Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

CrazyTolradi posted:

TBH I don't think Chris even gave a crap about all those mouldy boxes Ben got. Chris strikes me as the sort of person only to care about his past accomplishments when it can be used as a way to convey his sense of ego and imagined abilities as a developer, but I don't imagine for one second he has any kind of sentimental attachment to those things.

They're used only as a tool to convince people to give him money.

Toops fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Latin Pheonix posted:

Claim 5: CIG breached Crytek's copyright by chowing Cryengine's code on Bugsmashers and third parties.
Ok, this one is outside my comfort zone, but I suspect it will be down to legal and expert opinion in this case. The main issue at hand is 'how much exposure of code in Bugsmashers is enough to constitute a breach?'. This is something that would require some degree of expertise in US copyright law (which I don't have since I trained in the UK) so I can't really answer this and would also likely require expert testimony in the form of a game developer. In addition, whether or not CIG was sharing code with Faceware is something that could only be determined by seeing what evidence Crytek has to show this. Do note, though, that Skadden wouldn't flippantly make such claims without some drat good evidence/legal knowledge to back them up.

As an interested layman, let me theory-craft and lawyers can pull me up on points if I get insufficiently accurate:

All things considered, if it was non-API engine sourcecode they're definitely in trouble. The API however is published, anyone can google it, and there are precedents that make pursuing a case based on API a lot harder but who knows? Maybe Skadden found a technicality in the contract that directly impacts the API they can use. API's (application programming interfaces) are by normal definition public-facing, but that's not always true. You can't simply call them your own (ie infringe copyright), that's partly why API's are publically documented.

Let's look at a couple of cases:

1) Famously, SCO blundered when it tried to claim copyright AND trade-secret status over Unix API's, not realizing that a good chunk of them are long-ago publically published and forms part of the C standard library. What really toppled them was that any ownership over the API was lost in a previous case (USL vs Regents of California), but the out of court settlement was secret. When the settlement by agreement was made public in order to counter SCO's claims, their case completely collapsed. USL had originally claimed Berkeley Unix had stolen AT&T-owned code, but they had to settle the case when it was pointed out how much USL had in turn stolen from Berkeley Unix (literally slapped their own copyright over Berkeley's)! All trade-secret code was declared public and only a few pieces of code had to be altered to satisfy copyright. Technically you probably can't call the settlement a "precedent" but good luck avoiding mention of it in a similar case and it strengthens the precedent actually set, that a non-secret API is essentially a public document. If you want way too much detail on this, go to http://groklaw.net/ Most of the filings in the SCO trials are there, it's an in-depth education.

2) There is a case running right now, Oracle vs Google, where Oracle is trying to appeal a judgement that Google did not infringe its copyright/trade secrets because it implemented the Java API "clean-room", that is, they took the public code and wrote internal code that gave the same results back. This is Oracle purely trying to make a buck on buying Sun and Java but the case explicitly hinged on whether the API was public or protected and sorry Oracle, it's public, even the former owner of Sun said so. This is not a good precedent-in-progress if Skadden is hoping to do something based on the API.

3) My assumption is that UNLESS and ONLY UNLESS there was a specific reference to keeping all code including the API as trade secret in the contract, then all bets are off. CIG/RSI could probably fairly argue that that was an unfair condition of the contract based on precedent. however it's a bit late to use that particular argument only when you stand to lose by it! But: unless either side can show a history of argument over such a clause, their case would be weakened too I would think. You can't declare a public history of violation and be unable to document your response. This was something gone over again and again in the SCO trials, the responses by Novell and IBM bear particular study: their cases were actually strengthened by discovery and not just what they got but the manner in which SCO tried to frustrate the process (no doubt realizing they had zilch).

