Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is like a 50 point raw loving. I guess the worst part of this is that the dreamers will think their dream was only stopped by greedy corporations and if they hadn't dared to try and make their savior fulfill his contractual obligations they would have gotten the Space Matrix they always wanted.

:sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

spacetoaster posted:

So, I said in the OP that it's the end times for CIG.

The legal stuff has begun: https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

And will probably take a while to fully come to an end.

Let's lol a bit.

Ehhhh this is just a contract dispute with Crytek and has nothing to do with how much of a huge loving scam the game is, how Roberts is a piece of poo poo, etc. Crytek appears to be mad that CIG is using its tech in Squadron 42 (seems like a legit question whether it counts as a separate game or not), that CIG isn't displaying their logo enough (who cares), and that CIG switched horses to Lumberyard (potentially a reasonable beef).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bold Robot posted:

Ehhhh this is just a contract dispute with Crytek and has nothing to do with how much of a huge loving scam the game is, how Roberts is a piece of poo poo, etc. Crytek appears to be mad that CIG is using its tech in Squadron 42 (seems like a legit question whether it counts as a separate game or not), that CIG isn't displaying their logo enough (who cares), and that CIG switched horses to Lumberyard (potentially a reasonable beef).

"all that's in question in this lawsuit are these three huge and obvious breaches of contract, i don't see how that's a big deal at all"

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

food court bailiff posted:

"all that's in question in this lawsuit are these three huge and obvious breaches of contract, i don't see how that's a big deal at all"

Without reading the GLA/contract it's hard to say whether these are huge and obvious. This is one side of the story and if the complaint didn't make it sound completely like a slam dunk for Crytek their lawyers wouldn't be doing a very good job. This is not some kind of headshot where Roberts is getting loving owned, this looks like a pretty standard breach of contract action.

My point is that even if all of this is true, what does it have to do with the end user? Star Citizen is funny as gently caress because Roberts took $160 million of nerds' money and will never deliver anything close to what they want. Whether CIG is displaying Crytek's logo big enough is hard to get excited about.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I know when I fill out an extensive legal contract with lawyers present dealing with branding and marketing of my product it's perfectly fine to respond "Who Cares" when sued in a court of law for breaching the contract for removing my branding and not marketing my product. Precedent: Nobody v Anyone Ever

I also know the bank is going to be perfectly fine with the game I used as Collateral for millions of dollars of loans are the subject of lawsuits. Who cares.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They are making a different game with their engine which they are not allowed to do. Did you read any of that legal stuff posted above?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Without reading the GLA/contract it's hard to say whether these are huge and obvious. This is one side of the story and if the complaint didn't make it sound completely like a slam dunk for Crytek their lawyers wouldn't be doing a very good job.

my man i read multiple complaints, briefs and random court filings on scribd every day just because i really like how hard lawyers can clown on people, and let me tell you, this is absolutely a slam dunk for Crytek

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

my man i read multiple complaints, briefs and random court filings on scribd every day just because i really like how hard lawyers can clown on people, and let me tell you, this is absolutely a slam dunk for Crytek

Well Croberts did an ingenious thing - he renamed his licensed CryEngine to StarEngine and removed all the logos to avoid all the royalties. This guy is really pulling himself up by the bootstraps and taking his tiny indie studio of volunteers to the next level! Evil engine licensers, your days are numbered!!!

"One weird trick this ex-car salesman did to save MILLIONS on engine licensing fees. He has corporate lawyers fuming!!!"

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 13, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

lol did he really do that

I can't tell what's real anymore

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's a video CIG posted TODAY.

Take a look at those error messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3zwjVMP3A&t=50s

:lol:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Fartbox posted:

lol did he really do that

I can't tell what's real anymore

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Engine

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

Here's a video CIG posted TODAY.

