Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ProjektorBoy posted:

So maybe it's just the increased activity I'm doing in-game from the DLC but does anyone feel like Blood Moons are happening more frequently? I'd typically see a blood moon perhaps once every other session, but as soon as I started hitting all the new DLC I'm getting it twice per session on my Wii U. And by "session" I'm talking 2-3 hours of playing.

Have you quit the game entirely in between these sessions? The frequent blood moons was evidence of a memory leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

encountered two blood moons during my DLC playthrough, which is more frequent than normal I suppose.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Have you quit the game entirely in between these sessions? The frequent blood moons was evidence of a memory leak.

I religiously hit Home and choose Close Software when I'm done playing.

I've had the game since March and I have encountered the random non-midnight Blood Moons but I figure in a game this complicated, the game is running into some error condition and needs to clear itself out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The game running out of memory is confirmed to instantly cause blood moons, as people found out when they hacked a debug mode into a wiiu emulated version and dropped too many NPCs in one area.

I have been seeing more hiccups in the "game pauses while the area loads in" sense (even before the motorcycle) so I would be unsurprised (but disappointed) if they rushed the content for the DLC for the awards thing and it's more unoptimized/leaky than the base game sans DLC now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I haven't noticed anything on the Wii U version. Though there is still a bug introduced in the first DLC pack that causes a near-guaranteed Emergency Blood Moon every time I visit a certain place in the Zora district. I also just had my first ever fall-through-the-map glitch, but it doesn't seem related to anything caused by the DLC (my horse simultaneously ran into and up on a rock, causing it to sink into the earth when it reared).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ProjektorBoy posted:

So maybe it's just the increased activity I'm doing in-game from the DLC but does anyone feel like Blood Moons are happening more frequently? I'd typically see a blood moon perhaps once every other session, but as soon as I started hitting all the new DLC I'm getting it twice per session on my Wii U. And by "session" I'm talking 2-3 hours of playing.

Generally any activity in which you disturb the natural order of things will result in increased blood moons. The easiest way to cause one is to go raid a whole bunch of monster camps in quick succession and you should see one rise the next night, or maybe the one after that. If you're just walking around Hyrule, occasionally lifting a rock or two, or just literally leaving the game idle you'll be waiting a long time for that moon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

considering most of the other armor in the game you need to build resources to purchase in game, while you pay a real world price for the dlc armor and more or less get it in game where all you have to do is track it down? Yeah, kind of.

I mean, don't people expect that content DLC in a game with gear is going to have new gear in it? Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC has new outfits, weapons, and mods. The outfits and weapons are even better versions of the weapons and outfits you can get in the main game, and the mods you can get are really good, too. It also increases the level cap by 10. But it's a content DLC, with new quests and monsters and areas, so I'd kind of expect new gear to be there, and to be useful, which is why it doesn't feel like pay-to-win.

Now, some of the Amiibo gear you can get in Breath of the Wild could be pushing it, like the Twilight Bow's ridiculous range. And because it's from Amiibo, there's no new game content surrounding it, either. But I wouldn't have any problem at all with the DLC armor being upgradable so that it's actually comparable with the stuff you get in the base game. Sure, the new sets have better set bonuses than base game armor, but it's explicitly endgame stuff--it should be really good. As it stands now I guess it's a self-imposed challenge or something, trade all your defense for an extra set bonus or two, but the balance really doesn't allow for that.

(This is all because Nintendo's completely subtractive defense system is very, very :psyduck: but that's a whole different issue)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How does the post game work in this? Can you go back to do side stuff after beating the main quest?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

marktheando posted:

How does the post game work in this? Can you go back to do side stuff after beating the main quest?

The game plops you back in front of the door to the final boss. No zelda game lets you play beyond the final boss I think

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

marktheando posted:

After the credits it loads an autosave from just before you entered the final boss, with a couple things unlocked now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just beat the game this weekend and I have to say I'm severely bummed by that. This, more than any other Zelda except maybe Majora's Mask, is so much about the world moreso than the actual concept of Ganon as a villain, so I would have liked to see the world reflect his defeat. Even without a postgame, many of the best games in the series do a satisfying world tour through the credits, showing you the people you've helped, the things that are doing better, etc. This has Zelda basically say "good job!" and chat with you a bit and that's it. Which is fine for that character but what about everyone else, it kinda feels like everyone really isn't impacted either way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sure do love hunting down smotherwing butterflies. They're pretty much the exact color of the ground so I regularly walk past them even with the sensor on, and you have to drink some kind of elixir to collect them easily since you can't have both fireproof and stealth equipment on simultaneously. Well, you can, but less effectively.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One thing I kind of don't like about the game is that absolutely everything you ever find was planned and placed by the ancient Sheikah, since I think that makes the world feel shallower from both an aesthetic and backstory perspective. Another thing I kind of don't like is that the four zones/dungeons are way too symmetrical in their structure and style. And unfortunately the latest DLC combines both those two things I don't like, by having you follow the exact same process in four zones and do a buttload of Sheikah trials.

The boss was kinda neat though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
More Sheikah trials, please.

Like, OK the game would have been cooler if [incredibly expensive development thing] but it was deservedly GOTY. I'll take "more of the same" DLC like this all day.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Sure do love hunting down smotherwing butterflies. They're pretty much the exact color of the ground so I regularly walk past them even with the sensor on, and you have to drink some kind of elixir to collect them easily since you can't have both fireproof and stealth equipment on simultaneously. Well, you can, but less effectively.

