Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

After feeling smug about avoiding the upgrade trap on Ninian I upgraded Light Breath instead of Lightning Breath on Fae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I wanted to five star a Subaki to give Selena QR3, but then I realized that I'm out of Subakis. Don't think I've pulled one in the last month or so, so that could take a while longer. However I did pull a +SPD Athena a while ago and on a whim I decided to do this:

Actually Fury might have been good for her too since her DEF/RES is pretty decent, but too late for that. Not sure if I want to put more feathers into her. I do have a lot of Athenas for potential merges, but I also want to make a really buff Selena, and once I pull more Felicias I want to finish getting her to +10.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

cheetah7071 posted:

For whatever reason in 708-718 arena by far the majority of DCs I see are on lances
is there any other way to get DC other than 5 star hector? Seems like a hard skill to track down.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Washout posted:

is there any other way to get DC other than 5 star hector? Seems like a hard skill to track down.

Some units have unique weapons with DC (and dragons can do it with lightning breath) but otherwise no.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So are weapon refines transferrable? I thought they could only be used with the original unit? Does that mean I wasted a gordin brave bow because I didn't upgrade it first (if you can)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So are weapon refines transferrable? I thought they could only be used with the original unit? Does that mean I wasted a gordin brave bow because I didn't upgrade it first (if you can)

Minor evolved weapons can be transferred, like Guard bow or slaying weapons if upgraded from assassin or killer
Refined weapons can only be merged into same units.
Divine evolved weapons can't be transferred but I think they can be merged just fine.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Brave Bows aren't refinable.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
What's the difference between 4 and 5 star? Just a few points and access to 5 star skills? Cause I don't have a 5 star dancer and I'm sitting on a 4 star Olivia.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BrightWing posted:

What's the difference between 4 and 5 star? Just a few points and access to 5 star skills? Cause I don't have a 5 star dancer and I'm sitting on a 4 star Olivia.

Yeah it's just the skills and around 2 points in every stat.

Dancers are definitely units that work fine at lower rarities since they are rarely fighting.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

rannum posted:

Minor evolved weapons can be transferred, like Guard bow or slaying weapons if upgraded from assassin or killer
Refined weapons can only be merged into same units.
Divine evolved weapons can't be transferred but I think they can be merged just fine.

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by minor evolved weapons? Is that how people are getting lightning breath++ onto Ninian (which btw what's her preferred IV?)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by minor evolved weapons? Is that how people are getting lightning breath++ onto Ninian (which btw what's her preferred IV?)

Things like the killer weapons can be evolved into slayer weapons. I should have said something like non divine. Since the end result is a normal weapon, you can transfer it to other units.
Lightning breath++ is a refinement of lb+. So if you want it on Ninian you need to give her lb+ to her then refine it.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Dragon meta is making arena tough this week for me. Nino can't handle either Tiki and has some trouble with Fae (assuming all +10, steady breath, etc.). I might have to invest in a dedicated anti-dragon unit instead of having Xander around.

Should I just grab Lucina or something?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Masked marth does fine as well, just don't let her take any magic hits before engaging the dragons.
Also watch out for nowi.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Dragon meta is making arena tough this week for me. Nino can't handle either Tiki and has some trouble with Fae (assuming all +10, steady breath, etc.). I might have to invest in a dedicated anti-dragon unit instead of having Xander around.

Should I just grab Lucina or something?

Why are you trying to kill red dragons with Nino in the first place? Where is your blue unit?

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

The Biggest Jerk posted:

As a rule of thumb, if it costs 20 Refining Stones to upgrade, then the resulting weapon can be inherited by a different unit. If it costs 50 Stones, then it can only be merged into another hero.

