Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Thanks to whoever posted about delamination replacement the other day. I'd had my late-2013 rMBP screen replaced in 2015 under warranty but there'd been the same issue there again (looked like a scratch inline with the top of the palm rest) and so I took it in again today. 2 hours later I've got a brand new screen even though Applecare expired in March. Official price £391. The line didn't bother me at all, but I'm glad to be rid of the 2 dead pixels. Not sure when the programme ends, but why not get a free screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I have not tried that particular drive, but I have a whole pile of USB hard drives and thumb drives that either:

Work at USB 2.0 speeds
Lock up the Mac
Work for a few seconds then disappear
Don't even show up

Putting a hub in the middle doesn't help. All these drive work fine (except one Sandisk USB thumb drive that still doesn't work) with the Apple USB-C to USB adapter.

Same results with my 2015 MacBook, 2016 MacBook, and 2016 MacBook Pro

Maybe your adapter is bad

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weedle posted:

Maybe your adapter is bad

Two different adapters as well.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Does apple run sales or deals near the end of the year on their laptops? Like a gift card or a free pair of headphones or something? Debating if I should buy now or wait a few weeks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virtue posted:

Does apple run sales or deals near the end of the year on their laptops? Like a gift card or a free pair of headphones or something? Debating if I should buy now or wait a few weeks.

Sometimes, but you're more likely to see it during the run up for the school year (like Aug thru Sept)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Virtue posted:

You’ll frequently get a better deal via third party sites like bestbuy, frys, or BHphoto.

Bestbuy had my MacBook $250 cheaper vs Apple.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MarcusSA posted:

You’ll frequently get a better deal via third party sites like bestbuy, frys, or BHphoto.

I just bought mine at BB and it was the same list price as apple.com.

And I view apple stuff not giving discounts like Toyota never having to give discounts on the 4Runners. They sell themselves and why screw yourself out of premium profits.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Was planning on going refurbished but apparently they gift wrap refurbished pros but not the regular MacBooks so maybe I’ll change it up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Virtue posted:

Occasionally they’ll do something small for a holiday but probably the best pack-in deal these days is the back-to-school headphone offer that they do in the summer.

If you’re after a discount, everybody loves the Apple refurb store. It’s probably the gold standard of refurb stores.

Edit: you knew that. Sorry. :P

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Keyser_Soze posted:

Do you goons like the LG 27UD88 ($700) or Dell P2715Q ($500) monitors?

I am thinking going for a single 27 instead of dual 24"s (Dell P2415Q), but if there are preferable 24's out there now I'll consider those as well. Reviews are mixed on both of those 27"s of course so need some input from Mac users.

It would be used on my 2017 13" MBP non-touch bar 2 port model (i5, 16gb). I am not a gamer but will use it for streaming videos. I'd also probably spring for a Kensington SD5000T to run all this through.

I got the Dell P2715Q for $487 from B&H and it's great so far - I am using the display port through the Kensington SD5000T, which also works as advertised and supporting everything I plug into it (MBP/Das keyboard/USB stick/speakers/network).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Whatever aluminum they are making the lates MacBooks out of is very fragile. I accidentally dropped my two week old 13" on a pair of jeans, it hit the back of a button and gouged the poo poo out of the case. Just glad the screen didn't get hosed up.

https://imgur.com/a/h3rtJ

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. Zipper on my bag made a nice notch on my 2016 15"

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I've enjoyed being a video editor in a new city after turning all of my hardware over to PC in the past year, but I needed to open some foreign Final Cut Pro X projects and also test publishing a VR project to iOS, so yesterday I bought a Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB in original box, valid purchase date, great shape for $400 cash. After the work was done, I deeply fiddled with my PC desktop and laptop and they're now High Sierra hackintoshes- no real need for the Mac mini. The point in my silly story is- do any of you need this thing for that price? PM me with your zip if so and it can be out the door tomorrow. It's great and snappy, I just don't want an extra computer if I don't need it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I have a Macbook Pro 15'' Retina Late 2013 that I'd like to shove an external curved monitor at. Any recommendations that I can get to run at an acceptable resolution/frame rate?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Well you won't be able to do 4K/60, the best that it will handle is probably 1440p (non ultra wide).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
From what I'm seeing Late 2013 is Haswell, which has TB2/DP1.2 so you would be able to do 4K/60Hz with that. I had the 13" model as a work computer for a few years and remember being able to use native DP 4K monitors or an active HDMI adapter with a 4K TV.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 10, 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587 suggests it can do it if you have a MST-supporting display.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
So I didn't buy it when I had the chance and the MBP model I want (256gb 16gb) has disappeared from the refurb page again. Is refurb-tracker.com reliable? I am hoping I won't have to keep checking apple every day.

