Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Hempuli posted:

"Cognac grapes"

That is clearly Armagnac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Armagnac soaked grapes sound pretty good to be honest. Like leave them sitting for a few days or so. Kinda like eating cherries that have been soaked in Everclear only classier!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pookah posted:

It's seasonal, it's traditional, it's regional.

Whoever can pull the parsley out of the brown thing will be crowned King of Flavortown.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Armagnac soaked grapes sound pretty good to be honest. Like leave them sitting for a few days or so. Kinda like eating cherries that have been soaked in Everclear only classier!

My family makes something called Rum Pot in winter which is essentially a big pot with fruit soaked in rum that you let sit on a shelf for a long while. A while ago I found an actual (modern) recipe for the thing, and it was all:

"Like all home canning, you need to watch for contamination. If the finished product seems off in any way, do not eat any of it, spit out what was already in your mouth, throw the whole batch away, salt the earth, say your prayers and never speak of that batch again."

I imagine the risk of contamination is really low because of the high alcohol content, but after reading all that I'll certainly never try it. One more family tradition killed by science.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pidan posted:

My family makes something called Rum Pot in winter which is essentially a big pot with fruit soaked in rum that you let sit on a shelf for a long while. A while ago I found an actual (modern) recipe for the thing, and it was all:

"Like all home canning, you need to watch for contamination. If the finished product seems off in any way, do not eat any of it, spit out what was already in your mouth, throw the whole batch away, salt the earth, say your prayers and never speak of that batch again."

I imagine the risk of contamination is really low because of the high alcohol content, but after reading all that I'll certainly never try it. One more family tradition killed by science.

Dunno. My great-grandma had a fruitcake (that was kept in a tin) that I think was at least three years old (minimum) when I first tried it. She would just open the tin every so often, dump a bunch of rum over it, then close it up for some indefinite period of time. Never had a problem with it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Samizdata posted:

Dunno. My great-grandma had a fruitcake (that was kept in a tin) that I think was at least three years old (minimum) when I first tried it. She would just open the tin every so often, dump a bunch of rum over it, then close it up for some indefinite period of time. Never had a problem with it.

Yeah my aunt does this with a Guinness cake. It's apparently "not ready" until it's "matured" and about half a litre of alcohol has gone into it.

Good though.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Alcohol does inhibit botulinum growth past about 6% concentration https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12696684
Anything else is a lot less likely to kill you.
But with these things it is a good idea to do some research and find a safe recipe.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hempuli posted:

After seeing this I couldn't help but post another recipe from the (also 1992!) recipe book:

"Filled pineapple"

The small pastry pineapple definitely doesn't look appealing, but I'm having some trouble figuring out what this one is filled with.

Looks like a Waldorf salad, which I personally think is AFP, anyways.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tiggum posted:

Carrots and a rock?

Close.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Whoever can pull the parsley out of the brown thing will be crowned King of Flavortown.

No flavour here; it's traditional Christmas food from Cork: Spiced Beef!

From the name you might think it has a sort of rich, tender, spicy flavour like something from a Narnia book but it's actually corned beef that has been rolled in dry spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. You cook it by boiling it for about 6 months, and eating it is like chewing chunks of wood coated with boiled spices.

It wasn't something commonly eaten at Christmas in my part of the country, so when I first tried cooking it a few years ago, I genuinely thought I'd hosed it up because it was so nasty. Then I got to try it cooked by someone else and it was just as nasty.

Corkonians will probably hunt me down for saying it, but spiced beef looks and tastes like a lump of wood rolled in dirt.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pookah posted:

Close.

No flavour here; it's traditional Christmas food from Cork: Spiced Beef!

From the name you might think it has a sort of rich, tender, spicy flavour like something from a Narnia book but it's actually corned beef that has been rolled in dry spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. You cook it by boiling it for about 6 months, and eating it is like chewing chunks of wood coated with boiled spices.

It wasn't something commonly eaten at Christmas in my part of the country, so when I first tried cooking it a few years ago, I genuinely thought I'd hosed it up because it was so nasty. Then I got to try it cooked by someone else and it was just as nasty.

Corkonians will probably hunt me down for saying it, but spiced beef looks and tastes like a lump of wood rolled in dirt.

So it's just Spam, with the ham part replaced with beef and the preservative gelatin replaced with cinnamon. Speef.

I would eat speef. :randstare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RoboRodent posted:

What was this recipe? "Put grapes in bowl, pour cognac on top, serve"?

Brilliant idea!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zipperelli. posted:

Alright grandpa, that's enough story time for today. Go eat your prunes.

Who wants an prune whip? Prune whip? Prune whip? Three prune whips.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
E: Nevermind, I'll wait until after Christmas

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pastry of the Year posted:

would

:randstare:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My grandpappy always gave these to first-time customers at his dried fruit whip bar.

