Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and then a citation of a CVE number, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

how old is that xps13, they don't look like that at all anymore...

(and i think they only use nvme drives now, hence the caddy question)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its a e5450

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lmao of course the Linux on the desktop thread devolves into counting how many screws your laptop has to defend your purchase

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the dell n4010 is the superior computer as to remove the hard drive you must remove forty screws, the top of the case, the keyboard, and the logic board. the drive is screwed to the underside of the logic board and there is no way to access it from beneath.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it looks like this one is easy to replace the power jack on, take the back off, 2 screws plus some mini molex looking wire. on the thinkpad you took the heatpipe assembly and logic board out.

i got linux installed, it was just a few bios options. text rendering looks good

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my dell precision requires that you remove the CPU heatsink to clean out the GPU fan

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
whos the dumbass at gnome that decided copying the retarded "extract here" default behavior for archive files from mac was a good idea. yeah let's poo poo the files without prompting the user and with no way to unfuck the directory that's a smart idea.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
because they're maintaining a consistent user experience across linuxes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

like every zip program does that, unless you mean you double click a zip and it instantly extracts to the folder its in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's what hes talking about. you double click and its unzipped immediately into the current folder w/out further prompt.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i just tried it and it doesn't do that on fedora 27

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hifi posted:

like every zip program does that, unless you mean you double click a zip and it instantly extracts to the folder its in

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's what hes talking about. you double click and its unzipped immediately into the current folder w/out further prompt.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

this is expected behavior. when you double click any other file or folder it opens. opening a zip file is no different. thats literally what the "opening" metaphor means

righ click or don't use sloppily compressed files that don't have a parent folder, wontfix

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Last Chance posted:

this is expected behavior. when you double click any other file or folder it opens. opening a zip file is no different. thats literally what the "opening" metaphor means

righ click or don't use sloppily compressed files that don't have a parent folder, wontfix

you open a envelope and the letter is still in the envelope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
opening a zip file doesn't mean puke it all over the current folder. it should either open in the shell as a subfolder (the way Explorer does it) or if you have a 3rd party tool it should open inside that app (like 7zip or WinRAR)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I would expect it to open in some archiving program and display the contents, not dump them all over disk.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the awesome part of this is that gnome has a functional and easy to use archive program. the change was unnecessary.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe you are using ubuntu

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hifi posted:

maybe you are using ubuntu

nope, this is default behavior in gnome 3 under fedora (which is basically red hat with serial number filed off afaik)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont know what model xps13 we have in our office but they suck rear end to take apart

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rhythmbox is really bad. it's got party mode which i thought was some kind of visualization so i had to try it, only it maximizes your screen and you cant access the gnomebar for it and i had to google how to exit it (it's f11, i am stupid). does the space bar pause or play whatever song the cursor is under? i dunno

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

foobar works though :razorfront:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

whos the dumbass at gnome that decided copying the retarded "extract here" default behavior for archive files from mac was a good idea. yeah let's poo poo the files without prompting the user and with no way to unfuck the directory that's a smart idea.

lmao no, the mac version creates a folder with the same name as the archive and puts everything in there

please stop making poo poo up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's new because it used to just poo poo it out right in the current folder

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

lmao no, the mac version creates a folder with the same name as the archive and puts everything in there

please stop making poo poo up

since when?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its also possible hes looking at an archive where the first level is a folder with the same name as the archive.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it has for a while

e: at least since mountain lion, released in 2012. i have a mountain lion vm (dont ask why) and it made a folder

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 14, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

its also possible hes looking at an archive where the first level is a folder with the same name as the archive.

nope

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

nope, this is default behavior in gnome 3 under fedora (which is basically red hat with serial number filed off afaik)

not exactly, fedora is basically the dev version of red hat. when they do a new version of rhel, they fork fedora, change a few things about the default config to make for a more stable and sane system, and then don't update any of the packages other than bugfixes/security patches.

centos is rhel with the serial numbers filed off

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Last Chance posted:

quoting this again because just lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Last Chance posted:

"And the answer is none. None more Linux GNU/Linux"

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ok i dont think you guys are insane anymore. i don't have the option on my machine at all though.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ugh linux looks like loving garbage

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Soricidus posted:

quoting this again because just lol

quoting this dumbass who wants to waste time in an archiving app lol. "yea i like to step through extracting a file, to get that authentic winzip 97 feel"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wheres the wine guy at. foobar goes back and forth between tracks when i swipe my trackpad. when i plug a mouse in it doesnt

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Last Chance posted:

quoting this dumbass who wants to waste time in an archiving app lol. "yea i like to step through extracting a file, to get that authentic winzip 97 feel"

actually I just use unzip or tar xf as appropriate, because I’m not terrified of computers, but nice try

the correct behaviour for an intuitive gui is what windows does for zip files, though: treat archives as folders you can just browse into and copy stuff out of if you want. simple, transparent, never accidentally leaves a million unwanted files scattered across your home directory

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As 2017 draws to a close, it's been 6.66 years since GNOME 3 was first released.

And with Ubuntu even recently being so bold as to fold Unity into being a GNOME skin, a reasonable person might think "hey, this software you hated in 2011, 2012, and 2014 ... it probably is more mature now".

Two weeks of GNOME 3 later, which ended this afternoon after it crashed me back to the login screen for the third time of the day (and I know from previous experience to avoid the folly of gnome-shell extensions) ... In a word:

Nope!

I'd been trying to use KDE in 2017 but I accidentally picked my MATE session instead and I think I'm in love all over again. It was my palpable relief that made that decision for me.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm, me in the summer after taking the better part of a year off work:

James Baud posted:

I still can't get over how badly GNOME 2 got screwed up by people who thought anyone wanted their desktop experience to be touch friendly, or whatever they thought.

I can't even use MATE any more because they shifted to GTK3 and got things like:
- the abomination of a file chooser with brilliant design decision of dropping path completion from type-ahead search unless you prefixed everything with "./". And there's something else, but I've forgotten in the intervening year.
- gnome3-UI for gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or whatever, which recently went from just being gross window controls to "you used to like browsing for these settings you kinda know the feel of because you've been tweaking them every fresh install for fifteen years? screw you, we'll break browsing so you need to google for their locations".

(I actually was a pretty active GNOME contributor for a few years way back when.)

Are those stormclouds in my happy place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol people use linux at home