Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
all the babies are dead because they all become highly territorial and feral once they reach puberty and had to be put down. yes even the orlan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Iretep posted:

all the babies are dead because they all become highly territorial and feral once they reach puberty and had to be put down. yes even the orlan.

Do not speak ill of my kidnapped adopted chosen one Orlan daughter. :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
I think rope kid has tentatively confirmed the various talents your character can acquire (from the machine, making nice with Llengrath, factions, etc) carrying over. The main problem was that they didn't want new characters to start off with all of them, as I recall.

I'd really hope Concelhaut's skull carries over. Not with the powers he gets, or at least not in full; just as a floating skull pet. I've grown fond of him now that he's bound to serve me.

(Ideally he'd be one of the companion-lites, as a reference to Morte).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want my baby wurm to see the world. The poor thing was just hatched in a poo poo heap dungeon. It deserves to see the world, and then watch me burn it down.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd really hope Concelhaut's skull carries over. Not with the powers he gets, or at least not in full; just as a floating skull pet. I've grown fond of him now that he's bound to serve me.
Zombie cat has eaten Concelhaut, absorbed his powers and is now demilich cat.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do not speak ill of my kidnapped adopted chosen one Orlan daughter. :colbert:
She was exposed to Glanfathan culture for months of her life, though. Probably the first that had to be taken behind the shed.

The Lagufaeth though, never. Lagufaeth are near angelic beings of infinite grace and gentleness:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The beta is its own separate thing that doesn't load your game state from the first game, but from what I've read, I believe the answer is you can either import a character OR there will be a few different "what choices did you make in the first game?" options of differing levels of granularity.

Sounds good, thanks!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So, people in the beta: do you find that having a good healer (Lifegiver Druid, Priest) makes a big difference?

I haven't played with Priests at all after the first shot at the beta with the default mercenaries, but Lifegivers have been doing really well for me. My parties with them (two so far, thirds just started) have been much better than those with just a Paladin or Chanter for healing support.
(The one exception being the party of 5 beckoning Wildrhymers, but that's kind of a bit of a special case and didn't need heals too badly due to having a wall of skeletons and a second wall of baby dragons between the enemy and the characters. And I still took Heal Companion on all 5 Wildrhymers.)

Hodgepodge posted:

(Ideally he'd be one of the companion-lites, as a reference to Morte).
Just by the way, it may mean nothing but the beta data includes this:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wizard Styles posted:

Concelhaut's Skull is under PX2, PX1 is for a death knight Durance that just runs around screaming about whores.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jokes posted:

I want my baby wurm to see the world. The poor thing was just hatched in a poo poo heap dungeon. It deserves to see the world, and then watch me burn it down.

Pets beyond the simple vendor ones are a great thing to carry over, as the provide a sense of continuity, give a bit of a reward for playing both, but aside from the skull, have zero impact.

(If they do bring the skull he should start to talk and be sarcastic though.)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Wizard Styles posted:

So, people in the beta: do you find that having a good healer (Lifegiver Druid, Priest) makes a big difference?

I haven't played with Priests at all after the first shot at the beta with the default mercenaries, but Lifegivers have been doing really well for me. My parties with them (two so far, thirds just started) have been much better than those with just a Paladin or Chanter for healing support.
(The one exception being the party of 5 beckoning Wildrhymers, but that's kind of a bit of a special case and didn't need heals too badly due to having a wall of skeletons and a second wall of baby dragons between the enemy and the characters. And I still took Heal Companion on all 5 Wildrhymers.)

Oooh, nice.

Good to know the dude didn't cut on corners when it came to turning his own skull into an intricately-carved magical artifact; one awakening god later and I guess it's still got a death grip on his soul.

(Making the phylactery must have been really unpleasant).

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Something silly in this game is how you'll fight your way through an enemy base before reaching their leader and resolving a quest-related problem without bloodshed. I just spoke to the Iron Flail commander and we agreed to help each other, right after I murdered his entire camp because they wouldn't let me inside to see him. As far as I know, there was no other option.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

snoremac posted:

Something silly in this game is how you'll fight your way through an enemy base before reaching their leader and resolving a quest-related problem without bloodshed. I just spoke to the Iron Flail commander and we agreed to help each other, right after I murdered his entire camp because they wouldn't let me inside to see him. As far as I know, there was no other option.

There is, but it's really annoying sub-par infiltration with lots of quick-reload. Also I believe if you kill too many of his guys you can't convince him peacefully. And the checks for the peaceful resolution aren't that easy to pass either, iirc.

But yeah overall it would have been smarter.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Furism posted:

There is, but it's really annoying sub-par infiltration with lots of quick-reload. Also I believe if you kill too many of his guys you can't convince him peacefully. And the checks for the peaceful resolution aren't that easy to pass either, iirc.

