Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

BSam posted:

not going to toxx because i'm not really going to kill myself for that reason.

You alright bud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the black museum thing will be worst episode, the automated truck thing best.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fututor Magnus posted:

the black museum thing will be worst episode, the automated truck thing best.

It's pretty bad, yeah. "USS Callister" and "Crocodile" are the best ones. Callister is the only real standout of the season, I thought.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What? Season 4 is out already?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What? Season 4 is out already?

No, I watched the screeners a while ago.

4 is the worst season so far, so temper your expectations. I only found one of them outright bad, but there are two others that I didn't really care for either.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LesterGroans posted:

4 is the worst season so far, so temper your expectations. I only found one of them outright bad, but there are two others that I didn't really care for either.

So just Season 3 again? I can live with that

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What did you think of the Jodie Foster one?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Fans posted:

So just Season 3 again? I can live with that

Kind of, but none of these episodes match "San Junipero" or "Shut Up and Dance". Callister comes closest.

Mu Zeta posted:

What did you think of the Jodie Foster one?

Well-acted, well-directed, but it comes off as a little too standard. You get exactly what you'd expect from a mid-level Black Mirror episode. It doesn't help that the tech in it is basically a variation on stuff we've seen in other episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf people are going to love the poo poo out of this season no matter how mediocre it is because it’s black mirror

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If the episodes are going to be average quality, maybe they should make an actual season's worth of content.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Charlie wrote all of them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Callister was co-written with someone else but otherwise yes

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo piss, I just watched San Junipero. What an amazing, beautiful and fun hour of TV.

Also, I think that episode hosed me up somehow. I'm just realizing that I have never seriously considered the possibility of an afterlife and seeing a semi-plausible portrayal of how something like this could possibly exist is really haunting.

If the rest of the episodes are even half as good I'm in love with this show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out White Christmas. It's the perfect follow up.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Holy poo poo piss, I just watched San Junipero.

If the rest of the episodes are even half as good I'm in love with this show.

San Junipero is the high water mark. The rest are very much darker. But that’s the fun. 🙂

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shut up and dance is the best episode but it certainly won't leave you feeling the same way.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Now that I think about it, I didn't quite get what exactly was wrong with Yorkie. Greg says that she has been quadriplegic since the car crash. But she is shown to be in some form of coma and completely non-responsive. Greg says he talks to her over the comm box and she is clearly able to consent to marriage, but Kelly doesn't talk to her during the visit at all? She also seems pretty well adjusted for someone who has been in a (wake) coma for 40 years and only interacting through a comm box with the outside world.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

"worst" how? what standards are you specifically considering? are they bad for black mirror, or just bad in general? i think the latter is appropriate for many episodes already in the three seasons we have.

and generally, black mirror episodes tend to seem a lot better or at least more nuanced the more viewings you give them. i thought "men against fire" was the worst BM episode i had ever seen, the setting of a literal eugenics war in the vague far future i thought was dumb, that it didn't belong in black mirror etc. having seen it a couple more times, i think it's pretty drat good actually.

the idea of creating the perfect soldier, who loves killing as if in a video game, who cannot suffer PTSD, who is totally shielded from all the lovely things associated with going to war, even if it's because of a all-pervasive façade.

the shot of soldier guy returned home in reality to a broken derelict house and having his implant showing him something very different was great. really was a good moment of show don't tell regarding BM's major themes of the "dark side" of technology being in reality the product of a society and culture that has failed to prioritize that which would actually help people.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Now that I think about it, I didn't quite get what exactly was wrong with Yorkie. Greg says that she has been quadriplegic since the car crash. But she is shown to be in some form of coma and completely non-responsive. Greg says he talks to her over the comm box and she is clearly able to consent to marriage, but Kelly doesn't talk to her during the visit at all? She also seems pretty well adjusted for someone who has been in a (wake) coma for 40 years and only interacting through a comm box with the outside world.

yorkie does behave really antisocially in the first part of the episode. perhaps you have different take on it, but yorkie got into a crash in her twenties, meaning she was properly socialized enough that she wouldn't really degenerate into a feral simply by being in hospital for most her life.

i agree that it wasn't made clear why exactly yorkie was physically unresponsive and unable to speak. though her early behaviour in san junipero is appropriate for someone who hasn't physically interacted with humans for most her life.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Fututor Magnus posted:

yorkie does behave really antisocially in the first part of the episode. perhaps you have different take on it, but yorkie got into a crash in her twenties, meaning she was properly socialized enough that she wouldn't really degenerate into a feral simply by being in hospital for most her life.

i agree that it wasn't made clear why exactly yorkie was physically unresponsive and unable to speak. though her early behaviour in san junipero is appropriate for someone who hasn't physically interacted with humans for most her life.

