Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah okay sure dude.

Edit: like legitimately that was not a specific callout post to you, singular poster Lurdiak and was aimed at the same arc this thread keeps going on every time this poo poo gets posted. I don't have any grudge and wasn't trying to piss off you, specifically. I hosed that up and I'm sorry.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah okay sure dude.

Edit: like legitimately that was not a specific callout post to you, singular poster Lurdiak and was aimed at the same arc this thread keeps going on every time this poo poo gets posted. I don't have any grudge and wasn't trying to piss off you, specifically. I hosed that up and I'm sorry.

In that case I'm sorry too. I take things too personally in general and it's neither good for me nor for threads I post in.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In all fairness, less popular indie comics also have this problem with people not getting it due to lacking context. So moments that seem really hype while in the middle of reading the conclusion to a six part arc seem really flaccid without the build up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roth posted:

In all fairness, less popular indie comics also have this problem with people not getting it due to lacking context. So moments that seem really hype while in the middle of reading the conclusion to a six part arc seem really flaccid without the build up.

I agree with this.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Roth posted:

I'll show you flaccid!!!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
In any case, Lurdiak, I don't think you get to have an av like that and still get to bitch about anime :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Reading right to left is my trigger and makes me break out in a cold sweat

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
As mentioned western comics and manga have different rhythms, different panel transition grammars, different visual shorthands. Each takes some practice to learn how to read. A thread about pithy little moments isn't going to teach you. Again, as mentioned, we also all (I'd guess) know who Batman and Spider-Man are and don't need a lot of scaffolding to understand what they're up to when we see them punching and fighting.

I don't know why it always descends into a "manga's bad, yuck" thing. I have some hunches but they're lovely and aren't a very generous set of reads of older western nerd communities. I don't really like 40s-50s Hollywood musicals. The colors annoy me and the pacing feels off. My partner loves them. She hates dour Eastern European comedies from the 70s. I can't get enough. Somehow we manage to co-exist without calling each other garbage. I have so many students who love love love manga and couldn't give a poo poo about Marvel or DC and are infinitely smarter and more with it than I ever was at their age. I feel like a lot of time reflexive comic-fan hatred of manga comes off as weirdly defensive at best, creepy and sort of racist at the worst. It also strikes me as weirdly ahistorical-- what major mainstream artist working in superhero comics since the 80s doesn't have a big dose of manga in their creative geneology? Even if that's second-hand, by way of Frank Miller or Jim Lee or whoever, I have a hard time thinking of anyone who doesn't owe a lot to the form.

I feel like people in this thread who like manga could be better at picking and choosing examples that work to impress people who don't know the narratives nor the mediums, and I feel like people in this thread who hate mangacould learn to just, like, chill a little.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My main problem with manga is that sometimes when panels/pages get really busy in linework i have trouble reading what's going on visually cuz there's no color to help distinguish things.

And manga seems to like really busy artwork

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Manga has cursed me to instinctively try to read any black & white comic right-to-left

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TwoPair posted:

Reading right to left is my trigger and makes me break out in a cold sweat

:cryingisraelflag:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Posting manga panels in these threads never goes well.

I've noticed, so no more manga.
Have some badass Cyclops.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Counterpoint, Cyclops' being an enormous tool in general turns it from a badass moment to merely a pretty cool one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thrall, no!!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Someday there’ll be a thread on The Character Assassination Of Scott Summers, and then we’ll get awesome Cyclops Did Nothing Wrong character examinations again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nilbop posted:

Someday there’ll be a thread on The Character Assassination Of Scott Summers, and then we’ll get awesome Cyclops Did Nothing Wrong character examinations again.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nilbop posted:

I always liked how the entire run of Schism built up some grand ideal about how mutants should fit into the modern world, then just comes to screening halt in the single panel where Cyclops tells Wolverine that Jean never loved him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

lol @ this panel

Also here's a breakdown (bordering on thesis) on the paneling abilities of Akira Toriyama:
By resident poster Xibanya

And as for paneling and framing in general, both sides of the pacific generally suck at it. But then you get people who actually understand that panels aren't just a window into disjointed scenes but a format in and of itself that should be the cornerstone upon which the art is built, informing all decisions of where to place the subjects and action. and that their placement can also communicate the passage of time, the gravity of words and actions as well as subtle ques for emotion.

For a western example: The Aja/Fraction run of Hawkeye is a step above most western comics in just conveying the action.:

Just in the way you eye naturally goes from each part of the panel to the next, the speech bubble being to the bottom left infers that hes saying it after she nocks her bow, its great and consistent through the entire run of the comic.
For bad examples of paneling there are a lot already in this thread.

