Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

I only just noticed that dorky little dance Nia does during specials :3:

With jp voices on she also goes nyanyanyanyanya during specials :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Please tell me a story Blade comes with Fortitude because I see that skill check loving everywhere and the gacha has not been kind

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Zore posted:

Thats dumb considering we get two explicit party member hook ups in XC1's endgame/epilogue.

And uh yeah, the Pyra/Rex stuff goes somewhere

Into the ground? I don't like how you phrased that haha.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

U-DO Burger posted:

Please tell me a story Blade comes with Fortitude because I see that skill check loving everywhere and the gacha has not been kind

Yes. Poppi's second form

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Yes. Poppi's second form

Also Vess, which is a guaranteed rare blade if you finish her quest.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chaosfirev posted:

Enlighten me?

Just the whole Shulk/Melia/Fiora thing

Zore posted:

Thats dumb considering we get two explicit party member hook ups in XC1's endgame/epilogue.

I might be misremembering then, it's been a while.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

U-DO Burger posted:

Pretty sure beastly core man has fortitude and you get him as plot progression

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

Shulk/Fiora and Reyn/Sharla are couples at the end of the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Melia explicitly drops the Shulk thing before the ending and the other two are hanging out at the end

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Pretty sure beastly core man has fortitude and you get him as plot progression

Beastly core has superstrength, which is not the same thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think X only had the prone couple you help get married, though I recall it being pretty heavily implied that your character may have had a relationship with Elma before the events of the game. Also Irina totally had a crush on Elma.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Game is steadily growing on me. Gameplay got way smoother with 3 blades and Arts cancelling into themselves.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just fought Zeke for the first time and getting to the next area is a real pain. Start off fighting three lizardmen, aggro two more and then aggro the big tail stomper guy and die while trying to hit the plot button. I guess I just need to grind out a few more levels to get through the fights.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Am I weird for thinking that X looks better than XC2? It almost seems like the draw distances in X is better than XC2. Also holy poo poo does XC2 look TERRIBLE in handheld mode. I really hope they can patch in a resolution fix because it's a blurry mess.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I'm about 5 hours in and man this game is weird right? Impulse bought it cause I liked X (Wii U) and it slowly dawned on me that this is not the same type of game at all.

Crafted my first blade last night though, gonna stick with it and see where this slice of life anime universe takes me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

I only just noticed that dorky little dance Nia does during specials :3:

I like poppi's idle animation too

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Xc2 is mountains better in handheld mode than xbx. You just have to zoom in a bit more to watch for your aa cancels.

5 just said ‘I’m really feeling it’ in combat. Love it.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Also holy poo poo does XC2 look TERRIBLE in handheld mode. I really hope they can patch in a resolution fix because it's a blurry mess.

There's a performance analysis out on youtube where they found the dynamic resolution in handheld mode routinely goes down to like 200p. Yeah they need to patch that poo poo

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

I feel dumb for never playing through xenoblade chronicles. I bought it when it first came out since I collected video games at the time and I knew if you could only get it by pre-ordering it then it would be worth something in the future.

That and The Last Story are the two games I got that I got about 10 hours into then just stopped.

I'll probably start going through it after XC2?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Chaosfirev posted:

I'll probably start going through it after XC2?

Go through both, I loved the Last Story mostly for the characters.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

I do remember liking it a lot, I don't remember why I didn't finish it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Chaosfirev posted:

I do remember liking it a lot, I don't remember why I didn't finish it.

It stalls out badly several times. I stopped playing too and I was getting close to the end game

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Last story is good but the FPS tanks constantly.

Also I used my first overcharge yesterday swapping Godfrey off Nia to Four. I then pulled Gorg and Floren on four. Is floren good on nia? He’s useless in four but i don’t wanna burn all my overdrives

I’ve had that big ball dude on nia forever and he sucks until you can get in that warehouse to unlock his rank 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Overbite posted:

Last story is good but the FPS tanks constantly.

