Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I interpret Legion as basically being the first rise of resistance of the whole mutant thing. They're not X-Men or having any kind of clear plan. They're just reacting to the world changing and the problems they're facing. The next wave/generation will be better prepared in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Aubrey Plaza apparently went as Wednesday Adams. Might just be her normal outfit though.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Aubrey Plaza apparently went as Wednesday Adams. Might just be her normal outfit though.

This is Aubrey Plaza's "normal"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Medullah posted:

it's a normal picture of audrey plaza? idgi

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I just binged this whole show on a long flight and I'm kind of obsessed with it now. My only disappointment is that somewhere in all the wild inventive visuals they couldn't find a way to give Dan Stevens a huge flattop.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do we have any word on Season 2?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Google tells me that it's expected to air in February and that the guy who was supposed to play Farouk is being recast.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Feb of '18 is the last I've heard.

Also, Saïd Taghmaoui is playing as Farouk in what I imagine are going to flashbacks, but who the gently caress knows with this show. All the principals will be back, so he's not replacing Aubrey as far as I know.

Edit: ^^ Well poo poo. It's not going to be Saïd anymore?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Feb of '18 is the last I've heard.

Also, Saïd Taghmaoui is playing as Farouk in what I imagine are going to flashbacks, but who the gently caress knows with this show. All the principals will be back, so he's not replacing Aubrey as far as I know.

Edit: ^^ Well poo poo. It's not going to be Saïd anymore?

As of two weeks ago, no.
https://www.avclub.com/shadow-king-actor-said-taghmaoui-abruptly-leaves-legion-1820839661

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LoL @ 2017 that I was genuinely surprised this wasn’t due to him being outed as a sex creep

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL @ 2017 that I was genuinely surprised this wasn’t due to him being outed as a sex creep

No reason has been given so there’s still plenty of time for it to be revealed that he is a sex creep

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Google tells me that it's expected to air in February and that the guy who was supposed to play Farouk is being recast.

Yeah it'd have to be a flashback because I'm pretty sure no one's going to care all that much who's playing the 500 pound grey CGI butterball.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I binged through this last weekend, and wow, I cannot believe I waited so long to watch it after the first episode. I think I was a little wary that the show would be full of off brand mutants, and also constantly be loving with you by revealing that everything was just a fantasy, and now this is really...no wait that was a lie to!

I don't think a show that everything is 100% suspect all the time could be satisfying outside of visuals, as you could never really have character development or plot progression if the rug is being pulled out from under you constantly. Having the memories being the thing that were suspect and the grand delusion at the end was great, because you, the audience knew it was not real, but seeing the characters figure it out was great. The whole Ascetic was great, it was like a late 90s that was also the 60s. I was totally down with that.

The flashes of the Shadow King were great, and really loving creepy. Plaza going from simply David's headmate to being revealed to be the Shadow King was really cool and well done. It makes you wonder when thinking back, was there ever a Lenny?

I also understand a ton of peoples avatars now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I think I was a little wary that the show would be full of off brand mutants,

That's Gifted :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It makes you wonder when thinking back, was there ever a Lenny?
Yes. Other people find her body. Then the Shadow King used her to exploit David's guilt and fear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

No reason has been given so there’s still plenty of time for it to be revealed that he is a sex creep

Variety reports that he made the announcement happily because it was a much bigger project that he was way more excited about, so hopefully not.

And I was confused wasn’t Lenny actually a dude and Farouk just reality warped her into a woman to appear more vulnerable?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

And I was confused wasn’t Lenny actually a dude and Farouk just reality warped her into a woman to appear more vulnerable?

Yes. From what I understand, he retroactively edited original Lenny in David's memory and replaced it with Aubrey Lenny (who was a patient that was killed by Syd's freak out in EP01). And anyway, Lenny is just a mental costume for Farouk anyway.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 11, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

twistedmentat posted:

I also understand a ton of peoples avatars now.

Yes, good. Good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mikeraskol posted:

Yes, good. Good.
      \

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Is Gifted any good? I honestly haven’t heard anything about it so I haven’t started it yet.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Both Benny and Lenny are two real separate people. Benny was the fat guy David was friends with when he was a junkie. Lenny was his friend played by Aubrey Plaza in Clockworks. The real Lenny died when Syd-in-David's-body put her in a wall in the first episode. Then Shadow King assumed her image to appear to David and manipulate him, since he and Lenny were friends. Shadow King also altered David's memories and replaced Benny with Lenny so that David's perceived bond with her would be strengthened and therefore the manipulation too.

