Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm in the Dominion crowd because I thought it was the best of the three but can't complain about the Dome being #1

Also I have to work the day of the Dome and seriously 100% wanting to call in so I can watch it live

I just rewatched all 3 recently, and I have to agree, I think it's Dominion on the actual match. But the angle where I buy WK being better is just on expectations. The way the WK match landed watching it for the first time is so incredible. As a match, Dominion is better, but the feel on Dominion going in was already "holy gently caress, how do you follow up that last match?" as opposed to just having your mind blown by the WK match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do i want to take friday the 5th off for new years dash

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

for me, wrestlekingdom is the one i REALLY want to stay up for to see live, but new years dash really does set up the year nicely. i was bummed i missed the return of suzuki-gun this year.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

I can't get Friday off too so I'm probably going to wake up a couple hours early and catch what I can

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

New Years Dash usually has good moments/surprises because it's the start of the new year of New Japan

Last year had the return of Suzukigun and Suzuki, the year before had Kenny kicking Styles out of Bullet Club/the company and going heavyweight

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chris James 2 posted:

New Years Dash usually has good moments/surprises because it's the start of the new year of New Japan

Last year had the return of Suzukigun and Suzuki, the year before had Kenny kicking Styles out of Bullet Club/the company and going heavyweight

Yeah, it's basically NJPW's version of the Raw after Mania, setting up a bunch of new stuff after the Dome wraps up all the major storylines. Definitely worth watching.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah but do i want to take off work for it

cams
Mar 28, 2003

okay well would it be paid time off? how many days do you get? will it just have reset with the new year? if not, how much would you make that day, what are your monthly expenses, how much do you have in savings and do you have any outside sources of income?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Dome show is good because I can just watch the top 3 matches and then go to work and watch the rest when I get home/forget to watch it and just say I did.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I feel like I already know the answer to this but the rumble doesn't have, like, any point or reward to the winner, right?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Beyond a pay day and some nostalgia pops nope

But it's also at the same time the best match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the true winner of the rumble is the fans.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Rumble is 100% nonsense prelim spectacle and they don't pretend it's anything more than that, which is what makes it great. Just tune in early to catch whatever random legends show up, and/or laugh when Jado books himself to win again.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shiksa posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this but the rumble doesn't have, like, any point or reward to the winner, right?

when nagata and elgin won it they both used it as justification for an IC title challenge. jado won it as a joek because he had some idol with him. it's hard to take it too seriously because there will be some 70 year old dudes in there with cheeseburger but they'll probably use it to make somebody look strong at the end

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
man I can barely believe that jado can open a door when the winds kicking up

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he should never wrestle again

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I just saw a video of Jay White in the Switchblade gimmick for the first time and it looks like he actually has decent presence in the ring, which is weird because literally every still image of him looks like a teenaged Trent Reznor cosplayer who's about to cry

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna be Scott Norton's year this year in the rumble book it

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I always watch WK on the weekend after it happens. For WK11 I managed to stay completely unspoiled, while getting ready to watch Okada vs. Omega my buddy and I were talking about Suzuki. I googled his name to see what he was doing (not thinking that he was doing anything related to NJPW) and then got the main event of WK11 spoiled :-/.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I just saw a video of Jay White in the Switchblade gimmick for the first time and it looks like he actually has decent presence in the ring, which is weird because literally every still image of him looks like a teenaged Trent Reznor cosplayer who's about to cry

Maybe because I just saw Star Wars but I kind of see him as wrestling Kylo Ren. Not just in looking like an emo teen trying to be badass but the last Switchblade video of him thrashing around his apartment was reminiscent of one of Kylo's temper tantrums.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Switchblade would get over better if, like, we knew who he was and what he actually stands for. They debuted the gimmick at Power Struggle and basically hid him since then. Maybe they're trying to protect the mystique of the character, but we know basically nothing about him heading into the Dome, which doesn't seem promising for a young talent you're immediately pushing into a marquee match against Tana.

I like Jay White, and I'm hoping he'll shock us all and have a star-making performance. But it's been a weird roll-out so far, and not something that makes me think they have confidence in the kid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He was supposed to make a second appearance at the Tag League Final but I guess they nixed that with Tanahashi out.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Benne posted:

I think Switchblade would get over better if, like, we knew who he was and what he actually stands for. They debuted the gimmick at Power Struggle and basically hid him since then. Maybe they're trying to protect the mystique of the character, but we know basically nothing about him heading into the Dome, which doesn't seem promising for a young talent you're immediately pushing into a marquee match against Tana.

I like Jay White, and I'm hoping he'll shock us all and have a star-making performance. But it's been a weird roll-out so far, and not something that makes me think they have confidence in the kid.

If they're re-debuting him in a match third from the top at the Dome against Hiroshi Tanahashi for a belt that's expected to headline shows they have confidence in him. It's way too early to say whether or not the confidence is well placed and there are elements of the gimmick that come off as lame and tryhard. Kinda unfair judging him too harshly based on one post match challenge segment tho.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gonna be Scott Norton's year this year in the rumble book it

Also for the title.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’m finally having time to watch lots of NJPW (side job that allows you to watch stuff while doing the main job)...and with regards to Kitamura, he’s on PEDs, right? I mean that physique looks awesome, but that’s not legit right?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I’m finally having time to watch lots of NJPW (side job that allows you to watch stuff while doing the main job)...and with regards to Kitamura, he’s on PEDs, right? I mean that physique looks awesome, but that’s not legit right?

