stranger Things ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen Stranger Things but it seems to mostly reference kids and 80s music pretty much. The president stuff is mostly It, I assume.

I thought this was a great episode and while the season overall wasn't spectacular, it was better than the last one and definitely went in the right direction w/r/t serialization.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vegetable posted:

This episode was so loving bad, I hope they cancel South Park. This is literally no better than Family Guy.

I too enjoy when an entire studio's worth of people are out of jobs because I personally don't like something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The adults' reaction to finding the Principals in the woods seems like a reference to something, though I may be overthinking it?

Also, it feels like forever since we've seen Jimbo, and weird to see him without Ned.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
South Park’s character bloat is intense and While I do like gruff Irish Cop, I miss barbrady a lot

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm guessing this episode makes a lot more sense if you've seen It and/or Stranger Things. I vaguely get the It references but not the Stranger Things ones.

Not really. The joke is that in both Stranger Things and It, a group of kids team up to stop a monster from terrorizing their town. The joke was that they were copying Stranger Things, which was copying It; wrapped in a joke of "Have you seen popular culture thing X?"

The only other Stranger Things joke was not really even directed at Stranger Things directly so much as pointing out that nostalgia for 80s music just picks and chooses the better stuff but as a whole there was a ton of terrible 80s music that everyone avoids.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The adults' reaction to finding the Principals in the woods seems like a reference to something, though I may be overthinking it?

I don't think it was a straight reference to anything, just them making fun of how PC culture considers dating in the workplace taboo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought it was more taking things to a huge extreme for a situation that people usually don't really care about very much.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As utterly hosed up and gross as it would have been, I’d have appreciated a scene where Heidi has to make out with all the boys a la’ IT and Cartman goes first but then she goes to the other boys and the season ends with Cartman just looking on in horror as all his friends get to smooch his lady

I just want more more Cartmanland level “Cartman getting owned” episode

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That would have worked. Also, where was Kenny? He's been an afterthought all season. I think his dad was more prominent this season.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought it was more taking things to a huge extreme for a situation that people usually don't really care about very much.

I think that's just the flip side to a lot of this cultural outrage. Most people probably don't care about half the poo poo the media and internet talking heads flip their poo poo over 24/7.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I loved the gag about the lovely 80s music. This was a good season, much better than last year

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like most of the songs they used.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Inescapable Duck posted:

The adults' reaction to finding the Principals in the woods seems like a reference to something, though I may be overthinking it?.

They're all modern and woke, unlike the Whites. At least that's how I took it.

sassassin posted:

I like most of the songs they used.

Yeah, they weren't bad songs, just not thematically appropriate.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

21 Muns posted:

I really liked the Cartman/Heidi plot, but in retrospect I wish it had gone somewhere. Like, I probably would have thought much better of the season as a whole if Cartman had actually killed himself in the last minute of the last episode. Technically Heidi killing herself would also have been better than nothing, but I definitely would have preferred it being Cartman. As long as, you know, the status quo is actually changed again in some meaningful way.

See? This guy gets it.

I mean I didn't see the last episodes, but the fact this wasn't really building up to anything bums me out.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They're all modern and woke, unlike the Whites. At least that's how I took it.

Yeah, they weren't bad songs, just not thematically appropriate.

Yeah, "lovely" isn't the right word. More jarring, in a "this-was-what-the-80s-really-sounded-like" kinda way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I did like the gag of the 80's music being actually representative of the kind of mediocre poo poo that most people forget is even from the 80's. Everybody has this idea that the 80's were nothing but cool synths and John Carpenter music but no, there was a lot of disposable pop that people who say they're "into 80's music" haven't heard of.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
To be fair, only one of those three songs was a real song.

Super Bowl Shuffle and Pac Man Fever were both novelty/gimmick songs. They aren't truly representative of 80s music.

Gloria was a big hit, though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Bust Rodd posted:

As utterly hosed up and gross as it would have been, I’d have appreciated a scene where Heidi has to make out with all the boys a la’ IT and Cartman goes first but then she goes to the other boys and the season ends with Cartman just looking on in horror as all his friends get to smooch his lady

I just want more more Cartmanland level “Cartman getting owned” episode

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I dunno..I think Super Bowl Shuffle and Pac Man Fever are bad songs.

• Locked thread