Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

It occurs to me I'm not really sure what caused the Rift in the first place. Corypheus? A bunch of very upset wizzards? Solas' unbridled superiority complex being backed up for so long without anyone to lord over?

The Orb had a massive amount of energy that it had collected over centuries of being dormant. Unlocking it and releasing that dormant energy blew the Temple up and ripped the Veil wide open.

What I don't get is what Solas had expected to happen if the Inquisitor hadn't intervened. He said his plan was for Cory to die in the explosion and then for him to reclaim the orb but the Inky received the anchor from the orb and was therefore able to survive the resulting explosion. Wouldn't it stand to reason then that if Cory had gotten the mark the way he'd intended that he'd have survived the explosion too?

Also since it seems likely that the Ancient Elves created the Blight then shouldn't Solas be well aware of its capabilities and assume Cory might know about the immortality trick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Even with the mark the Inquisitor would have died if not for the Divine yanking them out of the fade.

The nightmare dude seemed to be waiting to gobble up anyone that fell into the fade and survived. Maybe he was working for Solas and not Cory - that'd make a lot of sense.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Why was Solas sleeping for millennia and what made him wake up?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

WarpDogs posted:

The nightmare dude seemed to be waiting to gobble up anyone that fell into the fade and survived. Maybe he was working for Solas and not Cory - that'd make a lot of sense.

If you bring Solas into the Fade, he and Nighty have an exchange in Elvish that isn't translated - not in game, and apparently not by the DA community. I wonder what they said?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Someone did and the only thing I remember was it taunting him and asking him what he has to be proud about

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Why was Solas sleeping for millennia and what made him wake up?

That isn't clear. I think there's two likely reasons. #1, creating the veil probably took a lot out of him. He was also probably pretty depressed and upset about having to do it. Keep in mind that creating the veil essentially destroyed his people and their way of life, and he knew that would happen. Countless marvels depending on the Fade were instantly ruined when he put up the veil. Possibly this also cost his people their immortality. But it was either do that or have them continue to destroy the world and everyone in it. So he puts himself to sleep after loving over the status quo and decides he'll wake up much later to see how it all turned out. And obviously when he wakes up and sees just how far his people have fallen and how hosed up the world is he resolves to undo what he did.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shugojin posted:

Someone did and the only thing I remember was it taunting him and asking him what he has to be proud about

Cory also taunts him that he's destined to fail, prompting Solas to retort that nothing is inevitable.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
300 hours in this game and I finally managed to ignore the loving Fallow Mire and Forbidden Oasis pre-Skyhold. I've always overcompensated but I realise now how much I hate those maps. This is my 4th inquisitor and hopefully I won't abandon this one like I did the 3rd. Female dalish mage.

Only one thing has given me a regret, and that's looking at Sera's speciality. I don't think I ever had more fun than as a Tempest. I've really warmed to her this time round at last so I could just play as her a bit, I guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do think Tempest is the most fun you'll have in actually playing DAI, one way or another.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Shugojin posted:

Solas' orb had the power over the Veil because he presumably used it to make the drat thing in the first place.

I think Corypheus made just a big hole because he didn't really know what the hell he was doing with it.

Part of me really enjoys the idea of Cory, Sampson, and Calpurnia as super-sentai type villains that for all their posturing ultimately don’t quite know what’s really going on by the time the “real” villain shows up mid-season (potentially causing them to have to help the heroes during the Christmas episode).

There’s one of those haunted walkthrough redrawn fanart of them where Calpurnia is utterly unimpressed while the guys are scared out of their minds. Kind of like that.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

If you bring Solas into the Fade, he and Nighty have an exchange in Elvish that isn't translated - not in game, and apparently not by the DA community. I wonder what they said?

It has been community translated.
Don't click this if you haven't finished the game I guess.

