Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

Keenan broke down the Gordon Ryan/Craig Jones arm bar from EBI, and threw a little shade because why not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPj368_plK0

A few interesting details

wow that's great. glad that got cleared up. it kept me up at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

No-gi was fun. I see now why people enjoy it; my knuckles feel good. My rolling partner tried to heel hook me and I had to yell at him.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

yes but how fared your balls

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

vaginal facsimile posted:

No-gi was fun. I see now why people enjoy it; my knuckles feel good. My rolling partner tried to heel hook me and I had to yell at him.

nobody should be heel hooking a beginner so it's good you were not complacent about telling them not to do that

if you're confused or hitting a wall as a beginner try to always fight for the underhook - especially from half-guard (top or bottom)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

yes but how fared your balls

Not good actually lol. I tried without a cup for the first time and it just so happened that the gi class involved escaping from armbars so my balls got destroyed. Probably won't do that again.

old.flv posted:

nobody should be heel hooking a beginner so it's good you were not complacent about telling them not to do that

if you're confused or hitting a wall as a beginner try to always fight for the underhook - especially from half-guard (top or bottom)

I was really bad, makes sense since I haven't rolled in no-gi before. I was surprised that I kept looking for grips that didn't exist.

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 9, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

just wanted to give my condolences to the goon with the brutalized balls

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Morning Bell posted:

Closed guard bottom, please. I feel my closed guard is effective against lighter/weaker opponents, but anyone my size or larger gives me a hard time (I'm a 5'11" middleweight), which probably means my technique sucks, and I'd like to improve my offence from there.

I really dug Ryan Hall's defensive guard DVD for what it's worth.

Hrm, let's see. The two best closed guard guys I can think of are Roger Gracie and Xande Ribeiro, so you could try to imitate either of those. Roger doesn't have much instructional stuff available, and I think his game is a bit gi-focused. Xande's game seems to work well across both.

Rafael Lovato Jr. has a download out called "guard mastery" which is based on Xande's game, his stuff is pretty good. Xande has some instructional stuff of his own too, but I haven't seen it.

Shawn Williams 'The Williams Guard' and Dan Covel's 'Closed Guard Black Magic' are both cool, but they're less fundamentals-focused than Xande or Roger. They're about transitions from closed guard into a "not-quite-closed-guard" position and locking people down/attacking from there. Somebody in here recommended the Shawn Williams one to me and I liked it a lot, though it's not closed guard in the purest sense.

Morning Bell posted:

I feel my closed guard is effective against lighter/weaker opponents, but anyone my size or larger gives me a hard time

This sounds like you need to practice fundamental stuff like posture control and making angles with your hips. You might be able to just search for youtube videos about closed guard armbars and triangles and stuff and look for details that you've forgotten. Try hunting through Stephan Kesting's channel, Chewjitsu's channel, and the Tristar/Firas Zahabi channel for fine details on closed guard.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Morning Bell posted:

Closed guard bottom, please. I feel my closed guard is effective against lighter/weaker opponents, but anyone my size or larger gives me a hard time (I'm a 5'11" middleweight), which probably means my technique sucks, and I'd like to improve my offence from there.

Do you have long legs? That is one of the few positions I'm actually really good at and can hold a lot of people bigger/more experienced than me for a very long time. I have long muscular legs though so I don't know how much is that and how much is my movement. I'd assume if your lock is weak from your legs being short it'd give you a lot less leeway in maneuvering around, That being said you should be able to keep people around your size in closed guard for awhile if that's what you're looking to do. Are you staying active and looking to disrupt peoples balance when they try to escape? Always be smacking posts away breaking down posture etc. With a strong lock and a lot of movement I can can keep people for long periods before I try to set up a bump sweep, triangle, or whatever. The more I ramble on about this the more I realize I'm very bad at explaining BJJ.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Thanks heaps for all the recommendations! I'm in a small town visiting family and I will check them all out from the couch.

My legs aren't very long. My arms are freakishly so, though, which makes second-hand shopping for jackets problematic.

Yep, when in closed guard bottom I'm trying to be aggressive, consistently on the offensive and threatening, never just hanging out. I'll sweep fresher or lighter whitebelts at my gym without any trouble, but then a blue or a decent-size senior white crawls between my thick thighs and it's like I'm throwing paper airplanes at a boulder. I also suspect something's real sloppy with my fundamentals and will have to re-examine. I'll go through Kesting, Chewjistu and Tristar for sure.

Ages ago, an upper belt said that I was too cautious and didn't take enough risks in closed guard, too, which is probably still true. I'll grab an experienced teammate next open mat and see if I can get a hand.

quote:

The more I ramble on about this the more I realize I'm very bad at explaining BJJ.

Every sentence I write in this thread, I feel like a twat.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So we did a variation of this move today (amongst other Kimura related stuff).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqH7NYAY8QA

I never learned this in the 3 years I was actively doing stuff at a gym in the US so this was cool.

Sadly most of my learning is through broken Korean & English and also watching how the coach goes through the move.