Also I used my first overcharge yesterday swapping Godfrey off Nia to Four. I then pulled Gorg and Floren on four. Is floren good on nia? He’s useless in four but i don’t wanna burn all my overdrives

I’ve had that big ball dude on nia forever and he sucks until you can get in that warehouse to unlock his rank 2

Once you can get into that warehouse though you can instantly max every slot on the guy by just buying food which is pretty rad

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This game is probably the hottest mess of schizophrenic design decisions I have ever seen in many years :psyduck:
  • Here's where you go for the next story mission! Watch out for the monsters that are between 2x and 5x your level that we've littered the path with
  • You should explore! Except go shove your fist up your rear end and come back in 20 hours because literally nothing you can find is accessible without field skills not available to you until midgame after you've ground out some units
  • Buy out all of the shops to get their deeds! Except also come back in 20 hours before you bother to do this because not a single shop outside of the tutorial example will sell you a deed before you unlock the 4th city
  • Gachapon! And because we really hate you, it autosaves on your only save slot when you roll on it. And "rare" cores can still give you common results, increasingly more often because we have a finite amount of rares but infinite commons and removing rares just shifts your rates downward
  • Character-restrictions on the gachapon, with a hyper limited resource to transfer blades to other characters. Also, here's a late-stage trap for you to fall in to, hope you didn't give Rex any of the rare blades!!
  • Want to make your blades better at doing poo poo? Here's the world's most arbitrary laundry list of chores, get to it!
  • Tora isn't a real driver so he can't have any gacha blades. Instead, grind out our weird 8bit arcade game for hours on end to build out his unique snowflake blade characters. Who are fully customizeable!! except not too customizeble because you still absolutely need a tank and the healer options aren't especially reliable.
  • Speaking of tanks and healers, here's a new character for you to play with early on! Except his role is wrong and you can't actually slot him into the party without completing loving your ability to fight anything.
  • Cooking! :lol: don't waste your time (and you would be wasting a lot of time to make some of these recipes), just go to the nearest 7-eleven and buy some doughnuts because those give you arts regen and has infinitely more value than any other kind of buff you can give yourself.
  • We don't want you running around like a spaz during combat so you can't autoattack while moving, but this resets your autoattack animation completely. Wait, isn't that giving me more arts regen than sitting around waiting for the full combo? :thunk: (in fairness this one is more of a player-optimal-order problem than a core design issue, but lol)

I could probably keep going but holy poo poo does this game feel like everyone had ~great ideas~ about features and whoever was in charge of making sure they all were congruent with gameplay decided to just take a vacation. It's a good thing that once you get past chapter 3, the combat is a lot of fun, and feels like the only thing they DID nail down properly.

Also, as somebody playing exclusively handheld, the game is fine. It stutters when loading in especially intensive areas, but nothing too egregious.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Paths being littered with enemies 50 levels above you is a plus in my book. Exploring large maps just isn't right for me without those "OH gently caress IT SAW ME AHHHHHH" moments

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The worst thing about the combat is that it's extremely active between watching the auto-attack cancel moments and QTEs that I can't watch the actual attack animations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hell, your list is correct and didn't even mention the map, impressive

Tae posted:

The worst thing about the combat is that it's extremely active between watching the auto-attack cancel moments and QTEs that I can't watch the actual attack animations.

worst thing about combat is that your walkspeed with weapon unsheathed is so loving slow you won't get to the health pots in time and they vanish. also love when they fly up in the air and land on an elevated thing I can't reach. why the gently caress did they make health pots a thing in this game, just give me regular healing, jesus.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Oh yeah, items disappearing is loving great when you get into protracted fights and barely have enough time to collect things while still trying to kill enemies.