As for Ninian, IVs don't matter that much since she shouldn't really be in combat in the first place. I think +SPD would be ideal? Mine is +DEF with Triangle Advantage and she can duel Black Knights like a champ.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think this is the first time in a while there hasn't been a VG or TT or anything going on once I finish my Arena Duels for the day

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
My face when I realise that my flier team technically needs 3 Speed Seals.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

loquacius posted:

I think this is the first time in a while there hasn't been a VG or TT or anything going on once I finish my Arena Duels for the day

old chain challenges

I mean, unless you've finished almost all of those that you actually want to finish, in which case yeah

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

loquacius posted:

This dead time is only increasing my indecisiveness.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Natural 20 posted:

My face when I realise that my flier team technically needs 3 Speed Seals.

This is why hone fliers is really important and I'm glad we just had a straight up 30+ day long period where you could try to whale for it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Emalde posted:

This is why hone fliers is really important and I'm glad we just had a straight up 30+ day long period where you could try to whale for it.

No, even with that my team still needs 3 Speed Seals.

Firesweep Cordelia needs it otherwise there are Ayra and Mia variants that can avoid a double.
Whale Camilla needs it, otherwise she loses doubles on +Spd mages.
HNowi needs it because of faster armour characters.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Honestly I feel like Cordelia is perfectly fine with a brave Lance DB3 or TA3 build so I don't know why you'd work so hard for a sidegrade

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Honestly I feel like Cordelia is perfectly fine with a brave Lance DB3 or TA3 build so I don't know why you'd work so hard for a sidegrade

I have a +SPD Cordelia who I had on Firesweep for a while but ended up switching back to BL+ and I think I like it better

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

If you take the Brave DB3 build vs. Firesweep:

Assumptions: Cordy gets two hits on a Brave and Doubles with the correct Firesweep build.

Firesweep has 7 MT on a Brave lance.

Firesweep Cordy runs +Spd, Brave runs +Str so brave Cordy gains 3 STR.

Brave Cordy gets DB3 instead of L&D3, so gets another 1 STR.

Finally Brave Cordy gets a +3 Str Seal against firesweep Cordy's +3 Spd seal.

So Firesweep will hit for 1 MT more, but also does stuff like grant your team immunity to vantage and lets her hit for chip damage on stuff like armoured greens. (Incidentally she's also 11 Spd faster which means she actually survives a lot more matches due to avoiding doubles)

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

Why are you trying to kill red dragons with Nino in the first place? Where is your blue unit?

I'm not running one :ssh:

2 reds / 1 green / 1 colorless

I suppose I could swap reinhardt in, he's only +1 so that's probably nerfing my score.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

your reds and/or colorlesses should be able to handle tiki, then

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

If you take the Brave DB3 build vs. Firesweep:

Assumptions: Cordy gets two hits on a Brave and Doubles with the correct Firesweep build.

Firesweep has 7 MT on a Brave lance.

Firesweep Cordy runs +Spd, Brave runs +Str so brave Cordy gains 3 STR.

Brave Cordy gets DB3 instead of L&D3, so gets another 1 STR.

Finally Brave Cordy gets a +3 Str Seal against firesweep Cordy's +3 Spd seal.

So Firesweep will hit for 1 MT more, but also does stuff like grant your team immunity to vantage and lets her hit for chip damage on stuff like armoured greens. (Incidentally she's also 11 Spd faster which means she actually survives a lot more matches due to avoiding doubles)

Assuming that firesweep doubles is a pretty big assumption in a meta where units like Ayra and Nino are common and probably have more merges than your units since you are probably not a whale.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 13, 2017

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I don't think Cordelia has the kind of defensive stats where you'd risk her taking a hit in any situation anyway (22 def, 25 res, one is probably going to be your bane)and I don't know why you're hitting green armors with a blue unit but you do you

I don't run flier emblem as my main team but for quests and arena assault, I one-shot stuff then reposition or draw back to safety so that's where I'm coming from

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Just use Goad Fliers, fliers can easily position themselves to take advantage of Goad thanks to them ignoring terrains.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Andrast posted:

Assuming that firesweep doubles is a pretty big assumption in a meta where units like Ayra and Nino are common and probably have more merges than your units since you are probably not a whale.

