Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Like it runs so well that the dev team was specifically advertising how well it ran P5 and then Atlus hit them with a DMCA to get them to stop doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Would be very happy if yakuza was on pc

Ya at this point Yakuza, Persona are the only big japanese series that are not on PC. Dragon Quest doesn't have a main game on pc but those rarely get released in the west anyway.

If we could get Yakuza, Persona or Ninja Gaiden on PC that would be hype.

Can't believe we have games like MGS, FF, Nier,Street fighetr, Souls and many more on pc now. Being a pc gamer was rough back then if you were a Japanese game fan but it is in such a better place now even though we don't get every single franchise.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Am I missing something with Refunct? Bought it because of Too Shy Guy's recommendation and it seemed fun enough, but at 37% I noticed that wall jumping in first person is really finnicky but necessary to continue? After 10 minutes or so of trying to reach the next switch I gave up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Azran posted:

Am I missing something with Refunct? Bought it because of Too Shy Guy's recommendation and it seemed fun enough, but at 37% I noticed that wall jumping in first person is really finnicky but necessary to continue? After 10 minutes or so of trying to reach the next switch I gave up.

I played through and beat it while using a controller and it seemed fine :shrug: I will agree that first person jumping has never felt very good in ANY game unless it had mantling like DOOM or Dying Light.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I played through and beat it while using a controller and it seemed fine :shrug: I will agree that first person jumping has never felt very good in ANY game unless it had mantling like DOOM or Dying Light.

I'm using M+KB, but there's something really annoying about having to quickly swerve my perspective 180º degrees whenever I touch a wall, because otherwise you'll just start jumping along the wall instead of up, till you fall off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing Spellforce is a janky and cool series: is there a point in starting with 1 or should I go from 2 (which was supposedly a lot better?)?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Evil Within 2... just got a demo?! :eyepop:
This is great, I've been seriously considering getting it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I'm hearing Spellforce is a janky and cool series: is there a point in starting with 1 or should I go from 2 (which was supposedly a lot better?)?

I would also like to know this and also, the Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition on Steam has some negative reviews talking about the game being broken in some way, is that accurate?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Get all of them!

I'll write more when I get home in 20 minutes. But basically I know Order of Dawn/2/Dragon Storm? Are all worth it. Spellforce 1 is janky but super ambitious in some really neat ways

No idea on the Spellforce 1 expansions as I never played them ( but people seem to love them. ) Also no idea on Faith in Destiny as it was done by a different team ( and not the Spellforce 3 team either? ) and I havent gotten around to playing it yet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Get all of them!

I'll write more when I get home in 20 minutes. But basically I know Order of Dawn/2/Dragon Storm? Are all worth it. Spellforce 1 is janky but super ambitious in some really neat ways

No idea on the Spellforce 1 expansions as I never played them ( but people seem to love them. ) Also no idea on Faith in Destiny as it was done by a different team ( and not the Spellforce 3 team either? ) and I havent gotten around to playing it yet.
I've got the complete pack, just wondered if it was worth it. Looking forward to the more elaborate info.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I see some reviews for Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition saying that the game is essentially broken due to the way it handles expansions, can anyone confirm or deny?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I've got the complete pack, just wondered if it was worth it. Looking forward to the more elaborate info.

So. I'm here, writing this up now.

Spellforce 1 is super janky. Not going to lie about this at all. It's an old game, and despite claiming it's "mastered the RTS/RPG hybrid" that's....not quite true. None of the Spellforce games really lean very heavily into their RTS elements, mainly using them to help fluff up the rather solid/interesting lite Diabloesque style RPG elements. Don't get me wrong, the RTS parts work and work fine, the split just isn't 50/50. Instead I'd say they are much closer to 65/35 then anything, with the favor being towards the RPG side of things.

Which actually works out super well for reasons I'll get into later in this.

Spellforce 1 has you set as a RUNE WARRIOR. You are the soul of a past hero that got stolen by one of the main baddies of the setting ( not going to go too much into this, as it probably spoils the end of Spellforce 3 ) and stuck in a gemstone. You also had your memories wiped, and got turned into a mindless killing machine they could summon at will to do their bidding. Due to a variety of events, you are now free of their influences and able to do whatever you want, which causes you to get stuck in with a kindly old man.

From there the story turns weird. I'm not joking when I say it's probably one of the most baffling/coked out storylines in games. It's absurdist and to this day I still love replaying Spellforce Order of Dawn just to see the absolutely bananas storyline.

The gameplay is super open ended. You choose your initial heroes stat allocation, and you quickly start getting quests to help out. These quests range from the RPG focused ( ie you and other hero units go do thing. ) to the more RTS focused ( go here, set up a base, build an army, and take out this thing. ). While there is a main quest, the whole thing is pretty freeform. You see portals to all the missions in the first couple of areas, and you can go to most of them without blocks fairly early on in the game. The only thing holding you back is your level. You go into an area underleveled and you might get rocked by the locals.

