Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Forgot to mention, I love how Ed immediately picks up on the whole Kelly-Influenced-The-Planet thing from the first "blessing' moment. For a guy played dumb a lot, he's on the ball on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Was this episode safe for kids? My kid likes the show, but is only four. Of the ones that have aired so far, the zoo episode, the prank war episode, and the 2d episode I've deemed fine for watching.

There's some slitting wrist executions and bodies hanging from ropes. Probably not ideal, but I don't know your kids.

Honestly that whole planet should have been glassed by the federation the second the time thing was discovered because if that religion had gone full Taliban you're looking at crusades every 11 days with a culture that had advanced another 700 years each time. They went batshit over a time device that could barely kill a banana, and now there's an entire captive planet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brawnfire posted:

There we go, THAT'S what was bothering me. From their frame of reference, time is exactly the same, but it's whipping by in their home universe! I wonder if they're actually the least advanced society in their universe due to constantly vanishing for decades while everyone else develops apace.

See, this is a cool and good nitpicky question. Not "well how did they know what Kelly looked like?" because even if we knew the answer to that one, it would literally make no difference.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Was this episode safe for kids? My kid likes the show, but is only four. Of the ones that have aired so far, the zoo episode, the prank war episode, and the 2d episode I've deemed fine for watching.

Somewhat graphic torture/execution. Knives sticking through parts of people. Religious stuff. Murder. Kissyface. Megacleavage semi-nudity with implied busy-getting.

Nothing super bad but lots of maybe objectionable stuff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Azhais posted:

There's some slitting wrist executions and bodies hanging from ropes. Probably not ideal, but I don't know your kids.

Honestly that whole planet should have been glassed by the federation the second the time thing was discovered because if that religion had gone full Taliban you're looking at crusades every 11 days with a culture that had advanced another 700 years each time. They went batshit over a time device that could barely kill a banana, and now there's an entire captive planet

I mean it seems like a lot of species go through a similar phase, so maybe don't be so quick to genocide?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They should have left Isaac there a couple more cycles to record and report back the next 1000 years of technological advancements.

Might help with the war against the Krill.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mantis42 posted:

I mean it seems like a lot of species go through a similar phase, so maybe don't be so quick to genocide?

It's the time dilation that's the main problem (and it's not like a fanatical spiritualist purifier race doesn't already exist in this setting). Had the Krill bumped into this place a week earlier than the Orville the universe would be in flames.

This is a "drop everything to find a way to stop the phase effect" scenario the second it was discovered

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

These aliens could have photographic memories or whatever and every one of the people who saw her drew the same thing. The point of the story isn't in the tiny details. They wanted it clear what happened for the mass audience.

The audience would have gotten it without the cut of the uniform and the insignia badge being correct. Hell, a nondescript icon-style image would have worked. Her name being used as the name of a Goddess would have been enough for all but the most idiotic viewers, especially when combined with the whole "cut that person and see if She heels him" business. Which, I should point out, was a pretty clever thing. It was smartly written, that bit about how her initial encounter had morphed into a whole ritual. But, then they idiotted it down with "make sure her images and statues look precisely like her, because there's no way our audience will get it if we don't." While I concede that you have to account for the... uhm... less observant folks in your audience, you also have to try not to dumb it down too much. If this is why they made sure to keep her image 100% accurate for over 700 years, then they dumbed it down too much.

Baronjutter posted:

Also I guess if her depictions weren't 100% accurate it wouldn't be obvious she was god when she disrobed. She'd just be some random tall dirty blond wearing blue.

OK... but if the hyper-accuracy of the depictions of here were done for plot convenience, then they should show, explain, or at least lampshade or hand-waive how it was possible to so precisely preserve her likeness, which, remember, started as a brief sighting 700 years in the past. And even then, it's hard to imagine how, in 700 years, that image hadn't drifted from reality by even a picometer. But they didn't bother with any of that.

This what I mean when I say if feels like they wrote the script in an hour. That's an implausible element shoved into the story just to make a scene work more easily, and that's the hallmark of rushed and/or lazy writing. And that has got to get better, because once the newness of this show wears off, things like this are going to get very annoying for more and more people.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 8, 2017

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxw5nQX7SA

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The entire point of the episode is to establish why a sort of 'prime directive' is good, and that crazy religion is a phase that most societies go through.
Star Trek is a morality play in essence, and The Orville is copying that down to the heavy handed messages.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Peachfart posted:

The entire point of the episode is to establish why a sort of 'prime directive' is good, and that crazy religion is a phase that most societies go through.
Star Trek is a morality play in essence, and The Orville is copying that down to the heavy handed messages.

