Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why the gently caress do so many people (not just the reddit retards but people writing for actual gaming news sites) not understand that the ">$75,000" in all the paperwork doesn't loving mean they are looking for $75,000?

I am the furthest loving thing from a lawyer and even to me that's obviously just the cutoff for some particular special brand of legal jujitsu to be applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Eldragon posted:

Depends on the company. I've worked under three different software firms that have a "anything you code in your spare time, we own it too" clause as part of the employment contract.

I know this is getting into derail territory; but I was under the impression that much like tech non-competes, these sorts of clauses ended up being basically unenforceable.

Also they can have the sorts of poo poo I code in my spare time.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why the gently caress do so many people (not just the reddit retards but people writing for actual gaming news sites) not understand that the ">$75,000" in all the paperwork doesn't loving mean they are looking for $75,000?

I am the furthest loving thing from a lawyer and even to me that's obviously just the cutoff for some particular special brand of legal jujitsu to be applied.

They all seem to be really dumb, that video I linked has the guy thinking that, he also thinks Amazon completely bought Crytek.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

actual gaming news sites
:laffo:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/941152874817503232

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Nyast posted:

But can they afford not to settle ? If they don't then they don't have the rights to Cryengine at all, period. So they'd be forced to switch to LY. Not a slow gradual step by step upgrade, but an instant switch. There's no way they can even do that without removing access to the game from all backers during the transition period, which could take up months..

Switching engines takes the lunch break of two coders. It is canon.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

Depends on the company. I've worked under three different software firms that have a "anything you code in your spare time, we own it too" clause as part of the employment contract.

gently caress 'em, and take it to a lawyer. They're attempting to claim copyright of everything you do.

Work for Hire is covered under 17 U.S.C. chain 101 as part of copyright law. Obviously if you're not in the land of the free and the home of the brave, this is moot, but most places stop you being glorified chattels because of the whole industrial revolution.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol at them trotting out an ex crytek employee after all this

just lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Weirdly, this is leading to a generation who don't understand that coding up a little something at work for your own purposes means that the people paying you own it.

This should in general been nipped in the bud years ago. Not just code but any emails, yada yada on company time. Even in our archaic company with a dinosaur of a HR department that finds electricity bewildering we had clauses on social media and content created poo poo on the company's time or equipment was theirs (granted, I'm the one who wrote them). Boggles my mind it still happens.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Code12sMonkey/status/842082588424568832

Only we were discussing a game engine.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SoftNum posted:

I know this is getting into derail territory; but I was under the impression that much like tech non-competes, these sorts of clauses ended up being basically unenforceable.

I presume so, but who wants to take the chance/expense over litigating it?

My most recent one they later amended it to cover only "Code in a similar manner to which you do as part of employment" (paraphrasing). The fear was that someone could take their insider knowledge, write a competing program from scratch, and go into business for themselves.

And to be perfectly honest, a few of us disgruntled programmers were talking about doing exactly that. "We can rewrite this 20 year old poo poo from scratch on the weekend, then immediately steal a couple of seven figure/year accounts!"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

lol at them trotting out an ex crytek employee after all this

just lol

At least he looks happy about it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Now that I think about it, Star Citizen reminds me a lot of the post-move, pre-return Browns.

I think comparing Star Citizen and the browns is a pretty good comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Hav posted:

gently caress 'em, and take it to a lawyer. They're attempting to claim copyright of everything you do.

Work for Hire is covered under 17 U.S.C. chain 101 as part of copyright law. Obviously if you're not in the land of the free and the home of the brave, this is moot, but most places stop you being glorified chattels because of the whole industrial revolution.

Yeah. Anything on company time and/or equipment is fair game.

But what you do on your time using your property is yours.

So that sort of clause is unenforceable if not illegal.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I pledge to buy Derek Smart's book in physical form and proudly display it on my bookshelf as a penance for doubting my warlord.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Which came first, Sandi's refusal to wear her wedding ring or Chris' preoccupation with fidelity?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
...and when the wind changes you end up looking like Steve Tyler.

Forever

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mne nravitsya posted:

Well, sadly, this is bad for Star Citizen BUT this is GREATfor Chris, Sandi, and Erin. The game folds and none of them need to ever answer for anythng, because (as they will echo through eternity)

“Crytek killed it! Sorry cultists, it was going to be amazing, but Crytek killed it. I was making your dream”

So, they essetially got their perfect escape with millions in their bank accounts to retire on. And now they will laugh over it with Cigars and Cocaine in Monaco forever.

Meanwhile, we lose our favorite thread, reddit falls to tears and loses their dream. Everyone loses except the 3 amigos and their glorious piles of free money.

Don't worry, they will bankrupt themselves in no time. Sped up dramatically by Sandi taking half a week after the whale oil well is cut off.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/941333463772401666

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
https://i.imgur.com/vyVKsgE.gifv

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

My most recent one they later amended it to cover only "Code in a similar manner to which you do as part of employment" (paraphrasing). The fear was that someone could take their insider knowledge, write a competing program from scratch, and go into business for themselves.

