Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

The Taken are a cool concept but don’t have any place in this game other than Bungie just needing to recycle assets instead of coming up with new enemies.

Yeah basically.

Also if they had something going for them visually besides vaguely oily shaders and smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's enough work put into the Taken to distinguish them as more than just a lazy skin job. They have different animations and altered behaviors.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The Taken still existing after Oryx's death is interesting and I want to see more of it explained, personally.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They've basically laid out the groundwork for players to figure out an explanation, they just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

andrew smash posted:

The Taken still existing after Oryx's death is interesting and I want to see more of it explained, personally.

The answer is "we made these we're gonna keep using them".

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I cleared 4 spots in HOTDOG just FYI. If anybody wants to switch over or just come on down, come play.

https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2073935

drat, missed the train on this one. I've been looking for a fun clan.

Ah, well. More spots will open eventually.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
There's a lot of interesting taken-based adventures in Io that I really liked. They basically lay the ground work for an upcoming expansion, in a more interesting way than the hive stuff on Titan

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's honestly hilarious that people have already managed to find ways to try hard the weird, meaningless Lens PvP by just holing up in places like the towers on the snow map or one room on the Leviathan map and camping. God bless you, video gamers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trials is amazingly fun this weekend and I’m definitely going flawless tonight or tomorrow

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Look, the taken were designed to be rendered on a child's toy that had 512 MB of ram. I don't know what you're expecting.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Okay, maybe one of you will know what the hell is going on here because this is driving me nuts.

Destiny refuses to allow Borderless Windowed or Fullscreen Windowed at anything above 30fps. It appears to lock the game at this frame rate in only those two modes.

Running at Highest graphics in Fullscreen or regular Windowed mode pushes me to 200 fps. As soon as I switch to either of the other two (so I can actually chat with goons in discord and join groups), boom. 30 fps.

Have any of you had this issue? It makes no sense to me. Windowed mode with the dumb titlebar and action buttons runs at max FPS but removing the border costs me 170??????????????? Bungo pls

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Laser tag is incredible and I don't know if I'll ever have this much fun in this game's pvp when it's gone

It's like cod with spirit bombs instead of kill streaks and that's apparently fine by me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In a PvP mode where everyone has an infinite range, high impact laser gun with a devastating AoE DoT, the only things that matter are teamwork, game sense, and positioning

Probably my favorite PvP mode in any game I've ever played, TBQH

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Let's not go crazy here. It's better than standard D2 PvP because there's less "teamshoot" advantage because you can effectively kill another player you get the drop onto in <1s rather than all their chums turning onto you and melting you, and the playing field is fundamentally level. But it still has the majority of the flaws.

I did get a 1v4 clutch with laser tag that would have been mechanically impossible without lens though, which was cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The lasers even solve the problem you get in other low-ttk games where you're trying to identify where a shooter is in a split-second, in real time. Because there's a big fuckoff beam pointing right to them. Who the gently caress needs a MIDA when all you need to do is follow the shining red lights and keep your head about you.

What I'm saying is, laser tag needs to be its own playlist, or a mode you can switch to with some custom game functionality like in OW.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

the good fax machine posted:

Fuckin pro click. I'll personally guarantee a trials engram every week

please ensure this man remains in the hotdog clan so I can one day go flawless, tia

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would be majorly impressed if Bungie found a way to make a separate PvP playlist with this specific bug enabled without it having ripples in the code elsewhere, but I am 100% not a game dev. I think this is just gonna be a hella fun weekend and that's that.

FYI: What I've been testing is that the bug in ProLens is that the Impact has no falloff, meaning that pulsing the beam does more damage than hitting and ticking. If you treat ProLens like a scout or pulse rifle, you will do more DPS than if you just hold the beam down.

I've also found that Resilience is basically worthless in this meta, so I went 10 Mobility/0 Resilience/6 Recovery + Transversive steps (LOL it reloads your ProLens!?) and it feels more like Quake/Unreal than anything else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I would be majorly impressed if Bungie found a way to make a separate PvP playlist with this specific bug enabled without it having ripples in the code elsewhere, but I am 100% not a game dev. I think this is just gonna be a hella fun weekend and that's that.

FYI: What I've been testing is that the bug in ProLens that the Impact has no falloff, meaning that pulsing the beam does more damage than hitting and ticking. If you treat ProLens like a scout or pulse rifle, you will do more DPS than if you just hold the beam down.