Any memory you see of David and Lenny together before Clockworks (the stolen stove, the frog vape) is edited by SK to replace Benny with Lenny.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mikeraskol posted:

Yes, good. Good.

Yours most of all.

Also theres a lot of naked butts in this show.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Delzuma posted:

Is Gifted any good? I honestly haven’t heard anything about it so I haven’t started it yet.

I really like it, though I am a huge X-Men fan. It's much more straightforward than Legion, but it's nicely written with some good escalation/development and the characters avoid pointless drama in the main. There are some strong performances and some fun mutants including Polaris, Blink and Thunderbird, so the main thing that seems to be an issue for people are the family at the centre of the show, whom I don't mind but some people find the teenaged son annoying, or even the whole family.
I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It's better than the X-Men movies, excepting Logan and Deadpool of course, which is possibly damning with faint praise but I mean it as a positive as it actually uses the (alternative) universe fully and has some nice nods to X-history.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Delzuma posted:

It's a very non-prestige style show so it feels outdated in a lot of ways. Lots of unnecessary drama, a really unappealing and cliché family dynamic, very clearly a budget show, etc. But it's got its moments, and the mutant parts of the show usually work pretty well - at the very least it's gotten a lot better over the course of the season.

But, comparing it to Runaways, another recent show about superpowered teens - it's no contest at all. That show is better in like literally every way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Except action, Runaways action is, not good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Except action, Runaways action is, not good.

Gifted's super isn't either. We've only seen like one brief action scene in Runaways so far and I'm not gonna write it off just yet.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 12, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hakkesshu posted:

Gifted's super isn't either. We've only seen like one brief action scene in Runaways so far and I'm not gonna write it off just yet.

The team power reveal scene in Runaways is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Unbelievably bad. I feel like its the closest you can get to ruining a show with one scene it was so bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

The team power reveal scene in Runaways is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Unbelievably bad. I feel like its the closest you can get to ruining a show with one scene it was so bad.

It wasn't that loving bad, come on. Certainly on par with action scenes in The Gifted.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Runaways is a kids show doodz

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Runaways is a kids show doodz

Like, obvs. Totally.

Or whatever the kids say these days. It's a really good kid's show, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It'll be about four episodes' worth of a good show once the whole season's done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

McSpanky posted:

It'll be about four episodes' worth of a good show once the whole season's done.

Ah, so they're making sure it matches the comic books. 30ish% quality sounds about right.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I'm sure this has been asked plenty, but is there an answer to the whole pyrokinetic(or pyrotechnic) scene?

howe_sam posted:

I thought that was Inhumans :smug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Postal Parcel posted:

I'm sure this has been asked plenty, but is there an answer to the whole pyrokinetic(or pyrotechnic) scene?

Presumably there was a extra mutant there kicking it off because everyone seemed to know what was coming except David. It's possible Melanie has powers that haven't been shown off yet, but based on her stuff at Farouk's asylum, she probably has mutant powers related to plant growth.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The more time passes the more I think they filmed the pilot ahead of the rest of the show and their fire starter mutant just got cut for time/casting constraints

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So where the gently caress can I stream this if I live in Europe? It's hilarious that such a great show is so unavailable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Affi posted:

So where the gently caress can I stream this if I live in Europe? It's hilarious that such a great show is so unavailable.

I'm in the UK and I watched in on Sky's thing, NowTV. You can get a one month subscription with no contract, so I just grabbed it for Twin Peaks then cancelled once that finished.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The more time passes the more I think they filmed the pilot ahead of the rest of the show and their fire starter mutant just got cut for time/casting constraints

This seems likely.

They could have lost someone saving him and left that on the cutting room floor, or just decided they didn't need the character.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Me and a friend were catching up on Agents of Shield and Hulu autoplayed the first episode of Legion after AoS ended. Man, even knowing what was going to happen it was just a great episode. My friend has been dragging his feet on watching Legion because [reasons], so hopefully it'll get him to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Just popped in to say that I marathoned this show on Friday and it is awesome.

So today, my roommate caught up on black mirror, and since she seemingly never pays attention to anything she is watching and constantly bombards me with questions about things that happened in the show 20 seconds ago, she didn't notice that black mirror was replaying the season again. I switched on the first episode of Legion for her instead.

She is actually watching it. No questions, no texting people, just watching the show. I'm not sure I've ever seen her this rapt in a show.

Welp, that's my story. Bye.