Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Thank you goons, thank you CIG, thank you Derek. This thread brings me life. I eagerly await the book/film/off-broadway retellings of this sordid saga, as I imagine there will be many.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the broadway version will just be a modified script of The Producers

its actually pretty close

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HycoCam posted:

CIG is going to claim: Game? What game?

You know how Chris lies when he does interviews, when he switches tenses to say that X or Y is in the game already.
This could be used as evidence against him couldn't it?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Well, I have chosen the absolute worst time to skip to the end of the thread.

Anyone have a link to the page where it starts?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
CIG are pushing new boundaries, first they introduced Shrink Goals, an industry first where the more money raised = fewer features
Now they are once more pushing boundaries with Crowdfucking - They spread the burden of being sued amongst all backers in what will surely be another huge milestone

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MinorInconvenience posted:

If what is alleged is true, it’ll never get to a jury. They’ll win on summary judgment. Too much indisputable material fact out there. The “most transparent development ever” has seen to that.

At what stage would a judge have enough information to make a summary judgement? Do they make them sua sponte, or only in response to a motion for summary judgement?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the broadway version will just be a modified script of The Producers

Springtime for Roberts and CIG...

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Crazypoops posted:

Some music for getting through the thread today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxI4KK9ZYo

Somehow, although it being good music, it doesn't feel right. This thread right now needs some serious poo poo with 180 BPM at least. Some hardcore on dope kinda.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MinorInconvenience posted:

I agree. But I can't tell if it is prescriptive or proscriptive language from the selections presented in the complaint. For the illiterate, I don't know if it is language granting CIG permission to do something or requiring CIG to do something.

Once again I'll point you toward the word "exclusively". They either made Star Citizen with CryEngine or they ponied up the full price for the license up front. It's an exclusive deal, exclusive meaning 'excluding all other parties'

Nobody else was invited to the CIG/CryTek party but Chris went and got in bed with Amazon

Also you're lost, licenses don't require you to do anything, you need an order for that. e- licenses are always ALWAYS restrictive.

e2 - Licenses tell you what you *cannot* do

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

notoriousman posted:

try going back about 14 or 19 pages.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

notoriousman posted:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I hope Chris makes a statement. A video would be stupendous.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

notoriousman posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3053#post479309692

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

mjotto posted:

Somehow, although it being good music, it doesn't feel right. This thread right now needs some serious poo poo with 180 BPM at least. Some hardcore on dope kinda.

Come To Derek Daddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9UvrLyj3k

alternatively, this genius right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtS8onGBYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R9_MBfq5RM

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 14, 2017

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

serious norman posted:

is the game out yet?

2 weeks. For real this time. Derek is currently typing a blog about it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mjotto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUN9sX86ZwA&t=4s

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Congrats to the CIG guy whose name I've already forgotten, for getting his broken engine drama covered up by an even bigger drama.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
There's pre-page 3000 thread and post-page 3000 thread. There's pre-Skadden CIG and that's all.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Holy poo poo. Still posting from the past and I see why. This is wild.

TheAgent posted:

who wants to go drinking in LA with me when they shut down the CIG office in santa monica lol

I'm so down for this, I'm already in DTLA on a daily basis. We can go high-five skadden's office while we're at it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean, Crytek must have been helping with development more than a regular licensee/licensor agreement because CIG didnt have the people to make a tech demo to sell the dream to initially. Crytek must have gone into a contract in a similar way that a publisher goes into one with developer. Instead of giving them cash they gave them people and the tech to make the product.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm enjoying the star citizen defense force hitting the "crytek is just desperate for cash" angle hard, while ignoring the actual claims and the very real big scary law firm involved.

Some of these guys will still be making GBS threads up the comments after CIG goes down, insistent that the game is coming any day now.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

No, that's to creepy (the first one). More like this I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgnzKol6bY

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I don't think backers have it in their heads yet that CIG is hopelessly outclassed by this company. "Go get 'em, Ortwin!" isn't going to cut it.

From the start, CIG was an anomaly, a cripplingly inept ex-game "developer" CEO propped up by a contingent of mentally damaged man-children. The company itself was barely a parody of a true game development studio; a Potemkin Village of incredible ineptitude and inability in nearly every way; a cargo cult at best. What little they "developed" was a laughable mess and couldn't even be called a tech demo by its most generous definition, since tech demo's typically demonstrate technology: a feat that continues to elude CIG.

This lawsuit isn't some rural part-time lawyer helping some kid get a refund. This is a behemoth of a company with heavy kills notched into its belt - of real companies, not ephemeral wish-fulfillment fantasies like CIG. The Reddit internet-lawyer brigade will not have an effect here, nor will "Go get 'em Ortwin!"

