Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChrisBTY posted:

1) The drug test gambit with HHH.

Personally I think that was one of his "sink the ship I'm on to kill my captain" moments, but I'd happily replace that with,"Becomes Petey Williams' mentor, ties him to the hood of his car while making towns"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

stab posted:

For as insane and carny Steiner appears to be, he's actually a pretty intelligent bastard

I know he went to the University of Michigan, but I'm not sure what he did there, apart from wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Say Nothing posted:

I know he went to the University of Michigan, but I'm not sure what he did there, apart from wrestling.

gently caress

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

gently caress

There was a tremendous amount of night-time hollering reported in the area around his dorm during his studies.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

He graduated from Michigan. He’s from around where I grew up originally and I’ve spoken to him a few times. He’s definitely crazy like a fox.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

He graduated from Michigan. He’s from around where I grew up originally and I’ve spoken to him a few times. He’s definitely crazy like a fox.

Have you ever been to his Shoney's?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRafTer posted:

I think I've posted this before but I've been kind of following this in the back of my head during Tuesday Nitro and tonight was an important night in the chronology.

WCW debuted the Big Gold Belt in 86. It cost about $12,000 and featured fake jewels that the wrestlers apparently kept trying to steal and sell, which had to be replaced. It had one distinctive feature later on, a bend in the top of the belt. This first appeared in 89 when Muta used it as a weapon but got much worse as time wore on. By 98-99 the belt was looking pretty worn. Around the filming of Ready to Rumble WCW had some casts of the belt made. They went to Nash, DDP, Scott Steiner, the movie and one later to Jeff Jarrett. This becomes important later on.

At Bash at the Beach 2000 the bent belt is switched with the cast Jeff Jarrett has. Hogan wins it after Jarrett lays down for him and then both sides work themselves into a shoot. Hogan thinks he has the original belt, but he doesn't. The original belt is awarded to the winner of Booker vs Jarrett on that show, you can tell because Hogan's looks new and Booker's doesn't.

So that belt gets swapped around until the final Nitro when Scott Steiner, then the champion switches the original belt for his cast and Booker T wins that one to take to the WWF. Scott Steiner then keeps the original and has it in his personal collection.

I just rewatched the Rise and Fall of WCW the other night, and in several clips you could see how bad the Big Gold belt got, but also one of the tag belts. There was a shot of Hall wearing a tag title and one of the side plates was gone, and in a shot of Goldberg with the Big Gold, one of the side plates was falling off.

Reminds me of the main event of WM 14, and you could clearly see the Winged Eagle belt had a piece broken off

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

I just rewatched the Rise and Fall of WCW the other night, and in several clips you could see how bad the Big Gold belt got, but also one of the tag belts. There was a shot of Hall wearing a tag title and one of the side plates was gone, and in a shot of Goldberg with the Big Gold, one of the side plates was falling off.

Reminds me of the main event of WM 14, and you could clearly see the Winged Eagle belt had a piece broken off

In 98 they actually replaced the tag titles with the fake titles Hall and Nash had been carrying around.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I sort of wonder if WWE knew about the switcheroo and decided to just let him keep the busted belt.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

ChrisBTY posted:

I sort of wonder if WWE knew about the switcheroo and decided to just let him keep the busted belt.

Well

How would they have gotten it back smart gUY?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I believe they got at least one cast, maybe two so they wouldn't need it if they wanted to replace the old broken one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One more Bash at the Beach 2000 fun fact, Sting who attacked Vampiro (that the announcers swore was the real Sting) was Chris Harris/Braden Walker.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

One more Bash at the Beach 2000 fun fact, Sting who attacked Vampiro (that the announcers swore was the real Sting) was Chris Harris/Braden Walker.

So that's why he kicked his butt.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

I believe they got at least one cast, maybe two so they wouldn't need it if they wanted to replace the old broken one.

