Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

"Either I installed my heatsink improperly so temps spiked or the product was defective from the factory but the solution to both is to void my warranty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm very happy with my delidding results, especially considering the time and energy investment to get the results. I got about a 20C drop across the board on my 8600k. I'm running 5ghz on air and I never see over 65C, basically. Before delidding I could barely overlock at all before hitting 90+.

Edit: Has anyone ever had to actually USE a processor warranty? Not one that was DOA.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The point is that this isn't the overclocking thread. Nobody's normal use first step should be void your warranty and take apart your cpu. I'm about to delid mine but let's not be fools and lose perspective here.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That reminds me. Another X post from the oc thread -

What voltages are people using for ram, vccio and VCCSA on skylake or newer - for DDR 4 4000?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Edit: Has anyone ever had to actually USE a processor warranty? Not one that was DOA.

I had to RMA an early production Ryzen that exhibited the segfault bug under high load. AMD's warranty department isn't particularly speedy, but they did send me a good chip.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

I had to RMA an early production Ryzen that exhibited the segfault bug under high load. AMD's warranty department isn't particularly speedy, but they did send me a good chip.

Did this happen out of the box or develop over time? Also, another reason not to buy AMD. Heh.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It was out of the box, but is only triggered by certain workloads. AMD acknowledged it and will swap out the affected chips. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing, hardware-wise. There have been some 'new platform' firmware/software growing pains, but they've largely been resolved at this point. I'm happy with my Ryzen setup and look forward to seeing what AMD does next. If nothing else, they're spurring Intel to do more than release slightly improved versions of the same quad core chips they've had for the past 5+ years.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah you should definitely install and benchmark any chip before delidding. Still doesn't seem like the "voids your warranty" cries are all that warranted if you do your due diligence.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
What's the fail rate for delidding? Would it be safer if I pay someone to do it?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I don't think I've seen any failures from the actual delidding process using the right tool instead of just jamming the thing in a vice. You have the risk of shorting something out if you do a liquid metal application to keep that in mind. I'd pay someone else a $25 surcharge if it meant them assuming liability for me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just delidded last night. I 3D printed the proper tools and it was very easy

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

mewse posted:

I just delidded last night. I 3D printed the proper tools and it was very easy

I've seen a lot of template files for 3d printing delidding tools but I haven't found any for cutting/milling machines. You, or anything reading this, haven't happened to come across cut/etching files I could use on a laser machine have you?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Is there much benefit to delidding a 6700K, or is it mainly limited to Kaby/Coffee Lake?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
More of a benefit than Kabylake, less of a benefit than Coffeelake.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zigmidge posted:

I've seen a lot of template files for 3d printing delidding tools but I haven't found any for cutting/milling machines. You, or anything reading this, haven't happened to come across cut/etching files I could use on a laser machine have you?

You can buy a professionally-made one for not much money. If you are using Coffee Lake you might want to find one that you are sure matches.

edit: misread this. I would just buy one off eBay or aliexpress or something. Or shell out for a Rockit or Der8auer's tool. Why gently caress with a $300 processor over a $20 tool?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Space Racist posted:

Is there much benefit to delidding a 6700K, or is it mainly limited to Kaby/Coffee Lake?

Allowed me to squeeze another 100-200mhz by upping my voltage and dropping my temps significantly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can buy a professionally-made one for not much money. If you are using Coffee Lake you might want to find one that you are sure matches.

edit: misread this. I would just buy one off eBay or aliexpress or something. Or shell out for a Rockit or Der8auer's tool. Why gently caress with a $300 processor over a $20 tool?

Did you read what you just wrote?

I'd like to make one because I can. Worrying about loving with a processor was a line crossed when I started pumping more voltage through it. You could help or keep it to yourself.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why not just mirror the instructions? a 3d printer and a milling machine aren't exactly all that different if you think about it; a 3d printer goes positive, whereas a milling machine is negative.

on an unrelated grammar note: could you put the whereas in front of the 3d printer fragment instead? for some reason my brain is telling me you can, and its usually not wrong.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 9, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never really used a CNC for real work, but I have a feeling there must be a program that can take a generic model and kick out gcode for your mill. For a laser cutter you'd have to come up with a system of wafers so that's probably not as easy to translate to, though milling and extruding is done in layers too so maybe it's not as big of a jump as I'm imagining. I've been demoed CNC milling stations, I've never used a laser cutter at so I don't know how fancy it can get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

why not just mirror the instructions? a 3d printer and a milling machine aren't exactly all that different if you think about it; a 3d printer goes positive, whereas a milling machine is negative.