We can assume that discovery is the last thing CIG/RSI want, but a case this strong cannot be dismissed without it. All they can do is, like SCO, drag things out, and hope the other side finds it too expensive to continue. I'm guessing Skadden has made the bet that if that happens, it's still worth it or they wouldn't have taken the case on. Delaying tactics only increase awarded costs! Anyway, that's my 2c based on following the twisty turns of other copyright cases.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr.Tophat posted:

Lesnik chasing a small child in a video where he wants to eat her is more hosed up.

Okay, look, I don't like Ben, but it's pretty clear that this was some kind of video for some kind of arty college film or something. It was not a documentary, nor something he shot himself.

There's plenty of stuff he has done and said which he and he alone is responsible for.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

FailureToReport posted:

I think this is the most amusing part, because any time someone says anything to me I get called part of a cult/Derek Smart/etc. Honestly it was CIG's behavior and the communities behavior that finally pulled me out of the Matrix, it had nothing to do with Derek or someone saying "Oh hey, this is all a scam!".

It's a real shame that Citizen's don't get the credit they deserve for helping to pull others out of the nightmare.

Bonus laughs to the Goons who know how i got here

:getin:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

If I remember correctly, Ben bought that stuff because it was being evicted from storage and was destined for the dump.

It survived for decades, somehow, yet in the era of effortless crowdfunding and before an easily contacted assembly of Wing Commander nostalgiacs with proven money to burn on that which fires sentimental memory neurons, the archives were suddenly facing existential threat?

“A clock is ticking. Will you save them — save these priceless artifacts from destruction and ensure their safe passage into the care of a trusted custodian whose salvage mission has the sanction of the Chief Wing Commander himself?”

”Save Wing Commander!”

Some of it came, I believe, from Chris’s abode — seems like Sandi’s joked about it before and mentioned getting things to Ben for safe-keeping (i.e. reclaiming extremely high dollar-per-foot floorspace for used fit for human eyeballs.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 18, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — In the $600 billion annual Defense Department budgets, the $22 million spent on the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program was almost impossible to find.

in case anyone missed it aliens are actually real

also

Shear Modulus posted:

the pentagon killing the alien-monitoring program makes perfect sense because the last thing the pentagon wants is to redirect money towards studying advanced aircraft that can actually fly

:lol:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ewe2 posted:

As an interested layman, let me theory-craft and lawyers can pull me up on points if I get insufficiently accurate:

All things considered, if it was non-API engine sourcecode they're definitely in trouble. The API however is published, anyone can google it, and there are precedents that make pursuing a case based on API a lot harder but who knows? Maybe Skadden found a technicality in the contract that directly impacts the API they can use. API's (application programming interfaces) are by normal definition public-facing, but that's not always true. You can't simply call them your own (ie infringe copyright), that's partly why API's are publically documented.

1) Famously, SCO blundered when it tried to claim copyright AND trade-secret status over Unix API's, not realizing that a good chunk of them are long-ago publically published and forms part of the C standard library. What really toppled them was that any ownership over the API was lost in a previous case (USL vs Regents of California), but the out of court settlement was secret. When the settlement by agreement was made public in order to counter SCO's claims, their case completely collapsed. USL had originally claimed Berkeley Unix had stolen AT&T-owned code, but they had to settle the case when it was pointed out how much USL had in turn stolen from Berkeley Unix (literally slapped their own copyright over Berkeley's)! All trade-secret code was declared public and only a few pieces of code had to be altered to satisfy copyright. Technically you probably can't call the settlement a "precedent" but good luck avoiding mention of it in a similar case and it strengthens the precedent actually set, that a non-secret API is essentially a public document. If you want way too much detail on this, go to http://groklaw.net/ Most of the filings in the SCO trials are there, it's an in-depth education.

2) There is a case running right now, Oracle vs Google, where Oracle is trying to appeal a judgement that Google did not infringe its copyright/trade secrets because it implemented the Java API "clean-room", that is, they took the public code and wrote internal code that gave the same results back. This is Oracle purely trying to make a buck on buying Sun and Java but the case explicitly hinged on whether the API was public or protected and sorry Oracle, it's public, even the former owner of Sun said so. This is not a good precedent-in-progress if Skadden is hoping to do something based on the API.