But yeah overall it would have been smarter.

Killing most of his men dramatically reduces the chance of a peaceful outcome, but it can still be done with some very careful dialogue choices and two stat checks. I wiped out his camp and still managed to bring him around.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Theres a lot of stuff like that in games where killing hundreds of soldiers/guards who are just doing their jobs is morally fine but you can spare the man in charge and not doing so is Evil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Theres a lot of stuff like that in games where killing hundreds of soldiers/guards who are just doing their jobs is morally fine but you can spare the man in charge and not doing so is Evil.

Games... stories... movies...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*whispers gently into your ear* ... ludonarrative dissonance

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Similarly it's kind of a shame how taking the clever/peaceful option basically just translates into less content - like you'll get to avoid a boss fight, but cool boss fights is half the point of these games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pwnstar posted:

MikeJF posted:

Games... stories... movies...

And here we see how the concept of Class is baked into all capitalist media

If the player ran into some worker's collectives they would treat this sort of thing differently

Mechanical question:

Did the shift from a 50% to a 25% bonus for critical hits happen with Deadfire or was that something that got patched into the prior game at some point?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there no Soulbound guns?

*googles* drat. I want a cool blam blam.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Avalerion posted:

Similarly it's kind of a shame how taking the clever/peaceful option basically just translates into less content - like you'll get to avoid a boss fight, but cool boss fights is half the point of these games.

There's one White March quest where a guy wants you to steal some booze and you can snitch to the bartender and if you do the quest ends. If you do steal the booze there are several extra steps to the quest and it's pretty cool. But losing out on that kind of thing is a just punishment for snitching, frankly.

E: The ogre cave is another time when you can just talk to the leader after killing all the mooks and everything is fine. She even says she's pissed about you slaughtering her clan but she'll let it slide. I've never tried sneaking through it but it's probably easier to do than the Iron Flail camp because you can just solo it since there isn't a boss battle against giant monsters at the end

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 10, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
At least the Torn Bannermen leader tells you off for trying to make good with him after "slaughtering his loving men." He also doesn't believe they attacked you, but hey, he's on their side and I respect that.

You also don't have to kill all of the Iron Flail people if you aren't sneaky; you just need to kill enough of them to get to the Command Tent.

The Ogres in the White March give you access to a rather good merchant if you manage to not kill any Ogres on the way to the Matron.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 10, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I hope nerdy self-inserts weren’t a stretch goal for Deadfire. White March has been delightful on that front.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

And here we see how the concept of Class is baked into all capitalist media

I can see the sarcasm but holy poo poo I never considered it that way.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The White March makes me want to actually have a party member focus stealth in Deadfire.

It's hard to plan out the party skill distribution when everybody needs to take Explosives, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

I can see the sarcasm but holy poo poo I never considered it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Skaen cult in PoE1 is a really good example of that. I kill most of the members of this cult, burning them alive, bathing them in acid, bleeding them to death, etc. But at the end of the day having killed and ended this dude's life work by destroying his cult and 90% of his payroll, he'll let me go if I agree to let some girl go so she can stab her uncle-dad-husband or whatever.

I understand the game would be bad and boring if they didn't have dungeons full of generic mooks to brutalize. Video games just love to do that thing where I murder an entire village worth of soldiers, stab his close partner of 20 years and take everyone's poo poo, and then the boss says "wait!" and if you let him go you get good-boy points. I guess without that, you wouldn't be able to have fun killing enemies. Maybe they should pin the narrative to the dungeon by giving the boss an opportunity to explain himself prior to me going all Terminator on the place. It's weird killing all these guys to tell the boss "yeah I agree with you".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jokes posted:

The Skaen cult in PoE1 is a really good example of that. I kill most of the members of this cult, burning them alive, bathing them in acid, bleeding them to death, etc. But at the end of the day having killed and ended this dude's life work by destroying his cult and 90% of his payroll, he'll let me go if I agree to let some girl go so she can stab her uncle-dad-husband or whatever.

This sortof fits with the lore though since Skaen is all about poor people suicide bombing elites; the cult leader doesn't actually care about his cultists.

A better example I think is talking to Raedric after fighting your way into his hall. Like holy poo poo you kill a lot of folks if you come in through the front door.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In Raedrics case they are mostly mercs since nobody is loyal to him anymore besides with money.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Backer beta side quest spoiler:

You're sent to kill a Lagufaeth Broodmother - which is a tough fight but not as brutal as in PoE1 - but can make peace with her instead.
Her dialogue doesn't seem to change depending on whether you kill all Lagufaeth on the map before talking to her or sneak all the way.