I've also found that Resilience is basically worthless in this meta, so I went 10 Mobility/0 Resilience/6 Recovery + Transversive steps (LOL it reloads your ProLens!?) and it feels more like Quake/Unreal than anything else.

Yeah, tap firing as fast as you can will mean you win basically every Lens fight where you don't miss, and somehow that trick hasn't spread nearly as far as it should have yet.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If I wanted to costume up my titan to look like Solaire from Dark Souls, what armor sets / shaders / weapons should I be looking for?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Anybody for some early lazertrials?? I'm reliably getting 4 or so wins at a time last night but my group can't seem to figure out flawless runs. Carry me to greatness goons!

Orv
May 4, 2011

pmchem posted:

If I wanted to costume up my titan to look like Solaire from Dark Souls, what armor sets / shaders / weapons should I be looking for?

Unfortunately you can't get particularly close, the aesthetic of the game and especially Titan armor doesn't really allow it.

That said, my recommended setup would be;
  • New Monarchy helmet
  • Io arms
  • Trials or Vanguard (Ikora missions) chest
  • Nessus or Strike legs, depending on what part of Solaire's greaves you prefer to emphasize, can't have it all
  • Io or Raid mark

Weapons obviously use Crown-splitter as much as possible and probably Iron Battalion shader?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tatsuta Age posted:

Anybody for some early lazertrials?? I'm reliably getting 4 or so wins at a time last night but my group can't seem to figure out flawless runs. Carry me to greatness goons!

You don't have PMs so I'm Taga#1895 on b.net and will be on until 3:00 EST going for 7 wins/flawless

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

In a PvP mode where everyone has an infinite range, high impact laser gun with a devastating AoE DoT, the only things that matter are teamwork, game sense, and positioning

Probably my favorite PvP mode in any game I've ever played, TBQH

I just got done with my weekly milestone and I totally agree. I'm not a huge PvP fan because I'm old and my situational awareness is bad but the matches go so fast now! Win or lose the sense of momentum is incredible and even if they fix the gun I hope they can implement it with a wider selection of weapons.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

nickhimself posted:

Okay, maybe one of you will know what the hell is going on here because this is driving me nuts.

Destiny refuses to allow Borderless Windowed or Fullscreen Windowed at anything above 30fps. It appears to lock the game at this frame rate in only those two modes.

Running at Highest graphics in Fullscreen or regular Windowed mode pushes me to 200 fps. As soon as I switch to either of the other two (so I can actually chat with goons in discord and join groups), boom. 30 fps.

Have any of you had this issue? It makes no sense to me. Windowed mode with the dumb titlebar and action buttons runs at max FPS but removing the border costs me 170??????????????? Bungo pls

Sounds like windows game recording is on. Check under settings>games and turn any of windows recording crap off.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Orv posted:

Yeah, tap firing as fast as you can will mean you win basically every Lens fight where you don't miss, and somehow that trick hasn't spread nearly as far as it should have yet.

Time to use a click macro on the logitech game settings

Edit, it's better to just hold the button.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Murgos posted:

I’ll throw out that I think the Taken are a lame, bankrupt concept.

Hive, fallen, vex and cabal are all interesting and have their own flavor and style and are just good, solid antagonists.

The taken are just boring and I wouldn’t miss them if they were removed entirely.

I was straight up surprised they even put them in D2. Seems like D2 is the perfect chance to just leave them behind forever. They're awful.

The 4 base races are fantastic. Shame we can't get a new one, although I guess those pyramid darkness guys could be what I'm waiting for. And the new units they added to Cabal and co are cool at least.

QuasiQuack posted:

I just think it's very jaded to go "phwa they're just old models with a different color, bunch'a lazy hacks" when the taken are pretty well reasoned and fleshed out :shobon:

If they truly were that lazy Oryx's legions would just be regular hive

And before you jump down my throat; I do wish they'd create more factions and enemy types as well, I just think the taken are cool

Its an okay concept but they look ugly and they're not really fun to fight against.

I'd rather just fight TONS of fallen and cabal rather than fight a few taken.