3) My assumption is that UNLESS and ONLY UNLESS there was a specific reference to keeping all code including the API as trade secret in the contract, then all bets are off. CIG/RSI could probably fairly argue that that was an unfair condition of the contract based on precedent. however it's a bit late to use that particular argument only when you stand to lose by it! But: unless either side can show a history of argument over such a clause, their case would be weakened too I would think. You can't declare a public history of violation and be unable to document your response. This was something gone over again and again in the SCO trials, the responses by Novell and IBM bear particular study: their cases were actually strengthened by discovery and not just what they got but the manner in which SCO tried to frustrate the process (no doubt realizing they had zilch).

We can assume that discovery is the last thing CIG/RSI want, but a case this strong cannot be dismissed without it. All they can do is, like SCO, drag things out, and hope the other side finds it too expensive to continue. I'm guessing Skadden has made the bet that if that happens, it's still worth it or they wouldn't have taken the case on. Delaying tactics only increase awarded costs! Anyway, that's my 2c based on following the twisty turns of other copyright cases.

Take the fact that they changed positioning to 64 bit. That alone puts them well past the API layer, and deep into the dark caverns of CryEngine.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ewe2 posted:

API stuff.

I highly doubt it's API stuff CIG has been showing and sharing. They look like core engine files.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

most upvoted comment

:laffo:

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 18, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

It survived for decades, somehow, yet in the era of effortless crowdfunding and before an easily contacted assembly of Wing Commander nostalgiacs with proven money to burn on that which fires sentimental memory neurons, the archives were suddenly facing existential threat?

“A clock is ticking. Will you save them — save these priceless artifacts from destruction and ensure their safe passage into the care of a trusted custodian whose salvage mission has the sanction of the Chief Wing Commander himself?”

”Save Wing Commander!”

I believe the story because it literally looked like overdue studio storage that has been sitting there untouched since the cartoon was made.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ewe2 posted:

Here is the real question. Where was the contract with Skadden and CryTek signed and agreed upon? Depending on the nation, Parliamentary Rules can be in effect. Meaning that Court Costs and Attorney fees are attached and added to the bill. No matter what country it was tried in, the original client contract is binding. Skadden can blister that rear end for as long as it takes. Cig is mostly depleted and not liquid enough to handle such a costly battle to even get through Discovery. There is nothing and no front that there is even a CIG after the first volley of motions from Skadden. They are not in the business of playing around.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Let's not forget this is the same Firm that kicked The Zuck right in the balls for $500Mil. Excuse me CIG?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Zzr posted:

My own cat for cattaxe :

a beauty

make sure you get the hip checked regularly when he/she grows up

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
One last one before the year ends.

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

All guesses / prizes / donations will be taken in before Thursday.

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Can I go for a TriplePost?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

your best one today, a few ml of fine single malt exited through my nostrils

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

XK posted:

I believe the story because it literally looked like overdue studio storage that has been sitting there untouched since the cartoon was made.

I wouldn’t claim to be an expert on this particular topic — I zone out at protracted mentions of Wing Commander unless they pertain to tales surrounding it’s actual development — but if memory serves there was an EA archive and a crap Chris can’t let go of collection. The former may have existed due to negligence, the latter due to carefulness.

Yet (saints be praised) the entire lot of it is finally receiving both homecoming and reunion from the man none would doubt cares more than all — Mr. Ben Lesnick.

In many respects, the GoFundMe echoes the David Ladyman Star Traders arc. And like that construct, which also received sanction by Chris and promotion to the assembled housefile of Cloud Imperium Games, they’ve served (I believe) as a means for CIG to transition salaries salaried workers to temps while securing a crowdfunded pension for the dearly departed paid for by those who’ve proven highly pliable when Chris deems the effort worth their hard-earned money.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 18, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part is how the only time Sandi ever looked remotely believable was in that demo reel of her abusing an employee. Which actually happened.