Beadle sells them at a couple of locations. I always use him to stock up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I never even bothered upgrading armor while going through the base game (gently caress if I could be bothered to grind beyond what was required to buy fire and ice-resistant gear. That was enough), so finding the new sets *was* a bit of an upgrade as far as I went

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just upgrading to rank 2 is enough really, that unlocks set bonuses. And it costs very little resources.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

More Sheikah trials, please.

After BOTW's 120 trials and the DLC ones I'm good never playing another Sheikah Trial again. When it comes to meaningless challenges that have no effect on the game world and reuse the same art assets over and over that type of stuff is best left to the fan community to handle, if given the proper tools to do so. But none of the trials have any backstory or advance the story of the game in anyway, all of the Strength ones are poo poo and the rewards in the challenges are pretty bad outside of the orbs. There should have at least been some different themes to the challenges at least, seeing the same blue environment over and over grows so old. At least we could have gotten some palette swaps, but nope, all blue all the time.

I probably wouldn't play through BOTW again just because the Shrines aren't worth revisiting, among other things. I really wish the game had a New Game+.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Just upgrading to rank 2 is enough really, that unlocks set bonuses. And it costs very little resources.

:same:

I think I upgraded the +attack armor and +stealth armor to 4 on my master mode playthrough for the sake of my sanity and not getting oneshot when I was running around with all stamina and 5 hearts or whatever, but everything else, gently caress that

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I upgraded everything to 4 on my first playthrough but now that my completionist urge is out of the way I'm just going to do the ones I like using the most. Somehow I'm still not tired of doing shrines though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spergatory posted:

Beadle sells them at a couple of locations. I always use him to stock up.

At Wetlands Stable and East Akkala Stable if you want specifics.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was surprised that so many neat mini games were built into the world, like goron golf and shield surfing, but they all rewarded just rupees or random items when in previous games they would have unlocked a piece of heart. Then 170 hours in I found one that DID unlock a shrine and I was kind of shocked.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

I was surprised that so many neat mini games were built into the world, like goron golf and shield surfing, but they all rewarded just rupees or random items when in previous games they would have unlocked a piece of heart. Then 170 hours in I found one that DID unlock a shrine and I was kind of shocked.

Honestly I appreciate the fact that the minigames weren't "required" for upgrades, like they were for heart pieces or quiver sizes in previous games, but it's a pretty fine line to walk between "so useful that you feel compelled to grit your teeth through a minigame you don't enjoy" and "the minigame doesn't reward anything that feels useful". I honestly don't know what a "better" reward would have been in this situation, in the context of the game as a whole. Weapons and shields would have likely fallen into the same issue as the shrine chests where they're useful for early game and "not even worth picking up" past that point. Maybe some of the more-rare upgrade materials/gems?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly I appreciate the fact that the minigames weren't "required" for upgrades, like they were for heart pieces or quiver sizes in previous games, but it's a pretty fine line to walk between "so useful that you feel compelled to grit your teeth through a minigame you don't enjoy" and "the minigame doesn't reward anything that feels useful". I honestly don't know what a "better" reward would have been in this situation, in the context of the game as a whole. Weapons and shields would have likely fallen into the same issue as the shrine chests where they're useful for early game and "not even worth picking up" past that point. Maybe some of the more-rare upgrade materials/gems?

I don't see why some of the armour pieces couldn't be found in more than one place. You could always sell the extra if you already had it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I love this stupid motorcycle

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/VariableZestyFeline

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ugh just got a Switch and why can't I transfer my wii-u save file over :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ugh just got a Switch and why can't I transfer my wii-u save file over :(

My god the list of reasons is like a list of Korok seeds

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

would just be nice 's all

but Switch folks cannot even back up their saves yet period lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sadly, Nintendo has not yet tapped into The Power of the Cloud

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Just played the Hidden Stairway shrine in the DLC. That's definitely my favorite puzzle in the whole game now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Inferior Third Season posted:

Just played the Hidden Stairway shrine in the DLC. That's definitely my favorite puzzle in the whole game now.

just watched a video and I totally solved that puzzle wrong, lol
I used magnesis, threw one of the blocks upward on its track, quickly froze it with stasis before it fell, and then put a cryo block under it while it was frozen. Then I put the small block on top of that one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The great thing is that there IS no wrong way.

Cheese it with a spicy pepper updraft if you want. Be the hero!

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Augus posted:

I used magnesis, threw one of the blocks upward on its track, quickly froze it with stasis before it fell, and then put a cryo block under it while it was frozen. Then I put the small block on top of that one

lol there’s a right way? I think that shrine has at least 6 possibilities and all of them feel rewarding.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think spicy pepper updrafts work in shrines. I tried it when I was being dumb with the dungeon earlier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Augus posted:

lol that's exactly what I did, by the time I finished I felt like a loving genius

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

that's exactly how I solved that one and I felt like a loving hero, I was :thunk:ing about it for a while and still haven't looked up any other ways to solve it because goddamnit I'm proud of myself for that one :colbert:

gently caress literally every gyro control puzzle, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Balloons. I wasn't fast enough to magnesis it up and then stasising it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I felt like anything involving throwing something with a magnet and catching it with stasis probably isn't an intended solution, though viable. I think my solution involved an ice pillar on both sides, then using the metal box to lift one of the sides up, then letting the upper side pin the box in place against the lower side

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Hey, some reward horse armor which is cool. Cosmetic stuff like that is a neat reward, and they could have done some more with your house in Hateno and let some minigames give you furniture or trophies for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I love botw - I'd maybe call it one of my favorite games of all time - but all of the content in both DLCs is kinda bullshit. I'm a Very Skilled Gamer and plowed through it without much trouble, but it's just not much fun and feels like a chore. I hope they stop making stuff for this game and instead work furiously on building an even bigger and cooler map for the inevitable sequel that uses the same engine.