Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Today I realized the dream and played a Switch on an airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Blade system would have been far, far better if they just had 40 unique blades, no generic blades, and all of those unique blade cores would be unique loot drops, from hidden chests or as sidequest rewards. You could even have the blade you get be random, but you'd always get a unique blade. The generic blades are a glaring incongruity in both the games setting (since I've easily discarded a small army's worth in a world where Blades are considered people) and from a gameplay perspective, because the rest of the game's design seems to reward your exploration with unique rewards and the cores/new blades are the best and biggest reward you could get.

It's so close to perfection, though. In terms of XB1, XB2 has a much better sidequest system, with each quest being a lot more involved than the thousands of kind of identical quests throughout XB1. I also think the map design is just as good if not better, with so many small nooks and crannies that reward exploration intuitively. I remember XB1 being very large, yeah, but the size sort of felt detrimental to exploration after awhile -- I feel like I am actively rewarded for getting lost in the environment.

Common blades also roll their stats at random, so you have the situation of "player got a blade of weapon type X with abilities A, B, F, H, O, Y" that synergize in a way to make the blade a god-tier weapon. Like a Bitball (or whatever) that can recharge arts more quickly and leads to a person using the blade (and maybe some pouch items) to chain-cancel skills indefinitely or something.

That said, I'm dozens of hours in to the game and still enjoying it.

Real hurthling! posted:

Xb2s combat is so much better than 1 tho

It's also a huge improvement from XCX's combat, but that's a low bar to clear considering how much of an annoying clusterfuck XCX's combat system and 4980934980058 subsystems ended up being.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

Best page number/post content combo/snipe

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

what is the screen protector everyone recommends again?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

This fella, the amFilm glass one.: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Waffleman_ posted:

I had a blast with Golf Story on a plane last week. Guy in front of me was playing FF7 on a PSP.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't Epic or whoever drastically lower their fees for Unreal 4 due to the competition presented by Unity?

And I guess there's Amazon's Lumberyard. I hear Star Citizen is using it! :newlol:

There's also Microsoft's XNA or whatever it is now, but that's pretty much Windows and Bone only as far as I know.

I heard recently on a podcast with the guy who made Axiom Verge that XNA is now Monogame and its been ported to PS4 and other platforms. The Xbox One actually didn't support XNA/Monogame until after the PS4.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 17, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thank god you actually can swap r1/r2 in Revs 2. It's just buried in the options under a weird name. I physically could not play with poo poo with R1

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been playing Darkest Dungeon on PS4 all day. This will be a good rear end game for the Switch, assuming they handle the massive amount of text and menus well in portable mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I didnt like their controller ui

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I heard recently on a podcast with the guy who made Axiom Verge that XNA is now Monogame and its been ported to PS4 and other platforms. The Xbox One actually didn't support XNA/Monogame until after the PS4>
Sort of. What happened is that Microsoft abandoned XNA and chose not to support it on the Xbox One.

Monogame is reimplementation of XNA that was originally built to port XNA games to OSX, iOS, Android and other non-Microsoft platforms, but became the de-facto successor to XNA after Microsoft dropped it. There's also FNA which is another reimplementation of XNA but doesn't support consoles.

I don't know why Microsoft abandoned XNA. There's probably a story behind it but I figured it was part of Microsoft's general insanity at the time of the Xbox One launch.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 17, 2017

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

RIP Boeing 747 (Delta is retiring their 747 fleet, they were the last users).

That makes me sad. A 747 was the first plane I ever flew on.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

RIP Boeing 747 (Delta is retiring their 747 fleet, they were the last users).

In the US. There are still European, Asian, ans Australian carriers still operating the 747. For now at least, it’s days are numbered as the 787 and A350 change the market.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 26, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/942303353324761091
Is ARMS still relevant? Nintendo certainly thinks so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Switch really is tits. I am very smitten with this thing. The novelty really isn't the hardware, because it's really just a pretty standard tablet that plugs into a TV. It's that it's a tablet that plugs into a TV and has games that aren't a huge pile of rear end and has an actual controller.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I want to see who will be the first to crack the controller protocol and make floppytron music out of a pile of joycons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

limaCAT posted:

I want to see who will be the first to crack the controller protocol and make floppytron music out of a pile of joycons.

That's just silly.

Clearly the first musical track will be Knee-Deep in the Dead :black101:.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rexroom posted:

It's nice of them to support their game with post-release free updates so even if I don't care about ARMS at all I'm not complaining :shobon:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hey guys, I've recently bought Overcooked for the switch and gave it a shot with a few friends today and the controller lag is a huge problem. It's not a long time, maybe a tenth of a second or something, but in a game that's so focused on frantic twitch running around, it makes it very difficult to play and enjoy.