Except in the end they were like "nah you didn't contaminate anything we'd have come up with our own horrible religion on our own anyways, it's just a phase primitive cultures go through before ascending to glowing hyper-atheism"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Except in the end they were like "nah you didn't contaminate anything we'd have come up with our own horrible religion on our own anyways, it's just a phase primitive cultures go through before ascending to glowing hyper-atheism"

People still killed in the name of Kelly for over 1400 years, so I'm sure the Union/Kelly didn't appreciate that very much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is also no reason to assume that the planet was "missing" from its own universe for more than an instant. The interface works in a completely arbitrary way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I had actually been expecting a cliffhanger ending with this one, given the whole "move the next episode to the next season" thing. As soon as they established the Brigadoon setting, I was expecting something like Kelly is still on the planet when it vanishes, great big musical sting on a shot of the entire bridge crew looking horrified, zoom in to Ed looking extra horrified, To Be Continued. I'm glad they didn't, though. I enjoyed this episode but I don't think the premise could really carry a two-parter.

Unanswered question: So, is Kelly going to jail now? The admiralty knows all about the cultural contamination thing now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Bloop posted:

Megacleavage semi-nudity

Daddy, why does the woman have her shirt off?

Because if you post enough pictures with your shirt off on instagram and you're hot then they'll put you on tv with your shirt off. Unfortunately that's only for girls, sorry son.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PaybackJack posted:

Daddy, why does the woman have her shirt off?

Because if you post enough pictures with your shirt off on instagram and you're hot then they'll put you on tv with your shirt off. Unfortunately that's only for girls, sorry son.

Is that where she came from? She was pretty.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheScott2K posted:

Is that where she came from? She was pretty.

Apparently her name is Kyra Santoro, 2016 Sports Illustrated swimsuit model

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked his frantic head shaking in that scene.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Does anyone else think they missed out on a gag opportunity when Alara said "So, what are we going to do for eleven days?" They could have cut to a montage of John and Gordon playing beer pong in the mess hall, Bortus doing Karaoke, Ed and Kelly getting more drunk. This is a well written show but they do have pacing problems.

A dude posted:

Ironically, this is the only episode so far that's potentially not safe for kids, what with the wrist-cutting and the almost-topless chick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know some ameircans are weird messed up prudes about "nudity" but I can't tell if people are joking that a fully covered woman that just isn't wearing a bra or shirt under her jacket is some how riske or inappropriate for a 4 year old to see. Swimsuits show more skin.

The close up shots of painful wrist cutting and people being hung up to bleed to death might be a little scary though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Baronjutter posted:

I know some ameircans are weird messed up prudes about "nudity" but I can't tell if people are joking that a fully covered woman that just isn't wearing a bra or shirt under her jacket is some how riske or inappropriate for a 4 year old to see. Swimsuits show more skin.

I was actually going to add that to my post. Americans have no problems with a parade of women in bikinis, but a split-second glance at a bare nipple will turn a potential Harvard student into a sex-crazed heroin addict.

Not to mention graphic violence, there's no way seeing that on teevee will hurt mah little Billy-Bob! :911:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Both John and his girlfriend definitely had no bottoms whatsoever, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

The close up shots of painful wrist cutting and people being hung up to bleed to death might be a little scary though.

So Al can make his own nudity decisions:

https://twitter.com/kyrasantoro/status/938999082369957893/photo/1

Spoilering I guess in case it's nws

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's in no way NWS, or maybe it is, I feel like a goddamn crazy person sometimes with what gets flagged as NWS online, like it's being defined entirely by an ultra-conservative muslim cleric and a time-traveling victorian. TNG showed way more side and underboob and that was fine for 90's family friendly TV.

Or is it the man-nips?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

That's in no way NWS, or maybe it is, I feel like a goddamn crazy person sometimes with what gets flagged as NWS online, like it's being defined entirely by an ultra-conservative muslim cleric and a time-traveling victorian. TNG showed way more side and underboob and that was fine for 90's family friendly TV.

Or is it the man-nips?

Definitely the man nips

Isn't that what we were talking about the whole time?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's not the actual amount of skin being shown, it's the context. And yes, Americans are prudish idiots about boobs but that is definitely something that goes into the bucket if someone asks if there is anything they might not want to watch with their little kid.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They were clearly :420: also.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Peachfart posted:

People still killed in the name of Kelly for over 1400 years, so I'm sure the Union/Kelly didn't appreciate that very much.

and if Kelly didn't come 'round, they would have killed in the name of Mike or Bangor-on-Dee or Ynys Môn instead, was the point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Isaac: I believe what we have encountered is a planet locked in a multi-phasic orbit.
[in the conference room with all the senior staff]
Capt. Ed Mercer: Okay, let's pretend I don't know what that is.
Lt. Gordon Malloy: Do you know what that is?
Capt. Ed Mercer: I do not.
Lt. Gordon Malloy: So, we could just say that.
Capt. Ed Mercer: Thanks, buddy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

withak posted:

They were clearly :420: also.