Edit - Anyway that is my dumb contribution to this thread. Thanks and namaste.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 11, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seems like the guy who initiated the kimura would have to be really slow to not come up on top once you flop to your hip...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How would he come up on top? I get ruined with that reversal all the time when I'm trying octopus half or hitting kimuras from bottom half

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How would he come up on top? I get ruined with that reversal all the time when I'm trying octopus half or hitting kimuras from bottom half

Rewatched the video, had a different idea in my head of the way the legs were positioned

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah I played with octopus half stuff for awhile because Garry Tonon uses it to set up kimuras and because I thought it might be a solid solution to being darced through my half guard. I never found a solution to deal with those kind of hip switch reversals that you linked, and I suspect it's the kind of move that'll only work on people in your own weight class or lighter. If anybody knows better please say so, because it would've been perfect for my game if it'd worked. (I'm talking about octopus half now, not the kimura reversal)

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LOg_IH3W0

Hyped for the aikido team reveal

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Hope that pans out cause it looks like a lot of fun

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah I played with octopus half stuff for awhile because Garry Tonon uses it to set up kimuras and because I thought it might be a solid solution to being darced through my half guard. I never found a solution to deal with those kind of hip switch reversals that you linked, and I suspect it's the kind of move that'll only work on people in your own weight class or lighter. If anybody knows better please say so, because it would've been perfect for my game if it'd worked. (I'm talking about octopus half now, not the kimura reversal)

I don't play much octopus half but maybe this stuff will help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGBI7r9Z2VE

I definitely prefer more of a knee shield or Z Guard and I fight frame the neck and fight for the wrist control. I either sell on the kimura and do that Lachlan Giles sequence, switch to butterfly half and do a hook sweep, or transition to single leg X and drop into a leg lock or technical standup sweep.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like this Quintet format. Could be fun.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

I don't play much octopus half but maybe this stuff will help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGBI7r9Z2VE

Interesting. I will try to track down the original Eduardo Telles DVD. I'd love to hear Yuns' opinion on the position, if he has one.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
7 of my friends and teammates in the morning gi class were promoted to black belt by Renzo this morning.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's uh... that's a lot of black belts.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We already had 6 regular black belt attendees in the morning gi class but we also had a ton of long time brown belts. This promotion pushes the number of black belts in the am gi class to 13. Our morning no gi class (John's class) has maybe a dozen or so black belts as well.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's uh... that's a lot of black belts.

And hear I thought the 3 that got promoted Saturday at my gym was a high number.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yuns also trains at one of the biggest BJJ gyms in a city of 8 million people, just for context.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I love that they have attendance cards. It seems silly at first but it makes real sense

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yuns also trains at one of the biggest BJJ gyms in a city of 8 million people, just for context.

Sure but that's almost as many black belts than some city's metro areas even have, and that's just for the morning crew.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is there any reason why so many people got promotions this past weekend or it just happened that way?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I like this Quintet format. Could be fun.
It's super promising. Eliminating both grapplers if there's a draw seems like a great way to motivate people to finish.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odddzy posted:

Is there any reason why so many people got promotions this past weekend or it just happened that way?
It's when Renzo could get up in the am. Seriously. We had a lot of long time brown belts who were already discussed for promotion but Renzo wanted to do it personally. Enough had built up that it was a good opportunity to award some dudes who were overdue.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Neon Belly posted:

Sure but that's almost as many black belts than some city's metro areas even have, and that's just for the morning crew.
We have over 1200 students just at the main Manhattan academy not counting Brooklyn or any other satellite.and we've been around for more than 20 years so we have a ton of guys with 10+ years of BJJ.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah I don't think my hometown got a black belt until like... 2005.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

This has probably been asked 1000 times before, but, what's a good number of hours to train a week? Right now I'm at 4 and it's fine. I'm not sure if I could do more though. This is just a hobby for me, I would like to get a blue belt in a year. Thanks.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

This has probably been asked 1000 times before, but, what's a good number of hours to train a week? Right now I'm at 4 and it's fine. I'm not sure if I could do more though. This is just a hobby for me, I would like to get a blue belt in a year. Thanks.

for you it looks like that number is 4

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Go to class as many times as you want to, but try to get in at least one hour a week every week your gym is open. You'll get your blue belt, hopefully when you "git gud" enough to get one and no one can predict when that is so just strap in and enjoy the ride. Obviously you'll get better faster the more time you put into it, but I feel most people who do this as a hobby and don't have lofty aspirations about being the open weight champ probably fit somewhere between two and four hours per week on the mat.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 13, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys have blackbelts at your gyms? The only gyms I've been to are ran by a brown belt (now a black belt) and a purple belt. Granted they are in rear end end nowhere so that's also a factor.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

You guys have blackbelts at your gyms? The only gyms I've been to are ran by a brown belt and a purple belt. Granted they are in rear end end nowhere so that's also a factor.

I'd like to say all gyms in the Atlanta area have at least one full time black belt at their gym.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Yuns posted:

We have over 1200 students just at the main Manhattan academy not counting Brooklyn or any other satellite.and we've been around for more than 20 years so we have a ton of guys with 10+ years of BJJ.

Total Mcdojo

(Kidding, I have a black belt in envy)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

7 of my friends and teammates in the morning gi class were promoted to black belt by Renzo this morning.

Dope, congrats to them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah that's super cool about people getting promotions, and I'd be lying if denied having a fantasy this evening about just rearranging my whole life to move to NYC to be able to just train at Renzos and play board games in my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

NYC has quality schools so densely packed. You can get out at Penn Station and walk to Renzo's, Marcelo's and Unity (Miyao's) in just a few blocks.