The thing that makes it great however is the gem/Rune system. See this isn't a traditional RTS where you finish a mission and get KNIGHT for the next mission. No! You have to FIND YOUR UNITS. You want Knights? You need to find the Knight Gemstone somewhere in the world to get the ability to summon Knights. Because your RTS units are also RUNE WARRIORS, just slaved to your will rather then someone else. And these come from basically everything. Do some sidequests? Get the RUNE for Dark Elf Swordlady. Explore this off the beaten path area. Here is a KNIGHT. Merchants also sell Runes, and you can also get them from doing the main quest.

So you are basically always incentivized to go explore and try to find new units/buildings. That high level area you can't get into yet might hold more RUNES and also a new unit to play with. This is also how you find new heroes for your party. It's also neat to sequence break through this? If you explore areas well past your level, you can often buy/find stuff much higher level then you currently have, and use it to further explore these higher level regions. Generally things are placed smartly, so Orc Runes are in Orc lands, Elf Runes are in Elf lands, etc etc.

It's just a neat little thing. And by neat little thing, I mean 80-120 hours worth of RPG spread across the base game and it's expansions.

Spellforce 2 takes that formula and refines it quite heavily. Gone are the Runes, replaced with the more traditional "unlock unit as you progress" formula you expect from other RTS games. Heroes are now story additions you find by questing that join your party. You get greater control over the heroes you meet/get now as they level up with you, unlike the levellocked heroes of SF1. Questing and quest hubs become far more prevalent, including the addition of a stronghold type place you get pretty early that you send most people you find/meet to. While the RTS elements have been improved, it's still more focused on the RPG.

By Dragon Storm they really started to experiment with the RTS/RPG elements. The example I often give is a mission where you plan to assassinate a major character. Your main heroes enter into the Castle and do some basic RPG murderhoboing. But you have to also build armies and hold the exterior of the Castle/your base ( which is not outside the castle! ) while the major characters army tries to rescue them. It's a neat setup you don't see often in games, and plays with multitasking in some cool ways.

The thing that makes it work is the total freedom in the character design. You go daggers/platemail? Sure! Daggers have a bunch of self bleeds on top of the high damage stuff, and plate gives you a bunch of self heals! It works!

How about Ice Magic and Hammers? Sure! Ice Magic makes everyone stuck in place, and Hammers do absurd AoE. It works!

How about Light Magic and Dark Magic? Sure! You raise a bunch of dead, and then can keep healing them.

Also mind you it's still also an RTS. So it's this RTS where you have mesmers casting aoe mezs/stuns on enemy troops, or casting aoe healing on your own troops. It really lets you play around with the combos.

As I said, I've played Order of Dawn ( Spellforce 1 main campaign ), 2, and Dragon Storm ( 2's expansion ). I never played the other Spellforce 1 expansions or the two THQNordic expansions to Spellforce 2. From what I hear the Spellforce 1 expansions are good, if a bit smaller then the core campaign. The Spellforce 2 expansions outside of Dragon Storm are a bit simplistic and most people seem to not like them.

Oh, one other thing!

So Spellforce 2 has a mode called Free Mode. It's the co-op campaign, but can also be played singleplayer. It's a side story to the core SP campaign. It has no heroes to recruit, but it has it's own quests/storyline, where you play a General/Commando unit in the army of the main character from the main story, based out of the stronghold you get in the main game. It's hilariously hard, but also a lot of fun.

Deakul posted:

I see some reviews for Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition saying that the game is essentially broken due to the way it handles expansions, can anyone confirm or deny?

I just loaded it up and dicked around a bit, it seems to be working fine?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

il_cornuto posted:

I thought Bayonetta's motorbike stage was decent, far better than the Space Harrier and turret sections.

That turret section was tedious until I learned that you can use the dodge while in a turret, which they failed to mention at all in the instructions.

Wait no, it was still tedious but at least I no longer wanted to throw my controller across the room.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rookersh, it's your fault I'm probably going to pick up Spellforce 1 tomorrow, that sounds like the kind of jank I want to play. Thank you for the indepth review!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Azran posted:

I'm using M+KB, but there's something really annoying about having to quickly swerve my perspective 180º degrees whenever I touch a wall, because otherwise you'll just start jumping along the wall instead of up, till you fall off.