:(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Abuminable posted:

If they get the injunction, it will be over faster than a glazed dozen within arm's reach of banditloaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJLOd8EN6k&t=148s

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I think the stuff in storage was exclusively related to the Wing Commander cartoon show. Nobody on the planet would care about that except for Ben, and some maroons he roped in for donations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

I wouldn’t claim to be an expert on this particular topic — I zone out at protracted mentions of Wing Commander unless they pertain to tales surrounding it’s actual development — but if memory serves there was an EA archive and a crap Chris can’t let go of collection. The former may have existed due to negligence, the latter due to carefulness.

Yet (saints be praised) the entire lot of it is finally receiving both homecoming and reunion from the man none would doubt cares more than all — Mr. Ben Lesnick.

In many respects, the GoFundMe echoes the David Ladyman Star Traders arc. And like that construct, which also received sanction by Chris and promotion to the assembled housefile of Cloud Imperium Games, they’ve served (I believe) as a means for CIG to transition salaries workers to temps while securing a crowdfunded pension for the dearly departed from those who’ve proven highly pliable when Chris seems the effort worth their hard-earned money.

English for the inebriated?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

There was the other collection of stuff Ben was going through and digitizing during work hours. That was Chris's private collection of Wing Commander movie and video game stuff.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

One last one before the year ends.

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

All guesses / prizes / donations will be taken in before Thursday.

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

I'm going ten million again. They came close last time and this time they've got the extra "help us fight the evil Crytek" card to play.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like to picture Cryteks legal team skadden as

and the awesome legal team CiG will get to demolish the evil CryTek & Skadden

The lawsuit is going to be glorious, hopefully it'll be livestrimed on twitch and we can all Rub in Uncle D's Discord. :grin:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

I highly doubt it's API stuff CIG has been showing and sharing. They look like core engine files.

There's a screenshot from Bugsmashers where they were modifying files in \GameDev\CryEngine\Code\CryEngine\CryCommon\

If you're changing, adding, removing stuff in the common engine libs, you're well past the API layer.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

DapperDon posted:

Let's not forget this is the same Firm that kicked The Zuck right in the balls for $500Mil. Excuse me CIG?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

Chris Roberts has a very rich history of loving over people that choose to do business with him.

So you're saying that he is the Donald Trump of game devs?

Would explain a /lot/ when it comes to :reddit:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

They've shown API sort of stuff both during there live shows and on the various YT video's they upload/edit/re-upload.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

DapperDon posted:

Can I go for a TriplePost?

Skadden rn:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hobold posted:

So you're saying that he is the Donald Trump of game devs?

Would explain a /lot/ when it comes to :reddit:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Toops posted:

Skadden rn:

Exactly. This is a mountain of Legal poo poo nobody really wants in their lives.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Toops posted:

Skadden rn:

CIG rn:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

In many respects, the GoFundMe echoes the David Ladyman Star Traders arc. And like that construct, which also received sanction by Chris and promotion to the assembled housefile of Cloud Imperium Games, they’ve served (I believe) as a means for CIG to transition salaries workers to temps while securing a crowdfunded pension for the dearly departed from those who’ve proven highly pliable when Chris deems the effort worth their hard-earned money.

DapperDon posted:

English for the inebriated?

English is as good a language as most when you’re drunk!

If by asking that, though, you’re asking me to rephrase the post, I can do so.

It seems to me like the “let’s all help Ben Lesnick’s GoFundMe campaign to Save Wing Commander!” push (which CIG and Chris used their marketing resources to goose) echoes the “Let’s help David Ladyman’s campaign to bring back the Star Traders board game in style!” campaign which enjoy the same assistance and endorsement from CIG.