The Ayras I've seen overwhelmingly use swift sparrow over L&D and Mias overwhelmingly favour flashing blade. Additionally, I've seen a Speed seal all of once since most run Phantom Speed instead.

With that being as it is a +0 Firesweep Cordelia will double them at +10 using flier buffs. (also normal buffs /w Summoner Support)

With normal buffs Cordy will double a +5.

Given that I think it's a reasonable enough assumption to make.

I don't think Cordelia has the kind of defensive stats where you'd risk her taking a hit in any situation anyway (22 def, 25 res, one is probably going to be your bane)and I don't know why you're hitting green armors with a blue unit but you do you

I don't run flier emblem as my main team but for quests and arena assault, I one-shot stuff then reposition or draw back to safety so that's where I'm coming from

A unit needs upwards of 62 attack to kill Firesweep Cordelia, nothing in the game is doubling her without lancebreaker. It basically means she can eat a hit from a blue or red and live to tell the tale. That's fairly useful as a tool for baiting units into place and if you gently caress up your positioning.

Yvaine
May 28, 2013
Update on my +atk Lucius: he's so good.

Once he has the correct damage sponge in front of him, he obliterated every difficulty level of the new maps. Even ryo's awful one. I can't wait to +3 him once I have the feathers for it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I mean, if you're comparing your fully buffed units to enemy units that are apparently not running buffs, ploys, brave weapons, or dancers of course you're going to have favorable match ups

But if it works for you, it works for you

Also peep this Lucius, dude above me

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

You don't really need to calculate buffs on enemy melee infantry units like Ayra and Mia, their threat range is very small and you have a lot of time to break their formation and prevent their buffs

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
after much consideration/time spent being bored whilst pooing, i have decided that fury is probably the ideal a slot skill for lyn because it maximizes her mixed bulk, which is actually quite decent, and gives her enough speed to consistently not get doubled, plus the 6dmg tick almost guarantees she drops into the own zone after tanking a single hit. my ideal lyn looks like:

+atk/-hp
brash katti
flex
moonbow
fury 3
wrath 3
flex
atk +3

will i ever pulling the mythical +atk lyn? No

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

AverySpecialfriend posted:

after much consideration/time spent being bored whilst pooing, i have decided that fury is probably the ideal a slot skill for lyn because it maximizes her mixed bulk, which is actually quite decent, and gives her enough speed to consistently not get doubled, plus the 6dmg tick almost guarantees she drops into the own zone after tanking a single hit. my ideal lyn looks like:

+atk/-hp
brash katti
flex
moonbow
fury 3
wrath 3
flex
atk +3

will i ever pulling the mythical +atk lyn? No

I just got a +health/-res Lyn so this build looks pretty good (just gotta wait until I get enough dew)

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
pretty much any non -atk lyn is usable since with brash katti she basically only uses spd as a defensive stat. i use fury/swift sparrow/l&d interchangeably depending on my mood but the problem with swift sparrow is it leaves u open to eating doubles vs l&d leaves u open to getting one shot. but they're all good as long as u have wrath which is 100% mandatory for a tricked out lyn build bc she lacks the dmg for orkos otherwise

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm surprised at how useful close-defense seal Fjorm has been. I had to stick with most of her default kit for the SP scoring boost, since I don't have a spare Aether/Galeforce lying around, but close-defense seal Fjorm with a fortify defense buff can survive QP-Moonbow Neph. Of course, she doesn't counter-kill Neph, leaving you open to WoM, but Fjorm's mixed defenses synergize well with the bond skills. If they release Atk/Res bond on a not-seasonal unit, I could see the bond skills become meta.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Double Post, ignore it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My Fjorm has mostly been a reposition bot in the arena but she did pretty well in my AA run too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What B skill does Lyn want if I don't have access to wrath