As far as the map is concerned, I've never played a vertical-space intensive game that didn't have a 100% completely useless map, so that one is just a given.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Enemies a billion levels stronger than you is a core part of the Xenoblade experience and gently caress you if you don't like it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Terper posted:

Enemies a billion levels stronger than you is a core part of the Xenoblade experience and gently caress you if you don't like it.

Chronicles X didn't make it a massive chore to navigate your way around them, even before you unlock the Skell. :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DLC Inc posted:

worst thing about combat is that your walkspeed with weapon unsheathed is so loving slow you won't get to the health pots in time and they vanish. also love when they fly up in the air and land on an elevated thing I can't reach. why the gently caress did they make health pots a thing in this game, just give me regular healing, jesus.

Regular healing is a thing, though. The Potions are basically healing for the DPS to use in emergency.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my journey to the factory in chapter 4 was 90% running from level 80 monsters while cursing up a storm and it owned

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, fortunately you can outrun most of them in that area. Speaking of the factory, it was the only dungeon so far that I actively disliked. It was so confusing, and some of those loving tirkin would run around, often bringing more into the fight (and Tora was out of the party at the time, so multiple enemies often meant death). Speaking of running around, I really hate enemies that move around, because it causes Rex's 3-hit combos to stop and the enemies often move faster than Rex with his weapon out.

So I'm near the end of Chapter 5 I think, and this is possibly the most fun JRPG I've ever played (with the possible exception of Persona 5). Like, the original Xenoblade Chronicles had better characters (and better English voice acting - I'm using the JP voices for this one), but this one has much better pacing and more fun gameplay. The original felt like bursts of plot in between long segments of traversing distances, but this one feels like it never lets you go too long without some sort of plot-related events. The side quests are also far better, and are usually more involved than "kill some things/talk to some people" and often involve multiple steps. Regarding gameplay, I really like the whole blade collection mechanic, and it's fun to try out different blades and see how their specific affinity charts affect things. It's also neat how many/most rare blades have some sort of side quest where they get to actually show up and do things (sometimes alternatively a side quest where you acquire them). Plot-wise, it's definitely "anime," but in a way that I still find really entertaining. Rex is pretty good as far as "fairly stereotypical shounen protagonists" go. I generally eat up the sort of melodrama present in certain plot elements like the whole "blades lose their memories when their owners die" thing (like that one Vess side quest).

Probably my biggest gripe gameplay-wise (aside from the mechanical stuff others have mentioned, like having to view affinity charts when they update) is confusion over the efficacy of different aux cores and accessories. I'll often find myself in situations where I'm not sure whether (for example) it's more useful to increase auto-attack aggro by X%, increase arts aggro by Y%, or increase damage by Z% (all of which would increase aggro by varying amounts). How does increasing Special #2's damage by X% compare with some other damage-boosting accessory/core? It's all very confusing, and I've been sticking to really simple cores like "Increase crit chance," "Increase health," etc. I guess I might want to use some of the more specialized ones if I were wanting to fight a specific difficult boss, but I don't really anticipate that happening until the end-game (which begs the question of what practical use stuff like "Water Defense II" aux cores have).

edit: By the way, I continue to be baffled by the name changes. So many of these names are Western-sounding to begin with, and then randomly changed to some other Western-sounding thing. Like, I think Indol is "Arcadia" in the Japanese, and I have no clue why that wouldn't be an okay name. It's also a shame how a lot of the blades have names that are references of some sort, which are then lose in pseudo-translation.

Tae posted:

Regular healing is a thing, though. The Potions are basically healing for the DPS to use in emergency.

A bunch (if not most?) healer blades also have affinity chart abilities that make them spit out potions when they attack and stuff. I think potions might actually make up the bulk of healing done? Or at least a lot of it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

U-DO Burger posted:

Paths being littered with enemies 50 levels above you is a plus in my book. Exploring large maps just isn't right for me without those "OH gently caress IT SAW ME AHHHHHH" moments

Yeah but the higher level enemies seem hyper aggro and none have no indication as to which enemies are docile and which to avoid. XC1 and XCX both were great about giving clues as to which enemies it was okay to hang out with and which to skirt around.