You need to do a bit more than that for anything complicated, but largely you can shift a model over in that way yeah.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Few pages back, but someone suggested that it'd be worthwhile upgrading from a 2500k today, but not so much a 3770.

I have in my possession a an i5 2500k, i7 3770 non-K and an i5 3470, and a i5 2400k, and I'm trying to figure out which chip I should put in what. I have a media centre, a NAS and a gaming box, all with 1155 boards of various descriptions, and I'm trying to figure out the best layout.

The 2400 is doing fine in the media centre so I'll probably leave that there. The 3470 might go to my dad, as I have a HP SFF desktop for it to go in.

Right now I am thinking of putting the 3770 in the Freenas box, as it will be doing some virtualisation and running a lot of small jails for newsgroup apps, home automation, UNIFI etc) and keeping the 2500k+Evo 212 combo in my desktop. It's running a 4.4ghz OC atm, but it will boot into windows at up to 4.8 with aggressive LLC (EVO 212 can't cool it under load though). I'm not going to be running it when I'm not using it anymore, so power consumption isn't a concern. I haven't been able to game for a while due to renovations and children etc but I'd like to be able to pick up Wolfenstein II or whatever when I get the chance and still be able to play without bottlenecking my GTX980.

Should I get an AIO and push the i5 a little harder, or drop in the 3770k and run a 4 bin OC until it's time to grab an upgrade?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Don Dongington posted:

Few pages back, but someone suggested that it'd be worthwhile upgrading from a 2500k today, but not so much a 3770.

I have in my possession a an i5 2500k, i7 3770 non-K and an i5 3470, and a i5 2400k, and I'm trying to figure out which chip I should put in what. I have a media centre, a NAS and a gaming box, all with 1155 boards of various descriptions, and I'm trying to figure out the best layout.

The 2400 is doing fine in the media centre so I'll probably leave that there. The 3470 might go to my dad, as I have a HP SFF desktop for it to go in.

Right now I am thinking of putting the 3770 in the Freenas box, as it will be doing some virtualisation and running a lot of small jails for newsgroup apps, home automation, UNIFI etc) and keeping the 2500k+Evo 212 combo in my desktop. It's running a 4.4ghz OC atm, but it will boot into windows at up to 4.8 with aggressive LLC (EVO 212 can't cool it under load though). I'm not going to be running it when I'm not using it anymore, so power consumption isn't a concern. I haven't been able to game for a while due to renovations and children etc but I'd like to be able to pick up Wolfenstein II or whatever when I get the chance and still be able to play without bottlenecking my GTX980.

Should I get an AIO and push the i5 a little harder, or drop in the 3770k and run a 4 bin OC until it's time to grab an upgrade?

Just to be clear, you have a 3770 non-K, not a K variant, right? Your last sentence indicates you have a K, but if you don't have a K the 3770 will work just dandy as a virtualization box. The K doesn't have VT-d, but the 3770 non-K does.

I have a 3770 with 24gb of RAM running ESXi free. It is virtualizing pfSense with pass through of an Intel network adapter, FreeNAS with pass through of a Perc H310 that's been flashed to IT mode, and a Windows 10 Pro VM that runs Blue Iris and a couple other Windows-only pieces of software I need.

FreeNAS is running the following jails: NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr, Transmission, Plex, PlexPy, UniFi, and Resilio.

The FreeNAS jail is happy with 12GB of RAM. The Win 10 jail gets 4 GB, and pfSense is fine with 2GB. Mostly the rig sits at ~8% CPU utilization, with Plex jumping that up to 50-100% depending on if it's doing 1 or 2 transcodes.

So, bottom line is the 3770 non-K is still a terrific processor for virtualizing. Pity about the cost of socket 1155 boards and DDR3, but I see good deals pop up on cheapish gear on EBay and Craigslist about once a month.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'll be pulling the trigger on a 8700K + MSI Z370M AC mobo provided if I can manage to snag a coupon tonight. Hopefully I'm able to give a trip report soon.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bobfather posted:

Just to be clear, you have a 3770 non-K, not a K variant, right? Your last sentence indicates you have a K, but if you don't have a K the 3770 will work just dandy as a virtualization box. The K doesn't have VT-d, but the 3770 non-K does.

I have a 3770 with 24gb of RAM running ESXi free. It is virtualizing pfSense with pass through of an Intel network adapter, FreeNAS with pass through of a Perc H310 that's been flashed to IT mode, and a Windows 10 Pro VM that runs Blue Iris and a couple other Windows-only pieces of software I need.

FreeNAS is running the following jails: NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr, Transmission, Plex, PlexPy, UniFi, and Resilio.