There are also youtube videos and stuff on it but that link pretty much covers it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Just caught up on the new thread and don't think this has been mentioned yet: sit through the credits after you finish Trespasser. It's absolutely worth it.

e: also re: Solas hints, there's a bunch of a dialogue with Cole that makes a lot more sense the second time around. Also I don't think he ever technically lies to you, he always phrases things very carefully.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 10, 2017

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Played through the Mage-Templar quest mission last night. I chose to negotiate with the mages because 1)their dilemma seemed way more threatening to the world than a bunch of sulking templars and 2) Dorian seemed pretty rad. I really enjoyed that mission- the time travel was pretty cool and the people getting turned into red lyrium was suitably messed up.

My theory for the breach: Solas has mentioned multiple times that the spirits in the fade reflect you- for him, wisps were helpful and friendly but for less open minded people they could warp into demons. I think the blight and the ongoing templar-mage war has thrown enough negative feelings and magic around that its coalesced into a sort of Ur-Demon. The breach was essentially the demon banging the veil with the end of a broom to get the Conclave upstairs to shut up. All of its actions since breaking through are it trying to restore "balance" to the Fade.

Is it bad that I told Sera to piss off the first opportunity I could? I don't think I've ever been so annoyed by a Bioware character before. Blackwall is extremely my poo poo though. He doesn't seem particularly Grey Wardeny though. Duncan definitely would have conscripted those peasants into the Wardens in exchange for killing the thieves, or done it for supplies or something. I feel like the Wardens are way too close to extinction to afford to fight for anything other than self-interest.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sera does have some genuinelly good bits, but the annoying lolrandom never goes away with her unfortunatelly.

Gameplay wise she’s a monster, and does open up a few extra war tables missions and stuff but nothing crucial.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nobody gives Cole enough poo poo for being the worst most horribly written character in Dragon Age Inquisition. All his dialogue is awful magnetic poetry garbage and magical children are among the worst of RPG tropes. Sera is way better, I can roll with Sera.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Cole at least seems to have the good sense to be somewhat ashamed at all times.

I also liked the conflict his character drew out in Varric and Solas, who otherwise don’t really interact. Also Uncle Varric was very :3:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Cole at least seems to have the good sense to be somewhat ashamed at all times.

I also liked the conflict his character drew out in Varric and Solas, who otherwise don’t really interact. Also Uncle Varric was very :3:

I like that choice because there's no clear right answer. Cole being a spirit or more human are both pretty valid things to argue for. I agree that Cole is a bit meh most of the time though. Sera is actually cool and good once you get past her ridiculous introduction.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

joneswt posted:

Is it bad that I told Sera to piss off the first opportunity I could? I don't think I've ever been so annoyed by a Bioware character before. Blackwall is extremely my poo poo though.

Blackwall likes Sera and he has reason, she makes some good points. Not going to deny she has flaws, though.

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody gives Cole enough poo poo for being the worst most horribly written character in Dragon Age Inquisition. All his dialogue is awful magnetic poetry garbage and magical children are among the worst of RPG tropes.

Agreed on all points, but Cole's banter is much better than his scenes or conversation with the player. He gives you insight into the other characters and doesn't often have time for stupid verbless alliteration. I like taking him around, despite loathing everything else about him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Blackwall and Sera have great party banter, and combined with Vivienne the tension was so real in my first playthrough of Inquisition.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I like that choice because there's no clear right answer.

I expect there to be consequeces in 4 since last time doing it Varicks way gave us Anders.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

I expect there to be consequeces in 4 since last time doing it Varicks way gave us Anders.

Actually if anything Solas' view would be more dangerous because Cole as a spirit means Cole has the potential to turn into a Demon. Cole as more human might prevent him from becoming a demon even if it also limits his ability to feel the pain of others and help them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ginette Reno posted:

Actually if anything Solas' view would be more dangerous because Cole as a spirit means Cole has the potential to turn into a Demon. Cole as more human might prevent him from becoming a demon even if it also limits his ability to feel the pain of others and help them.
But that quest was getting him an amulet to prevent his being turned so maybe he'll be fine if you let him remain spirit-y.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Besides, the Thedas has enough humans. Letting him stay a spirit makes the world richer and more interesting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

But that quest was getting him an amulet to prevent his being turned so maybe he'll be fine if you let him remain spirit-y.

