Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I drive a BBW posted:

I have no desire to get an Apple TV.

I don't mind having to reboot something every few days. The main problem I'm having with the Fire TV stick is that the Emby app just dies on 1080p videos. If one of the Roku sticks can handle the job I'd rather just grab one of those, I just don't know which one to get.

Streaming stick+ can handle 1080p without problems. I feel like I read a thing that said its onboard wireless device is a lot lot better so the problem isn’t a processor issue but that the streaming stick has difficulty maintaining the requisite bandwidth for smooth 1080p playback. It’s capable of doing it, but not “well”. When I tried Roku stuff out I tried the ultra and the streaming stick (non+) and there was a pretty stark difference in reliability.

Of course the processor might still gently caress up running certain apps if the app is poorly made.

I don’t mean to keep tooting the Apple horn but across the board, developers make sure their apps work a lot better/smoother/more bug free for Apple devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

jokes posted:

Streaming stick+ can handle 1080p without problems. I feel like I read a thing that said its onboard wireless device is a lot lot better so the problem isn’t a processor issue but that the streaming stick has difficulty maintaining the requisite bandwidth for smooth 1080p playback. It’s capable of doing it, but not “well”. When I tried Roku stuff out I tried the ultra and the streaming stick (non+) and there was a pretty stark difference in reliability.

Of course the processor might still gently caress up running certain apps if the app is poorly made.

I don’t mean to keep tooting the Apple horn but across the board, developers make sure their apps work a lot better/smoother/more bug free for Apple devices.

Yeah that last part isn't true at all wrt Apple as of late. And I love apple.

If Roku makes the adaptable frame rate better they'll be the best on the market IMO. Better audio format support, great app coverage, good price point.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
How does the Roku Streaming Stick+ compare to the Premiere?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unless you need all the ports the Premiere gives, it's automatically better because it supports HDR.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got a beta invite to the DirecTV DVR beta so hopefully I get selected and can bitch here about how broken it is.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FCKGW posted:

I got a beta invite to the DirecTV DVR beta so hopefully I get selected and can bitch here about how broken it is.

I wish another service would just replicate PS Vue's cloud DVR. It's the best DVR system out of the OTT services that I've tried.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Not gonna lie, just bought a Harmony Elite, and getting it set up so that you can tell a Google Mini (or Alexa) to turn the TV on and off is very cool, futuristic, and lazy. Also setting it up so that it can turn to specific channels on the Tivo seems just like the way to go to make it easy for parents to come over and babysit. The Elite itself is a very nice remote, and it replaces my old Harmony One.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's actually so nice that I'm glad I got the cheapest remote instead of the one with a screen since I only use the remote for volume and do almost everything else through voice commands.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LastInLine posted:

It's actually so nice that I'm glad I got the cheapest remote instead of the one with a screen since I only use the remote for volume and do almost everything else through voice commands.

The only bad thing is that unless there's some way that I don't know about, you can't open specific apps on the Shield TV (you can on Roku), so you do have to use the directional pad. Plus, the cheapest remote only allows 8 devices vs 15 of the Elite. But, I have the 8 device remote in my bedroom where it just needs to control another Shield TV, a TV, and a PS3, and it works beautifully.

My old Harmony One looks sadly on as it becomes obsolete.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Considering they put the zigbee radio into the new Echo Plus, I wouldn't be to surprised to see a Dot Plus with extra radios to basically just replace harmony at their own game. Seems like the tech would be pretty easy, and taking out a connection step would be a big seller to me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Considering they put the zigbee radio into the new Echo Plus, I wouldn't be to surprised to see a Dot Plus with extra radios to basically just replace harmony at their own game. Seems like the tech would be pretty easy, and taking out a connection step would be a big seller to me.

Yeah I don't think they're going to get anywhere near the robustness of Harmony's database anytime soon.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah I don't think they're going to get anywhere near the robustness of Harmony's database anytime soon.

"Hello vendors, in order to place your products on amazon you must work with us to make it compatible"

Wouldn't solve the stuff that already exists, but hey they're amazon and can probably get the same DB that logitech has for harmony up and running in like 1/8 of the time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"Hello vendors, in order to place your products on amazon you must work with us to make it compatible"

Wouldn't solve the stuff that already exists, but hey they're amazon and can probably get the same DB that logitech has for harmony up and running in like 1/8 of the time.

:whitewater:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I want to pick up a good array of channels from roughly this position (it's not my exact address), a decent directional antenna in my roof pointing SW should be enough, and just ignore whatevers north for the most part?

I have one of those indoor flat things at the moment and reception isn't great, so I'd like to boost it up. It was a savior during the hurricane and our cable was out for a while and we wanted to keep up with the news.

https://www.antennaweb.org/Stations...ude=-80.1470482

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I want to pick up a good array of channels from roughly this position (it's not my exact address), a decent directional antenna in my roof pointing SW should be enough, and just ignore whatevers north for the most part?

