Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Why the hell would you sit in your car while it warms up? I'd almost rather stand outside it than sit my nuts on a frozen seat.

E: I get that the pet peeve part is that people do this when temperatures are around freezing or above. I just don't agree with the "advice" that your car never needs to warm up when clearly it does when temperatures are below zero degrees Fahrenheit and your breath can obscure vision.

EdwardSwifferhands has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Garrand posted:

I don't know much about cars but people are letting it run so the air can heat up which certainly works just fine? At least in every car I've seen and had.

Like yeah its wasteful but you're making it sound like it's doing absolutely nothing.
cars work better when they're moving, sitting in one spot idling for any length of time will burn gas because the car has to move its own air

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t think he’s talking about people turning it on while they clean the snow and ice. Just people who sit in their car idling waiting for the engine temp to rise.

Nobody is sitting in their car to wait for it to heat up. They turn it on with a spare key and lock the door or now a lot of cars have remote starts. The entire point is to let the heater run so it's not freezing when you actually need to start driving.

Like, I'm not trying to defend this practice because I don't do it and I think it's wasteful and damaging to the environment but I feel like half of you have never actually used a car or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I Always let my car idle for two minutes or so no matter what the temp/season is. It’s like stretching in a way, you don’t run a race without a little warmup first.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is there some explanation why some people suddenly just change the way they speak in an annoying way and seem oblivious to it? Like my mom for example ever since getting dogs talks in this weird affected baby talk voice to everyone as if she was talking to her dogs. It drives me nuts but when I ask "why are you talking like that?" she got really confused and said she isn't talking any differently than she ever did. My brother does the same thing with this weird fake cowboyish accent like he's trying to mimic woody from toy story or something. They both drop the fake voice on occasion so I know they are capable of not talking like that.

Anyway, whatever mental thing makes people do that is my pet peeve and I wish they'd just talk in real voices.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is there some explanation why some people suddenly just change the way they speak in an annoying way and seem oblivious to it? Like my mom for example ever since getting dogs talks in this weird affected baby talk voice to everyone as if she was talking to her dogs. It drives me nuts but when I ask "why are you talking like that?" she got really confused and said she isn't talking any differently than she ever did. My brother does the same thing with this weird fake cowboyish accent like he's trying to mimic woody from toy story or something. They both drop the fake voice on occasion so I know they are capable of not talking like that.

Anyway, whatever mental thing makes people do that is my pet peeve and I wish they'd just talk in real voices.

Code switching is one thing but this seems like a problem specific to your family. :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Code switching is one thing but this seems like a problem specific to your family. :psyduck:

I had a friend in highschool who would do a similar thing too whenever a serious topic came up. It seems like a way of distancing themselves from discussing anything of substance because they aren't confident in what they have to say, but doing the voice all the time is a more new/recent thing these members of my family have been doing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I knew a guy who would switch into a really bad Brooklyn accent randomly and claim he had no idea he was doing it. He was from Pennsylvania

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I had a friend in highschool who would do a similar thing too whenever a serious topic came up. It seems like a way of distancing themselves from discussing anything of substance because they aren't confident in what they have to say, but doing the voice all the time is a more new/recent thing these members of my family have been doing.

I’n glad you have your av back but otoh I want to punch your mom and brother in the face

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’n glad you have your av back but otoh I want to punch your mom and brother in the face

Harsh, but fair.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I knew a guy who would switch into a really bad Brooklyn accent randomly and claim he had no idea he was doing it. He was from Pennsylvania

I went to school with a guy from South Carolina who had a bit of a southern accent, but when he would start talking about South Carolina he would suddenly sound like Foghorn Leghorn. Now he does radio in South Dakota and has developed a flat midwestern radio voice.

Also some friends claimed he sounded like a Jewish grandmother when talking to Jews.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Re: my car idling in cold temp post: they weren't cleaning anything off their car, they were just sitting there, and I had to wait five minutes for them to pull out of the parking spot I wanted. It was infuriating. Don't the see me behind them with the blinker on? So rude.

