Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah there's no way Orville is as big as the Enterprise-E.

Also I'm really hoping that model kit comes out and really is at the correct scale, because then I could put it next to my Enterprise (and Arcadia!) models and have them all be to scale with each other. :3:

If they ever release the models, let me know. I probably couldn't afford them or find a place to put them but I would want to dream about getting them anyway. Someday.

Edit: I hope when they do introduce the Q-like being he actually is played by John De Lancie but they just call him something else, like what they've been doing in his latest appearances.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

evilmiera posted:

If they ever release the models, let me know. I probably couldn't afford them or find a place to put them but I would want to dream about getting them anyway. Someday.

Edit: I hope when they do introduce the Q-like being he actually is played by John De Lancie but they just call him something else, like what they've been doing in his latest appearances.

"R"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the Bond movies already did that joke.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

evilmiera posted:

Nah get Sir Patrick.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

sirpatstew playing a q would be amazing.

As long as he's already seen everything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dietrich posted:

sirpatstew playing a q would be amazing.

As long as he's already seen everything.

Him playing him as Avery Bullock would be better

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Baronjutter posted:

Orville is a lot bigger than I thought. Thought it was more Voyager sized, specially just the vibe I get from the size of the crew.

God the Enterprise E sucks. Just look at that dumb thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheScott2K posted:

God the Enterprise E sucks. Just look at that dumb thing.

It's ready to hit that 2D universe out of the box!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
She looked loving fantastic in First Contact, dammit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It makes me sad that ST starship design seemed to become embarrassed of the saucer. I love the saucer! Make it saucerer!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Q_res posted:

She looked loving fantastic in First Contact, dammit.

No she didn't, and it was dumb as hell that they had to destroy D in Generations. That really pissed me off because there was no reason for it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Cue someone posting that picture of the Galaxy class 1701-E...

And yes the E did look good with almost bleach white hull. And they shot a lot more from lower angles which helps the design a ton. Look at the flyby of the Defiant. Probably the best shot of the E in its entire existence, sure. But I think it's fair to say the more metallic finish and insistence on shooting it from above really did the E no favors. Shooting from above (or straight on from the side) really highlights the lack of "verticality" in the design.

But the D had lousy angles too. I remember a shot from behind in Generations that made it look straight up like a pregnant hippopotamus.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The E is "fine" and "ok" not terrible, but I do wish it had more neck.

Chalk it up to wartime designs being more like daggers and less like spoons

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The E looked sleeker than the D. I like pointy saucers, they made ships look sleeker and more formidable, conveying a sense of technological progress from the D era. Defiant is still the best ship though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Are the upper and lower bands of the Orville's engine stabilizers? I'd like to think it would careen wildly out of control with only the middle one running.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

The E looked sleeker than the D. I like pointy saucers, they made ships look sleeker and more formidable, conveying a sense of technological progress from the D era. Defiant is still the best ship though.

Truth. I still have old unpainted models of the Enterprise E and the Defiant hanging around somewhere from back when I did that kind of thing. Maybe I'll spraypaint them gold and put them on my desk or something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

Are the upper and lower bands of the Orville's engine stabilizers? I'd like to think it would careen wildly out of control with only the middle one running.

Well, actually there are three because :techno:

But actually because it looks cool.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There Bias Two posted:

Their shuttlecraft only have one band, so..?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Their shuttlecraft only have one band, so..?

so... they crash land a lot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's a hot take, all Star Trek ships are boring as gently caress and ship chat is the most boringest type of chat.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Here's a hot take, all Star Trek ships are boring as gently caress and ship chat is the most boringest type of chat.

Chat about something else then JEEZ

How do you think transporter pattern enhancers work?

edit: oops, Orville thread.

Was the cactus Bortus ate alive and what are the implications of being able to replicate living organisms?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Disagreed on all points!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked trek ships when they had some rules they had to follow, like nacelles being able to see each other. Even if your physics are pure fantasy, having some sort of consistent fantasy science to help dictate consistent designs makes for a much better universe. We see this a little bit in the Orville so far, although it's unknown if it's just for looks or there's a reason Union ships and shuttles all follow the same form.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Welcome to hiatus, motherfucker, only 9 months left :getin:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Was the cactus Bortus ate alive and what are the implications of being able to replicate living organisms?

Weren't the Star Trek replicators capable of creating vegetables too, aka plant life?

Maybe when they say "It can't replicate living organisms" they mean sentient ones.

TheScott2K posted:

Welcome to hiatus, motherfucker, only 9 months left :getin:

To be fair, most off topic chat is totally fine but everytime I see "Oh, well I like the E because it has blah blah blah nacells" my eyes just go glassy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They can replicate cacti because cacti don't have souls, duh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Weren't the Star Trek replicators capable of creating vegetables too, aka plant life?

You can replicate a "dead" apple and still eat it just fine. I don't think they could replicate plants or any other multicelluar thing that was still alive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheetah7071 posted:

They can replicate cacti because cacti don't have souls, duh

This is why you never see anyone replicating bowls of petunias

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Discovery did have a space whale, though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b52b4yORX6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjUQ4RtmLiU
:love:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

Or the middle and bottom blow out and they're stuck doing loops until someone can fix the other two.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

dumb videos of dumb star trek ships
:love:

I don't watch Star Trek to watch spaceships, I watch it to watch people talking to other people (sometimes while wearing alien makeup.)

I watch Star Wars for cool spaceships doing cool poo poo in space, Star Trek is a totally different beast. Cool Star Wars moments happen in space, cool Star Trek moments happen in a conference room or on the bridge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That doesn't mean the ships can't be cool. :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If I had the technical know-how, I'd just make YouTube videos of space ships I made up

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I don't watch Star Trek to watch spaceships

WampaLord posted:

I watch Star Wars
That's it, you're not invited to my birthday party.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

That doesn't mean the ships can't be cool. :colbert:

Sure, and if you think the Star Trek ships are cool, more power to you, but my mind doesn't even read them in that context. 99% of the time we see them it's in a boring establishing shot. I'm far more interested in what's going on inside the ships.

Cingulate posted:

That's it, you're not invited to my birthday party.

I'm telling Mom!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its cool when poo poo goes down and the saucer disconnects from the nacelles like a giant life raft

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord posted:

I don't watch Star Trek to watch spaceships, I watch it to watch people talking to other people (sometimes while wearing alien makeup.)

I watch Star Wars for cool spaceships doing cool poo poo in space, Star Trek is a totally different beast. Cool Star Wars moments happen in space, cool Star Trek moments happen in a conference room or on the bridge.

This is the correct way of watching both franchises. The worst is when this is forgotten by the show runners and we get the SW Prequels(boring talking + boring fighting) and the TNG movies(Patrick Stewart as action hero).

Make ST smart + interesting and SW dumb and explody.

Edit: This is another reason ST:D sucks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's really good that people recognize the best parts of Trek are the bits with people quoting Shakespeare or something at each other over Skype because for real, that poo poo owns

That said classic, thoughtful starship design is also one of the reasons why Star Trek was cool and why all the modern video-gamey bullshit they came up with starting in the mid 90's looks increasingly lovely as time passes

e: The E-E looked great in First Contact because a) It was the final "hero" starship to get a full sized filming miniature and most of the shots of the ship in the film were made using that and b) it was painted up with the same pearlecent/white aztec hull plating as the TMP refit

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Warship Enterprise seemed cool as hell when I was 12 and seeing First Contact for the first time but boy has it aged poorly. Really feels like the beginning of them missing the point.