Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly you can just, like, run around a corner and crouch and they'll forget you're there in about ten seconds. Fun game though. I like having a couple of absurdly beefy lads blowing things up while my stealth and hacker stroll in in the background

yeah its not exactly liek its high level ai, i shot a drone down in the middle of the markets after it caught me high jacking a person and not a single person could find the squad hiding in the cover they just fired from after i did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Thats another thing, stealth games often work in having you play with less itneresting mechanics and have you wait too long in between attempts at doing whatever it 8s youre doing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant remembrr who said it but stealth games are sorta like puzzles where you have to figure out a solution, and imagine if some other genre like a shokter made you play a less fun version of the game minutes at a time each tome tou failed or if layton had you do worse puzzles each time you got it wrong. Thabkfully a lot of stealth games lately give you a lot of options but sometimes it comes w8th you being overpowered (dishonored)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm convinced that all stealth games are puzzle games, it's just that some of them (like maybe Hitman) are more overt .

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm convinced that all stealth games are puzzle games, it's just that some of them (like maybe Hitman) are more overt .

I agree but really you can look at any genre that isn't reflex/reaction heavy the same way. Ammo management, resource balancing, party composition etc can all be boiled down similarly. It's fun to do if you have a diseased brain like myself. Which is odd bc I get bored of puzzle games really quickly lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I agree but really you can look at any genre that isn't reflex/reaction heavy the same way. Ammo management, resource balancing, party composition etc can all be boiled down similarly. It's fun to do if you have a diseased brain like myself. Which is odd bc I get bored of puzzle games really quickly lol

Yeah, I'm the same way - I like games such as the ones you've described, but I can never get into puzzle games, no matter what. Unless of course the puzzle game in question is a bridge builder; those are amazing (I always love making bizarro death-trap bridges that manage to achieve the goal of letting a particular car/bus/whatever over it, but at a great cost to anyone else following)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive never felt like playing a bridge builder again after i played pontifex for 24 hours straight at a lan when i was 14

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

well i exaggerate a little.. i would stop for around half an hour at a time to win games in the dessert combat tournament i was in with my friends

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way - I like games such as the ones you've described, but I can never get into puzzle games, no matter what. Unless of course the puzzle game in question is a bridge builder; those are amazing (I always love making bizarro death-trap bridges that manage to achieve the goal of letting a particular car/bus/whatever over it, but at a great cost to anyone else following)

You should check out Portal dude. Funny as gently caress.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

You should check out Portal dude. Funny as gently caress.

Oh whoops, I'd forgotten about Portal! I enjoyed that one, too. Although I dunno, I just don't lump it in with all the other puzzle games out there, I guess. It's just such a classic

EDIT: Oh also, (slightly more on-topic) last night I was sneaking through a ship while playing Heat Signature, trying to rescue my character's brother (personal mission after liberating a heap of random stations) when someone spotted me for a second from down a hallway while I was carrying my brother back to the ship.
But while this happened, a sentry gun turned and faced me, then immediately fired a shot (while I was thinking "OH poo poo", for obvious reasons) right at the same instant when the guy who saw me for a second (only long enough to get curious, not enough to trigger an alarm) teleported over directly next to me to investigate, between myself and the sentry, then took the bullet right in the same split-second it was fired!
I got away clean thanks to him - but no thanks to me blundering my escape though. :D There are a surprising amount of cool moments in that game.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 21, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I hope In Training meant the new Portal Bridge Builder game and is not sassing the Major. It looks cool.

also Heat Signature owns

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the loving up in stealth is why invisible inc is so good. its more a strategy game so its not like action/platformer stealth games but you can rewind an action or turn a certain number of times per level so theres an added decision of if you make a mistake you can go back instantly to do it over and remain stealthy, or decide to try to fight/sneak your way out of the mistake if it looks like you can.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finally got around to playing Chaos Theory (my first Splincter Cell). Game seems really cool so far, it looks great for its age but the controls are kind of weird. Think they'll be good when I get used to them though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chaos Theory is still probably the best SC game, with Blacklist being a distant second. Both of those games also broke me out of ever wanting perfect stealth runs in games because after enough times being spotted I wanted to murder everything on the map.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The soundtrak in chaos theory is really understated and also reeeeaaal good. Worth loving up here and there to hear some of the added instrumentation

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

The soundtrak in chaos theory is really understated and also reeeeaaal good. Worth loving up here and there to hear some of the added instrumentation

i still listen to the ost every now and then, its so great

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I actually got into splinter cell because I heard amon tobin composed for it lol

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yes, it's Amon Tobin all the way; I bought the soundtrack on itunes, it's great.

Chaos Theory is one of the all time great stealth games - although I played it again recently and found that some of the Korea levels were kind of lacklustre. But then again there's so many great setpieces there that it doesn't matter much. I think the boat is my favourite.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Splinter cell was such a cool series. I remember playing the first one and being blown away when you are boarding the oil rig

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
chaos theory's so good, the co-op and multi were awesome and i miss them

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

my morning jackass posted:

Splinter cell was such a cool series. I remember playing the first one and being blown away when you are boarding the oil rig

That asymmetrical multiplayer gameplay has always been on my "video games I want to make because nobody else seems interested in making these types of things anymore" bucket list along with SWAT4/RavenShield, Uniball, and ChainOfCommand. I successfully recreated it in Arma 3 a couple of years ago but it didn't get any attention outside of my personal social circle.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Speaking of which, I remember how in Chaos Theory (in the Japan mission I think, with the nightingale floors) there's a guy talking to his buddy about how his unit was attacked by a "ninja"/Sam while they were on a certain oil rig, talking about how the ninja was a ghost, slipping through the facility undetected, etc. :v: (Naturally I let that guy live, in all my playthroughs; even if I was playing aggressively)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, I remember how in Chaos Theory (in the Japan mission I think, with the nightingale floors) there's a guy talking to his buddy about how his unit was attacked by a "ninja"/Sam while they were on a certain oil rig, talking about how the ninja was a ghost, slipping through the facility undetected, etc. :v: (Naturally I let that guy live, in all my playthroughs; even if I was playing aggressively)

