Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think it's kind of a goofy thing to get hung up on? The fact is that Rogue pioneered the idea of a randomly generated game world with unknown power-ups.
Like, are you one of the people who thinks we should call them Procedural Death Mazes?

It just kind of seems like saying you instantly ignore any game with the word "platformer" in the description because our world is a gently caress with games like Bubsy and Giana Sisters (both versions, for both franchises :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah people are dumb as hell

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's been genericized enough that it means any game where you start from the beginning each time you play (and even some games where you have permanent upgrades from run to run). this stuff happens to language.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

Just wanted to remind people that Pinball FX3 (free download)'s promotion with the three free tables ends tomorrow (12/19). I downloaded it last night and have been having a blast.

Too late :negative:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Yooka Laylee. I don't find the criticism of big empty worlds accurate at all, every part of each world seems to have a puzzle or challenge in it. The criticism of a lack of enemies is true, those are sparse and useless, but frankly I'd be happier if there weren't any enemies at all so I don't mind them not being very prevalent.

I've got about 9 hours in the game now, have all the moves, have every level in varying states of completion and just finished collecting everything in the first world.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

"Smash TV-like" doesn't roll off the tongue as well

Did you check your tv and Switch settings?

I did. I actually had it docked the first time I booted it and the picture was fine. My settings on the switch are set to automatic. When I docked it while playing Mario I had the problem. Maybe it was just a fluke. I'll have more time this evening to fart around with it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

Someone made another game about Chopin?
Totally different, this one is Chopin back from the dead, Eternal Sonata was Chopin in a coma :eng101:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fold a piece of paper and put it under the dock to tilt it a little in the opposite direction of where the image is sliding off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like Yooka Laylee. I don't find the criticism of big empty worlds accurate at all, every part of each world seems to have a puzzle or challenge in it. The criticism of a lack of enemies is true, those are sparse and useless, but frankly I'd be happier if there weren't any enemies at all so I don't mind them not being very prevalent.

I've got about 9 hours in the game now, have all the moves, have every level in varying states of completion and just finished collecting everything in the first world.

You may have sold me on this game as enemies in 3D platformers are kind of bad.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Fold a piece of paper and put it under the dock to tilt it a little in the opposite direction of where the image is sliding off.

I expect better from a Tool Time host.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MassRafTer posted:

You may have sold me on this game as enemies in 3D platformers are kind of bad.

This game has five basic enemies.

Little dudes that run around and die in one hit and their bosses that die in two hits. There's little clusters of them scattered about in works.

gently caress you I'm a bee. Bees that shoot homing missiles, you have to stun them to attack them, actually pretty annoying but not common and you can go around.

Big ogre guy. They do more damage and take at least enough hits I've never bothered to actually kill one.

Squids underwater. Avoid or use a Sonic burst attack to kill.

Laser robot: stationary and more of an obstacle than a enemy.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Anyone play Spatoon 2? I've been trying the PVE mode with the salmonids and so far it's pretty miserable. People ignoring team-mates constantly or just running enemies into each other in a panic to get the golden eggs. I'm not sure I really see the point, especially when PVP is so fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Heart+Slash sounds familiar but can't remember if anyone actually picked that up a while ago, unless I'm mistaking it with something else and this is brand new?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

A Spider Covets posted:

Anyone play Spatoon 2? I've been trying the PVE mode with the salmonids and so far it's pretty miserable. People ignoring team-mates constantly or just running enemies into each other in a panic to get the golden eggs. I'm not sure I really see the point, especially when PVP is so fun.

Salmon Run is great but at the lower difficulty levels you’re probably getting paired up with literal children.

Group up with goons or friends or stick with it and get to Profreshional where the pubbie players are generally more competent.

Unless you’re already at Profreshional, in which case, I’m sorry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Spider Covets posted:

Salmon Run is probably my favorite mode. Get up to Profressional and people will mostly not be shitheads. I report/block intentional douchbaggery and just block imbeciles.

I can just play it for hours but I usually stop when the gaps start appearing in the rewards - it's like a message to me to go do something useful with my time.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Heart+Slash sounds familiar but can't remember if anyone actually picked that up a while ago, unless I'm mistaking it with something else and this is brand new?

It's a game that's been out for a whil3 on steam and ps4. It's pretty fun but a little shallow. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a good 3d action game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

A Spider Covets posted:

Get into the nintengoons discord. People are still doing Salmon Run as organized teams with voice chat and poo poo on a regular basis.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yukka Laylee would benefit from a world map, not even one that shows you your location, just one that gives an overview of the world you're in. I keep getting lost or missing new areas of the levels once they expand. I must have had a better memory before I started smoking so much weed, I don't remember having issues with Banjo Kazooie. Of course I also had a lot more free time then so maybe that's the big difference.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
$250/$430 goal for Switch+BotW+Pro Controller. Getting close to joining the Switch ranks!

I am excite.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In Mario Kart 8 Is it even possible to beat 200cc with the lightest characters?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://twitter.com/LuisSuarez9/status/943149609467117568

:getin:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

In Mario Kart 8 Is it even possible to beat 200cc with the lightest characters?

I found they're actually the best. I beat almost all of 200cc with Isabelle, Biddybuggy, Leaf or Shy Guy, City Tripper, Roller. If I really felt like I needed more weight I swapped Shy Guy out for Luigi. Sometimes just changing your weight a bit can shake you out of a losing streak.

The thinking is the lower top speed keeps you out of trouble and the higher accel helps you bounce back more quickly.