Also people who take up 2 spots on the street so their car won't get hit. gently caress these people forever. There is so little parking in the city that taking up two spots is so loving lovely. I sometimes have the urge to key their car... I haven't done it cause I'm not a lovely person like they are but the temptation is there.

Snorkzilla posted:

Why the hell would you sit in your car while it warms up? I'd almost rather stand outside it than sit my nuts on a frozen seat.

E: I get that the pet peeve part is that people do this when temperatures are around freezing or above. I just don't agree with the "advice" that your car never needs to warm up when clearly it does when temperatures are below zero degrees Fahrenheit and your breath can obscure vision.

I'm also pretty sure that driving warms up the engine, and this the heater, up faster.

oldpainless posted:

I Always let my car idle for two minutes or so no matter what the temp/season is. It’s like stretching in a way, you don’t run a race without a little warmup first.

Your car isn't a living being. It doesn't have muscles that need stretches. "Man, I gotta make sure my tires get a good stretch in before I get on the highway, I don't want to pull a muscle of my tire!"

E: more like oldmuscleless

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Dec 11, 2017

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'm p sure they factor in extreme temperatures when they engineer cars these days, obviously. The only cold weather stuff in my 2016 owner's manual is about an optional engine block heater that isn't even available on my model, nothing about warming it up for before driving. I started up and got driving right away many-a freezing Boston early morning in my old car and the only difference was that i was frozen, but nothing was mechanically different.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate when I'm listening to something (say, a podcast) and I miss something, and the timeframe between the Moment and finding my phone and rolling it back means I've mis-timed it. Like, my brain assumes it just happened, but it actually happened ~15 seconds ago.

Late edit: my home wifi (or my phone's connection to it, or both) has a habit of briefly cutting off. Not turns off and reconnects, but a weird INTERNET MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE error that requires me to turn off wifi on my phone and turning it back on. Specifically sucks when I'm listening to something to go to sleep, and it cuts off.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Dec 11, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The apple podcast app.

drat it sucks now, i legit dunno why it’s the way it is now unless it was engineered to suck and maybe cause crashes.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The apple podcast app.

drat it sucks now, i legit dunno why it’s the way it is now unless it was engineered to suck and maybe cause crashes.
It’s so bad now. It’s bad at every step, and it sucks, and I hate it.

The old one was fine and I didn’t know how good I had it until they took it away :saddowns:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

life is a joke posted:

I'm p sure they factor in extreme temperatures when they engineer cars these days, obviously. The only cold weather stuff in my 2016 owner's manual is about an optional engine block heater that isn't even available on my model, nothing about warming it up for before driving. I started up and got driving right away many-a freezing Boston early morning in my old car and the only difference was that i was frozen, but nothing was mechanically different.

Warming up the car for 5-10 minutes is idiotic. It does nothing. The car is still ice cold and all you're doing is wasting other peoples time. Warming up your car for 1/2 hour in the morning in your own driveway though is luxurious. It is a wonderful thing to slide into a nice warm car when it's -10f out. If it's above zero, just drive it man. You won't die.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
As far as hanging out in parking spots, you don't necessarily know what I'm doing. 99% of the time I'm texting or returning a phone call so I don't get tempted to do it while driving. Sorry that it's frustrating for you when you assume I'll back out the moment I see you there, but unless my reverse lights are on you can assume I'm not ready to leave yet, so just move along and find someplace else.

What I absolutely hate in parking lots is when people wait around OUTSIDE of a parking spot. You're in a loving parking lot, it's seriously only there for you to park in! Why are you parked sitting stopped off to the side blocking other cars in? Why are you parked in the fire lane? Even worse if they don't have at least their hazards on, since now you have absolutely no clue whether they're going to randomly start moving.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I sincerely feel like I'm missing something in this car discussion: if you don't wait for your car to warm up... how do you see through the windows?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Nettles Coterie posted:

I sincerely feel like I'm missing something in this car discussion: if you don't wait for your car to warm up... how do you see through the windows?

I think the point was people sitting in their cars waaaay past the point of the windows being de-fogged, just so they can be warm on their way to their destination, instead of just dealing with a cold seat/steering wheel/what have you until the car warms up while driving.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think there is also a distinction between people who do it before leaving home and people who do it in parking lots. Either way I think its a silly thing to get worked up about (so it's in the correct thread).