This is likely to turn into a bloodbath in ways we're not even anticipating, or they wouldn't have even looked at this case.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

SomethingJones posted:

Once again I'll point you toward the word "exclusively". They either made Star Citizen with CryEngine or they ponied up the full price for the license up front. It's an exclusive deal, exclusive meaning 'excluding all other parties'

Nobody else was invited to the CIG/CryTek party but Chris went and got in bed with Amazon

Also you're lost, licenses don't require you to do anything, you need an order for that. e- licenses are always ALWAYS restrictive.

e2 - Licenses tell you what you *cannot* do

Okay, fine. But CIG decided to terminate the license. Then CIG went with someone else (Amazon). The language quoted does not clearly state that CIG could not just stop using CryEngine. That's what I want to see.

Golli posted:

At what stage would a judge have enough information to make a summary judgement? Do they make them sua sponte, or only in response to a motion for summary judgement?

I'd move shortly after CIG filed their answer. Might be delayed a bit if CIG can come up with a convincing Fed.R.Civ.P 56(d) argument to delay consideration until after discovery is completed. I dunno.

Edit: And summary judgment is by motion. Court can’t do it sua sponte. And I’m guessing you know that.

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 14, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

poo poo man all the pieces are falling together. Bootcha was promised a portion of the final pie when everything was done right? And Crytek def provided more as an entity than him, so whos to say they didnt offer them a portion too? Did they think switching engines will suddenly mean they weren't obligated to follow up on an agreement?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

mjotto posted:

No, that's to creepy (the first one). More like this I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgnzKol6bY

Hmmm reminds me of far too many very strange nights and very odd early mornings trying to find which multiverse I left the part of my brain that remembers who I am and what all this is

That last track I posted there is my very favourite Squarepusher track Tetra Sync - it is cleansing - let it fill you and move you

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Need some Autechre that just sounds like a bunch of Stimperical machinery banging together for several minutes.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

Crowdfucking

:magical:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mjotto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKtBJFXip9o

alternatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPREORdH900

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

alphabettitouretti posted:

I'm enjoying the star citizen defense force hitting the "crytek is just desperate for cash" angle hard, while ignoring the actual claims and the very real big scary law firm involved.

Some of these guys will still be making GBS threads up the comments after CIG goes down, insistent that the game is coming any day now.

I always knew the backers would blame anyone but CIG in the end, but I always thought they'd blame us and Derek. Now Crytek has taken that away from us

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

hosed.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Hmmm reminds me of far too many very strange nights and very odd early mornings trying to find which multiverse I left the part of my brain that remembers who I am and what all this is

That last track I posted there is my very favourite Squarepusher track Tetra Sync - it is cleansing - let it fill you and move you

Feels like it's having the right beat though. Like this thread, going places at the speed of light.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The SQ42 holiday stream is going to be really good.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Good

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Apparently that's the lower limit for such a thing, it has to be above that amount, like a bar.

Everyone has been googling the law firm though and it turns out they won't look you in the eye for less than a grand an hour so this is pretty major stuff. Also what the gently caress are CIG thinking not settling this before it gets filed into the public domain, they clearly CLEARLY don't have the cash

Yeah. I can tell the firm is for real because their name sounds like something someone made up for a sitcom. Only a badass lawfirm would dare have a name like SKADDEN, ARPS, SLATE, MEAGHER & FLOM. I mean, Flom? That's the real poo poo, right there.

I figured the $75,000 was a floor amount, since they kept saying how the damages were in excess of that number. I was wondering if any more solid figure had actually been mentioned.

It is telling that they let the situation devolve to this point. There's no way they just woke up one day and were getting sued. They definitely had lots of back-and-forth with Crytek before we got here. They probably had tons of time and opportunity to make this right. I wonder if they even wanted to. "Monster corporation hired evil law firm to squash the indie developer" is a pretty good narrative to explain away your failure. I also wonder if it got to this point purely because Chris thinks he's too smart to be beaten, of if it's more nuanced than that.

AlbieQuirky posted:

There is not. The $75,000 figure is a qualification for the suit to be heard in a Federal court (baseline set by Congress in the 1990s). Could be $75,001, could be millions of dollars.

I guessed that was the situation, but I was hoping for a little teaser on just how badly they're trying to ream the Robertses.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Foo Diddley posted:

I always knew the backers would blame anyone but CIG in the end, but I always thought they'd blame us and Derek. Now Crytek has taken that away from us

Stolen valor

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Gosh, I look away for a while and suddenly NEWS happens.

It turns out that there really was more and it really was worse.

I'm now left wondering how many of the most dedicated whales band together to fund the settlement.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

It's good but it's no Tundra4 or Port Rhombus.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Hell yeah! That's how the thread feels. Derek has brought us life. Again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Arent there 2 other lawsuits or something waiting in the wings? I think Dereck smart said that.