I have one of those indoor flat things at the moment and reception isn't great, so I'd like to boost it up. It was a savior during the hurricane and our cable was out for a while and we wanted to keep up with the news.

Yeah, that's what I would do. I'd also suggest an amplifier, and use a compass and TVfool.com to figure out your headings.

My location has a similar spread (and similar distances), and I get good results from pointing my out of print indoor antenna at the stations that give me the most trouble, as the others are strong enough that the direction doesn't matter. In the end though you'll probably want to do some experimentation for your optimal direction.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome, thanks. I have a little booster that came with my internal antenna but I’m just gonna presume it’s crap. Can sort it out in stages though at least!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Logitech has literally dozens of patents covering Harmony functionality, notably their Smart State control,

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

My dad got one of these to put in his attic. He's picking up stations from both Raleigh and Chapel Hill which are close to 100 degrees different from where he lives. He runs it into an HD Home run and it works great. He lined them up with TVFool and the compass app on the iPhone.

https://www.amazon.com/Element-Bowtie-Indoor-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B00C4XVOOC/

Here's a cheaper alternative, that has slightly lower ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Signal-HDB8X-NI-Bowtie-Antenna/dp/B00CXQO00K/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got a new chromebook and it offers 3 months of google music for free. Does that include YouTube red or is that a separate entity?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got a new chromebook and it offers 3 months of google music for free. Does that include YouTube red or is that a separate entity?

It includes YTR.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Proteus Jones posted:

My dad got one of these to put in his attic. He's picking up stations from both Raleigh and Chapel Hill which are close to 100 degrees different from where he lives. He runs it into an HD Home run and it works great. He lined them up with TVFool and the compass app on the iPhone.

https://www.amazon.com/Element-Bowtie-Indoor-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B00C4XVOOC/

Here's a cheaper alternative, that has slightly lower ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Signal-HDB8X-NI-Bowtie-Antenna/dp/B00CXQO00K/

Thanks for the recs!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
This is the primo amp. http://a.co/habzRNY

Works like a champ.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best free service with a guide for OTA TV?

I've been playing around with PlutoTV on my Roku television and it's really cool that the interface pulls the OTA channels form my antenna automatically and integrates them seamlessly with Pluto's free streaming channels

Do any other services offer that?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

What's the best free service with a guide for OTA TV?

I've been playing around with PlutoTV on my Roku television and it's really cool that the interface pulls the OTA channels form my antenna automatically and integrates them seamlessly with Pluto's free streaming channels

Do any other services offer that?

Google's LiveTV app for Android TV will do OTA along with Pluto in the same guide. I used it all the time on my Shield.

Now that Amazon Prime Video is on the ATV, I don't really use my ShieldTV anymore. For ATV the Channels app pulls in TV schedules for OTA. Plex does this as well. I'd like to see one of them handle Pluto, because the native Pluto app is kind of rear end.

edit: Oh, free. I don't think there is a free one for OTA on the ATV. And you need to be a Plex Pass user to get live OTA or to DVR OTA.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EugeneJ posted:

Tell me more please. I have my antenna running into my TV and a Roku stick 3600 in an HDMI port. Is this where I need the HD Homerun thing?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

Tell me more please. I have my antenna running into my TV and a Roku stick 3600 in an HDMI port. Is this where I need the HD Homerun thing?

HDHR is a network tuner. You plug it in to your network (wired preferably) and connect an OTA antenna to it. Then you can access it from the Roku wherever.

PlutoTV+Local channels is, I think, the best option on a Roku. On a Shield it's Live Channels hands down (and you can also pull in Pluto with it).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Croatoan posted:

Yeah, I'd think so

If you have a TV with Roku baked in it pulls the OTA channels automatically since the antenna cable is already running into the TV and they're accessible using the Roku interface - Pluto just sees whatever the Roku interface sees as OTA and incorporates them into its programming guide

99% sure it won't work with just a Roku stick

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EugeneJ posted:

If you have a TV with Roku baked in it pulls the OTA channels automatically since the antenna cable is already running into the TV and they're accessible using the Roku interface - Pluto just sees whatever the Roku interface sees as OTA and incorporates them into its programming guide

That is the first argument I've ever heard that made me kinda pro-smart TV.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 21, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As it was an omission when it was first released, an update to Amazon's Prime Video app for the AppleTV enabled 5.1 sound for their UHD content. The update also notes 5.1 will be coming to SD and HD content for both AppleTV models in a forthcoming update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was sent a month free trial of DirecTV Now the other day presumably to lure me back after a week trial I used about a month or so back. I'm still under TV contract with Verizon through June of 2019, so I won't be picking up an OTT streaming service permanently any time soon, but I am going to use DirectTV Now as much as I can in the meantime just to get a feel for it.