nervana fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 11, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nervana posted:

So I didn't buy it when I had the chance and the MBP model I want (256gb 16gb) has disappeared from the refurb page again. Is refurb-tracker reliable.com? I am hoping I won't have to keep checking apple every day.

That’s fine, I also like https://www.refurb.me

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thank you for the help lil goons

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

FCKGW posted:

That’s fine, I also like https://www.refurb.me

Thanks so much. Now I wait.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

I have a Macbook Pro 15'' Retina Late 2013 that I'd like to shove an external curved monitor at. Any recommendations that I can get to run at an acceptable resolution/frame rate?
You can run any 4k HDMI display at 60hz using this adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B702YTG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I'm a little stuck and my Google-troubleshooting isn't getting me anywhere. I have a 2010 Mac Pro I wanted to start using for some CUDA work, so I got a GTX 1070. I'm having trouble getting it recognized. I've got it attached in one of the x16 slots and connected to the motherboard with a Apple mini-6pin to 8pin adapter. I've got the newest version of the NVIDIA Web Driver (378.10.10.10.25.102) and CUDA Driver (387.99) on 10.13.2. If I check System Information it does see a graphics card that is list, but it is only detected as:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Chip Model
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-2
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 0 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1b81
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
Metal: Supported

Additionally, this is (obviously?) not functional as a graphics card and is not recognized as a CUDA device by either my programs or the included sample deviceQuery.

bin/x86_64/darwin/release/deviceQuery Starting...

CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

cudaGetDeviceCount returned 38
-> no CUDA-capable device is detected
Result = FAIL

Is there something obvious I am missing about how to get this recognized and running?

edit: I also randomly tried adding nvda_drv=1 to my nvram boot-args but that didn't do anything.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 11, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sounds like either a bad card or defective power cable? I had a partially borked card like that from EVGA that I bought refurb'd from them, I bitched to them and they shipped me out a replacement within days.

If that's an original Apple cord it's probably super old, might need a replacement..

Could try it on a PC if you had one handy..

Also did you do all the other stuff like press the logic board reset button, reset PRAM and SMC..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 11, 2017

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Sounds like either a bad card or defective power cable? I had a partially borked card like that from EVGA that I bought refurb'd from them, I bitched to them and they shipped me out a replacement within days.

If that's an original Apple cord it's probably super old, might need a replacement..

Could try it on a PC if you had one handy..

Also did you do all the other stuff like press the logic board reset button, reset PRAM and SMC..

It might be a broken card, it is an NVIDIA FE refurb I picked up from Microcenter last week. It is a brand new but third party cable so it is possible it is defective. Only PCs I have here either have power supplies without 8pins or are too critical to gently caress around with. I guess I'll take it home and put it in my PC tonight and see if it works there.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I'm attempting to fix my mid-2013 Macbook Air. I dropped it about 3 years back and the screen busted, doesn't turn on at all and neither does the light on the Apple logo.

I just went through the process of removing the entire display, checking all of the connections, and reinstalling it. So far, nothing seems to be working. I believe the screen is just simply busted and needs to be replaced.

Assuming there's nothing else I can do, do any of you have a spare macbook air mid-2013 screen by any chance, and if not where are some good places to buy some of decent quality? One of the repair sites I went to was suggesting a couple at around $450 which seems like a lot to fix a 4 year old laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.macscreenrepair.com/services/macbook-air-screen-replacement/

That's $329 but that is a lot.

Good luck finding one. The prices on eBay are stupid but once in a while you can get a deal.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Verisimilidude posted:

Assuming there's nothing else I can do, do any of you have a spare macbook air mid-2013 screen by any chance, and if not where are some good places to buy some of decent quality? One of the repair sites I went to was suggesting a couple at around $450 which seems like a lot to fix a 4 year old laptop.