But what's the purpose of the bikes?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just finished watching White Christmas for the first time since I had originally seen it months ago, and it blew me away all over again. It really is my favourite episode and I had actually forgotten what the main guy's crime was. I also misremembered how the nervous guy at the party was a part of a larger group of guys that were being helped. For some reason I had thought that it was Jon Hamm's character letting others in on the show, secretly.

I guess it's one of those times when your initial thoughts of something take over in your memory when you've forgotten the explanation of what's really going on.

So, is it (edit: I should clarify with "do you think it is...") barbaric to have left the guy's 'cookie'/AI in the kitchen for as long as they did, with the time dilated out to a thousand years per minute? Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 20, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, is it barbaric to have left the guy's 'cookie'/AI in the kitchen for as long as they did, with the time dilated out to a thousand years per minute?

Yes, not even a question

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Just finished watching White Christmas for the first time since I had originally seen it months ago, and it blew me away all over again. It really is my favourite episode and I had actually forgotten what the main guy's crime was. I also misremembered how the nervous guy at the party was a part of a larger group of guys that were being helped. For some reason I had thought that it was Jon Hamm's character letting others in on the show, secretly.

I guess it's one of those times when your initial thoughts of something take over in your memory when you've forgotten the explanation of what's really going on.

So, is it barbaric to have left the guy's 'cookie'/AI in the kitchen for as long as they did, with the time dilated out to a thousand years per minute? Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

Imagine waking up in a room that looks like yours. You're told that you're a clone and that you're going to be programmed to fit the real you's needs while you can do absolutely nothing to stop it, consciously aware of every little second even while someone in the 'real world' alters your perception of time to something like experiencing a month in a minute.

How would you really know you were a clone? How would you feel?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well that post spurred me to watch White Christmas again, too. Ugh, why. That poo poo is so horrible. Being on the register can't be much better than being in the kitchen, except you know that eventually you'll die and the torture will end.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

So, is it barbaric to have left the guy's 'cookie'/AI in the kitchen for as long as they did, with the time dilated out to a thousand years per minute? Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

It's by far the most horrible thing that happens in any of the Black Mirror episodes and it makes me question your moral framework if you don't immediately recognize it as such tbh.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

You seem to have missed the entire episodes theme of the horrors of dehumanisation

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've never much liked White Christmas -- it's always felt a bit OTT, and the second segment of the triptych is structured poorly -- but it's just struck me; wouldn't torturing the Cookie personality be actively counterproductive? The Cookie's meant to be a 1:1 copy of a person, one that would subconsciously know exactly how hot the bath should be, or what to make for breakfast on any given day. Not a PTSD flashback survivor who craves comfort food all the time, or a resentful employee who'll keep replacing your sweetener with muscle relaxant.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fans posted:

You seem to have missed the entire episodes theme of the horrors of dehumanisation

No, I'm actually on the side of it being terrible; they've created a consciousness, which isn't much different than giving birth or cloning, and are then torturing it. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions. I was wondering if anyone argued Jon Hamm's character's point about it 'not being real'.

I also don't believe solitary confinement IRL is a positive step in punishment, and this is beyond worse than that.

EDIT: Just did the math, assuming that their Christmas break was one week.

That's 604.8 million years. :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 20, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've never much liked White Christmas -- it's always felt a bit OTT, and the second segment of the triptych is structured poorly -- but it's just struck me; wouldn't torturing the Cookie personality be actively counterproductive? The Cookie's meant to be a 1:1 copy of a person, one that would subconsciously know exactly how hot the bath should be, or what to make for breakfast on any given day. Not a PTSD flashback survivor who craves comfort food all the time, or a resentful employee who'll keep replacing your sweetener with muscle relaxant.

Hamm mention you have to torture them just enough to ensure compliance without them breaking down. It's a skill.:cop:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The tech would be fine if they didn't make the AI so smart. It's ok to make a machine without giving it a personality. Make AI like in Interstellar - vague, block-like shapes that are basically utility.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It’s really the same story as White Bear and Shut Up and Dance where people act like it’s okay to torture them because they’ve done something wrong no matter how hosed doing that really is. It’s probably the theme Brookers done the most so far

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The tech would be fine if they didn't make the AI so smart. It's ok to make a machine without giving it a personality. Make AI like in Interstellar - vague, block-like shapes that are basically utility.

