Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Why is it every time Apple adapters are mentioned, someone has to come out of the blue and tell everyone 'LOL you all are suckahs, dig my $25 Taiwanese adapter it hasn't failed me yet.'

Long story short, read Kotex's link, accept that nickel and diming yourself is incredibly stupid in light of your typical investment in Apple hardware, buy a loving OG Apple adapter, and sleep peacefully knowing you aren't going to wake up to a useless molten puddle of metal the next day.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine paying nearly $1K for a laptop and then buying a $20 power cable loving lmao

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine paying nearly $1K for a laptop and then buying a $20 power cable loving lmao

A $20 power cable that destroys itself and your laptop

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hey now, it's not counterfeit, they don't pretend to have an Apple logo! Just gotta put your trust in WEGWANG. :laugh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Or the Apple watch

I swear that's just a manipulated version of the MBP image above. No way the Watch needs 2 fans with heatpipes.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

I swear that's just a manipulated version of the MBP image above. No way the Watch needs 2 fans with heatpipes.

Did the extra battery(ies) give it away?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

A $20 power cable that destroys itself and your laptop
Also maybe your house! And you!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Arivia posted:

Haha, it is. He probably Photoshopped it himself; it even has the USB ports and poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Or the Apple watch

You know that's not real, correct?

e: fb :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

enojy posted:

He probably Photoshopped it himself

:smugdog:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Ugh, I installed windows 7 on my mac a year ago because I wanted to play some games now and then but in the process deleted Os X for some reason (was i drunk?). I now wanna switch back to OS X for music production, but can't seem to find a download for el capitan anywhere. I'd even be willing to pay for it, but it's not available. loving bummer

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just do an internet restore?

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

Dyna Soar posted:

Ugh, I installed windows 7 on my mac a year ago because I wanted to play some games now and then but in the process deleted Os X for some reason (was i drunk?). I now wanna switch back to OS X for music production, but can't seem to find a download for el capitan anywhere. I'd even be willing to pay for it, but it's not available. loving bummer

If you take your Mac to an Apple Store they should be able to put a fresh install of MacOS on it, though you might have to delete your windows partition.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just do an internet restore?

This, it’ll take a while to download but it works great.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Internet Restore will get you the version of macOS that came with your machine, unless something has changed. Apple Store might install High Sierra instead.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
How do i do an internet restore if i only have windows installed? Also i dont have the apple id the machine was bought with, it's an old graphical work station from my work.

I see snow leopard is available for 20bux, could i buy it and then upgrade to el capitan somehow?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

How do i do an internet restore if i only have windows installed? Also i dont have the apple id the machine was bought with, it's an old graphical work station from my work.

I see snow leopard is available for 20bux, could i buy it and then upgrade to el capitan somehow?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Go to a buddies house and use the App store to download HS and make a USB stick and install on your machine

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Try your own Apple ID anyway.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

crazysim posted:

Try your own Apple ID anyway.

Formatting the drive erases anything that could be tied to an Apple ID. There is no Activation Lock on Macs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Reminder that if you format your Mac laptop as Windows only, if you bring it to the Fruit Stand for servicing, they will flat out refuse to do anything with your laptop.

Even if it's only an 8 GB macOS partition, Apple will service it.

Also if Apple ever releases another firmware update not folded into a macOS update, that update will only run if there's a macOS partition.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

Did it actually delete your partition, or does it just always boot into Windows when you power it up? Did you use Bootcamp to install, because that won't let you delete the OS X install. Try holding the option key when you turn it on, just to rule that out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Formatting the drive erases anything that could be tied to an Apple ID. There is no Activation Lock on Macs.

Do you think they will ever add that into Macs? I’m kinda surprised they haven’t done it yet.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Do you think they will ever add that into Macs? I’m kinda surprised they haven’t done it yet.

What do I think..? Who the gently caress am I?

I think iPod theft and iPhone theft on the streets were huge problems for Apple, where people didn’t want to be seen with their products at night. A remote kill switch/bricking mechanism is quite a serious thing to add to your product. MacBook theft isn’t quite such a problem. I hope Apple doesn’t.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pivo posted:

Internet Restore will get you the version of macOS that came with your machine, unless something has changed. Apple Store might install High Sierra instead.

It’s changed a bit. If you are on newer version of MacOS, you can choose to install the newest version or the original one, depending on the keys you hold down. (I’m not sure if the newer behavior requires the original OS to be newer, which would limit this to relatively new hardware.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Macbooks (refurbished) from $799 to $999 on Amazon for the next 18 hours

Would this be worth it? Edit: They're early 2015 according to the product details, certified manufacturer refurbish.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 18, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Anyone using mac hardware in an enterprise environment? Looking at the ways to setup a server and nothing jumps out as ideal.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Verisimilidude posted:

Macbooks (refurbished) from $799 to $999 on Amazon for the next 18 hours

Would this be worth it? Edit: They're early 2015 according to the product details, certified manufacturer refurbish.