This is the time of year when the TV is on a lot for background noise and many stations are doing marathons in one way or another. I've been fairly impressed. With the Roku app, I've had no issues streaming for hours and hours on end with no disconnections or drops in quality. In fact, it was very easy to forget that I was watching something streaming at all rather than watching normal FiOS service.

Without DVR, I still couldn't use this as a primary service, but that's coming. I also really would rather have 5.1 audio. Really though, the rate at which all of these services have been maturing is astonishing when you reflect that against the snail's pace of the traditional cable industry. I have no doubt that in 1.5 years time when I can get out from under the TV portion of the FiOS service, there will be something out there with all the features and quality I could want.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Anyone have a 500 GB Tivo bolt that does OTA with HD antenna? It says it's compatible, and all the specs list it as such, but I swear when I bought it said it was cable-only. Maybe that was only the 3TB option?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rick posted:

Anyone have a 500 GB Tivo bolt that does OTA with HD antenna? It says it's compatible, and all the specs list it as such, but I swear when I bought it said it was cable-only. Maybe that was only the 3TB option?

That was the 3TB one, which was originally sold as the "Bolt Plus." I know I was looking at doing the $99 lifetime service transfer option to a 500GB model to use with my antenna, but decided not to pull the trigger since I still didn't think $300 was compelling for the little OTA TV I still watch anymore.

This is still the case now on the "Bolt Vox;" the 500GB and 1TB models can do OTA but the 3TB doesn't.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m beta testing the DTVNow DVR and t works pretty well. It didn’t record an NFL game but I’m not sure if it was just an error or some type of content blocking.

They did an overhaul of the UI which I think works much better. It’s switched to a light theme now, the shows displayed in the guide now give program info when you highlight them and everything seems a little easier to navigate. Swiping on ATV doesn’t bring up the guide or menus anymore which is good for me because I swipe by accident all the time (probably allows for 3rd party remotes to work too).

It seems pretty feature complete so I’m guessing it will be out soonish.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kitten smoothie posted:

That was the 3TB one, which was originally sold as the "Bolt Plus." I know I was looking at doing the $99 lifetime service transfer option to a 500GB model to use with my antenna, but decided not to pull the trigger since I still didn't think $300 was compelling for the little OTA TV I still watch anymore.

This is still the case now on the "Bolt Vox;" the 500GB and 1TB models can do OTA but the 3TB doesn't.

Awesome, thank you. I would probably not buy it if I didn't already have it, and honestly I'm not sure if I'm going to keep paying for service for very long if I do cord cut.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rick posted:

Awesome, thank you. I would probably not buy it if I didn't already have it, and honestly I'm not sure if I'm going to keep paying for service for very long if I do cord cut.

Yeah, I'm using a lifetime subbed Premiere I bought around Christmas of 2010. I had cable until 2016 and over that time the TiVo paid for itself 3x vs Spectrum's DVR fees.

Now that I'm not paying for cable, the payoff math on a new DVR box is a lot sketchier since there's not an easy comparison, and I just can't come up with a good reason to upgrade it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rick posted:

Yes, I do.
Mine is running off the cable card and does OTA too. I specifically bought it because of that. I wasn't sure if stupid Comcast was ever going to be able to get the cable installed and wanted the option of OTA.
I also have a TivoHD (before Premiere) sitting around unused that I have run off of both OTA and cable card.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Jesus loving christ I hate cable companies.

My credit card number was stolen. I got a new card. I forgot to change my autopay. Literally paid an hour after I got the declined email, and I get hit with a 30 dollar fee.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TLG James posted:

My credit card number was stolen. I got a new card. I forgot to change my autopay. Literally paid an hour after I got the declined email, and I get hit with a 30 dollar fee.

It sucks to have your card info stolen, but not fixing your payments was 100% your fault.

If it's the first time it's happened you can most likely call in and get it waived.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

otter posted:

Yes, I do.
Mine is running off the cable card and does OTA too. I specifically bought it because of that. I wasn't sure if stupid Comcast was ever going to be able to get the cable installed and wanted the option of OTA.
I also have a TivoHD (before Premiere) sitting around unused that I have run off of both OTA and cable card.

Oh that is good to know that you can do both. There area a couple local channels that are only available via antenna. Not . . . that they have much interesting on there, but if I ever change my mind about that it's good to know I can do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

TLG James posted:

Call in and tell them why you're not paying their bullshit fee. Don't ask them to waive it, tell that that they're going to or you'll cancel. Retentions will bend over backward to keep you, and will probably also throw a better offer at you.