Lastly: Using visual shorthands isnt a bad thing. Relying on them in place of proper paneling is where they start to become bad. Sometimes you dont have enough space to work with or where dwelling too long on one thing would be detrimental, thats where shorthand comes in. For example in manga the background going dark usually is used to imply that this is an instantaneous moment in time, while in western comics its a highlighting tool for certain panels to add gravitas.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 10, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm gonna say 90% of the time that this manga argument happens it isn't because manga is being posted, it's because Say Nothing is the one posting it and he has absolutely no concept of context or build-up

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, that chapter of One Punch Man was excellent in all respects, but out of context, there's nothing particularly powerful about a panel of Bang kicking that guy in the head, and even in context, "badass" isn't the tone for it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Aniums,

Now please post the panels were these characters are murder for being shits.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Herr Tog posted:

Now please post the panels were these characters are murder for being shits.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
bwahahahaha thank you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shut up about anime.

Context: Darth Vader is trying to find the Jedi’s most secret files. Jedi archivist Jocasta Nu isn’t happy about it but is no match for him.

Darth Vader vol. 2 #9

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well that's a very unrefined weapon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
something something more elegant weapon from a civilised age something something

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Was hoping for a bunch of fwockas as it fired lightsabers at Darth.

prefect fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 10, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

Well that's a very unrefined weapon.

Star Wars Tales #2

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
SAME REFERENCE COMBO BREAKER

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RolandTower posted:

This is an impressively bad take, and you should probably understand what he actually said before you go calling people dunces?

The post I quoted, with added emphasis:

Discendo Vox posted:

"Realism" doesn't work well as a defense or explanation when the comic also does this. The police aren't racist because it's realistic or some sort of social commentary, they're racist because the writer wants to have characters be racist, so that the writer can be racist. This method lets the author equivocate with transgressive imagery because the world of the comic is an unpleasant place. Ennis and Millar both use the same routine. That's the whole point.

So, yeah, tell me again how he didn't say the part I just bolded.

If we want to talk about how a writer can use a character's racism either for narrative purpose or if they've failed and have been transgressive just for the sake of being transgressive, we can and should have that discussion, I like that discussion, it's a good discussion to have. But we can have that discussion without making assumptions about the writer themselves, whether for good or ill. And if someone's dumb enough to do that, I reserve the right to call them a dunce, sorry if that upsets you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bongo Bill posted:

I mean, that chapter of One Punch Man was excellent in all respects, but out of context, there's nothing particularly powerful about a panel of Bang kicking that guy in the head, and even in context, "badass" isn't the tone for it.

It's also the least badass thing that happened in that chapter. I mean, that guy getting kicked in the face was knocked out in a previous chapter by a large dog.

Someone post the panels of the cyborg that decided the best way to take down this monster centipede that kept re-growing it's armor/outer shell every time it was blown off by an attack was to claw his way into it's mouth/down it's throat and then fire off his most powerful attacks to blow it up from the inside.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Someone post the panels of the cyborg that decided the best way to take down this monster centipede that kept re-growing it's armor/outer shell every time it was blown off by an attack was to claw his way into it's mouth/down it's throat and then fire off his most powerful attacks to blow it up from the inside.

No don't. I like OPM but god can we just avoid doing this dance again?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TwoPair posted:

No don't. I like OPM but god can we just avoid doing this dance again?

What dance? At worst these panels are on par with the Carnage panels you posted earlier in the thread.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

What dance? At worst these panels are on par with the Carnage panels you posted earlier in the thread.

The dance where anime people insist that anime isn't terrible while the normal people take cover and hope it blows over soon. :D

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

The dance where anime people insist that anime isn't terrible while the normal people take cover and hope it blows over soon. :D

LOL about you referencing "normal people" in a forum dedicated to comic books.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LOL about you referencing "normal people" in a forum dedicated to comic books.

I love the word "normal". It's so easy to start fights with.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The anime hate is just so performative like yall come across as extremely insecure dudes whose girlfriend just suggested they might look good in a magenta shirt or something and now you've got to yell and stomp your little feet about how you're not gay and you would never wear anything but your culturally prescribed symbols of masculinity

Sometimes manga is rad and sometimes anime is rad and I promise that seeing some manga panels won't cause you to spontaneously grow a Naruto headband and start eating your chicken tendos with chopsticks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't you know western art and animation is for big strong white manly men but anime and manga are for the colored, queers, and pedos

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Manga is the GamerGate of BSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's about Ethics in Panel Composition.