Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
how the gently caress is grayson allen gonna go in the first round to anybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

C. Everett Koop posted:

how the gently caress is grayson allen gonna go in the first round to anybody

He's pretty good at basketball

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He lacks a natural position in the NBA and struggles to score against elite players but then again I could see him being a major scorer in the right situation.

He has a big range between bust and starter and someone will take a chance on him, to answer the question.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I can tell just from looking at him that Allen plays the right way and is a real scrappy defender plus a total gym rat, does anybody know anything else about him? Is there anything significant in the Tatum Jayson/Allen Grayson rhyming Duke connection? Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows, only time?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Name tools seem a little lacking this year, or maybe I am just getting desensitized.

I also like how being a tweener forward is now a plus. You blossomed too early, Derrick Williams.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Name tools guys are nowhere near the lottery, but there are some significant dudes we've had on the radar for a while in DJ Hogg, Matur Maker and Omer Yurtseven

Some lesser guys who might sneak into the second round:
Lagerald Vick
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jaylen Hands
Quinndary Weatherspoon

and some kid named Alize like the liquor

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wonder how much trash people would be talking about Redick if he was coming out right now

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kiimo posted:

He lacks a natural position in the NBA and struggles to score against elite players but then again I could see him being a major scorer in the right situation.

He has a big range between bust and starter and someone will take a chance on him, to answer the question.

He's a bit of a jack of all trades, he can shoot on the catch and off the dribble, he can get to the rim and convert well against college players, he has a decent handle and he passes from time to time. He's small and slow for his position. His success in the NBA will rest on his situation and how he adjusts to NBA length and speed, which as you noted he's somewhat struggled to do in college, but that's a normal caveat for a late first round pick with his pedigree.

I don't love or hate him, but guys with his profile have become decent NBA players before, and they've also busted. I'd rather have someone else, but I wouldn't begrudge choosing him late enough.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Well Tjarks just put up a piece on the Ringer that goes into the argument why a center whos not getting blocks at the college level is so troubling.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/7..._source=twitter

I want to apologize for being so dismissive. To put my thoughts in fairer terms, the fact that he freelances and just fucks off on defense is not good in any way, that he plays bad interior defense is bad. But he can match up with almost anyone laterally and backpedalling from the perimeter, which is an incredible thing for a 6'10 guy. The hope is that he'll learn how to play defense and improve his jumper on offense.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Grayson Allen reacts to his draft stock

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Dejan Bimble posted:

I want to apologize for being so dismissive. To put my thoughts in fairer terms, the fact that he freelances and just fucks off on defense is not good in any way, that he plays bad interior defense is bad. But he can match up with almost anyone laterally and backpedalling from the perimeter, which is an incredible thing for a 6'10 guy. The hope is that he'll learn how to play defense and improve his jumper on offense.

No worries, I think we are on a similar page. Ayton is gonna be great offensively, has the tools on defense, moves well, but functionally isn't playing very well on defense right now. I was watching this video again and his 1 on 1 defense seemed really solid, but jeez anytime his man was involved in a screen he completely lost track of the play and UNLV got a wide open shot. I guess it comes down to how much you think those struggles come down to defensive effort, awareness, instincts etc and how much they can be improved.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 10, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any guys in this draft who stink of "WHY DID THIS GUY FALL?". Seems like every draft has them.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
my man trae

https://twitter.com/Carter_Shade/status/942144970324107264

https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/942147665504194560

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Bulls can't even loving tank properly.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Bulls can't even loving tank properly.

that avatar kills me every time

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
This Trae Young kid is fun as hell

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R.D. Mangles posted:

that avatar kills me every time

It's the best basketball related photoshop I ever made, the best non basketball related photoshop I ever made was a panda riding a stegosaurus

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What's the story on Trae Young? It seems like he'd probably have the same questions coming in as Prospect Curry, but other than his shot selection and maybe his size it looks like he's a better prospect at this point in time than Curry was

My main concern is that a shooter named "Trae" is too on-the-nose to pan out at the NBA level

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Trae Young's extra long threes break defenses like Curry's did. He's small, but he looks more talented than everyone else almost all the time. He's shooting about 3% less than Curry at the same age and maybe a slightly higher level of competition. College teams are better at guarding the line than they were in 2012, when they often wouldn't, and many teams try but simply cannot, but they try.