The FreeNAS jail is happy with 12GB of RAM. The Win 10 jail gets 4 GB, and pfSense is fine with 2GB. Mostly the rig sits at ~8% CPU utilization, with Plex jumping that up to 50-100% depending on if it's doing 1 or 2 transcodes.

So, bottom line is the 3770 non-K is still a terrific processor for virtualizing. Pity about the cost of socket 1155 boards and DDR3, but I see good deals pop up on cheapish gear on EBay and Craigslist about once a month.

I was lucky enough to score a free Gigabyte Z68 from a friend, which after a bios update supports Ivy's just fine.

Ok, you've convinced me to go with my existing plan and replace the Sandy Bridge with a Coffee/Ice Lake next year. Or the next time I get the chance to actually use it in anger, which may be quite a lot later :P

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Where I live a 8700 non k is only like 15 bux more expensive than a 8600k and overall you save a bit more in a less expensive mobo and aftermarket cooler. The 8700 has a single core turbo boost of 4.6ghz against like 5.0/5.2 ghz of an overclocked 8600k which translates to about a 9% difference in gaming performance in favor of the 8600k. Is it realistic to believe that in a period of 4+ years more games will start using the extra threads and the i7 will eventually pull ahead?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

We're already starting to see engines today scaling up to 6-8 threads. Wouldn't be holding my breath for a game to take proper advantage of Threadripper/Xeon 16c+ anytime soon. Pretty much any game today is going to be threaded to at least 2 or 4 cores so the single-core boost number won't matter too much since that's not the workload you'll be throwing at it. The i7 is probably a better bet for you if you aren't interested in beating every last bit of performance out of the thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The i7 is a no-brainer for $15 extra. It's some extra performance at the tail-end of your processor's lifespan - the 2600K had a bit more staying power than the 2500K and that will probably repeat again this time.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there a recommended delidding tool or kit? I’ve got a nice 6700k I picked up running 4.7@1.4v, but apparently these run hot.

I ran AIDA64 and it averaged to 73C, with individual core spikes up to 91C on 2 cores. I know the occasional spikes are fine since it’s not a sustained 90C, but everything I read about delidding averages to around a 20C drop in temps so I am tempted to dive into it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Derbaurs kit looks pretty good, if you want to be able to sell it afterwards or delid a few.

I'm expecting Ryzen+ to be still behind Intel so I might get one. Only sheer laziness is stopping me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kloa posted:

Is there a recommended delidding tool or kit? I’ve got a nice 6700k I picked up running 4.7@1.4v, but apparently these run hot.

I ran AIDA64 and it averaged to 73C, with individual core spikes up to 91C on 2 cores. I know the occasional spikes are fine since it’s not a sustained 90C, but everything I read about delidding averages to around a 20C drop in temps so I am tempted to dive into it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-S-H-C...wYAAOSwKoRZYBb3

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I bought this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222731014973

Worked like a charm on Haswell, haven't tried it on a newer, thinner chip, but it's supposed to work ok on Kaby/Skylake.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Now that my order is confirmed and shipped, I'm can finally brag about my 8700K and MSI Z370M Pro Gaming AC at $480. :dance:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Palladium posted:

Now that my order is confirmed and shipped, I'm can finally brag about my 8700K and MSI Z370M Pro Gaming AC at $480. :dance:

Wait you got those both for $480? If so where, or is the deal already sold out?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Derbaurs kit looks pretty good, if you want to be able to sell it afterwards or delid a few.

I'm expecting Ryzen+ to be still behind Intel so I might get one. Only sheer laziness is stopping me.

I have Derbauers kit. Its p. solid with the gluing assist screw

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I bought Derbaurs kit for my 4790k, works great

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I got a Coffee Lake CPU and encountered a bizarre issue where encoding video with x264 would only use 1 CPU. Mucked with manually setting threads in the config, tried different encoders, same results no matter what. Flashed BIOS and installed chipset drivers in a futile attempt to get it working. Then I had a wild idea, I uninstalled the Intel ME stuff as well as Intel's Turbo Boost thing in the OS (Windows 10), I restarted, then x264 would finally utilize all cores. I'm not sure why this happened.

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy
Definitely don't delid before benching. My 8700k is stable at 5GHz and 1.36 on a NH-d15s. I could lower temps with a delid sure, but unless the CPU stays above the safe zone I'm not comfortable with voiding the warranty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Will a 6700k work in a Z270 board?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

slidebite posted:

Will a 6700k work in a Z270 board?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I heard it's possible to slightly overclock a 8700 non k to an all core boost of 4.6/4.7ghz with some motherboards. How true is this?