Check the description. Those are 3rd party refurbished. I wouldn’t touch that.

I’ve had 3 refurbs from Apple.com and they’ve all been indistinguishable from new, but you’ve got no idea what kind of spit-shine qualifies as “third party refurb”

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

funmanguy posted:

Anyone using mac hardware in an enterprise environment? Looking at the ways to setup a server and nothing jumps out as ideal.

I would run esxi if thats an option.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Perplx posted:

I would run esxi if thats an option.

Sadly its not, we arent allowed to break Apple-Law

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2017

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

MarcusSA posted:

The iMac Pro's "bridges", SMC, BIOS, and so on seem to be more and more iOS-like. It could be coming.

funmanguy posted:

Sadly its not, we arent allowed to break Apple-Law

You can run ESXi on a Mac Mini. It's unofficially supported by VMware, used by some enterprising macOS as a service web-hosts, and the macOS license allows virtualization of itself.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

crazysim posted:

You can run ESXi on a Mac Mini. It's unofficially supported by VMware, used by some enterprising macOS as a service web-hosts, and the macOS license allows virtualization of itself.

I wish I didnt have to use Apple hardware. I want more redundancy than mac minis come with. I miss XServes.

e: If you are using a mac mini, why not use regular osx server?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I've waffled back and forth on whether or not I'm okay with the new MBP keyboard, but now that a slight breeze has broken the impossibly tiny, fragile clips on the keycap, I'm firmly in the "it's bad" camp. I'll still stick with this one as long as I can, but chances are low I buy another macbook as long as they're sticking with this design.

I guess I have to go beg for mercy at the genius bar, has anyone brought theirs in for this? Can they just pop a new one on or are they gonna send the whole thing in? FWIW I'll probably go to the big Chicago/Michigan Avenue store.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Can macOS applications take up over 32GB RAM without grinding to a halt and asking you to close things, or do I just shake fist at Adobe? I'm on a 64GB Mac Pro at work doing broadcast. A couple instances of Cinema 4D layers in After Effects (latest, 2017.whatever) will gobble that up in a pretty quickly and monitoring the app footprint as soon as it hits 32GB, macOS suspends that app, and then all apps, until I stop offending the OS even though I still have 14GB free. And since there is no interacting with an app that size to purge RAM or cache, you just have to kill it. I've also got Premiere & FCPX open which aren't huge RAM offenders. In any case, when doing that kind of work I'll just save frequently and... not multi-task, I guess. Pre-render then disable layers. But I'd love to know if it's macOS or AE.
I'd say I want an iMac Pro as I'm doing a bunch of VR design and the Vega 56 Pro compares very well with the 1070, but I'll wait for some reviews before making a case for it. I also have no idea how much it'll be throttled, though honeslty a 1060 in a laptop is 90% there and sustainable over an hour.

crazysim posted:

You can run ESXi on a Mac Mini.
Speaking of minis, mine is up in SA Mart.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What's the difference between the MacBook and the Pro? I thought the Pro was the premium version but they seem to be very similar prices?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Koramei posted:

What's the difference between the MacBook and the Pro? I thought the Pro was the premium version but they seem to be very similar prices?

Size, primarily. MacBooks are tiny 12” lightweight computers, MacBook Pros are larger and more powerful.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Koramei posted:

macbook pro has more ports, wider colour gamut screen, more powerful cpu/gpu with a fan cooling it (which means better sustained performance with less throttling)

15 inch mbp has an amd gpu in it which is orders of magnitude more powerful than the intel graphics

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smax posted:

Size, primarily. MacBooks are tiny 12” lightweight computers, MacBook Pros are larger and more powerful.

Also number of USB ports (MacBook only has 1).
MacBook max memory is 8GB
As mentioned the computing power: MacBook has Intel m3 and m5 processors and the MBP have dual-core i5s and quad-core i7s.

Honestly, if you don't have a need for a bunch of USB C ports (and there are good multiport charging hubs) or a need for the power, a MacBook is a perfectly serviceable computer. I bought my niece and nephew MacBook m5's for college and they love them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh, why do they start at the same prices if the MBP is better? Is there a lot in engineering the MacBook to be smaller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Koramei posted:

Huh, why do they start at the same prices if the MBP is better? Is there a lot in engineering the MacBook to be smaller?

The MBP is a different product. You need to go to an Apple Store to understand why. The MacBook is insanely thin and light. It is not just a scaled down version.