But if you make peace with her you can use the now friendly Lagufaeth against a fight against a Delemgan and some Forest Lurker variants (which is a fight I often don't manage without KOs on level 6). Requires to bait the enemies into hitting the Lagufaeth with AoE attacks first but having some Redfins on your side isn't a bad thing.

Also, I'm playing a Lifegiver/Beckoner without the skeleton summons right now, since the skeletons are getting nerfed anyway. Just using the wurms. I still think the wurms are probably at least as overpowered as the skeletons to be honest. They'll often immediately hit something for about 80 damage combined (6 attacks, each usually doing something like 15-20 damage) as soon as they appear.
I also never realized they have 9 Penetration. I thought it was way less because they kept running into issues on Poko Kohara but apparently never actually checked.

Oh and after a kinda failed Paladin/Wizard build using Darcozzi/Illusionist I went back in with a Shieldbearer/vanilla Wizard. There really isn't a Wizard subclass giving you all the spells you'd want for a self-buff focused defensive build so base class it is now. And it's been going much better, thanks mostly to having Arcane Veil in addition to Paladin defenses:

Don't mind me casting a 6 second spell in front of one of the most dangerous single enemies in the beta being literally unhittable with my 153 Deflection. :smuggo:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A better example I think is talking to Raedric after fighting your way into his hall. Like holy poo poo you kill a lot of folks if you come in through the front door.

Although in the broader context of attacking his keep, he's already executing folk at a disturbing rate. But then if you don't kill him after all that...

On the other hand gently caress that later fampyr fight

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Dreylad posted:

Although in the broader context of attacking his keep, he's already executing folk at a disturbing rate. But then if you don't kill him after all that...

On the other hand gently caress that later fampyr fight

He also worships the God of Death fanatically and comes back to life as a paragon of the undead.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are those paladins of Berath the only in-game examples of paladins devoted to a specific deity?

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

The Crotch posted:

Are those paladins of Berath the only in-game examples of paladins devoted to a specific deity?

There's also the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr from Readceras.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
On the other hand, I kinda liked that when I met the Torn Bannerman leader and gave him the opportunity to end it peacefully, his response was "you're loving with me right? You're covered in the blood of my men."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Crotch posted:

I always thought it was weird that he came back from the dead like that, tbh. In two other instances, Berath is vocally opposed to anyone prolonging their lives against his will (yeah, I know that Raedric claimed Berath wanted him to live) and I always liked the mythologies or pseudo-mythologies where Death gods are vehemently opposed to undead, even if they can also allow/provide/govern resurrection. IIRC, he's classed as a vessel when he comes back like the other Fampyr, but I'm not sure where that really puts him in terms of that scale. It just clashes with Berath's favor quest and I can't quite square the two. Maybe Berath's just fickle as gently caress.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

As with all death guards, it's actually Raedric's own belief that keeps him in the Here. He just attributes it to Berath.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I kind of want to play a rogue now that I’m nearing the end and enjoying Devil. Is it basically impossible to do a PC rogue with a DPS focus in a similar way since you won’t have her DR? I’d look into riposte more but those seem to all need the WM1 baragdr’s barricade or whatever. I want a less standard-lawful good PC for Pillars 2 so I think I might throw some dudes in the pit too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Velius posted:

I kind of want to play a rogue now that I’m nearing the end and enjoying Devil. Is it basically impossible to do a PC rogue with a DPS focus in a similar way since you won’t have her DR? I’d look into riposte more but those seem to all need the WM1 baragdr’s barricade or whatever. I want a less standard-lawful good PC for Pillars 2 so I think I might throw some dudes in the pit too.

The Devil is in fact absolutely terrible as/for a rogue. It is to be honest the opposite; it is near impossible for the Devil to be as good as a PC rogue is.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Velius posted:

I kind of want to play a rogue now that I’m nearing the end and enjoying Devil. Is it basically impossible to do a PC rogue with a DPS focus in a similar way since you won’t have her DR?

The Devil's body has the same baseline resists and attack speed penalty as a standard breastplate, so you could just put a regular rogue into a standard breastplate to get those resists. Can't do anything about her disease/poison immunity, but those aren't particularly important anyways.

And you can do a DPS rogue in light armor p easily, you just have to pay a bit more attention to them and make sure they're not taking aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

As with all death guards, it's actually Raedric's own belief that keeps him in the Here. He just attributes it to Berath.
Got it. His ability to recognize that you have Berath's favor "as well" was what threw me off there, I think, though I suppose it still makes sense that people closely tied to death/undeath would be able to recognize other entities touched by them.

Its kind of a shame that Cipher/Priest is probably a terrible multiclass for melee classes under the new design, I wouldn't have minded that for roleplaying reasons on my first/main/canon/whatever character.

• Locked thread