Take a look at those error messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3zwjVMP3A&t=50s

:lol:

"CryEngine warning" lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fartbox posted:

"CryEngine warning" lol

That's beautiful.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
lay your weary engine to rest
don't you cry[engine] no more

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Has anyone posted Croberts failing miserably at playing his own game yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

seems like a legit question whether it counts as a separate game or not

It's a legit question whether selling one thing separately from another thing makes them separate things?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Stale Saltines posted:

Has anyone posted Croberts failing miserably at playing his own game yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Twenty loving minutes for him to walk down some empty lifeless hallways in order to enter a ship and then awkwardly fart off into space

Certainly seems like a thrilling gaming experience. Even he looks bored senseless by it and even utters "Exciting stuff huh?" ironically at one point like he's dissing his own game

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

ArmA is definitely a thing you want to play online with friends; either people you know in person, or a good group of reliable internet friends. Playing it solo the sheer size of the game, amount of downtime, and lack of accomplishment can quite often be frustrating and lead to you getting bored pretty quick. The campaign isnt bad, but not worth the price tag, multiplayer is where that game shines.

Arma III has a dungeon master mode called Zeus which lets you up-end the box of army men wherever you want on the map for your friends to play with. It takes someone with the will to do it, but you (as Zeus) can give them a little mission over here while fiddling with making something more complicated or triggering reinforcements over there. Then, you can drop a friendly soldier into the game, possess it, and fight alongside your buddies, or do the same with an enemy and shoot at them instead. Or you can roleplay a hostage and help them rescue you. Really, whatever you wanna do. It's super cool, even though it's still arma and is generally a pain in the rear end to convince it to be a fun game.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Rad Russian posted:

Well Croberts did an ingenious thing - he renamed his licensed CryEngine to StarEngine and removed all the logos to avoid all the royalties. This guy is really pulling himself up by the bootstraps and taking his tiny indie studio of volunteers to the next level! Evil engine licensers, your days are numbered!!!

"One weird trick this ex-car salesman did to save MILLIONS on engine licensing fees. He has corporate lawyers fuming!!!"
I so hope we get good coverage of the actual trial.

"Your honour, it is plain to see that my client actually did the plaintiff a favour by not associating them or their game engine with the Star Citizen brand. CryTek is in a better position today than they would be if their name or trademarks had appeared in the works of my client. Thus it no actual damages were incurred."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bistromatic posted:

I so hope we get good coverage of the actual trial.

"Your honour, it is plain to see that my client actually did the plaintiff a favour by not associating them or their game engine with the Star Citizen brand. CryTek is in a better position today than they would be if their name or trademarks had appeared in the works of my client. Thus it no actual damages were incurred."

"Your honor. We can't possibly be guilty because there is no evidence of a game."

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

doctorfrog posted:

Arma III has a dungeon master mode called Zeus which lets you up-end the box of army men wherever you want on the map for your friends to play with. It takes someone with the will to do it, but you (as Zeus) can give them a little mission over here while fiddling with making something more complicated or triggering reinforcements over there. Then, you can drop a friendly soldier into the game, possess it, and fight alongside your buddies, or do the same with an enemy and shoot at them instead. Or you can roleplay a hostage and help them rescue you. Really, whatever you wanna do. It's super cool, even though it's still arma and is generally a pain in the rear end to convince it to be a fun game.

I always figured the next nerd who could come up with an easy game where friends can tailor the game experience for eachother would be the next nerd millionaire. Like a D&D game, but a videogame... so you have one or multiple guys (game masters) setting up the world and interfering/building/possessing and spawning monsters and poo poo... all sorts of stuff while a group of players quest/fight/adventure through it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fartbox posted:

I always figured the next nerd who could come up with an easy game where friends can tailor the game experience for eachother would be the next nerd millionaire. Like a D&D game, but a videogame... so you have one or multiple guys (game masters) setting up the world and interfering/building/possessing and spawning monsters and poo poo... all sorts of stuff while a group of players quest/fight/adventure through it

Now that would be a cool game. Basically something like Baulder's Gate but you can create the dialog/quests/etc and have the DM create events on the go and stuff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

divinity original sin 2 has not one but two different modes that do exactly what you nerds are talking about, differing mostly in how much prep work is required beforehand

the reason it hasn't taken the world by storm yet is because in general people have way shittier ideas for games than they actually think, same reason the nwn stuff always stayed so niche

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I loved Neverwinter Nights and played online a bit (not the MMO). It wasn't too bad actually. You just have to find a good persistent server.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

No woman, no cry[engine]

Truly a requiem for shitizens

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive been reading along with this thread and while the land stuff is funny but Im just not feeling the schadenfreude around Star Citizen in general.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I loved Neverwinter Nights and played online a bit (not the MMO). It wasn't too bad actually. You just have to find a good persistent server.