I really liked the puff of smoke coming from offscreen.

The implication seems to be that the majority of Orville crew are stoners, up to and including the XO (remember her asking for a weed brownie from the replicator in one of the early eps?)

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

WampaLord posted:

I really liked the puff of smoke coming from offscreen.

The implication seems to be that the majority of Orville crew are stoners, up to and including the XO (remember her asking for a weed brownie from the replicator in one of the early eps?)

Yeah they seem to smoke pot. They frame it in a way where “just like religions” humans have advanced far enough to not quibble over petty things, like intoxicants. It would be like if he answered the door with a beer in hand on his off hours, very casual and no one even bats an eye.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the Orville is just very relaxed about everything.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am not entirely certain about the message though. Not because I am against the atheist angle, being one myself, but we already saw people like the Krill going against the idea that all species eventually give up their religious ideas naturally, even if they had a special case with their shrouded planet.

I would say Isaac actually did do something, or at the very least his existence was a constant open reminder that they were wrong about Kelly. You would still have people who thought he was a myth or lying, which we know because there are people funding rocket rides to prove that the Earth is flat even now, but most would accept him (also he isn't easy to blow up).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Something clever I noticed was that the Bortus Hot Potato scene not only gave Mercer an excuse to talk to Kelly, it allowed the show to reestablish the fact that Union tech can regenerate wounds before using it as a plot device.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Something clever I noticed was that the Bortus Hot Potato scene not only gave Mercer an excuse to talk to Kelly, it allowed the show to reestablish the fact that Union tech can regenerate wounds before using it as a plot device.

Every time I see your handle/avatar, I get LOOM lines stuck in my head.

"Grass green... I hate that color!"

"I am Bishop Mandible, Transultimate Apostle of the Antisecular Conclave of Clerics!"

"Over my dead body!"
"Preference noted."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
On a side note, Seth has come a long way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkdeo42ydo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Every time I see your handle/avatar, I get LOOM lines stuck in my head.

:corsair:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Why it's an extraordinary adventure with an interface of magic, stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes, sophisticated score and musical effects. Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects, elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic spells.

Beat the rush! Go out and buy Loom™ today!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Kingdom posted:

On a side note, Seth has come a long way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkdeo42ydo

loving hell, started Family Guy when he was 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tarlibone posted:

The audience would have gotten it without the cut of the uniform and the insignia badge being correct. Hell, a nondescript icon-style image would have worked. Her name being used as the name of a Goddess would have been enough for all but the most idiotic viewers, especially when combined with the whole "cut that person and see if She heels him" business. Which, I should point out, was a pretty clever thing. It was smartly written, that bit about how her initial encounter had morphed into a whole ritual. But, then they idiotted it down with "make sure her images and statues look precisely like her, because there's no way our audience will get it if we don't." While I concede that you have to account for the... uhm... less observant folks in your audience, you also have to try not to dumb it down too much. If this is why they made sure to keep her image 100% accurate for over 700 years, then they dumbed it down too much.

OK... but if the hyper-accuracy of the depictions of here were done for plot convenience, then they should show, explain, or at least lampshade or hand-waive how it was possible to so precisely preserve her likeness, which, remember, started as a brief sighting 700 years in the past. And even then, it's hard to imagine how, in 700 years, that image hadn't drifted from reality by even a picometer. But they didn't bother with any of that.

This what I mean when I say if feels like they wrote the script in an hour. That's an implausible element shoved into the story just to make a scene work more easily, and that's the hallmark of rushed and/or lazy writing. And that has got to get better, because once the newness of this show wears off, things like this are going to get very annoying for more and more people.

they wrote her image as remaining perfect so that when they talked to the keltholic pope there wouldn't need to be any proof of her identity beyond her appearance

this script had to make a lot of concessions to runtime...a two-parter might have been ideal

MisterBibs posted:

Forgot to mention, I love how Ed immediately picks up on the whole Kelly-Influenced-The-Planet thing from the first "blessing' moment. For a guy played dumb a lot, he's on the ball on that front.

ed is a huge star trek nerd, with the advantage of actually being able to apply that as a life skill

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 9, 2017