It sounds like you're trying to jump straight up a wall, which isn't something you're meant to do. You can go vertical using wall kicks, but only by laddering between two walls. I definitely never needed to do funky 180 spins to progress.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
So, I finished a playthrough of Oxenfree the other day. I liked it and had fun, but wasn't so into it that I'm clamoring for more. I know the New Game+ adds some content and supposedly changes things around, but I'm trying to assess if it's enough to justify another go. If the new stuff is substantial or there's new ending content then I'd consider it, but if it's just some throwaway lines and whatnot then I probably won't bother. Can someone (without spoilers, obviously) give me some feedback if the second playthrough is worth the time? Does the ending change?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody get their Steam Controller and link combo purchase yet? I haven't gotten a confirmation myself and it's been a week since that autumn sale.

I remember that unexpected steam link + ICEY bundle and that was a two and a half week shipping deal, so just askin'.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

It sounds like you're trying to jump straight up a wall, which isn't something you're meant to do. You can go vertical using wall kicks, but only by laddering between two walls. I definitely never needed to do funky 180 spins to progress.

Oh okay. Yes, I thought you had to be facing the wall to have control over the direction of your movement. :downs:

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Artelier posted:

Any opinions on Shadowhand? Popped up on my recommendations, first impressions is fast paced solitaire game with plot AND DRESS UP, yes? Anything to watch out for?

I'm really getting a kick out of it bc it's a Solitaire game where one of your stats is Resist Bleed % which just blows my mind

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

So, I finished a playthrough of Oxenfree the other day. I liked it and had fun, but wasn't so into it that I'm clamoring for more. I know the New Game+ adds some content and supposedly changes things around, but I'm trying to assess if it's enough to justify another go. If the new stuff is substantial or there's new ending content then I'd consider it, but if it's just some throwaway lines and whatnot then I probably won't bother. Can someone (without spoilers, obviously) give me some feedback if the second playthrough is worth the time? Does the ending change?

Yes the second playthrough is well worth it. It'll start extremely familiar but it goes places.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rookersh, it's your fault I'm probably going to pick up Spellforce 1 tomorrow, that sounds like the kind of jank I want to play. Thank you for the indepth review!

Spellforce 1 is good fun, especially if you got the version that gave you infinite money. You basically went into negative sums because they forgot to limit your spending. I've bought every spell in the game with this.

I'd love to give Spellforce 2 a try, but reading the reviews on Steam about the technical problems has me worried...

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The main problem with all Spellforce games until the expansions for 2 is that they weren't made with widescreen in mind. SF 1 and it's expansions you can fudge it by changing the resolution in the files and the vison angle via console commands, but the original version of 2 needed a more in-depth change. From what I understand the main issue with the anniversary edition is that it tries to start itself in its original standard resolution, which isn't supported by most modern monitors. So before you start it the first time, you need to change the resolution manually in the options file, then write protect that file so the game doesn't change it back. I've made it work, but its a bit finicky.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Turns out Okami HD runs at locked 30fps on PC:

neogafresetera is now in full meltdown mode because of this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least they tried to make it at 60 before realizing that wouldn't work.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Terminally Bored posted:

Turns out Okami HD runs at locked 30fps on PC:

rip that game I guess

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

CJacobs posted:

At least they tried to make it at 60 before realizing that wouldn't work.

Yeah, can't really blame them. Even the PS2 emulator 60fps hack broke some stuff iirc.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Non-graphical code dependent on a locked framerate :cripes:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hey, at least they tried and explained why. So many devs don't bother doing either.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceyton posted:

Non-graphical code dependent on a locked framerate :cripes:

More common than you might think.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Luckily Okami plays absolutely fine at 30FPS, since that's how everyone originally played it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Okami, more like Oh Come On Why Are The Frame Rates Locked To 30 Frames Per Second - an award-winning journalist

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Can anyone remember thst pixelart Binding of Isaac but in a spaceship game that was on sale a weeks ago? I forgot to wishlist it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spermanent Record posted:

Can anyone remember thst pixelart Binding of Isaac but in a spaceship game that was on sale a weeks ago? I forgot to wishlist it.

Starward Rogue? Neurovoider?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Monolith, maybe?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Probably The Pit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

Probably The Pit.

Which is a more traditional tile, turn-based roguelike, in case that is it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's also really bad, there are far better traditional roguelikes on Steam.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Glare Seethe posted:

Monolith, maybe?

This was it, thanks!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes the second playthrough is well worth it. It'll start extremely familiar but it goes places.

Ta. I'll give it a go tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wrote a review!

The long and short of it is that I love it. It has the RNG that'll screw you over, but that's endemic to this type of solitaire game, and restarting a hand doesn't penalize you - you even get your consumables back.

Thanks! I didn't realise you posted it earlier on the same page (was on mobile when I typed my initial post) but I got it based on the review AND SUDDENLY I'M THREE HOURS IN THIS IS SO ADDICTIVE.

The duels are really, really fun.