Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

April 2016: That was the primary reason that I wrote that blog, and called that decision the E.L.E.

December 2016: We find out they did in fact go with Lumberyard - and keeping the same lovely networking (the PRIMARY component in an MMO game) - because they didn't want to spend 12-18 months building a custom engine. They never disclosed this to backers.

December 2017: They have spent a whole loving year on a lovely engine for 3.0, when they could have been building a custom engine.

Note:, like we were doing with LoD, they could have branched it to a new engine and went from there. Instead, they branched it to Lumberyard, then didn't poo poo with it. They retained all the lovely parts that made up Star Engine.

And now the chicken have come home to roost.

NOTE: We spent almost two loving years building this. That was just 4 of us btw.

Is July now a Simulation Server?

e:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bayonnefrog posted:

But yeah I just assumed that everyone in here had played Eve since this was SA and followed their leader Mittani since this is a space game forum and stuff. But I don't think that's the case after seeing the replies.

There's a bunch of nuance about old friends and new friends and friends that give good fite that reduce the concept of 'goon purity' to a vaguey nationalistic oddity.

Personally my high point was when TEST sent a bunch of cargo ships as part of a UN humanitarian force when we found out that one of the smaller alliances was sharecropping their 0.0 members. The prank caused a diplomatic incident that caused a war shortly after.

Even funnier was TEST originally researching the best place to start in 0.0, and deciding to try and get as far away as goons as possible, only to read the map upside down and become our neighbors. It was so damned :shobon:.

Beet Wagon posted:

Every small vehicle is running on the same "skeleton" as their rover. The reason the rover and the Dragonfly work is because they have a big flat bottom to them that the Nox doesn't, so when the game tries to place the wheels or hover points or whatever it can find somewhere to put them with a little stability on those two but not the Nox.

Their future is going to have to be modular, mainly to provide for the variety that they'll eventually be looking for. This modularity is showing up in the surface structures, and I'm actually expecting a ship rework at some point, taking very careful note of the...

DO NOT TOUCH THE SHIPS

...mantra which actually makes things difficult to maneuver around.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Joe Blobber part deux

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=222155

:lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wuxi posted:

Best incarnation yet :allears:

Went from like a 2 to a solid 4 for me.

Tone's off, though. Anger doesn't really allow for the kind of concern posting that really throws a baited hook out there.

Bribase posted:

I'm not stupid. When I saw no other intro posts I suspected but just went ahead anyway with the requirements. Interested in seeing other likeminded people in #general instead of this cloister.

You're more FYAD material, boo.

Edit: and to a :five:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

drat I miss the GLAMOUR shots fad of the late 80's in America.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

noooooo

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

big nipples big life posted:

Joe Blobber part deux

Maybe they're all Surface Detail.

Maybe there is only one whale.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:laffo:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love this thread.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bayonnefrog posted:

Yes. I've said this multiple times. You can't go to jail for being incompetent.

You can. Breaking the law, then supplying the evidence to the prosecution is pretty drat incompetent and happens all the time. This year especially.

Bayonnefrog posted:

The only way legal stuff couldn't get involved is if they took all the money and bought an island in the Caribean and never made a game. But I think we're way past that point.

I think you mean 'could'; yeah, direct malfeasance is the easiest way, and you can't prosecute based upon a 'best effort' criminally, but that doesn't mean that civil action is off the table, particularly when you consider that _damages_ approaches tens of thousands rather than say $40. That's my fun. Missed expectations on $40 is fine. Missed expectations in the thousands requires a lot more self-delusion.

Abuminable posted:

I hope everyone has enjoyed the civility for the past week. FAU lets VictorianQueerLit out of the pokey in 7 hours.

My body is ready.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

April 2016: That was the primary reason that I wrote that blog, and called that decision the E.L.E.

December 2016: We find out they did in fact go with Lumberyard - and keeping the same lovely networking (the PRIMARY component in an MMO game) - because they didn't want to spend 12-18 months building a custom engine. They never disclosed this to backers.

December 2017: They have spent a whole loving year on a lovely engine for 3.0, when they could have been building a custom engine.

Note:, like we were doing with LoD, they could have branched it to a new engine and went from there. Instead, they branched it to Lumberyard, then didn't poo poo with it. They retained all the lovely parts that made up Star Engine.

And now the chicken have come home to roost.

NOTE: We spent almost two loving years building this. That was just 4 of us btw.

Yes, but the real question is: What happens when one of your physical hard drives fail? Where's the pipe that shows the incoming jet connection?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Bribase posted:

Honestly by your spiteful attitudes I'd say you guys are mostly republicans. Although I cannot cite any sources for that. Just my impression by the tone and things wished on the devs, and your laughter at the abuse of workers.