And to be perfectly honest, a few of us disgruntled programmers were talking about doing exactly that. "We can rewrite this 20 year old poo poo from scratch on the weekend, then immediately steal a couple of seven figure/year accounts!"

You fall into the 'derivative works' category if you do that; there's a claim, but who the hell bothers because explaining to the judge the difference between your Observer pattern and the Plaintiff's Observer pattern is an immediate loser.

It's why most of this poo poo concentrates around the agreements rather than the nitty-gritty of code. In our case he lifted an entire repo that he wasn't actually supposed to have, so it was fairly easy to prosecute.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941348685518163968

*2 weeks+

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
While I do thoroughly enjoy watching this go down (and I don't really dare to believe that CIG is going to be shut down over this until it actually happens) it feels bad that it will offer a suitable excuse for citizens to use in the future. It would feel so much better if CIG folded due to obvious idiocy from Croberts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Best version of this was from 'John dies in the end'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6J_O_BVOmU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hav posted:

In Denmark, it is not a contract thing, but actual law (in the main labor legislation governing salaried employees). Any code you write in your spare time belongs to your employer, unless you have express written permissions - if it is the same kind of software. It's never been tried in court, nor has the definition of "same-ness", but I have personally seen it being used as leverage/threat during severance negotiations ("That thing you wrote in your spare time and put on github? Accept these terms or we'll come after you"). Super bullshit law, especially as it only applies to programmers, and not authors, journalists, researchers, etc.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Star posted:

While I do thoroughly enjoy watching this go down (and I don't really dare to believe that CIG is going to be shut down over this until it actually happens) it feels bad that it will offer a suitable excuse for citizens to use in the future. It would feel so much better if CIG folded due to obvious idiocy from Croberts.

You know they'd just blame something else. It was always going to be some outside boogieman that was the cause of all the problems.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

This point is particularly funny. My elderly parents know this kind of thing because they watch Judge Judy or the People's Court where tens of millions of people are exposed to the simple concept that different types of lawsuits deal with different types of monetary amounts and when you list that you are seeking "Amounts greater than (whatever)" it's actually an explanation of the way in which you are suing them. They explain all the time that if you want to sue someone outside of the $5,000 civil limit you need to go "Seeking compensation >$5,000" which is an explanation, using the limit of their specific courts, of why you aren't suing them in their courts.

Tarkaroshe basing his entire defense around "They just want $75,000 :smug: Cashgrab :smug:" is probably the stupidest thing he has ever said. He literally thinks CryTek hired a world class law firm with rates of $1,000 an hour to try and shake 3-4 days worth of lawyering out of CIG. Therefore their desperation means the lawsuit isn't a big deal.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Star posted:

no matter what it will never be chris's fault. even if there was a video of him dressed like the hamburgler, holding a giant bag with $ sign printed on it and cackling to himself as he jumped onto a yacht and sailed away, never to be seen again, the blame will still be pushed on to everyone besides chris.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

We prosecuted someone who walked away with proprietary code. As a coder, I keep my code on a completely different machine from the business code, and DO NOT mix them. Likewise, OS for my company is different from me doing OS in my free time.

Open source has kinda spoiled a lot of people who don't know that it was a direct reaction to the concept of protecting source code, and particularly software licensing, and how that plays out in the modern world. I've had to entirely re-write code who's provenance is unknown (I'm a slave to copyright headers because it reduces ambiguity).

Weirdly, this is leading to a generation who don't understand that coding up a little something at work for your own purposes means that the people paying you own it.

Couple of anecdotes.

I worked for a startup a while back, and leadership poached some hotshot senior guy from a competitor to work help us develop our flagship, differentiating tech. Turns out, that guy violated his NDA and shared trade secrets with our company. So one day, we got called to a surprise all-hands meeting. It was about 15 minutes of the CEO vamping, and I was like what is this bullshit, can I get back to work please? The answer: no. While we were in the conference room, lawyers and security were confiscating everyone's laptop, every server, everything. We never saw those laptops again, and they were used in a copyright infringement lawsuit. And just like that, our whole product pipeline was stillborn. We could not work on anything relating to <flagship technology> while the lawsuit was in play. Eventually it settled with my company paying millions, and that company ended up getting acquired (which was a best-case-scenario).

At my current company, every single programming language, library, package, etc has to be cleared with legal. This is a Java shop, with a Node-based front-end, so... that's a lot. Every class file has to have an up-to-date copyright header. I leave comments in code reviews all the time to the tune of "please update the copyright header." Now, the punk-rear end "gently caress yeah!" skateboarder rebel in me is like "jesus christ this corporate poo poo is a stupid waste of time," but the professional adult knows that when you screw this kind of thing up, you put your company and everyone that works there at risk.

My hot take, CIG thinks of themselves as this plucky hotshot hacker kid with business savvy that's going to "disrupt" the big pub stranglehold like Uber or some poo poo. Well Chris, welcome to Earf. You're not very important, you're not very smart, and you have hosed up far too hard for far too long. Hold on to your butt.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Tarkaroshe basing his entire defense around "They just want $75,000 :smug: Cashgrab :smug:" is probably the stupidest thing he has ever said. He literally thinks CryTek hired a world class law firm with rates of $1,000 an hour to try and shake 3-4 days worth of lawyering out of CIG. Therefore their desperation means the lawsuit isn't a big deal.

