Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Can the AI still drill if you don't have the expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Remember when I said drilling seemed like a stealth buff to the AI? Yeah I was wrong, stealth is not involved

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh also don't forget that the AI can see through the fog of war and is supposed to act like it can't, but totally does anyway.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
On the plus side a few bugs / oversights I reported got fixed, which always feels nice :shobon:

There's actually some huge changes hidden in the changelog, for example:

quote:

Fixed that depletion chance of gold mines was truncated to whole percentage points in calculation.

So yeah turns out that gold mines never actually depleted unless you made them like 15 production or something.

quote:

Fixed "Enthrone Timurid Ruler" decision not giving the ruler promised by tooltip

This is now a once per game 'pay 2 stability for a potentially godlike ruler' button for many states. Nice!

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh also don't forget that the AI can see through the fog of war and is supposed to act like it can't, but totally does anyway.

Yeah it does get annoying when the AI starts to run away from seiging your mountain fort while you're in the fog 2 provinces away before they're supposed to be able to see you, so you can never actually trap them.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Except my ally ai sometimes acts like it has fog of war over me. "Oh no, don't worry about that giant russian doomstack coming at me faster than i can get away from in my own territory near your border. You just keep running off deeper into your own territory with your large stack that would turn the tide of this imminent battle if you'd only turn around sometime in the next 2 weeks."

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they can see 2 provinces deep, instead of just what is bordering their sight. May be more but I think that is the number I remember.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
While in China helping allies as japan, the Bahmanis declared war on a different ally which threw me into a 2nd war. Yue and I were sieging an eastern Chinese province and I watched as a Bahmani army made a beeline across China to gank me which was cool.

My army was attached to the yue army and iirc the Bahmanis weren't allied to anyone near me.

I needed an excuse to start over anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

The Netherlands broke free from Burgundy and quickly allied Austria, Great Britain and me. Unfortunately they lost the war got fully annexed because as usual they never bothered calling anyone in to help them. :v:

It's because that war inexplicably makes the Netherlands the aggressor, and their former overlord the defender. So it's usually Austria calling in all her many allies and stomping the poo poo out of a lone Netherlands. It's real dumb.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The most satisfying way to end an ottoman war:

leave em with no troops, and half their country occupied by rebels :feelsgood:

Also I'm really not liking the slower movement changes, but after reading you guys comments, I'm just happy I dont have CoC so the AI isn't zipping around my troops.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

It's because that war inexplicably makes the Netherlands the aggressor, and their former overlord the defender. So it's usually Austria calling in all her many allies and stomping the poo poo out of a lone Netherlands. It's real dumb.
Ah, now it makes more sense thank you. It is real dumb yes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The slower movement is a great change (it significantly increases your ability to have local superiority in troops), I just don't like the fact that they have added more ways for units on map to have different speeds, and in particular, have added yet another completely unnecessary unique buff to hordes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hordes are god's government type

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Go Go Kon-go!

Kongo is going very well. I was able to kick the tiny bit of European presence out of Africa completely by 1550.

As you can see in that screenshot, France just declared war on me, citing "Conquest". They don't border me at all, but, uh, how did all of these European powers and their colonial nations get claims on this one province of mine?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
it's called "europa universalis" for a reason :rolleye:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Either exploration or expansion’s final idea gives you the ability to fabricate claims overseas. Alternatively, might be an event claim.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

expansion ideas lets you fabricate claims in trade regions as the capstone

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But that's not too bad either, because the AI tends to be god awful at naval invasions, meaning defending that province is usually an easy 25% warscore for you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The Europeans tend to get pretty loving obsessive about gold provinces too, which is fine when they're preying on the SO but they have no real understanding of 'wait no the entirety of Subsaharan Africa is not an easy target.'

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Cheen posted:

Thanks for making up for my mental deficiencies.

I also wrote everywhere it was coming this patch. Think I even did it in a response to you :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

The Europeans tend to get pretty loving obsessive about gold provinces too, which is fine when they're preying on the SO but they have no real understanding of 'wait no the entirety of Subsaharan Africa is not an easy target.'
Maybe they're still stuck in the old tech group mindset where the entire Subsaharan Africa could barely muster more troops than Brittany and could only hope to win battles where they heavily outnumbered the enemy. :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So far this patch Ming seems slightly more prone to rebels but can still crush them all without too much trouble. Merc penalty doesn’t appear to have changed much, they are still going to have a lot of mercs whenever their manpower is low because they are rich as all goddamn and can buy up to their merc limit no matter what it is. Ming AI does seem a bit more aggressive, vassalizing some Indochinese minors and seizing territory in tribute wars with others. Not sure why, but it’s a bit unusual, not that I’m complaining.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AI alliance logic seems to have changed a lot, for example the Mamluks no longer always want to be your best friend as Karaman. Not sure exactly why but it feels like large states are less likely to be friendly towards small ones than in 1.23

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Poil posted:

What in the? Usually they spawn in Scandinavia and the British Isles so they don't accomplish much. This is a completely new fail. Would making the first center guaranteed to spawn at the correct historical location make it better?