The nice thing about light karts on 200cc is you can still get away with auto accelerate on, which makes braking a little more intuitive after you get used to it. The biggest hurdle I found was getting over the mental hump of "boost jump off everything always." There are some spots, and you really just have to learn them, that you are much better off going into a turn having NOT boosted out of a bump because you can't control yourself through the upcoming turn.

You're not going to set any WRs that way, but you'll star the cups pretty easily.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't think I ever realized changing drivers made a difference. I just always picked Waluigi and called it a day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you don't main Isabelle in MK8, are you even a real person?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I doubt it's even possible to build a setup so weird that it's not possible to clear every cup in the game.

I was bummed to find I really didn't click with the entirely gold setup. I ran a half dozen races online with it after I unlocked everything and went back to my standard setups. Showing off wasn't worth losing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lower weight classes are pretty important to beating 200cc. in 150cc i'll rock Roy all day but for 200cc top speed becomes less important and handling/traction is Very Important, so I'd use Lemmy instead

also somethign that's real important in 200cc that you don't normally have to do is brake mid-drift to control your speed

source: got all gold trophies + 3 stars on all 200cc cups

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Thanks guys, I'll just grind up to Professional then and see how it is. I'm not too big on voice chat these days, but I might pop into nintengoons at some point. :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That guy still has a real long way to go before I see anything in my mind besides him trying to eat people with those big ol' Gary Busey chompers

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Someone photoshop Luis Suarez as a Chain Chomp.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His sweater coming under his leg looks like pissed himself with tar

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Last night I only tried docking my Switch once and it didn't work very well. I had Mario running and docked it and the image on my screen was shifted several inches to the left. Does anyone have a bunch what caused it?
My one TV does this to the right but it self corrects after a few seconds and only when it first gets dropped in. Both of mine are Visio's. The difference is the other goes through a receiver and the goofy one has one of those boosted HDMI cables. I want to say it's the TV cause I think I've seen my surface computer do the same thing when I plug it in on the TV EDIT: when using the same wire, I pull it from the dock into the Switch.

I also remembered this particular setup also gets really touchy when I pull the power supply for the dock to travel with. If I try to plug the power right back into the dock without removing the HDMI cable it simply doesn't send a signal properly. I have to unplug both, power first, then HDMI to make it happy again.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 19, 2017

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

My one TV does this to the right but it self corrects after a few seconds and only when it first gets dropped in. Both of mine are Visio's. The difference is the other goes through a receiver and the goofy one has one of those boosted HDMI cables. I want to say it's the TV cause I think I've seen my surface computer do the same thing when I plug it in on the TV EDIT: when using the same wire, I pull it from the dock into the Switch.

I also remembered this particular setup also gets really touchy when I pull the power supply for the dock to travel with. If I try to plug the power right back into the dock without removing the HDMI cable it simply doesn't send a signal properly. I have to unplug both, power first, then HDMI to make it happy again.

My girlfriend's Visio does the exact same thing when booting up either the PS3 or PS4 so I'm pretty sure it's a TV brand thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

"Smash TV-like" doesn't roll off the tongue as well
Smash TV wasn’t random :colbert:

Also what’s the most Smash TV like in terms of uh...arcadeyness? Like simpler and more manic from the start and just progress and keep killing things without stopping for whatever upgrade mechanics outside of new weapon drops.

LethalGeek posted:

My one TV does this to the right but it self corrects after a few seconds and only when it first gets dropped in. Both of mine are Visio's. The difference is the other goes through a receiver and the goofy one has one of those boosted HDMI cables. I want to say it's the TV cause I think iv'e seen my surface computer do the same thing when I plug it in on the TV.
I’d guess initial device and TV sync up just trying to figure each other out what signal works for both.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I haven't had an honest to God console (even if this is only sorta-kinda one) in probably eight or so years, generally scoffing at them as far inferior to PC games by and large. I got a raise earlier this month though, and wanted to give myself some kind of gift both for that and the holidays, so I decided on a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild (gets delivered tomorrow.) For all my scorn of consoles in general, I'll be damned if I'm not finding myself looking forward to some good old fashioned couch gaming again.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have an older Vizio and don't have any issues like that. I have my Switch, Wii U, SNES Classic, and my PS3 hooked up to one of these HDMI switches and it does just fine. Flickers once as it does the CEC thing, but that's about it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Backhand posted:

I haven't had an honest to God console (even if this is only sorta-kinda one) in probably eight or so years, generally scoffing at them as far inferior to PC games by and large. I got a raise earlier this month though, and wanted to give myself some kind of gift both for that and the holidays, so I decided on a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild (gets delivered tomorrow.) For all my scorn of consoles in general, I'll be damned if I'm not finding myself looking forward to some good old fashioned couch gaming again.
The moment you remember you can pull the Switch out and keep playing when you have to go sit on the toilet will be very :aaaaa:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think we can all come together and agree that the most pedantic answer is Gungeon is an Isaaclike.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Checked out an EBGames to see what the used games landscape looks like, and Rayman Legends is on sale for $25 CAD today. The co-op on Rayman Origins was really fun, so the possibility of having that on the go was a no-brainer so I picked it up with Mario Kart.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

irlZaphod posted:

If you don't main Isabelle in MK8, are you even a real person?

Black Shy Guy user checking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I play as Isabelle in the Mercedes because Isabelle is a good dog who deserves to spend her time on the road in a nice car.

• Locked thread