Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Does that also mean it's a game you get a lot of hours out of?

I got at least 200 hours out of the last MH I played. Which was my first one also. Edit: Which was Generations.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I must have put 300 hours into monster hunter tri

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They barely changed the gameplay and the beta is a terrible entry point like all their 3ds demos were so people are gonna load it up, have no idea wtf, realize world doesnt mean open world arpg adventure, and run out of time vs an enemy with no health bar and they are gonna go back to hzd or bloodborne instead of preoredering the game

Not that mh should have to change at all, but to be what capcom says it wants, a global hit, it cant be the same game thats only sold a few hundred thousand copies per title in north america for a decade.

Im totally getting it though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it will be "a hit" but maybe it will sell more than any other MH in north america and they will consider that a win.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't think releasing a demo that's just the beginning of the game would work either considering people have been complaining about the starts of monster hunter games for over a decade

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The exact missions they gave us, plus access to the town and gear crafting would have been a great intro to the game though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Idk if they can ever make it as popular in the west as it is in japan without changing its identity to the point where it's not really monster hunter anymore. It's simply leaps and bounds more complex than almost all AAA fare is over here, and no matter how well the game explains itself (I suspect world will still have a lot of ground to cover here) there is going to be a big barrier to entry. However the game presents itself, the gameplay simply isn't ever going to be something you can learn instantly.

I've hardly ever read someone say the games instantly clicked with them--It usually takes 10 hours for someone to understand why monster hunter is so great and get hooked. I feel like in today's supersaturated market it is really hard to sell a game that takes so much investment just to know how to tie your shoelaces. Back when I played tri I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into and it really snuck up on me how engaging the game was. Then I put hundreds of hours into it and have more fond memories of it than I do of most games

That said the demo does not represent itself well to people who don't already know the series (and even then the removal of segmented zones really changes the game for the people who do). Even with its babied-down monsters, you're still thrown into the deep end with way too little time on the quests to soak it in and learn much, and you can't accurately represent monster hunter without some sense of what the player is working toward, which just isn't there in disconnected quests.

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
I’d get it if it wasn’t so choppy.

Maybe when I buy a pro 2 years from now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does MH still require you to utilize The Claw?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Paracelsus posted:

Does MH still require you to utilize The Claw?

No.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

but using the claw will still make you much more powerful

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Snak posted:

I don't think it will be "a hit" but maybe it will sell more than any other MH in north america and they will consider that a win.

Not with four to ten times the development costs.

It will crater outside Japan and not sell enough to make up for that in its domestic market.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think MHW is releasing up against any other big marquee titles at the start of 2018 so it'll probably do well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's a beta that goes away in 2 days. Why is there a timer?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The mission timer? That's standard MonHun procedure AFAIK.

Oh, while I did play for only two rounds, there's one little thing that did bother me: 30 seconds is not enough to skin whatever you killed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samuringa posted:

The mission timer? That's standard MonHun procedure AFAIK.

Oh, while I did play for only two rounds, there's one little thing that did bother me: 30 seconds is not enough to skin whatever you killed.

It's normally 60 seconds on a kill IIRC, and I'm pretty sure even that 30 seconds is being curtailed early in the beta for some reason

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like we will be able to pick this up for 20€ or less in the bargain bin soonish after it failed in the west. Might give it a spin then.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

Capcom is not going to find the broad western appeal its looking for with mhw in my opinion.

I really hope you're wrong. We finally got a Monster Hunter game that doesn't have PS2-tier graphics and on hardware that doesn't cause massive hand cramps.

Hopper posted:

Sounds like we will be able to pick this up for 20€ or less in the bargain bin soonish after it failed in the west. Might give it a spin then.

Sounds like you want it to fail, which is really scummy of you.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 10, 2017

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hopper posted:

lmao immediately expecting it to be a huge flop is kind of extreme my dude

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sorry about all the goobers in this thread; MHW fuckin owns. The beta is my first monhan and I'm already hooked on playing with friends. I'm in on day 1, hype as gently caress.

Stay safe, Rathalos.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't want it to flop, I really don't care either way. However, the description of the botched demo and the general mechanics lead me to believe it may not exactly be THE game for a western market. It may sell well I initially but in my experience, the love for "unusual" eastern mechanics in Games that some people express on here is not the same when I check in RL.

I know a lot of people who play games, from my cousins who are FIFA junkies, friends who are Nintendo aficionados, Steam junkies, ardent PC gamers, people who have a console but few games to people with multiple consoles etc. But none of them are into games like Monster hunter or FF or other distinctly eastern games that get brought up here as much as some of you guys.

Yes it is anecdotal evidence, but I can't imagine MHW becoming a huge hit when it has such foreign aspects as time limits, no health bars and what seems to be a major materials grind as main motivator for time investment.

Also not that I care, but funny how "I want it to fail" by saying I expect to be able to pick it up on the cheap soon, but when someone says the same about Battlefront 2 or any other run of the mill AAA game they either get no comment or a "same".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hopper posted:

Also not that I care, but funny how "I want it to fail" by saying I expect to be able to pick it up on the cheap soon, but when someone says the same about Battlefront 2 or any other run of the mill AAA game they either get no comment or a "same".