Not only does XB2 not do this, but it seems higher enemies more freely will gently caress you up during random battles. Their aggro meter is jacked up to 11 and the lack of well placed fast travel markers makes trekking back to where you were a huge pain in the rear end.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ytlaya posted:

It's all very confusing, and I've been sticking to really simple cores like "Increase crit chance," "Increase health," etc. I guess I might want to use some of the more specialized ones if I were wanting to fight a specific difficult boss, but I don't really anticipate that happening until the end-game (which begs the question of what practical use stuff like "Water Defense II" aux cores have).
The practical use they have is that they are gold drops that you also sell to get the money so they're better for your development ranking.

And no, that wasn't intentional. They're just the obligatory garbage trash poo poo from a butt that better developers have figured out you don't need to have in your drat game.

This game is the weirdest mix of super fun and clearly-not-playtested-even-once.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Emalde posted:

Chronicles X didn't make it a massive chore to navigate your way around them, even before you unlock the Skell. :shrug:

I distinctly remember some level 50 rear end in a top hat in the jungle that loved running around and wrecking poo poo at all times.

And the magic happens when Lin accidentally aggros everything in a mile radius.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arts regen doesn't stop while you're autoattacking, though.

DLC Inc posted:

There is regular healing if you use certain healing blades!

I played most of the game with the knuckles, which rely the most on potions for healing. You gotta pick the potions up while you're doing a special and can run at full speed. It's the worst to fight on areas where the potions drop behind the monster or consistently fall into pits.

At a certain point in the game you just give up on potions for healing, they're bonus HP but not much else. First there's the absurdly strong healing plot blade (it has regular healing which almost fully regens your party HP with a short cooldown). If you need another blade to use in between blade switch cooldowns you can use the b-balls which have pretty good healing as well.

The b-ball healing art is almost a regular heal but it relies on the damage you deal (which means that the most you spec for damage, the more you heal). Floren has pretty good abilities that boost your healing and fully heals the party when the driver dies, which is pretty good to avoid wipes.

Healer blade specials are also regular healing with no potion shenanigans. Nim is possibly the blade with the best healing specials in the game, though. I tanked a lot of hard fights by simply cancelling the 3 arts and immediately using her level 1 special.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Yeah but the higher level enemies seem hyper aggro and none have no indication as to which enemies are docile and which to avoid. XC1 and XCX both were great about giving clues as to which enemies it was okay to hang out with and which to skirt around.

Not only does XB2 not do this, but it seems higher enemies more freely will gently caress you up during random battles. Their aggro meter is jacked up to 11 and the lack of well placed fast travel markers makes trekking back to where you were a huge pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I have no idea why they didn't somehow indicate which enemies are aggro. You can sometimes guess (stuff like obvious grazing plant-eaters generally don't aggro), but usually it's just luck. Fortunately, unless you're dealing with things way higher level, you can generally just keep running without any risk of getting killed (or often even hit).

Dunno what you mean about the fast travel markers, though. I've generally found them to be pretty reasonably positioned, though you sometimes have to find the right ones first.

edit: Do other party members take advantage of stuff like cancelling driver arts? Because if they don't, it seems like the optimal role to have the player control for longer fights would be healer, since driver art cancels allow you to use arts at a much higher rate. You can use them almost non-stop as you switch between blades. If you had 3 blades with a healing art, you'd be popping out healing super fast.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've hit every plot-required field skill check so far (they start in chapter 7 for those that read reviewer's complaints) but I've been sending random blades on merc missions and even with playing blade tetris I have a bad feeling I'm going to hit a field skill test I can't pass because I was managing my common blades willy nilly without paying attention to whether their field skills are leveled up or not

For some reason this hasn't gripped me as much as XC1 despite being the better game