That's a hell of a bar you have him clearing there. I think he's said stupider things.

Toops posted:

Couple of anecdotes.

Yeah, we used to know roughly what the executives had been up to by the things that appeared in the 'Standards of business and conduct' training that you have to sit through yearly. One year it was all about insider trading.

Same on the software, but we have so many goddamned verticals that things get weird sometimes. I think we have a little of _eveything_, although I'm burning a lot of the old stuff at the moment because our technical debt goes back to the mid-90s.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 14, 2017

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This point is particularly funny. My elderly parents know this kind of thing because they watch Judge Judy or the People's Court where tens of millions of people are exposed to the simple concept that different types of lawsuits deal with different types of monetary amounts and when you list that you are seeking "Amounts greater than (whatever)" it's actually an explanation of the way in which you are suing them. They explain all the time that if you want to sue someone outside of the $5,000 civil limit you need to go "Seeking compensation >$5,000" which is an explanation, using the limit of their specific courts, of why you aren't suing them in their courts.

That was the talking point he was assigned, so he is going to hammer it, regardless of whether he actually believes it. "A lie repeated often enough becomes truth" - the propagandist creed

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SoftNum posted:

Read my previous post. You could not be less correct.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

It's going to be a very minor point, but I'm used to seeing spelling mistakes in filings.

The Skadden filing is perfect.

Yeah, least said, least to clarify. They literally copped to one of the charges.

Something else to note; we've touched on the problem that Judges/Juries aren't usually technical, but they've crafted this suit to be very basic and rotate around the GLA agreement, reducing arguments to a fairly simple binaric decision of whether the contract was breached or not.

If this was more opinion-based, then it would be so drat weak as to be a dangling hook for a payoff, but it's fairly solid on the basis of the previous agreements.

edit: I disagree with French. I suspect that if this was basically an attempt to drive for a settlement, then Skadden wouldn't be involved.

I think you’re correct. Thank you for your knowledge sharing too. :)

I believe Skadden is going in for a big kill. Maybe they are also going to try to get involved with the inevitable legislation that will be coming in terms of crowd funding as well? I’m not a lawyer, so I’m not sure what their angle is in the long haul. I do think their goal is to totally clean out CIG though, but I can’t help but feel like there is something else there that were all missing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm getting the impression this court case punches above its weight.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Toops posted:

My hot take, CIG thinks of themselves as this plucky hotshot hacker kid with business savvy that's going to "disrupt" the big pub stranglehold like Uber or some poo poo. Well Chris, welcome to Earf. You're not very important, you're not very smart, and you have hosed up far too hard for far too long. Hold on to your butt.

Getting the copyright headers right is also not a huge priority for disenchanted coders in constant crunch. Even if they are told to do it, there's a good chance they'll ignore that demand every chance they get.

But yeah, copyright headers is a serious thing, I rejected code reviews with spelling, path or date errors in the copyright notice when I was in fintech. Obviously copy-pasted code from the net? Same deal. Messing up copyright is a no-go.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Colostomy Bag posted:

It also comes with LTI, but it's limited quantity only. Pledge more at https://www.skadden.com

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I think you’re correct. Thank you for your knowledge sharing too. :)

I believe Skadden is going in for a big kill. Maybe they are also going to try to get involved with the inevitable legislation that will be coming in terms of crowd funding as well? I’m not a lawyer, so I’m not sure what their angle is in the long haul. I do think their goal is to totally clean out CIG though, but I can’t help but feel like there is something else there that were all missing.

In priority order I think Skadden is after:

1. Maximum dollars
2. Another high-profile scalp to further cement their reputation in this area of litigation
3. If Amazon gets involved (they won't), then see 1.

They probably care very little about their name being attached to legislation per se, only to the extent that it buffs up #2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Golli posted:

2. Another high-profile scalp
Chris's wig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

pretty drat stealthy too.

PederP posted:

Messing up copyright is a no-go.

And weirdly not because it's the right thing to do, but it's the lowest hanging fruit to the motivated IP squatter.

If anyone enjoys the legal side of things, you could do worse than wade through SCO Vs Red Hat. It was a multi-year case that started with the allegations that Linux was chock full of System V, and ended with SCO effectively becoming a licensing shop.

Toops posted:

Read my previous post. You could not be less correct.

Breaching an NDA is slightly different from a non-compete. Non-competes are hard to enforce because they can't stop you doing your job and are supposed to stop you using trade secrets, so they're applied very narrowly and usually not worth the paper they're written on.

An NDA is a entirely different ballgame because the NDA has to be specific and you have to reach that agreement. America plays _everything_ fast and loose, but signed contracts are difficult to get around and usually have to revolve around a perceived problem in the agreement or overreach.

There's also degree; if you're expecting to make millions from the privileged communications or art, then it's more viable to prosecute compared with something with a lower value.

Golli posted:

In priority order I think Skadden is after:

I agree.