Is anyone else having these issues? Are there any fixes? People seem to be saying that Overcooked was a bit broken on launch but fine now, but that wasn't my experience.

Apparently my version of Overcooked is 1.1.0 and I even tried updating the controller firmware on the off chance that was causing an issue, but still had the same problems.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the Switch would be dumb and I was wrong. I know everyone itt was waiting with baited breath for me to admit this.

gmq posted:

Huh, I had no idea the Switch had a touch screen.
My thought process for this was literally: "How could you not realize the switch ha- wait the Switch has a touch screen?"

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 17, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought the Switch would be dumb and I was wrong. I know everyone itt was waiting with baited breath for me to admit this.

My thought process for this was literally: "How could you not realize the switch ha- wait the Switch has a touch screen?"

Not having bought one yet (though it's likely just a matter of time), I keep thinking 'yeah, there's a touch screen, so why can't all WiiU games be perfectly ported ov-...ohhhh.....'

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not having bought one yet (though it's likely just a matter of time), I keep thinking 'yeah, there's a touch screen, so why can't all WiiU games be perfectly ported ov-...ohhhh.....'

Just buy two problem solved. :downs:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actual concept art for Breath of the Wild

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm the guy so furious at that design that I broke Link's fingers.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm bucktoothed Link riding that bike.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

veni veni veni posted:

The Switch really is tits. I am very smitten with this thing. The novelty really isn't the hardware, because it's really just a pretty standard tablet that plugs into a TV. It's that it's a tablet that plugs into a TV and has games that aren't a huge pile of rear end and has an actual controller.

Yeah I got mine when the splatoon 2 bundle dropped solely because I like the controller colors. Figured I’d play Zelda and set it down until Mario/other stuff came out.

My PS4 has gotten zero attention. I can sit here and game in a chair on my porch, come in and dock it and play on the tv... I mean my life is a switch commercial. Hell I even played it in NYC last week while watching it snow outside.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Well we got the bike so when’s the DLC to get a sick Flying V coming out?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

[quote="“Guy Goodbody”" post="“479421956”"]
Actual concept art for Breath of the Wild

[/quote]

They can’t just not explain the triforce guitar

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sort of. What happened is that Microsoft abandoned XNA and chose not to support it on the Xbox One.

Monogame is reimplementation of XNA that was originally built to port XNA games to OSX, iOS, Android and other non-Microsoft platforms, but became the de-facto successor to XNA after Microsoft dropped it. There's also FNA which is another reimplementation of XNA but doesn't support consoles.

I don't know why Micrododt abandoned XNA. There's probably a story behind it but I figured it was part of Microsoft's general insanity at the time of the Xbox One launch.

Yeah and also Microsoft owns Monogame now because they bought Xamarin. Granted they bought them mostly for getting C# and .net into phones but still they ended up buying back XNA basically

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They can’t just not explain the triforce guitar

it's really cool but the strings break all the time so you have to constantly replace them

it's a great mechanic

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyone else notice some weird input lag for Romancing SaGa 2? It's not a big deal since it's a turn-based RPG and all, but it's noticeable. Happened for me in both handheld and docked modes.

Otherwise not a bad game, though a decent bit confusing, but I guess that's part of the experience.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Okay, I don't know what the hell is wrong, but I need help.

I have a microsd card in my Switch and I keep downloading XB2 and it seems to finish but always gives me an error. I've downloaded it like once a day for the past week but it never works. What am I doing wrong?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finally played Mario Odyssey (and a Switch!) For the first time in Thursday at Best Buy. I've since spent a significant chunk of my weekend replaying Mario 3D World and this game is so much fun! I forgot how good it is. Once I blast through this I'm hoping to dig into Galaxy 2 for the first time. I know I'm getting a Switch eventually, but it has to wait a few more months. I'm the mean time, I'm remembering how well Nintendo games age. :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Sean posted:

Okay, I don't know what the hell is wrong, but I need help.

I have a microsd card in my Switch and I keep downloading XB2 and it seems to finish but always gives me an error. I've downloaded it like once a day for the past week but it never works. What am I doing wrong?

Your SD card is probably broken. I had a similar issues and my SD just stopped working altogether eventually.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xenoblade is way too unstable for a non autosave game. If the game isnt turned off periodically, like you just use rest mode for a few days, warping to different maps a lot in quick succession doing side quests crashes the game reliably. Its happened three times to me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mega64 posted:

Anyone else notice some weird input lag for Romancing SaGa 2? It's not a big deal since it's a turn-based RPG and all, but it's noticeable. Happened for me in both handheld and docked modes.

Otherwise not a bad game, though a decent bit confusing, but I guess that's part of the experience.

I just randomly stop moving while walking, doesn't happen to me in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Are you complaining

• Locked thread