Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE

THIS MOVIE GETS ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's my secret, Cap. I don't get any references.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This morning I sat down and focused and defeated Invisible Inc's no rewinds achievement :toot:

Next up: ... expert plus. hahahaha no not now I'm going to rest and savor my victory

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

This reference, I like it! Another! *smashes computer on ground*

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You know I don't like that word.

*sigh* Memories with connection to pop culture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the gay rape joke in ff7 is very tasteful --endorph

i said rewrite the gay sex jokes jesus

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel there's a chance for an adaptation of RP1 to be pretty okay if it's done right. The problem with RP1 is it's pretty much a generic 80s movie story filled to the brim with pop culture worship. I honestly don't have a problem with pop culture character showing up in the trailer because this is a movie about the future internet and of course that world would be made up of pop culture references. The key to how standable it all is is how close the movie actually leans towards the attitude of the book. The whole story could easily be made as a commentary on the internet age and how people wallow in their own little bubbles. From what I understand the book is not that and just unironically embraces it's world as awesome but an adaptation could easily diverge from that and the sort of crowded drabness in the trailers give me some hope. Spielberg is sentimental as gently caress but it tends to be in a drastically different way than RP1 so I think there is some hope for the adaptation but I'm also not holding my breath.

I agree that a subversive critical adaptation would be great, but considering the loving hero shots of the DeLorean freshly polished with two coats of Spielberg's semen Biff's wax, I wouldn't hold out either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I mean, if there's anyone I'd trust to make a decent movie out of a bad book, it'd be Spielberg. He kind of has a good track record in that department.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
RP1 is about a utopia where star wars and other pop culture stuff is thankfully dead and long forgotten

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Ready Player One sounds like a compilation of the YouTube search results for "My Funko Pop collection".

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

my problem with ready player one was that it was loving terrible

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm offended by RP1's implication that Overwatch will be an enduring classic that isn't forgotten within a decade.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm offended by RP1's implication that Overwatch will be an enduring classic that isn't forgotten within a decade.

i mean tf2 is still making money ten years later. overwatch will be the same way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Overwatch has sold over 35 million copies. Making it more popular then even Minecraft.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
But I hate it so much :qq:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would play more if the PC player base wasn't so disgustingly toxic and vile.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I thought the beginning of RP1 was ok with the dystopia stuff but then the author goes crazy with the fan service and basically writes himself into the book as Willy Wonka who's fortune is unlocked by having intricate knowledge of his favorite 80s and 90s pop culture references. It's so bad! (Reference to a movie lol did you get it)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does RP1 at least respect the cultural significance of memes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

But I hate it so much :qq:

It's fun

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean tf2 is still making money ten years later. overwatch will be the same way.

The only reason it would ever last that long is if blizzard keeps throwing money at it, because the gameplay and balancing sure as poo poo isn't what will keep people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When we went out for my sisters birthday last month my brother-in-law spent a long time telling everyone how RPO was the best book he'd ever read...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

It might be fun if;

1) The community wasn't toxic
2) It wasn't balanced like garbage

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm def more happy about TF2's success because most of my hours went into mod servers with custom maps and crazy game-modes. It's hard for me to play Overwatch without getting bored of the same six maps and dogshit playerbase.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not too sure about that one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow, Star Wars Battlefront II is really bad. Easily the worst game I've played this year and possibly one of the worst shooters ever made. Like, forget the lootboxes, forget the lovely campaign, I have never played a shooter that felt so floaty, weightless, imprecise, and low-impact that wasn't made by a single college student. There are asset flips that feel better than this

Edit: the best parts are the starfighter sequences, mainly because of TIE Fighter nostalgia

Edit: Like, they somehow made it so playing a dude with a lightsaber does not feel fun, it's like that joke gif from Revenge of the Sith where Obi-Wan is just swinging his lightsaber like a doof not hitting anything, nothing feels right about this

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 10, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I would play more if the PC player base wasn't so disgustingly toxic and vile.

I'd play more if I could cross play with all the people I know who play it on xbox or whatever. I get why you can't have cross play, but just include it and let people turn it off if they don't want to be matched with each other, I just want to play games with my friends

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, Star Wars Battlefront II is really bad. Easily the worst game I've played this year and possibly one of the worst shooters ever made. Like, forget the lootboxes, forget the lovely campaign, I have never played a shooter that felt so floaty, weightless, imprecise, and low-impact that wasn't made by a single college student. There are asset flips that feel better than this

Edit: the best parts are the starfighter sequences, mainly because of TIE Fighter nostalgia

Edit: Like, they somehow made it so playing a dude with a lightsaber does not feel fun, it's like that joke gif from Revenge of the Sith where Obi-Wan is just swinging his lightsaber like a doof not hitting anything, nothing feels right about this

The flight missions were made by a different studio so them feeling good is not a positive for DICE

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The flight missions were made by a different studio so them feeling good is not a positive for DICE

If anything it means that Criterion needs to make another Burnout.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yo I heard you like Street Fighter

https://twitter.com/streetfighter/status/939989924727595008

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, Star Wars Battlefront II is really bad. Easily the worst game I've played this year and possibly one of the worst shooters ever made. Like, forget the lootboxes, forget the lovely campaign, I have never played a shooter that felt so floaty, weightless, imprecise, and low-impact that wasn't made by a single college student. There are asset flips that feel better than this.

A gunplay feels like poo poo so they can sell you cards that make it not-poo poo. I wish I was joking.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Didn't Criterion work on Battlefront 2 full time doing the space fights? Imagine how good a racing game you could make if Criterion and DICE collaborated for a few years

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Ready player one is just Who framed Roger Rabbit but instead of bob hoskins shooting doc brown with mexican stereotype bullets it's the konami code

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Are there any other video game series who's high point was a live action movie, or is it basically just street fighter?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
My buddy just bought a PS4 and his first two purchases were Fallout 4 and SW:Battlefront 2 :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mortal Kombat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Saint Freak posted:

Are there any other video game series who's high point was a live action movie, or is it basically just street fighter?
this is a weird way to phrase the questionn but yeah the Mortal Kombat movie legit owns

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

The high point of Street Fighter was Super Turbo, which doubles as the high point of video games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

Does Tron count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A reminder that Mike Nelson of MST3k and Rifftrax fame has done a book club podcast where he and another Rifftrax writer who's name escapes me read through RP1 and podcast their commentary about it. It is very good and y'all should read the book along with them. It's called 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back.

• Locked thread