My friends and I would play on this one server together and some idiot kept using the Time Stop spell and it would freeze the entire server, not just the location he was in.

Often they'd just log out right after it too so you'd be stuck until an admin came online.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been reading along with this thread and while the land stuff is funny but Im just not feeling the schadenfreude around Star Citizen in general.

It's the same thing that happened with r/incels. You look at those people and at first you're like, "Okay these crazies are loving hilarious." Slowly you begin to realize that they are indeed mentally ill and all of a sudden you're like, "am I bad for laughing at people that obviously have some kind of serious personality disorder?" It just starts to get less funny as you notice that something so absurd it must be a joke really isn't and the only people more mentally ill than the people buying it are the people selling it.

It's just kind of numbingly disquieting.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

divinity original sin 2 has not one but two different modes that do exactly what you nerds are talking about, differing mostly in how much prep work is required beforehand

the reason it hasn't taken the world by storm yet is because in general people have way shittier ideas for games than they actually think, same reason the nwn stuff always stayed so niche

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dunno if this has been posted but Crytek is suing CIG for breach of contract over the CryEngine->Lumberyard switch :laffo:

https://kotaku.com/crytek-sues-star-citizen-makers-for-breaching-contract-1821269577

quote:

As Crytek struggled to pay its employees, a large number of staff left the company for positions at CIG’s neighboring office in Frankfurt, Germany. In December 2016, CIG announced that it had switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard engine, which is based on CryEngine—and which, ironically, may have saved Crytek from bankruptcy.

Now, in part because of that switch, Crytek is suing CIG. The lawsuit, filed in California, claims that CIG “promised, among other things, (i) to use the CryEngine game development platform exclusively and to promote that platform within the video game, (ii) to collaborate with Crytek on CryEngine development, and (iii) to take a number of steps to ensure that Crytek’s intellectual property was protected. [CIG] utterly failed to follow through on those promises, and their actions and omissions constitute breaches of contract and copyright infringement and have caused substantial harm to Crytek.”

The complaint alleges that CIG used Crytek’s engine for another game (the standalone module Squadron 42), failed to collaborate, and shared Crytek’s code with other parties, breaking confidentiality agreements. (Those other parties, according to the lawsuit, include a series of public videos called Bugsmashers and a third-party technology company called Faceware.)

When asked to comment by Kotaku, CIG sent over a statement: “We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.”

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Dunno if this has been posted but Crytek is suing CIG for breach of contract over the CryEngine->Lumberyard switch :laffo:

https://kotaku.com/crytek-sues-star-citizen-makers-for-breaching-contract-1821269577

Yeah. We're already on that. :sandance:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
CIG's press release led them confirming that they switched engines.

Amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pretty sure this is Crytek looking for an out on their financial troubles and getting really desperate. I hope this falls through and SC keeps trucking along and the cost just wrecks crytek for trying to take a petty shot at nothing to solve their problem instead of having a viable business.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

CIG's press release led them confirming that they switched engines.

Amazing.

"As you can see we are not bound by the contract because we broke it a long time ago and broken things don't work? Or something? I don't know where I was going with this one."
-The World's Most Brilliant Lawyer, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Pretty sure this is Crytek looking for an out on their financial troubles and getting really desperate. I hope this falls through and SC keeps trucking along and the cost just wrecks crytek for trying to take a petty shot at nothing to solve their problem instead of having a viable business.

Source your quotes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

tbh crytek is a really garbage company that has been going through tons of layoffs but that doesn't magically void their existing contracts

if they're looking for some cash they'll likely get it. sc is founded on taking money from stupid people, crytek could just claim turnabout

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The Skeleton King posted:

A 20 year playthrough for the Let's Players; 4 million years for everyone else.

this is a v good relativity joke that i feel people missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Crytek is a dumpster fire run by a pair of incompetent germans, who more than once has stopped giving paychecks to their employees with zero communication.

~meanwhile~

Star Citizen is a scam that cares far more about appearances -- so keeping the crytek failure stink away from themselves -- than delivering anything tangible or upholding their contracts.