The amulet was to prevent him from being forcibly bound/turned into a Demon, but there's still nothing stopping him from willfully becoming one I would think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't mind Sera for being lolrandum, I mind that she's unable to see that for all her talk of how poo poo the system is she has no desire to actually change it, even though she manages to get into the good graces of the Inquisitor and thus has a friendly ear to try and talk to.

I didn't really use Cole enough to find out how much I like him, to be honest, because I was already a rogue and if I needed another one, I called on Varric.

Blackwall is great, though, agreed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Varric, Blackwall, and Dorian are the best companions in DAI. :colbert:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Confession: I find Dorian really tedious. Possibly because I am English and have seething class resentment against the whole poshboy vibe, but still: I really wish he were as witty as he thinks he is.

Cassandra's scenes are great, but as a travelling companion I think Vivienne has given me the most laughs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I ever replay inquisition I will violate my longstanding tradition of always making female characters in games with customization, just so I can romance Dorian

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i love each and every companion in inquisition and my biggest problem with the game overall is that there is SO MUCH awesome character development and world building in the inter-party banter, but i have to download a mod to make sure i get it as often as possible.

if you're a weirdo like me who has played an insane amount of inquisition, highly recommend finding a youtube compilation of all the party banter. there is a TON.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I am to this day baffled by the choice for banter to be as sparse as it is. Like I understand that they didn't want you to wear it all out because of how much poo poo there is to do but come on.

Also I'm still mad about them saying working as intended when they were being bombarded with "uhhhh it's been like 40 hours and none of my party has talked to each other since hour 3"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Barely related but I found out Alastair Park, Blackwall’s va, narrated a 2014 documentary called “Diving with the Dinosaur Fish” about a team of scientists tracking coelacanth off the coast of South Africa. Now I’m envisioning a naval branch of the Wardens with that fish as their emblem.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

cheetah7071 posted:

If I ever replay inquisition I will violate my longstanding tradition of always making female characters in games with customization, just so I can romance Dorian
:same:
And also Cassandra.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I know Bioware gets poo poo on for romances - and maybe rightfully so - but I think all the choices in DAI are really well done. They range from sweet to silly and they all hit their mark

I romanced Sera and I really loved what it added to her character. I'm not sure how much of her dialogue changes with a romance vs. not in Trespasser, but I thought they did a superb job of writing what it'd be like if Sera was dating the Inquisitor for 2 years

me and Blackwell being pals + his big bro-ness toward Sera made for such a fun party

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cassandra is absolutely Not Straight and I am ashamed of the cowards Bioware for not allowing her to follow her heart.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bogart posted:

Cassandra is absolutely Not Straight and I am ashamed of the cowards Bioware for not allowing her to follow her heart.

Between Cassandra, Cora, and Morrigan, Bioware has conclusively demonstrated that they are very committed to Extremely Gay women having straight romances.

e; Also yeah I have no idea what they were thinking with the banter rarity. Yes, it's a huge game that takes an awful lot of time to play, but they actually put in enough banter for that not to matter.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Mister Adequate posted:

Between Cassandra, Cora, and Morrigan, Bioware has conclusively demonstrated that they are very committed to Extremely Gay women having straight romances.

e; Also yeah I have no idea what they were thinking with the banter rarity. Yes, it's a huge game that takes an awful lot of time to play, but they actually put in enough banter for that not to matter.

I am not a game dev but maybe the open world bit interfered with that? DAO and 2 simply made use of check points but that might be tricky with open world maps? IDK, it's a possibility.

But the lack of banter is one of the reasons I'll never pick up DAI for PS4. There's no point if no one talks to each other.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

:same:
And also Cassandra.

There's a mod that lets women romance Cassandra too. You don't get all your own character's voiced lines, but it's nice to have all the same.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

What, makes them gay, exactly? They didn't trip my gaydar so I honestly don't know what you mean.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd rate Cora as extremely gay, Cassandra as bi, and Morrigan as ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cassandra’s whole characterization is that despite her tough exterior, she’s really into girly feminine things and chick lit romance novels. She’s straight as hell.