Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

These borders seem unusually huge and oddly shaped.

I'd be very interested in a Civ IV LP, would join a hotseat game but I haven't made it though a single player Civ IV game in years, so I'll have to pass on this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843214

Here you go.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Davincie posted:

and here's the polders

polders look cool but they seem too powerful not to have some kind of cross-civ water improvement considering that water tiles are completely worthless for other civs

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Davincie posted:

they showed her on a gossip program of all places. they got quite a bit wrong, like the release date and they thought it was a console game, but thats to be expected

her ability is radio orange after the resistance radio she operated in london

and here's the polders

personally im glad to finally get a leader that isn't william of orange but shes a bit ... too fat and orange for me. the umbrella is weird too, not exactly something she was known for (although one PM did always bring an umbrella when meeting with her to hide from her attacks)

She should be riding her bicycle.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Obviously I doubt they can be built willy-nilly, and their's no adjacency penalty. Perhaps they can only be built on tiles that have 3+ land tiles adjacent?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 10, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it looks like they can be built pretty much anywhere and, also like farms, they get adjacency bonuses from themselves :psyduck:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm a little surprised the Dutch keep getting in the game. Nothing wrong with them, just that it's not big enough that you'd think it'd warrant entry into every game.

I'd really like to see more civs that can utilize less popular types of terrain (tundra, snow, for instance). Argentina would be great and could utilize mountains in some way. There has to be some way of doing The Inuit which would be great for snow and tundra. Same if they decided to make a Canadian or Finnish one. Basically I like playing as Russia because they are so unique and it'd be cool to have another civ that can really work those lovely tiles.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Niwrad posted:

I'm a little surprised the Dutch keep getting in the game. Nothing wrong with them, just that it's not big enough that you'd think it'd warrant entry into every game.

I'd really like to see more civs that can utilize less popular types of terrain (tundra, snow, for instance). Argentina would be great and could utilize mountains in some way. There has to be some way of doing The Inuit which would be great for snow and tundra. Same if they decided to make a Canadian or Finnish one. Basically I like playing as Russia because they are so unique and it'd be cool to have another civ that can really work those lovely tiles.

The Dutch were kind of a big deal during the age of colonialism, it's not really surprising that they keep making appearances. They initially founded a small town known today as New York for example.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bluff Buster posted:

Interested.

Civ 4 is one of those games that I really like to see others report on, but I'm not terribly good at it myself. I get way too stressed out thinking about the smaller details.
Same (and yeah, interested).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Niwrad posted:

Well, they were able to pretty much bleed the greatest empire in the world dry in the Eighty Years War. They were very much a big deal.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Niwrad posted:

Well, obviously you'd want to include the largest Muslim country of the early 1900s

if you're confused look up the Dutch East Indies - on a serious note, they were a major player in the 17th and 18th centuries between owning Belgium and being a major colonial force

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
They were also unusual in WW2 in that their torpedoes actually worked

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

They were also unusual in WW2 in that their torpedoes actually worked

don't give them any ideas.

combat submersible: when attacking, 50% chance to hit, 40% chance to miss, 10% chance to self destruct
submäärener (UU): works as a modern submarine unit

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Niwrad posted:

I kind of wished the Seventeen Provinces would be added instead. Nothing wrong with the Dutch, but the Seventeen Provinces could perhaps show off another era of that civilization than the post-Spanish colonial era. Maybe something involving sheep (with all the flemish wool) and livestock bonuses or some land-based gold. Maybe this could also have a UU that's more Flemish (medieval upgrade for swordsmen that's a cheap militia or something) or some Burgundy influences. Extra gold and production for livestock, sheep or horses in cities that also have a polder? Something like that.

The different leaders mechanic they have going could show this off nicely though. Wilhelmina for 1600 and later Amsterdam-based Netherlands, with Duke John or something with Mechelen for the Brabant-based medieval civilization. Of course this would require Firaxis to put some thought into how to represent different eras or cultures of a civilization with different strengths.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does anyone win a religious victory? I have no idea how to undo an entrenched religion with inquisitors running around much less 5.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baron Porkface posted:

How does anyone win a religious victory? I have no idea how to undo an entrenched religion with inquisitors running around much less 5.

you need to get the AI to do your work for you. spread your religion to all the lesser civs and be surprised when you suddenly win twenty turns later. AI players with your religion will destroy the enemies' religions with virus mode missionary production, the only way the AI knows how to play

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Kill said inquisitors and every city near them will flip by the time you're done nailing them to a cross.

Religious combat is the way once you hit around the Industrial era, for the civs that are smart enough to have a good religious defense.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Niwrad posted:

water tiles are so unbelievably bad in Civ VI that the Dutch are one of those civs

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Fryhtaning posted:

Kill said inquisitors and every city near them will flip by the time you're done nailing them to a cross.

Religious combat is the way once you hit around the Industrial era, for the civs that are smart enough to have a good religious defense.

But you cant kill inquisitors when they are in the city. And what does the industrial era have to do with religious combat?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

You can't. They can turn out inquisitors faster than you can kill them later in the game.

Only strategy I've found is going to war with them and converting their cities during that. Even then it's a slog since inquisitors are too cheap and too overpowered.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

And what does the industrial era have to do with religious combat?

