Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
What's the best app for cropping screenshots? I have Snapseed but that's way overkill and takes a lot of clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Google photos

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

Google photos

It's not a bad suggestion in that it gets the job done. Unfortunately it's about as many clicks as Snapseed. Not a big deal, I just wondered if there were a simpler app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

It's not a bad suggestion in that it gets the job done. Unfortunately it's about as many clicks as Snapseed. Not a big deal, I just wondered if there were a simpler app.

It's definitely fewer taps and is much faster than Snapseed, I use that method myself. There's not really a better alternative outside stuff like Samsung's built in editor (which really isn't that great and is unique to their devices)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

QuickPic's built-in editor wouldn't be bad for that. It even presents itself as 'edit in edit' in Google photos as well, so it shouldn't matter too much which one is the default picture viewer when you tap the 'you've made a screenshot' notification.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

What's the best app for cropping screenshots? I have Snapseed but that's way overkill and takes a lot of clicks.

There is an app called screenshot crop and share that I like, it automatically pops up after you take one and you can either save share or crop in one tap. It also has a brush tool if you need to black stuff out

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 11, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

clamiam45 posted:

If 5 or 6 taps is too many for you then I guess we have wildly different ideas about what simple means

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What's the best Android equivalent app to Apple's Passbook? For tickets, mainly.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an app that takes a systematic approach to learning mathematics, from pre algebra through algebra and beyond. I feel like the Khan academy app is good, but I don't want to have to watch videos for everything. I don't mind if it costs something. There are just a few holes in my understanding and I want to be able to go through everything and make sure my everything is solid.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's the best Android equivalent app to Apple's Passbook? For tickets, mainly.

Google keeps track of your tickets for you, n'est-ce pas?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

Google keeps track of your tickets for you, n'est-ce pas?

Sort of. Take ticketfly for example, the barcodes are right in the email body when I purchase and pkpass files for Passbook are attached. Sometimes, Google will pop up a QR code when it's concert time, but those never work and I'm not sure where the QR code is from as the tickets are barcodes. It's a pain to open my email client and pull up the email body to scan when I enter the venue, and I'm jealous of how seamless it is for my buddy and his iphone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Take a screenshot of it and set it as your lockscreen wallpaper

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sort of. Take ticketfly for example, the barcodes are right in the email body when I purchase and pkpass files for Passbook are attached. Sometimes, Google will pop up a QR code when it's concert time, but those never work and I'm not sure where the QR code is from as the tickets are barcodes. It's a pain to open my email client and pull up the email body to scan when I enter the venue, and I'm jealous of how seamless it is for my buddy and his iphone.

You can store most things passbook does with android pay
I usually just stick QR codes in keep and pin ones I know I'll need urgently; keep opens quicker than the various passport alternatives I tried

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

You can store most things passbook does with android pay
I usually just stick QR codes in keep and pin ones I know I'll need urgently; keep opens quicker than the various passport alternatives I tried

No Android Pay for my bank, I can't activate the app :( Hence my search for a Passbook equivalent. You're definitely right, I could just pin the email that has the barcodes in Inbox, I'm just a little envious of how seamless it is on my friends iPhone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I installed Fenix for Twitter, and I have a question. Previously I'd set the official twitter app so it notified me when there were new posts from some of the accounts I follow... Does Fenix not do that? I checked in the options and activated "capture twitter notifications", but this way I get no notifications from the Twitter app and no notifications from Fenix (except for the built-in notifications it has, for when someone @s me or DMs me or the like). Am I doing something wrong?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

I installed Fenix for Twitter, and I have a question. Previously I'd set the official twitter app so it notified me when there were new posts from some of the accounts I follow... Does Fenix not do that? I checked in the options and activated "capture twitter notifications", but this way I get no notifications from the Twitter app and no notifications from Fenix (except for the built-in notifications it has, for when someone @s me or DMs me or the like). Am I doing something wrong?

Third party apps can't do push notifications. You have to have the original app (or the lite version) installed and then the third party app can capture that notification and pass it along. If you were getting notifications from the official app you should get all of the same notifications from Fenix since they're coming from the same place. If you aren't, then that's a problem with Fenix (I found Fenix to be quite buggy compared to Flamingo when I was using it in beta but then, it was a beta.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lately I've noticed that SwiftKey isn't inserting a prediction and space when I hit the period while typing words. I swear it used to do that, and now it's really messing me up while typing. Am I misremembering, or is there a setting I can't find somewhere? It works as I remember for other punctuation like exclamation points and question marks.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's still doing all that for me, and I have the 'auto capitalize' setting checked.