The AI in Interstellar had tons of personality though?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So, is it (edit: I should clarify with "do you think it is...") barbaric to have left the guy's 'cookie'/AI in the kitchen for as long as they did, with the time dilated out to a thousand years per minute? Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

If it's not real, why torture it?

Do you have the desire to make your phone's radio app run 604.8 million years to torture it? Of course not, because the app doesn't know that it's torture, it's just a program doing a job, what would be the point?

These people do see the point in torturing the cookie, which to me confirms that it's basically a person, because no one would care about code enough to even think to try to torture it.

Yes, it's barbaric as gently caress, is the answer I'm driving at here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If cookies were real, I'd create a cookie me that could just live out his life reading books, playing video games, watching movies, and enjoying some kind of digital food sensations,as long as I could find a way for him to interact with other cookies so he wouldn't get lonely. He could still be useful too, because there's a lot of testing and tracking I do for my hobbies in spreadsheets that he'd be doing for himself anyway, so he could share them with me.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bicyclops posted:

If cookies were real, I'd create a cookie me that could just live out his life reading books, playing video games, watching movies, and enjoying some kind of digital food sensations,as long as I could find a way for him to interact with other cookies so he wouldn't get lonely. He could still be useful too, because there's a lot of testing and tracking I do for my hobbies in spreadsheets that he'd be doing for himself anyway, so he could share them with me.

What if he goes all "gently caress you, dad" on you?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

We'll, then the six million years of torture, obviously, I mean what other choice is there?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I'd create three cookies of me so I can finally play all these multiplayer games I keep picking up. Also so we can collaborate on the creative stuff I'm having trouble getting around to as a single being.

Eventually we'd drift into distinctly different entities. That process would be interesting.

Orange Devil posted:

I don't think it's a what if (within the what-if); that drift as my cookies and I would have different experiences would inevitably lead to a FYD. That wouldn't invalidate the experiences that preceded the FYD. Heck, I might have it coming. Just because it'd be coming from a cookie doesn't mean I'd automatically be in the right.

Cookies are functionally human beings in all but the vessel they inhabit, and that's not enough to unperson them in my eyes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

It’s really the same story as White Bear and Shut Up and Dance where people act like it’s okay to torture them because they’ve done something wrong no matter how hosed doing that really is. It’s probably the theme Brookers done the most so far

Yeah it's clearly one that resonates with him a lot based on his other work. Basically like, we know that as a society you have to punish people sometimes. That doesn't mean you should ENJOY it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

If it's not real, why torture it?

Yeah that’s a question I wondered when I first watched it too. That and Hamm’s punishment, which is just stupid, make the episode not really resonate with me even though the plot’s pretty good and I love Hamm in general.

I’m not a huge fan of the episodes that go to the ‘is torture...bad?’ well outside of Shut Up and Dance. They’re just too on the nose with their commentary and aren’t really relatable (especially White Bear). Shut Up and Dance at least adds the option of letting the pawns quit and just face their consequences. In a way that can relate to how far one is able to keep a hurtful secret or lie from others before it winds up destroying them.

Even while writing this I tried to make White Bear relatable in my head by trying to stretch it to be about a mistake you made coming back to haunt you throughout your life, but that doesn’t work because of the whole ‘memory erasure/reliving the same day over and over’ thing.

To me, the best episodes of Black Mirror speak to the viewer on a level that resonates with you on a personal, relatable level as well as provide the social commentary. Be Right Back, The Entire History of You, Shut Up and Dance, San Janepeiro, and (in my opinion) Hated in the Nation do this really well, as well as a few others.

Also to the poster who wrote about the military episode. That’s a pretty good analysis. I found that one sort of meh but that makes me think of the episode in a different context. I might have to rewatch that one again.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It occurs to me that the Black Mirror episodes about torture really would suck if you thought that they were posing moral dilemmas as opposed to just going "wow, people who support torture sure are hosed up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's clearly one that resonates with him a lot based on his other work. Basically like, we know that as a society you have to punish people sometimes. That doesn't mean you should ENJOY it.

White Bear and Shut Up and Dance would both be upright and fully morally correct if only the characters in it were kind of hum drum about what they're doing to others.