Nothing specifically. Just spitballing about when the religious civs start becoming deeply entrenched in their religion and religious defense.

I've never seen inquisitors just parked in the cities and not at least roaming around in between turns. With a squad of a few apostles and a guru you can go on a seek and destroy mission and do more damage than those apostles could have done on their own. Or if you have plenty of faith at your disposal, keep the apostles that get the good promotions for spreading (Proselytizer, Translator, maybe Pilgrim) in your territory as defense and amass the rest into the battle squad. Once you've thinned the herd with the battle squad, which will cause all the cities nearby to lose a ton of influence in their own religion while gaining some of yours, start sending the rest in to crush the resistance. I've done this many times, even when I never intended to win by religious victory in the first place.

You should also be using Theocracy with Religious Orders for an additional +10 in religious combat. It doesn't seem like much, but it can tip the scales from a major loss to a major victory.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The official reveal of the Netherlands.
Netherlands
Queen Wilhemina

Civ ability: Grote Rivieren- Major adjacency bonus for Campuses, Theater Squares, and Industrial Zones next ot a river. Culture bomb adjacent tiles when completing a Harbor.
Civ unique improvement: Polder - Built on Coastal tiles, it provides Food, Production, and Housing; bonuses increase through technology.
Civ unique unit: De Zeven Provincien - Warship with additional range and combat bonus, receives an extra combat bonus when attacking defensible districts.
Leader unique ability: - Radio Oranje- Your Trade Routes to your own cities provides +1 Identity per turn for the starting City. Trade Routes to foreign cities or from foreign cities provide +1 Culture to you.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Not bad!

I like all these different ways of culture bombing in Civ6.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Not bad!

I like all these different ways of culture bombing in Civ6.

Culture bombs and city flipping, they're MCGA

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Netherlands looks like a pretty decent, well-rounded (lol) civ, I'm excited, though I really hope they can improve the game's seafaring strategy in the expansion. I really enjoy water maps and naval units, just the AI gets so goddamn dumb on those kinds of maps.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Fryhtaning posted:

Culture bombs and city flipping, they're MCGA

Culture bombs are multi-colored graphics arrays?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Make... Civ Great Again?

:sad:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They unveiled a new painting of Prince Philip. I thought it looked too much like Civ5.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 12, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Echo Chamber posted:

The unveiled a new painting of Prince Philip. I thought it looked too much like Civ5.

*playing as Australia, you meet Prince Philip*

"Are you still chucking spears at each other?"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*playing as Australia, you meet Prince Philip*

"Are you still chucking spears at each other?"
Australia replies: We like the cut of your jib Philip! Have a knighthood!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

So do the polders let you build land bridges?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It looks like the tiles are still considered to be water; the work boats remain work boats after the improvement.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I like how her unique ability is something trade routes should've already been doing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like The Netherlands as a colony power in this game. The loyalty with trade route ability will allow you set up cities in far away places, and grow them with a trade route while keeping them from flipping. The UU will help you take over Indonesian/archipelago type nations, and the polder will give you a couple of extra tiles to work once you take over their island.

Too bad that the map script will still suck and navies still won't matter.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 13, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Would the Byzant that's playing me in Civ 5 GMR PM me please, for some reason the other goon "byzant" isn't you. :)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Just watched the Rise and Fall live stream, and I'm pretty underwhelmed. The point where I really lost respect for it was when they transitioned from the Medieval age to a Renaissance golden age, and one of the special golden age policies they could select gave +4 great prophet points. The streamers mentions that those great prophet points are for founding a religion if you don't already have one. This shows that great prophet points still do nothing after a great prophet is created, yet are still accumulated and new means to generate them still exist past the point where they could ever be useful. The devs still don't realize that the timing for getting religions is not what they think it is. Every religion will be found on nearly every difficulty level by the Renaissance age.

Slop game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe all the professionals quit so they only have amateurs left. :iiam:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

At least something that specific and simple is pretty easy to fix with a mod.

Hell, there's certainly a way to make GPP-generating buildings do something else after all religions have been founded... maybe I should get on that some time.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

At least something that specific and simple is pretty easy to fix with a mod.

Hell, there's certainly a way to make GPP-generating buildings do something else after all religions have been founded... maybe I should get on that some time.

I wish they had something like "Theologians" who you could purchase with GPP after unlocking a Great Prophet, and let them have effects in the same vein that Great Scientists/Engineers/Merchants have. Like they could give you a large bunch of faith for each adjacent tundra, or auto convert 1 city regardless of population, or Shrines/Temples/Religious buildings give +10 tourism, or add a 5th belief to your religion from any category. There's so many things you could do with these points, it really is disappointing they haven't addressed this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Madmarker posted:

I wish they had something like "Theologians" who you could purchase with GPP after unlocking a Great Prophet, and let them have effects in the same vein that Great Scientists/Engineers/Merchants have. Like they could give you a large bunch of faith for each adjacent tundra, or auto convert 1 city regardless of population, or Shrines/Temples/Religious buildings give +10 tourism, or add a 5th belief to your religion from any category. There's so many things you could do with these points, it really is disappointing they haven't addressed this issue.

There is a mod that does this exactly. The only problem is that it's a mod, and will break after every official update. It also slows the game down considerably since mods don't have access to the source code, and have to be implemented in very inefficient ways.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 14, 2017