However I have noticed recently that SwiftKey is more likely to suggest wrong spellings for things as the default instead of, well, correct spelling. I don't know why this is happening.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

Lately I've noticed that SwiftKey isn't inserting a prediction and space when I hit the period while typing words. I swear it used to do that, and now it's really messing me up while typing. Am I misremembering, or is there a setting I can't find somewhere? It works as I remember for other punctuation like exclamation points and question marks.

The only time it doesn't add a space after a period for me is if the "word" starts with a number.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

The only time it doesn't add a space after a period for me is if the "word" starts with a number.

Yeah, that's how it used to be. I'm on the beta, so maybe there's something there? I just can't shake the feeling that I messed up a setting somehow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hooah posted:

Yeah, that's how it used to be. I'm on the beta, so maybe there's something there? I just can't shake the feeling that I messed up a setting somehow.

I looked through the settings and didn't see anything about punctuation, but though I swore it was there.

I did see that my setting for "enter the suggestion when you hit space" wasn't toggled even though it's always worked like that. I left it untoggled, and it stopped adding a word when I hit space. So I went back in and toggled it again. Weird.

I'd blame Beta. I'm on 6.7.3.28.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Anyone here use a package tracking app? It looks like there a few popular ones. Slice was recommended by a older pcmag article. Apparently, it accesses your emails to find tracking info. While convenient, I would prefer something that isn't so invasive. Is there an app that lets you put in tracking numbers manually that anyone can recommend? Or do they all generally have a lot of permissions? What do you use and why do you prefer it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I use aftership, you can have it check your email but don't have to. It syncs your stuff in the cloud so it can sync across devices and has a decent interface. 17track is also good but I find the aftership auto detects the carrier slightly better than 17track

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing a bit more digging around, and ended up going with package tracker express. It's pretty minimalist, doesn't have a widget, and you can enter codes manually. Not many app permissions too.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Someone in this thread recommended Deliveries and I've used it ever since, it's very good.

Re: Google poo poo: If you want YouTube without ads on your phone try out NewPipe, it's an open source YouTube replacement with all the bullshit cut out.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does Spotify work seamlessly with Google Assistant/Home?

So seamlessly that my Home plays all music from Spotify, even though GPM is set to my default! :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nova Launcher pro is a dollar. I didn't know launchers were still so popular but the Reddit thread regarding it is pretty hilarious with people saying how good it is and others asking what it is.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Nova Launcher pro is a dollar. I didn't know launchers were still so popular but the Reddit thread regarding it is pretty hilarious with people saying how good it is and others asking what it is.

I tried using the stock launcher on my new Pixel 2 XL. I lasted about 3 days before I went back to Nova.

It's just so good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I last about an hour every time I get a new phone. I'm sick of the stock launcher by the time I'm done setting up my apps.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Nova launcher is actually awesome, don't fall into the goon "I didn't know people still used x :smug: " trap my friend

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know, the days for janitoring just about anything on my Android phones are long gone. The stock Google/Moto launcher works great and I haven't seen the need for a different launcher for years.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The permanent search box drove me off the google launcher in around 5 seconds flat, but I'm sure other people want it there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I don't know, the days for janitoring just about anything on my Android phones are long gone. The stock Google/Moto launcher works great and I haven't seen the need for a different launcher for years.

I mean you kinda just set it up the way you like it in 15 minutes or so and than that's it. Wouldn't really call it janitoring. Not like you're clearing out cache files and poo poo lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nova launcher is actually awesome, don't fall into the goon "I didn't know people still used x :smug: " trap my friend

Nova launcher is best. The betas kinda hit and miss so stick with the release versions.

Another hot take, Poweramp best music player.

Please sign up for my newsletter

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Has anyone has sending/receiving MMS issues since upgrading to 8.1?

I'm using stock Messenger app on a pixel XL and it was working just fine prior to the upgrade. I cleared the cache/restarted the phone to no avail. I then switched over to Textra and back to Messenger while refreshing cache/restarting.

I'm so tired of all the on again/off again MMS issues I've had on Androids over the years. :cripes:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Nova makes my Samsung tablet usable.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Khablam posted:

The permanent search box drove me off the google launcher in around 5 seconds flat, but I'm sure other people want it there.

The search box is good, much like the Nintendo Switch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

The search box is good, much like the Nintendo Switch.

Agreed.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I actually use the search box now that it is at the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Kinda wish the search box would open your results in full chrome rather than the weird chrome tabs thing, but whatever.