Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dagen H posted:

It's for Middle Son.

I'm only working with half of Rhyno's budget.

I saw a 96 silverado in not bad shape for $800 on CL yesterday. Just needed a clutch installed that it comes with.

https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-chevy-king-cab-2wd/6404589121.html

Not sure where you are but thats the route I would go. By that I mean bigger and more rugged than an aveo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:q:
Well that beats out the Volvo S40 I found.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I am alive.

Just got back from Texas in one piece. The trailer was packed to the gills but the truck towed it like a champ.
I forgot it was back there a couple times actually.

Edit: trip report to follow.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 8, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol you seriously ended a relationship over American politics when you live in Australia?

Do you seriously think I want to be friends with an ex (who is American actually so LOL yourself) who espouses that kind of seriously loving stupid views?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You guys

I found a Rio for $475

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Echo chambers are awesome.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

You guys

I found a Rio for $475

Wow, flights are getting cheap, what airline?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

You guys

I found a Rio for $475
Tropical or Tropical Light?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What doesn't I'll you only makes you stronger so that door should be safer than ever

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Well, at least you know it can take a hit.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

rdb posted:

I saw a 96 silverado in not bad shape for $800 on CL yesterday. Just needed a clutch installed that it comes with.

https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-chevy-king-cab-2wd/6404589121.html

Not sure where you are but thats the route I would go. By that I mean bigger and more rugged than an aveo.

I feel you, but novice driver with a part-time job + thirsty V8 + 2wd + snow

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

I feel you, but novice driver with a part-time job + thirsty V8 + 2wd + snow
It's educational.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We've got photography nerds in here right? My dad asked for a tripod for Christmas but money is tight as I've got to replace the car. I'd still like to get him something, any brand/product suggestions?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What kind of photography died he like to do? He might be happy with a monopod instead depending on what he's doing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I know a couple of pro guys, I'll ask them what they recommend.

One of my friends who's less serious about it said the Amazon branded ones were good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mainly pictures of their new dog, but the tripod is for landscapes

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

It's educational.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

Clean '04 Aveo that needs a head gasket, or rusty '97 Corolla with a bad cat and little 20-year-old-car niggles?

Moot. Both sold.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dagen H posted:

Moot. Both sold.

Congrats on your purchases

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Death owns

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If you're looking for cheap cars I like to do a craigslist search of clean title, manual, and 25000 - 125000 miles up to my price cut off. If they're willing to put in the transmission type and mileage it cuts down on the chances of it being a poo poo ad. Find neat stuff to window shop that way.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cakesmith handyman posted:

We've got photography nerds in here right? My dad asked for a tripod for Christmas but money is tight as I've got to replace the car. I'd still like to get him something, any brand/product suggestions?

I personally use Manfrotto - even the cheaper ones have a pretty smooth working head that can clamp tight and will support the fairly considerable weight of my camera and L-Glass on a tilt, a compact camera or a lower end DSLR / glass wont need to have a tripod that supports weight. TBH a good monopod has been far more useful over the years - it really depends on the photography your Dad wants to do if a tripod or monopod would be in the long run used a lot more.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

There's a tripod thread in the Dorkroom.

Or just ask a question in the general gear thread. You will need to state your budget as the standard answer is 'if you go cheap, you'll have crap'

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What doesn't I'll you only makes you stronger so that door should be safer than ever

Nothing has yet killed me. I am invincible.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, at least you know it can take a hit.

That shopping cart didn't know what it was messing with!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

McTinkerson posted:

Paging Adiabatic, PM sent. Also, NIST just released rev 2 of the new ICS Cyber security spec, which I should have included in that PM.

http://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/12/05/draft-2_framework-v1-1_without-markup.pdf

Fuckin OWNS. Thanks for that giant PM. Gonna take a while to get through all that but I'm sure I'll have questions!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm "not" drinking this month. I have quotes around the "not" because today is my birthday and while I worked today and still have to work tomorrow (and, in fact, was called in on Wednesday, too), I am enjoying a tall Sapporo Black.

I really enjoy Sapporo Premium, but Black is surprisingly good. Maybe not $0.70/can more good, but still good.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Weird I'm doing the same thing. I heard about Joe Rogan and co. doing a Sober October so I'm doing a Sober December. Not as much ring to it. Probably why I don't have a podcast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, two years ago when I thought I was getting fired I was just terrified because I have no skills and poo poo. Tonight I'm like "please let me get fired."

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I'm Pickling Rick Bitch!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Man, two years ago when I thought I was getting fired I was just terrified because I have no skills and poo poo. Tonight I'm like "please let me get fired."

That moment you realize your company won't fire you unless you do something really crazy because they need you is kinda liberating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

That moment you realize your company won't fire you unless you do something really crazy because they need you is kinda liberating.

I kind of got poo poo on for something I'm fairly certain I didn't actually do. It'll blow over and things will be fine in a few days but my boss isn't always so good at handling things like this and sometimes flies off the handle. But to be fair, we're kind of family at this point as I've worked for them for 12 years. But also I'm 10000% happier than I was a few years ago and have a newfound love for life so my nerd job isn't the main focus of my days anymore.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am alive.

Just got back from Texas in one piece. The trailer was packed to the gills but the truck towed it like a champ.
I forgot it was back there a couple times actually.

Edit: trip report to follow.

OP had me up against the inside wall of that trailer :quagmire: (..... with furniture)

Good meeting you man. Hope everything made the trip in one piece.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Sold the parent's 2003 Holden Cruze today in what seemed like a record time.
Cleaned off all the white polish my dad left, washed the car, took 10 photos and relisted it on gumtree for $2500. Got a phone call 2min after the add went live, and they rocked up with $2200 30min later and bought it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Response from photographer friend:

"TBH I've tried a few budget ones from five or six different companies and they've all fallen apart after a couple of years. In the end I decided it isn't something to scrimp on. So ended up with a heavy duty manfrotto and a travel one from 3 Legged Thing.

So my experience at the cheaper end of the spectrum isn't great."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for all the tripod advice. Spent this morning buying a 2004 Volvo S40, a repossession I bought from the finance company with HPI check so I know the titles clear. Needs tyres and fluids but stress over. Just need to strip bits from the fiat and get it dragged away.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looks like I can get a compact travel manfrotto within my budget, sorted thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Used Manfrotto is the way to go on a budget.

• Locked thread