Because nothing about MH: World is scummy lootbox garbage. Also, I really don't get why people are calling it a botched demo. I haven't touched a MH game since Tri, and I was able to quickly shake off my rust and kill the Great Jagras solo in about 2 minutes. Seems like it did its job well in my opinion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Here's my hot take prediction: it won't set the world on fire but will sell better in the west than any of the previous MH games due to looking nice and actually having a functional control system for a change.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"nobody really cares about these strange eastern games" he says in the year where 99% of the biggest games were japanese

Sakurazuka posted:

Here's my hot take prediction: it won't set the world on fire but will sell better in the west than any of the previous MH games due to looking nice and actually having a functional control system for a change.

pretty much

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hopper posted:

I don't want it to flop, I really don't care either way. However, the description of the botched demo and the general mechanics lead me to believe it may not exactly be THE game for a western market. It may sell well I initially but in my experience, the love for "unusual" eastern mechanics in Games that some people express on here is not the same when I check in RL.

I know a lot of people who play games, from my cousins who are FIFA junkies, friends who are Nintendo aficionados, Steam junkies, ardent PC gamers, people who have a console but few games to people with multiple consoles etc. But none of them are into games like Monster hunter or FF or other distinctly eastern games that get brought up here as much as some of you guys.

Yes it is anecdotal evidence, but I can't imagine MHW becoming a huge hit when it has such foreign aspects as time limits, no health bars and what seems to be a major materials grind as main motivator for time investment.

Are you implying that Final Fantasy is not commercially successful in the west?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

"nobody really cares about these strange eastern games" he says in the year where 99% of the biggest games were japanese

if we are talking about sales this is straight up not true. at all.

quote:

Here are the top ten best-selling games of 2o17 so far:

Destiny 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
NBA 2K18
Madden NFL 18
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Grand Theft Auto V
For Honor
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Mass Effect: Andromeda

this is according to a forbes article from october though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry the official Game Awards Game of the Year is Japanese, nullifying whatever point you're trying to make.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry the official Game Awards Game of the Year is Japanese, nullifying whatever point you're trying to make.

Attitude Indicator posted:

if we are talking about sales

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

:thejoke:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

if we're talking about sales the biggest games are like league of legends and clash royale every year dude

e: like if you wanted to do the sales thing you could have at least said pubg

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i just googled a list, dude. besides tetris rules all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The point is that money talks and western publishers aren't going to suddenly start making anime high school RPGs because Persona 5 sold okay, when noted GOTY contender Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands sells 10 million units just by being a Tom Clancy online shootman game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it worth it trying to play Forma 8 further than the tentacle boss (which is where I died)? Because so far it's been poo poo generic "poo poo generic indie game"-type indie game #3 with the added annoyance of making my thumb sore because the controls are poo poo.

No, is not worth playing. Is yet another indie with "art looking graphics", slow movements, a few gimmicks and boring gameplay. I gave it more than the usual 20 minutes, gave it 40-45 and uninstalled because it was boring as hell.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Attitude Indicator posted:

this is according to a forbes article from october though

I can guarantee you that at least 3/4ths of those Destiny 2 sales have been a regretful purchase if you want to go off how much the playerbase has dropped.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The point is that money talks and western publishers aren't going to suddenly start making anime high school RPGs because Persona 5 sold okay, when noted GOTY contender Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands sells 10 million units just by being a Tom Clancy online shootman game.

nobody said they were going to but "i checked with the fifa boys and actually nobody cares these strange foreign games" is stupid to say in a year where most of the discussion has been about the strange foreign games and pointing to sales is even stupider because fuckin of course the top of the charts are gonna be mostly mass market low-investment popcorn stuff. it's like saying "actually nobody cares about any of the movies nominated for the oscars this year, as evidenced by despicable me 3"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TaurusOxford posted:

I can guarantee you that at least 3/4ths of those Destiny 2 sales have been a regretful purchase if you want to go off how much the playerbase has dropped.

Destiny 2 sales haven't even been on the top monthly downloads in a month or two. I wouldn't be surprised if sales really did fall down as sharply as the player base.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know if they count as "sales" the codes they include with graphic cards. Most of my coworkers wich were bugging me to buy Destiny 2 on release stopped playing. I'll get it with a complete edition and on sale in about a year or so wich seems like the best idea.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I tried the beta and I definitely enjoyed what I was doing

I only played Freedom Unite briefly but MonHu on a proper home console could definitely be my jam

Also the graphics look really nice

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
Did anyone else struggle with the difficulty on Wolfenstein II? I'm getting dumpstered on medium (Bring Em On).

The court/trial section can go gently caress itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AutomaticPrince posted:

Did anyone else struggle with the difficulty on Wolfenstein II? I'm getting dumpstered on medium (Bring Em On).

The court/trial section can go gently caress itself.

The difficulty is hosed up in the game. Feel free to turn it down if you wanna run and gun more.