This is why you don't get it. Your meltdowns on Reddit show this in amazing clarity. You are missing a very fundamental part of understanding and interpreting social situations. And the limited tools that you have at your disposal are inadequate. Everything has to fit into some preconceived category for you and if not, then you cannot relate to it in any way and you get it completely wrong. This is one of those situations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DapperDon posted:

This is why you don't get it. Your meltdowns on Reddit show this in amazing clarity. You are missing a very fundamental part of understanding and interpreting social situations. And the limited tools that you have at your disposal are inadequate. Everything has to fit into some preconceived category for you and if not, then you cannot relate to it in any way and you get it completely wrong. This is one of those situations.

:allears:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

The Titanic posted:

Yeah but I like you. :)

I also don’t want to see your massive deck of ships.

I just like watching you self reference your massive fleet and how you are a ginormous whale for real, to mess with people and Derek mostly.

Keep on doing what you’re doing! :golfclap:

I mean, they're there, right? Game gets made? I'll enjoy them with my friends. If it doesn't? Lesson learned in crowd-funding I suppose.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

I mean, they're there, right? Game gets made? I'll enjoy them with my friends. If it doesn't? Lesson learned in crowd-funding I suppose.

How much will this lesson cost you? Because I think it can be done cheaper.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Slow_Moe posted:

How much will this lesson cost you? Because I think it can be done cheaper.

Not if you want the full AAA lesson experience

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

At least the bumbling idiot tried.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Neville Chamberlain tried for peace but giving up his allies. Welp, lesson learned *sad trombone*

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

The Best drat Learning Experience money can buy. Pledge now for more fidelity!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/PCPowerPlay/status/940426543284678656
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940561644412948485
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940559804204027905
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940564088454811648
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940568203876499457

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The growing list of "Known Trolls/Alts"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

imagine being tarkaroshe

lol

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I see more blood soaks the thread's cobblestones, feeding the evil sperg within.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lesson learned in crowd-funding I suppose.

There's a lot to unpack here.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I'm convinced this guy just sits around all day long watching for a Star Citizen Twitter/Reddit distress beacon to come swoop in and defend its honor. That guy and a few others have severe problems with what other people choose to do with their own platforms of discussion. Yet they completely fail to create one of their own.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

That list :psyduck:

This is a grown-rear end adult

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

DapperDon posted:

Sarcasm and satire are lost on these folks. It's too bad -- it's like not being able to taste salt.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

That list :psyduck:

This is a grown-rear end adult

Wait, that guy has me on that list twice. As someone else? Whaaaaaaaaat is wrong with this guy?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Abuminable posted:

Sarcasm and satire are lost on these folks. It's too bad -- it's like not being able to taste salt.

Can't blame a fella for trying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Foo Diddley posted:

CIG is attempting a lesson on nobodies that no one has ever tried before.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

imagine being tarkaroshe

lol

I don't want to, it hurts, make it stop!

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

SomethingJones posted:

Yeah turns out it's not as simple as I always thought for retail so I'm wrong about that, or at least almost right, in some cases, sometimes...

I did my stint in retail and a manager from another branch who was there with his lot for training told me we had to honour the price tags and that our lot had been doing it wrong all along. So for all these years I had it wrong and we were actually doing it right in the first place. The price tags were always loving wrong because the guy in the back who printed it all up was a complete stoner and the amount of blazing rows in that place was unreal over loving price tags, seriously I get triggered now thinking about it

Anyway CIG are totally bang to rights on ship purchases, there's no getting around that

Yeah for what's it worth, the items are considered to be an, "invitation to treat". Fisher vs Bell covered items in a shop window, there is another one for items on a supermarket shelf I think.

It is possible to make an "offer to the world at large". Carlill vs Carbolic Smokeball Company is the case that is most often cited on that but it's much harder to establish and even that case is considered a bit ropey. It's English common law but I'm pretty sure it's studied in US law schools too for some reason. I'm sure a resident paralegal could clarify.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

There is no game.
There is no play.
There is only staring at the screen, hiding from the crippling depression.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

shrach posted:

Yeah for what's it worth, the items are considered to be an, "invitation to treat". Fisher vs Bell covered items in a shop window, there is another one for items on a supermarket shelf I think.

It is possible to make an "offer to the world at large". Carlill vs Carbolic Smokeball Company is the case that is most often cited on that but it's much harder to establish and even that case is considered a bit ropey. It's English common law but I'm pretty sure it's studied in US law schools too for some reason. I'm sure a resident paralegal could clarify.

lol England

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Abuminable posted:

I hope everyone has enjoyed the civility for the past week. FAU lets VictorianQueerLit out of the pokey in 7 hours.

The takedown countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

If it doesn't? Then Derek Smart was right.

Lesson learned.