If you nab him he says something like, "Oh cool, I'm gonna be killed by a ninja!"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you nab him he says something like, "Oh cool, I'm gonna be killed by a ninja!"

haha I remember that now - I love how he wasn't concerned about his wellbeing, only that he had been captured by a REAL ninja!! :D

Also, I agree with LSD. The versus multiplayer from Splinter Cell was just SO good - I can't believe how The Ship's gameplay was taken and used in Assassin's Creed, yet no other games have utilized SC's versus multiplayer mode. Just seems like such a missed opportunity.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

That asymmetrical multiplayer gameplay has always been on my "video games I want to make because nobody else seems interested in making these types of things anymore" bucket list along with SWAT4/RavenShield, Uniball, and ChainOfCommand. I successfully recreated it in Arma 3 a couple of years ago but it didn't get any attention outside of my personal social circle.

The second game was the one that introduced the multiplayer right? I played that a lot and it was cool.

SWAT 4 is so loving good still but some of the mechanics are out of date to the point of being frustrating when you are doing really long missions with many enemies. The simple, kinda real world stuff at the start of the game still shines. Raven Shield has awful AI but it’s still fun when you play small maps. The linear ones kinda suck now.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

SWAT 4 is so loving good still but some of the mechanics are out of date to the point of being frustrating when you are doing really long missions with many enemies. The simple, kinda real world stuff at the start of the game still shines. Raven Shield has awful AI but it’s still fun when you play small maps. The linear ones kinda suck now.

I try every now and then to open up the Unreal Engine and try to recreate these games I mentioned on my bucket list but I usually just sort of burn out due to motivation issues. Here's what I did recently trying to imitate the whole SWAT 4/Raven Shield co-op terrorist hunt thing but with cylinders and cubes and poo poo because I suck at art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDenMy_5ME

Making stuff like that is one of those pipe dream things for me. I called that thing above "Prism 9" as a knockoff of "Rainbow 6".

edit-- but yeah, the Splinter Cell thing is absolutely another of those pipe dreams like with SWAT 4.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 22, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone played/heard of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun by any chance? (Link to the Steam store page) It does look quite interesting - sort of like Commandos, maybe? Except it's (as the title indicates, naturally) about ninjas, etc. assassinating people.
So yeah, it does look quite good, but I haven't actually heard anything about it, so I'm not sure if it's as good as the videos and screenshots make it out to be; especially at $20 in this day and age.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Blades of the Shogun is one of the best tactical stealth games out there. I gave it a very brief mini-review a few pages back. To sum it up: if you don't play Blades of the Shogun, the Elders of Stealth Gaming will hang their heads in shame.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Blades of the Shogun is amazingly good, but be aware that it is very difficult, much like the old Commandos.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well then, sounds like I might need to get it! :D (Also, although high difficulty in itself is fine, is there a manual 'save any-time' system, or at least a good/frequent auto-save system? Since that'll definitely make things easier, if so)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Yes, you can (and will, hundreds of times per level) quicksave/load whenever you want.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yes, you can (and will, hundreds of times per level) quicksave/load whenever you want.

Alright cool, sounds good to me - I hate having to replay levels (or just large portions) if I make a mistake

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The game will actually remind you to quicksave every ~20 seconds or so.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

The game will actually remind you to quicksave every ~20 seconds or so.

:allears: In games like this I'd love the ability to be able to watch a real-time replay of the mission after you complete it, so you can see how your hours of work turn into a few minutes of perfectly-timed maneuvers and assassinations. Probably a bit too much to ask for I guess, for the game to record it, in addition to processing everything else that's going on.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Has anyone played/heard of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun by any chance? (Link to the Steam store page) It does look quite interesting - sort of like Commandos, maybe? Except it's (as the title indicates, naturally) about ninjas, etc. assassinating people.
So yeah, it does look quite good, but I haven't actually heard anything about it, so I'm not sure if it's as good as the videos and screenshots make it out to be; especially at $20 in this day and age.

Yah its p good

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

:allears: In games like this I'd love the ability to be able to watch a real-time replay of the mission after you complete it, so you can see how your hours of work turn into a few minutes of perfectly-timed maneuvers and assassinations. Probably a bit too much to ask for I guess, for the game to record it, in addition to processing everything else that's going on.

While it's not as cool as that, you do have a "tandem task execute" kind of mode that lets you queue up your dudes to do a bunch of things at the same time. So task 1 might be the ninja throwing a shuriken at a guard, task 2 might be the sniper shooting a second guard, task 3 could be the samurai sneaking past the gate and then task 4 would be the rogue making a distraction. Press a button, and they all do everything at once.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

This was cool in frozen synapse

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

agreed i always think that while playing turn based strategy games as well

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loved the Super Meat Boy level replay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

This was cool in frozen synapse

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loved the Super Meat Boy level replay

Oh yeah, I remember that now! I always like it when games incorporate that feature; especially in Frozen Synapse (I guess mainly due to the more competitive/pvp nature of it?) since then you can watch through it once or twice and easily pick out your rookie errors, to improve on next time.

In other news, I've bought Shadow Tactics! Didn't expect it to be 10GB, but once that's downloaded (hopefully tonight; see how it goes. We've still got terrible internet down here) I'll have to give it a go!