I am at the airport right now and i would like to reiterate a frequent peeve that happens every drat time: if they call for first class to board and you are in the absolute last boarding group, don't stand at the front of the line and don't give me a nasty look when I shove by you after you pretend not to hear me saying excuse me.

You have an assigned seat. Just board when you are called.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nettles Coterie posted:

Use an ice scraper.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

I think there is also a distinction between people who do it before leaving home and people who do it in parking lots. Either way I think its a silly thing to get worked up about (so it's in the correct thread).

I am at the airport right now and i would like to reiterate a frequent peeve that happens every drat time: if they call for first class to board and you are in the absolute last boarding group, don't stand at the front of the line and don't give me a nasty look when I shove by you after you pretend not to hear me saying excuse me.

You have an assigned seat. Just board when you are called.

Does Southwest still do that thing where you have a boarding group and it's just a free-for-all as to what seat you actually end up in? I normally fly Alaska and since we all have assigned seats there tends to just be a big crowd near the gate that kind of tapers down as you get closer to the actual door, so a couple years ago when I ended up on a Southwest flight and tried to just join the big unorganized group I was told pretty clearly to go gently caress myself off to the back of the line.

My wife and a lot of my friends do what you're describing though where they will wait right near the front desk until they're allowed to board then just cut in where ever. I don't really get it. It's really not going to get the plane off the ground any faster, nobody is going to steal your seat, and since we don't typically use the overhead storage there's no motivation there either. I guess maybe you can try to start napping a few minutes earlier maybe.

To be honest I'd be fine with waiting for everybody else to board so I don't have to wait in line at the gate and then wait in line at the door of the plane and then wait in line again to get to my seat, instead everybody I travel with is in such a hurry to board it's just obnoxious.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Use an ice scraper.

On condensation?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On condensation?

Then use your windshield wipers? I don't even know what you're talking about now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Local peeve: the Guys Who Do This Sort Of Thing only repaved/relined like 3/4ths of the parking lot I park in near work. So for most of it, the blacktop is black, the repainted lines are white, and there's a great contrast.

One of the places I park hadn't been done, likely due to the upcoming cold weather. So the blacktop is really light grey, the lines are faded so they are a small shade whiter than the blacktop, and I am the only person in the area who'll back out and back in if I realize I hosed up and I'm not centered in the spot. Everyone else takes their side of the middle, and it's terrible to park next to.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Garrand posted:

Then use your windshield wipers? I don't even know what you're talking about now.

Do I have windshield wipers on every window?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

What the hell is happening to your car?

Also most scrapers have a brush on the other side which would also probably work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Garrand posted:

What the hell is happening to your car?

Also most scrapers have a brush on the other side which would also probably work.

Frost on the outside, fog on the inside?

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I don't usually get ice here, but often in the mornings all my windows are completely fogged over with condensation. I can wipe it off by hand, and use my windshield wipers, but until my car starts blowing hot air the it just gets fogged over again and again. I guess I could just drive around with my wipers running until the air blows hot, but that's way more annoying and dangerous than just sitting in my car for a few minutes til all the windows clear.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inspector 34 posted:

Does Southwest still do that thing where you have a boarding group and it's just a free-for-all as to what seat you actually end up in? I normally fly Alaska and since we all have assigned seats there tends to just be a big crowd near the gate that kind of tapers down as you get closer to the actual door, so a couple years ago when I ended up on a Southwest flight and tried to just join the big unorganized group I was told pretty clearly to go gently caress myself off to the back of the line.

My wife and a lot of my friends do what you're describing though where they will wait right near the front desk until they're allowed to board then just cut in where ever. I don't really get it. It's really not going to get the plane off the ground any faster, nobody is going to steal your seat, and since we don't typically use the overhead storage there's no motivation there either. I guess maybe you can try to start napping a few minutes earlier maybe.

To be honest I'd be fine with waiting for everybody else to board so I don't have to wait in line at the gate and then wait in line at the door of the plane and then wait in line again to get to my seat, instead everybody I travel with is in such a hurry to board it's just obnoxious.