Early on in that, I voiced suspicions that the entire thing might be laying the groundwork for David Ladyman to transition from a full-time salaried CIG writer to a part-time contractor. The extra marketing push from CIG (and it was pretty significant - including Livestream beg-a-thons of the sort Garriott has turned into a monthly SOTA life support system) looked to me like Chris taking care of his most trusted loyalists. And the campaign, with all of its ludicrously Arched art, was ultimately enough of a success to get the game (and I think Dave Ladyman) out. Chris Roberts blessing did make the difference, of that I have no doubt.

So with that as preamble, I wonder if the same phenomenon took place for Ben Lesnick. The GoFundMe campaign also got special CIG support and was I guess a success, and it wouldn’t be surprising if it corresponded with Lesnick’s transition from salary to a part-time worker. It’s just about the most elegant way to alleviate any guilt one might feel for laying off a party who truly does worship the ground you walk on. While I think Chris is fantastically borked up in many respects, I don’t think he’s without the capacity to feel such things and want to use his station and resources to help his loyalists even as he sends them off. So that’s what I think maybe happened here. Again.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 18, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Also seems like i have finally managed to find a fitting theme song (apart from EWEs masterpieces)

Crytek wants it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

Listen all you people, come gather round
I gotta get me a game plan, gotta shake you to the ground
Just give me what I know is mine
People, do you hear me, just give me the sign

It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth
Here's to the future for the dreams of youth

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

juggalo baby coffin posted:

that gif of wtfo assaulting that poor lady is one of the most disgusting things ive seen, and i've been on the internet for a very long time.

i hope the worst for him.

who did a what now

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
I remember when I was with CIG. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into kickstarter to scam the whales. We left the kickstarter after we had scammed the whales for their money, and this fat man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't say. We went back there and Skadden had come and demanded every scammed jpeg. There they were in a file: a file of little jpegs. And I remember I...I...I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized, like I was shot — like I was shot with a diamond...a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God, the genius of that. The genius! The will to do that: perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand it. These were not monsters. These were men, trained lawyers — these men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who have children, who are filled with love — but they had the strength — the strength! — to do that. If I had ten shell companies of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to litigate without feeling, without passion, without judgement. Without judgement! Because it's judgement that defeats us.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I guess it’s cool now that everybody is so very desperate for even a tiny amount of good news to come from CIG that there are people hinging themselves on whether or not CIG can somehow show something from Squadron 42.

It’s important to remember what you are hoping for here though:

An arena shooter, with levels separated by cutscenes, that has (allegedly) the ability to have different story branches for different outcomes (your missions and cutscenes are different).

They have already shown this stuff with Arena Commander from 5 years ago. Just instead of endless waves it’s set numbers of waves. Maybe have your wingman make a funny quip at the end or beginning of each level.

I’m glad CIG has set the bar so loving low that people are desperate to see some kind of progress on a type of game even basic studios can belch out in a year or two.

Arena Commander levels. Separated by cutscenes.

gently caress guys. Really? For your sakes, I sure hope CIG doesn’t let you down. They can literally just change up an Arena Commander level a bit and then show you guys some fancy motion capture people talking and that’s it... Star Citizen is saved despite the impending legal battle, despite the technical impossibilities.

Probably the really best part is that nobody really wants Squadron 42. Nobody except Chris Roberts anyway and maybe like 12 backers. Everybody else is buying stuff for Star Citizen.

As far as I’m aware, nobody has yet to buy “16 missions for Squadron 42” packs or anything. Nobody cares about Arena Commander separated by cutscenes, regardless of who the high profile actors are talking in them.

Your bar is so low it’s already in the space toilet. Just waiting for somebody to flush it at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

who did a what now

SC streamer and pick-up-artist, WTFosaurus, gets invited onto another streamers show last xmas to play a game of D&D, WTF gets stuck into someone elses booze and makes a mess of himself, before getting a bit grabby with the host by putting his hands around her neck and slobbering on her face.