I have had the Reformed CoR spawn in a Rhodes still owned by the Knights. Not a single province converted before the Knights themselves were force converted by war.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Poil posted:

The Netherlands broke free from Burgundy and quickly allied Austria, Great Britain and me. Unfortunately they lost the war got fully annexed because as usual they never bothered calling anyone in to help them. :v:

I was going to say Enforce peace, but if they declared independence it wouldn't work. Couldn't you still join the war from the Great Power interface?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

But that's not too bad either, because the AI tends to be god awful at naval invasions, meaning defending that province is usually an easy 25% warscore for you.

Excepting the time France in a rival war with your Russia sends 50000 men to fight the anti-native stack in your sole latecomer Colombian colony, leaving their homeland to you. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

Didn’t this patch include a map change? I think it probably breaks saves.

Map changes don't hard break saves. When loading an old save, new provinces end up as unexplored and uncolonized 1/1/1 provinces, but since this patch's map changes were in uncolonized land already this shouldn't be a major issue. It gets weird when new provinces are added in like the middle of Europe.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Did the colonising nations' AI become even worse this patch?

This is the third time England drags me into a war completely unprepared. The last time they kept 24k of their 35k army in their barely developed Sierra Leone colony. This time they have 49k soldiers and I can't find a single English soldier anywhere in the known world.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Chickpea Roar posted:

This is the third time England drags me into a war completely unprepared. The last time they kept 24k of their 35k army in their barely developed Sierra Leone colony. This time they have 49k soldiers and I can't find a single English soldier anywhere in the known world.

Looks like someone forgot about the cardinal rule of EU.

Never ally England.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Chickpea Roar posted:

Tell England you're washing your hair and can't make it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Yeah, the inevitable backstabbing will come only slightly earlier than it would have.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

This is the best new feature:

Highlights the whole state.

And here's a little puzzle, why won't France accept?

They're defender of the faith but like me so much they won't honor the call

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Never Ally Perfidious Albion

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

England is the worst serious ally you could have. They usually have some army though so they can at least be used as deterrent. Serious in this case meaning not defenseless crap nation right next to expansive blob.

anti_strunt posted:

I was going to say Enforce peace, but if they declared independence it wouldn't work. Couldn't you still join the war from the Great Power interface?
No idea, I wasn't a particularly great power when it happened. Started as OPM in the HRE. A good player could easily have checked it though. :v:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
England is the perfect ally for Norway. They're actually competent enough in the beginning of the game to help you in the first wars against your Scandinavian brothers/sisters, and you can keep them from conquering Scotland by making sure you lead the wars. If you're lucky you can bleed them dry against France while you carpet Scotland. They'll probably stay allied long enough for you to annex Scotland which'll make them really hate you and cancel the alliance, but at that point you should be strong enough to take them. I can usually use their hatred of me to score an alliance with France, too.
It's the perfect way to conquer Britain, but their incredible incompetence is still a problem for the game.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Although the AI seems to have the same trouble actually invading England. In my game France has gone to war with them maybe 3 times, each time claiming Somerset but then just sitting in France. poo poo war target, poo poo ally.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i dunno i keep seeing england lose island provinces to france/denmark but eventually conquer it back

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MrBling posted:

Looks like someone forgot about the cardinal rule of EU.

Never ally England.

Sometimes they can be handy if you need a big navy (say for blockading France) and you can't afford one yet. Don't expect to get any help from them on the land though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Another hotfix https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hotfix-1-24-1-is-now-live-checksum-0625-not-for-problem-reports.1060639/

quote:

Good day! We are right now deploying a hotfix to deal with some of the bigger issues encountered by players. This fix will be automatically applied to your game through Steam. If you do not see it downloading, then restarting Steam should force the fix to be downloaded and applied.

- Subject Nations can now seek support for Neutral nations again (-1000 modifier is only used for "unknown" attitudes)
- The decision to adopt Iqta Government is no longer available for Ottoman Governments or Feudal Theocracies.
- Multiplayer crash fixed
- Fixed crash caused by AI trying to raise Janissaries in lost states.
- Fixed ReferenceObject not getting removed form storage (crash fix)

Hotfixes are usually aimed at taking care of high impact issues quickly, in this case crashes, Ottomans shooting themselves in the foot and the lack of support for Subjects. We will continue to keep an eye on bug reports coming in and continue our work in general up to Christmas Break and beyond.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 14, 2017

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The year is 1570 and Venice is going well for me, with all of Greece under a Byzantine vassal and Northern Italy under direct control. I am making boatloads of cash but I found myself at loss of what I want to do. I am starting to seriously lose Republican Tradition from being too large and I want to keep as a merchant republic. However, what is there to do after you get all the obvious targets? Idea wise I went Trade-Quantity-Plutocracy and now I find myself a bit stuck in terms of goals except maybe trying to steal Genoese land. At this point is there anything interesting that can be done, while keeping as a Serene Republic? I heard about people colonizing India for trade companies but I don't know how doable that is, this late into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

1570 is barely a third into game, there's time to do anything. also outside of getting plutocracy republics suck, especially merchant republics, what with -50 max absolutism and no estates