Here's a really radical idea that would ease about 95% of the aggravation of flying: board the loving plane from the BACK.

First Class still gets to feel like special snowflakes because they get to board last (the plane waits for them to board) and then they get to debark before everyone else. Big cluster gently caress solved.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Here's a really radical idea that would ease about 95% of the aggravation of flying: board the loving plane from the BACK.

First Class still gets to feel like special snowflakes because they get to board last (the plane waits for them to board) and then they get to debark before everyone else. Big cluster gently caress solved.

That would suck for first class though. One of the perks of boarding first is you get to start getting drunk in your comfortable seat before takeoff as all the other people board. Boarding last isn't a privilege.

Imho if you are caught trying to board and/or lining up and blocking the way before your boarding class is called, you should not only have to be the last one on the plane but you will be swapped with someone with a middle seat (assuming you didn't already have one).

Anyway I think the best boarding method is having two doors, one in the front and one in the middle , assuming everyone goes to the door they are supposed to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yep. This would work. Honestly, I don't know why people are in such a god damned hurry to get onto planes. I feel like the on-board experience, in just about every way, has become shabbier and more unpleasant over the last decade or so, and I'd much rather stay comfortably seated at the relatively uncramped, wide-open gate until I absolutely have to line up for boarding. It's not like the plane's going to leave without you, not if you're paying the absolute minimal amount of attention, and your seat was assigned when you bought the ticket - and yet, inevitably you see people who absolutely cannot wait to live out the glamorous Jet Age experience of standing in line.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

That would suck for first class though. One of the perks of boarding first is you get to start getting drunk in your comfortable seat before takeoff as all the other people board. Boarding last isn't a privilege.

Then let first class go sit in the Admiral's Club or whatever it's called and get drunk until it's time for them to board. Then when they get seated, they don't have to wait for the other shlubs to spend 45 minutes trying to jam a steamer trunk into the overhead bin.

quote:

Anyway I think the best boarding method is having two doors, one in the front and one in the middle , assuming everyone goes to the door they are supposed to.

I'm old enough to remember when they did this. This was years before 9/11 and Security Theater, and yes, boarding the plane was much less of a pain in the rear end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was a kid I could have sworn I brought a swiss army knife onto the plane just in my pockets when our family went to Hawaii. All the new security procedures are ridiculous and doesn't prevent anything.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

I'm old enough to remember when they did this. This was years before 9/11 and Security Theater, and yes, boarding the plane was much less of a pain in the rear end.

I see it occasionally on my lufthansa flights back home on the bigger airbuses. I can't remember if they ever do it on US-origin flights but I guess not.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I see it occasionally on my lufthansa flights back home on the bigger airbuses. I can't remember if they ever do it on US-origin flights but I guess not.

The last time I flew to Hong Kong, United did it on a 777, but that was a few years ago.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Does Southwest still do that thing where you have a boarding group and it's just a free-for-all as to what seat you actually end up in?

It's a brilliant system: first the window seats are filled, then the aisle seats, then every person in an aisle seat has to get back up to allow the last third of the passengers into the middle seats.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

They board big planes from multiple doors all the time.

I've been a few places where they will board a 737/A320 from the front and back simultaneously, using ladders. I don't like having to be outside for this, but it goes about 5x faster. Rows 1-15 to this ladder, rows 16-30 to that ladder, get on the drat plane and get moving. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Alaska boards First Class and top-tier mileage people first then they do board from the back. They even allow 1 checked bag free for mileage members. But there's still an issue with people bringing unreasonably huge carry on bags, so the over head bins fill up really fast and create a bottle neck for people just trying to get to their seat. I've seen people who show up late with seats in the back have to trudge all the way back off the plane to gate-check their carry on. It's real simple, just check your huge bags dummies!

^I don't think the 737 has rear doors. Or maybe it's an option they've decided against on every 737 I've been on for the last 10 years.

Edit: Looks like they mostly do have rear doors, just the stupid airlines I fly on never ever ever use them :argh:

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Dec 13, 2017