I guess the question I'm trying to ask is 'Even if they had the original belt, wouldn't they want to cast a new one anyway? Steiner probably saved them the effort.'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess the question I'm trying to ask is 'Even if they had the original belt, wouldn't they want to cast a new one anyway? Steiner probably saved them the effort.'

Well they ended up making their own anyway, but I think they'd want the original just to have it. But who knows in 2001 they cared less about that kind of thing.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Would they even care about it now? It'd probably be gathering dust in the warehouse

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Would they even care about it now? It'd probably be gathering dust in the warehouse

It's the kind of thing HHH would probably be into if the deal went through today. But they are trying to gather poo poo for if they ever put up a physical HoF.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRafTer posted:

It's the kind of thing HHH would probably be into if the deal went through today. But they are trying to gather poo poo for if they ever put up a physical HoF.

The only ones missing from his WWF collection are the ones Hogan wore in 85, and 86-88

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

what a mark

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

If they do ever put together a physical HoF, any chance of them buying it off Steiner? Steiner hates HHH, but he probably wouldn't say no to free money. Unless he's really into having the WCW belt around.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At next year's WrestleMania they should headline with a shoot fight between HHH and Scott Steiner for the Big Gold Belt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

At next year's WrestleMania they should headline with a shoot fight between HHH and Scott Steiner for the Big Gold Belt.
what'll break first: steiner's throat or hhh's quad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

what'll break first: steiner's throat or hhh's quad

what'll break first? my wallet, when i buy front row seats!!!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Davros1 posted:

The only ones missing from his WWF collection are the ones Hogan wore in 85, and 86-88

How the hell did that belt get mounted without the spinner secure and how did it not get fixed the moment it went askew?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Twinkie Czar posted:

How the hell did that belt get mounted without the spinner secure and how did it not get fixed the moment it went askew?

Maybe he opens the case and spins it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Probably the original spinner belt, before the fixed version they started using later.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Could it be The Miz belt?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I recently finished watching Souled Out '98 and I still don't see the point of having Dusty join the nWo.

God dammit, WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorDelaware posted:

I recently finished watching Souled Out '98 and I still don't see the point of having Dusty join the nWo.

God dammit, WCW.

To make the commentary less awful.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DoctorDelaware posted:

God dammit, WCW.

Baby it all part of a mathter plan, if you weel

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This needs to be noted. In July of 2000 Lenny Lane was shown in the crowds with signs reading USE ME to get his job back.

Then on Thunder he is given a tables match with The Wall to get his job back. The Wall takes a dive and Lenny Lane gets his job back.

Lenny Lane would never wrestle again in WCW.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You have like 4 tag teams.
I'm not saying anything he did with Lodi was great but at least you'd have 5 tag teams.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's weird how much Bischoff and McMahon had in common in some areas. Didn't get tag teams, didn't get women's wrestling, didn't get wrestlers not being super big musclemen (despite the cruiserweights being a fixture for years.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah but only one of them got to make out with Stephanie :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah but only one of them got to make out with Stephanie :colbert:
Are you sure about that one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

Are you sure about that one

Sorry, let me clarify.

One of them WANTED to make out with Stephanie, one GOT to, and nobody was happy with the situation.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Monsoon_Classic/status/950296011276156928

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/950535365382868992

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/950566487533735936

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/950561346105483265

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/950577069762777088

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Anyone else remember like Spring of 99 when WCW had a decent resurgence of their tag team division via Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko, and Mysterio/Kidman? Raven and Saturn were over as gently caress, despite not getting an obvious face push, and Saturn would come out in a black dress type thing wearing green contacts. The program only lasted a few months but it was really good, if not forgotten by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyone else remember like Spring of 99 when WCW had a decent resurgence of their tag team division via Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko, and Mysterio/Kidman? Raven and Saturn were over as gently caress, despite not getting an obvious face push, and Saturn would come out in a black dress type thing wearing green contacts. The program only lasted a few months but it was really good, if not forgotten by now.

Yeah and then they hosed it all up with the Triad...

and then even worse by going back to Harlem Heat.