Helped turn 'em into regular customers :haw:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol :rip:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Worf, stop loving with the replicator, jesus christ

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Pookah posted:

Stealing this for my Pun War.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

pidan posted:

Science is for losers who are afraid to eat some booze-fruit, don't be a loser.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Scarodactyl posted:

Alcohol does inhibit botulinum growth past about 6% concentration https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12696684
Anything else is a lot less likely to kill you.
But with these things it is a good idea to do some research and find a safe recipe.

A little bit of botulism is an ok thing

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

left_unattended posted:

Stealing this for my Pun War.

Crush them like the Romans did the Carthaginians.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Pookah posted:

Crush them like the Romans did the Carthaginians.

It took me a minute, but that's loving atrocious. :getin:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

RoboRodent posted:

I've had cherries soaked in Everclear, so probably.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

left_unattended posted:

It took me a minute, but that's loving atrocious. :getin:

A good pun makes you laugh, a great pun causes actual physical pain :colbert: .

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

I've had cherries soaked in Everclear, so probably.

I'm making WW2 US Navy "torpedo juice" as an experiment with my friend. 160 proof grain alcohol used as torpedo fuel, filtered through a loaf of bread to remove the denaturing chemicals and mixed 3:1 with pineapple juice.

To make up for using actual drinkable alcohol instead of something dangerous, I'm using 190 proof Everclear instead.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Are there any AFP cookie recipes? My work is putting together a cookie cookbook based on employee suggestions, and I'd like to contribute something more ... interesting than the umpteenth version of buckeyes.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

wheatpuppy posted:

Are there any AFP cookie recipes? My work is putting together a cookie cookbook based on employee suggestions, and I'd like to contribute something more ... interesting than the umpteenth version of buckeyes.

There was that woman who made menstural blood cookies.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

wheatpuppy posted:

There's always the basic Christmas cookie where you take two thin cookies , cut some holes in the top one and stick them together with marmalade / jam / whatever the right word is. Conceptually they're quite good, but in practice the jam will spill out and be squeezed through the holes in a weird way and it will all be a sticky mess. You can also give them creepy bleeding faces:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pookah posted:

My grandpappy always gave these to first-time customers at his dried fruit whip bar.

You're a good person Pookah.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

Looking at it, pretty much. The ingredients are:
~1 cup water
~0,4 cups sugar
1 kilogram green grapes
3 cups cognac

The actual recipe is actually shorter than the forewords (which seems to discuss the Christian symbolism of wine?? Also: "One shouldn't enjoy too many cognac grapes at once, because they have punch like that of alcohol.")

Here're some more pics from the cookbook:

"Peachy lamb ragout"

I feel like these meals look less dull scanned :O

"Crepes a lá Susanna"

"Very wet crepes"

"Greenk lemon soup"

The soup itself looks fine but I'm extremely confused about the choice of various diafilm pictures & bright blue light as background props.

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Dec 11, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
That looks like rice soup, with croutons on the side.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's avgolemono

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EoinCannon posted:

It's avgolemono

One mol of soup

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wheatpuppy posted:

In elementary school we had a project where we were given recipes for chocolate and peanut butter cookies and told to create a recipe for chocolate-peanut butter cookies with a lesson on how baking requires certain certain parts of the ingredients and process to come out right, like how it needs flour, sugar, salt, and eggs to come out like a cookie. One team misinterpreted this such that when combining the recipe they used the sum of eggs and salt from both recipes and made the world's strangest baked custard.

So I guess my suggestion is just invent your own cookie recipe and its going to be AFP unless you are actually a baker and someone will probably make it because why would a cookbook lie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hempuli posted:

Looking at it, pretty much. The ingredients are:
~1 cup water
~0,4 cups sugar
1 kilogram green grapes
3 cups cognac

The actual recipe is actually shorter than the forewords (which seems to discuss the Christian symbolism of wine?? Also: "One shouldn't enjoy too many cognac grapes at once, because they have punch like that of alcohol.")
It's weird. When you soak these grapes in booze and then eat them you start to feel like you're getting drunk, almost like you were drinking alcohol or something - but that's crazy, because how could grapes make you drunk?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

zedprime posted:

So I guess my suggestion is just invent your own cookie recipe and its going to be AFP unless you are actually a baker and someone will probably make it because why would a cookbook lie.

This. Or gently caress up an existing one. Just double the salt, add a bunch of anise or fennel, sub grapefruit zest, use natural peanut butter, etc

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Tiggum posted:

It's weird. When you soak these grapes in booze and then eat them you start to feel like you're getting drunk, almost like you were drinking alcohol or something - but that's crazy, because how could grapes make you drunk?

"Kevin, are you drinking again?"

*around a mouthful of grapes* "Not technically!"

*laughtrack roars*

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

This is kapustnica, a traditional Christmas dish that my Slovak grandmother used to make, and which I will be making this year. It's a sauerkraut soup with prunes.

I figure Slovak food—aside from the desserts—has to be the most depressing cuisine in the world, especially if you don't have any warm holiday memories to associate with it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

But Polish kapusta (sauerkraut soup sans prunes) is good! Maybe prunes just ruin everything. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're a good person Pookah.

Aw shucks...