Probably has similar questions to other players like him, will he look as good against NBA length/athleticism, how will he function as part of a team and not as an incredibly ball dominant man with a whole offense revolving around him, will he be able to finish, will he continue to grow his hair, etc

I enjoy watching him, he looks like our just retired friend Matt Barnes, with large sections of arm and torso removed, making the timing of all this curious. If Matt Barnes has somehow shrunken his body while using the disused tissue as a potion to make his new self more vigorous and ball dominant, that would be interesting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cross-posting but Curry played shooting guard his first couple years and averaged like 3 something assists. Trae Young is leading the country in assists at 10 something.

He's a freshman in a major conference and effortlessly destroying all competition. I'm interested to see what happens come conference play.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

Cross-posting but Curry played shooting guard his first couple years and averaged like 3 something assists. Trae Young is leading the country in assists at 10 something.

He's a freshman in a major conference and effortlessly destroying all competition. I'm interested to see what happens come conference play.

he will be exposed against the mighty northwestern wildcat on friday

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

how will he function as part of a team and not as an incredibly ball dominant man with a whole offense revolving around him

this got me to look up some stats

GP GS MPG USG% OFF RTG DEF RTG TS% EFG% FT RATE 3FG TEND OFF REB% DEF REB% REB% AST% STL% BLK% TO%

11 McCollum, C.J. LEHIGH (junior)
35 35 33.1 33.5 115.1 89.7 .563 .496 42.6 30.7 5.0 17.6 10.2 25.4% 4.7% 1.7% 10.6%

Young, Trae OU (freshman)
10 10 32.3 35.3 128.9 100.9 .647 .577 47.8 51.6 1.0 9.8 5.2 54.6% 3.0% 0.9% 14.7%

Curry, Stephen DAVDSN (junior)
34 34 33.7 38.2 119.1 89.0 .611 .549 36.5 48.9 1.9 12.2 6.3 40.2% 4.2% 0.8% 13.6%

Trae will slow down in conference play and obviously these comparisons don't really mean much but man he's scary. Sorry about the formatting

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looking at his stats and I noticed something....http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4277905/trae-young

Oregon tried to hack a Shaq him and he made 17-18 free throws

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lol.

26 points and 22 assists, ridiculous

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do the game cocks have any prospects this year?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

in case anyone is wondering https://247sports.com/StatGame/Oklahoma-Sooners-Northwestern-State-Demons-319633?refresh=30#OKLA

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
yall realize that northwestern state and northwestern are two different schools

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

lol this is the most pure NBA fan thing I’ve seen in a while

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol.

26 points and 22 assists, ridiculous
I assumed those were over 2 games

What the gently caress?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

mmm that doesn't seem likely surely one of them would change their name

next you'll tell me texas state university and the university of texas are different schools

then you'll try to tell me the 19th wasn't a friday

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I watched a lot of Trae Young tape because his passes are absolutely filthy. He throws the ball like he's Favre. He's also got that knack for driving to the rim that'll help once he puts on muscle and can finish through contact.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

based on the first half of this game, there is no appreciable difference between northwestern and northwestern state

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

R.D. Mangles posted:

based on the first half of this game, there is no appreciable difference between northwestern and northwestern state

BOW DOWN TO TRAE BITCH

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

trae is insanely good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drink every time an announcer compares him to Curry

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Trae is getting easy fast break assists and taking 24 and 25-footers while having people act like they are from half court. At best he will win 2 MVPs in his career

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm going to start building my "games to watch" schedule soon. I pretty much just go for the most efficient path to watching the most players in the fewest games possible, but if anyone can think of some games that might be good for other reasons, let me know.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Trae Young is going to be Steph Curry but not a lame system player

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Trae Young is going to be Steph Curry but not a lame system player

So Jimmer 2.0? I'm ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What do you guys think RJ Barrett will end up doing? I know y'all hate Duke but it feels like Canada is sending more and more people to the NBA.

• Locked thread