I have a dead 2010 MacBook air here (not screen dead, I want to say corrosion from a water spill eventually caught up to it, if you trust the Genius bar tech) that I'd love to get money for :D
I have no idea if that screen is compatible with the 2013 model.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It might be a broken card, it is an NVIDIA FE refurb I picked up from Microcenter last week. It is a brand new but third party cable so it is possible it is defective. Only PCs I have here either have power supplies without 8pins or are too critical to gently caress around with. I guess I'll take it home and put it in my PC tonight and see if it works there.

Is it a reference design? (dumb question, I don't know what nVidia FE is) Web drivers are declared as beta software and they explicitly claim that Pascal chipset support status is 'well, give it a whirl and see.'

Anecdotally, I've seen more people have problems with 1070s than any other non-natively supported nVidia card in cheesegraters. 980s, 1080s and Titans all seem to be pretty much trouble-free computing (or as trouble free as it can be when you choose the web driver life) but 1070s not so much.

In case you haven't already used it, there's an excellent support thread/group therapy thread for web driver life over on the MR forums - you might be able to get an answer there as they're pretty good at finding all manner of fixes and workarounds: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

Is it a reference design? (dumb question, I don't know what nVidia FE is) Web drivers are declared as beta software and they explicitly claim that Pascal chipset support status is 'well, give it a whirl and see.'

Anecdotally, I've seen more people have problems with 1070s than any other non-natively supported nVidia card in cheesegraters. 980s, 1080s and Titans all seem to be pretty much trouble-free computing (or as trouble free as it can be when you choose the web driver life) but 1070s not so much.

In case you haven't already used it, there's an excellent support thread/group therapy thread for web driver life over on the MR forums - you might be able to get an answer there as they're pretty good at finding all manner of fixes and workarounds: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

nvidia fe is founder's edition aka reference design. dumb naming conventions

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

nvidia fe is founder's edition aka reference design. dumb naming conventions

Ah - gotcha!

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I ended up putting it in place of my 1080 ti in my PC yesterday and it showed up in Device Manager as having reported problems (Code: 43). I don't even want to attempt to get NVIDIA to fix this because their website seems to claim they don't sell anything directly and all service goes through whoever made it, but this is only NVIDIA branded. I figure it is just broken so back to Microcenter it goes. Too bad because it was a much better deal than anything I've seen recently in these crypto-obsessed times.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I managed to snag a 980Ti on eBay for just shy of £200 back in Feb, which is an admirable performer. Just be aware that if you're going to vmax it you will overload the mini 6 pin power line's max rated wattage. That being said, vmaxing it is pretty tough to do outside of synthetic torture tests ime.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BHPhoto has been selling the 15" Touchbar 2016 models for like a year now for $700 off normal price and they can't get rid of them. They even had super low prices on Black Friday with an additional $200 off. Nobody loves the touchbar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

BHPhoto has been selling the 15" Touchbar 2016 models for like a year now for $700 off normal price and they can't get rid of them. They even had super low prices on Black Friday with an additional $200 off. Nobody loves the touchbar.

I don't *love* it, but I like it. Once I got used to the app specific short cuts, it's pretty drat useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I just left mine on 'be the regular function keys'

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I have a dead 2010 MacBook air here (not screen dead, I want to say corrosion from a water spill eventually caught up to it, if you trust the Genius bar tech) that I'd love to get money for :D
I have no idea if that screen is compatible with the 2013 model.

Appreciate it but 2010 monitors are not compatible with 2013-present monitors!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Mid 2013 and Early 2014 13-inch MacBook Airs use the same display.

Same goes for 13-inch Early 2015 and Adjectiveless 2017 MBA models.

Mid 2013 and Early 2014 use the same SSDs, and were sourced from Toshiba, SanDisk, and Samsung.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
So finally going to bite the bullet and buy a 13 inch non-TB MBP. What mouse and case does everybody use and what USB-C to USB 3.0 dongle should I get? The official Apple one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Don’t get a mouse, MacBooks are insanely good to operate with the trackpad and carrying around a mouse is really not necessary.