Halo was at its best when you were fighting waves of grunts and jackals with a few elites mixed in. Taken kinda remind me of the new Halo 4/5 prometheans where they all look the same and they're just not fun to fight. Like yeah there's an okay concept behind them but who cares if they're ugly and no fun?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Halo enemies save for the Flood were all more fun to fight than the races in Destiny. Some of the Fallen have interesting AI with running away and flanking but literally everything else just stands in one place and shoots or moves towards you and it’s boring as hell. Destiny is also missing enemy chatter which just in general is a BIG part of making AI seem “smart.”

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All the designs in this game are pretty clear and informative at a glance, except maybe some fallen dougs and definitely most taken. The taken are also boring to look at on top of being quite intentionally muddled in design.

They're fine if you just need a quick new variety of familiar-ish enemy for a late-release expac but as they are, a main "faction" they kind of lol. A curiosity at best, and not a great one to look at.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean, I wasn't just blowing smoke when I called them the Noob Saibot faction

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Hunter Flawless Trials cloak looks very dope.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I really don't like that you can just sprint through the new strike (even heroic) without killing anything. I like killing goblins as a team not avoiding playing the game to get vanguard tokens.

Heroic strikes just feel like regular strikes once you pass 300.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Samu posted:

I really don't like that you can just sprint through the new strike (even heroic) without killing anything. I like killing goblins as a team not avoiding playing the game to get vanguard tokens.

Then group with friends and not rando's and tell them that you want to kill things?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

andrew smash posted:

One of the big taken you fight on Io is "Irausk, Herald of Savathun", so the theory right now is that Savathun went into Oryx's Throne-Realm (pocket dimension) and started to take over.

There's another bit here where we are getting Taken references to Quria, Blade Transform, which was the Vex mind that studied the Hive and was taken by Oryx. Ir Arok, Tongue of Quria showed up on Io in an adventure suggesting that maybe Savathun is not only figuring out how to command the Taken, but mix in some of the Vex's powers as well.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
None of my friends play this game on PC :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Levantine posted:

I just got done with my weekly milestone and I totally agree. I'm not a huge PvP fan because I'm old and my situational awareness is bad but the matches go so fast now! Win or lose the sense of momentum is incredible and even if they fix the gun I hope they can implement it with a wider selection of weapons.

Technically if you're old and busted a low TTK PvP game is worse for you because it's more demanding on your reflexes and aim. Right now there's a ton of people who just got the Lens so they're just running around like idiots in the open. Low TTK mostly allows more skilled players to wipe the floor with weaker ones, either by pulling off huge flanks that prey on lack of radar awareness/slow reactions or teamshooting with 3+ lasers to melt you before you even know what's going on. It's fun but it doesn't really suit 30 tick p2p Destiny 2 pvp for the longterm.

Fwiw I do prefer the high TTK teamwork meta over the alternative lower TTK single player hero aiming for big plays meta but maybe that's just me getting old and not caring about sick owning noobs 1v3 as much as getting the win with the team.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

JerikTelorian posted:

One of the big taken you fight on Io is "Irausk, Herald of Savathun", so the theory right now is that Savathun went into Oryx's Throne-Realm (pocket dimension) and started to take over.

There's another bit here where we are getting Taken references to Quria, Blade Transform, which was the Vex mind that studied the Hive and was taken by Oryx. Ir Arok, Tongue of Quria showed up on Io in an adventure suggesting that maybe Savathun is not only figuring out how to command the Taken, but mix in some of the Vex's powers as well.

I feel like I remember something from D1 (probably in the book of sorrows) where Oryx was suspicious that Savathun had figured out how he was Taking things, and just biding time.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Samu posted:

counterpoint: increased enemy density and major enemy spawns means far more frequent heavy ammo and potential super use, making heroic strikes more fun and also more rewarding if you’re grinding out Prophecy materials or vanguard tokens for masterworks next week

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tbh i find all the enemy factions pretty silly considering the player character having infinite respawns is an in game plot point

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Samu posted:

None of my friends play this game on PC :(

Need new friends. Guys, let’s step up to the plate and show this guy we can be his friend.

This is our call to action. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Gate posted:

I feel like I remember something from D1 (probably in the book of sorrows) where Oryx was suspicious that Savathun had figured out how he was Taking things, and just biding time.

One of the Io quests involves you finding out that someone else is Taking Taken, which had previously been thought impossible.

I also discovered that Devrim Kay is gay.

• Locked thread