Let's just say that we factually know he was banned from amateur wrestling in 2011 after pissing hot for anabolic steroids. He may have made the 2012 Olympic team otherwise as he was a three time national champion

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
was it last year or the year before that had the 10-minute doraemon commercial on the preshow

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Thauros posted:

If they're re-debuting him in a match third from the top at the Dome against Hiroshi Tanahashi for a belt that's expected to headline shows they have confidence in him. It's way too early to say whether or not the confidence is well placed and there are elements of the gimmick that come off as lame and tryhard. Kinda unfair judging him too harshly based on one post match challenge segment tho.

EVIL worked out great so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm at work for WK but I have an office with a door and the place is going to be dead so I'll get paid to watch wrestling!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thauros posted:

Let's just say that we factually know he was banned from amateur wrestling in 2011 after pissing hot for anabolic steroids. He may have made the 2012 Olympic team otherwise as he was a three time national champion

That makes perfect sense.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

All your favourite athletes are abusing peds bro

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sleep with the vicious posted:

what if my favorite athlete is yokozuna

are you telling me cheeseburgers are peds

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

rare Magic card l00k posted:

what if my favorite athlete is yokozuna

are you telling me cheeseburgers are peds

Depends on how many hormones are in the meat

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Bard Maddox posted:

was it last year or the year before that had the 10-minute doraemon commercial on the preshow

two years ago

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sleep with the vicious posted:

I know but it’s always funny when it’s so over the top....well besides those weirdos in Eastern Europe who inject motor oil.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Mob posted:

two years ago

this kicked rear end

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3krmkv

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Basically all of their big events for the past 5 or so years are worth watching, but if you're getting hyped for this year's Wrestle Kingdom maybe start with last year's (11) and hit all the big ones since then. Often the undercard isn't too exciting so you can skip to the title matches in the second half.

Specifically I'd recommend:

WK11
New Beginning In Sapporo (last three matches)
New Beginning in Osaka (last four matches)
Sakura Genesis (last three matches)
Wrestling Dontaku (Omega/Ishii)
Best of Super Junior Finals (Kushida/Ospreay)
Dominion (last four matches)
G1 Special in USA Night 1 (top three matches)
G1 Special in USA Night 2 (Omega/Ishii, Bucks/RPG Vice)
G1 Climax Tournament (too many to list, but Okada/Omega was great again)
G1 Climax Final (Omega/Naito, Bucks/Taguchi Japan)
Destruction in Hiroshima (Tanahashi/ZSJ)
Destruction in Kobe (Omega/Juice)
King of Pro Wrestling (Roppongi 3K/Taguchi Japan, last three matches)
Power Struggle (last three matches)

Once you get a feel for who you like, you'll have a better idea of what to skip and what to watch. Okada, Omega, Naito, Tanahashi, Ishii, Kushida, and Hiromu are some of my faves.

Thanks for this write up. I'm really behind with everything so I'll be using this to catch up.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Watched Tanahashi/Okada from WK10 today. I find myself constantly not invested in Tana, despite knowing he’s very good. Like, I watch him, he’s good, he’s safe, he holds up his end of everything, but I don’t see why he’s the Ace of the Universe and not the Mario character in every Mario game. Good at everything, great at nothing. Has getting fully invested in 2017, with Okada and Omega being as balls-crazy-good as they’ve been, just spoiling me? Am I never going to fall in love again because of G1?

Is mid-00’s Tana more interesting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Tanahashi is still as good as he is in spite of his body literally being on fire at all times is remarkable in and of itself.

I only really started getting into New Japan a little after Wrestle Kingdom 8 so even though Tanahashi was still considered the top face/ace of the company I was basically onboard the Okada train from day 1, and Tanahashi was always number 2 to me (usually equal with Nakamura) and he's been surpassed by the likes of AJ Styles, Naito, Omega and sometimes even Ishii at times.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Watched Tanahashi/Okada from WK10 today. I find myself constantly not invested in Tana, despite knowing he’s very good. Like, I watch him, he’s good, he’s safe, he holds up his end of everything, but I don’t see why he’s the Ace of the Universe and not the Mario character in every Mario game. Good at everything, great at nothing. Has getting fully invested in 2017, with Okada and Omega being as balls-crazy-good as they’ve been, just spoiling me? Am I never going to fall in love again because of G1?

Is mid-00’s Tana more interesting?

I mean. He's just a fantastic wrestler who is extremely over and a big star in Japan. I wouldn't say Cena is my favorite wrestler, but I know he is a great wrestler and he is a star. Like there really isn't much else there. You don't have to like his matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Thank goodness I'm only two hours ahead of Tokyo Time so I'll be nicely at home with a pizza and a sixer watching Wrestle Kingdom ;).

• Locked thread