Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

crabrock posted:

here's an island for .16 if you want it. No idea if it has enough to complete the game, but looks like it?

>>>eNptUT8sA1EYf5/rUSXSoYuExtC1IhgkpPdMBuko2Jzeq1xSd3LX
DhgYSAzEYmFhRWIziEUiERKShslGLAaCSFhIfV/7Xq9pfMn3u9/3/d7
7/rxjLMoaGWO63hrKuGYupOmRjDs3J7yk6wmMmjNewRJJ1yap0RK+8P
KapoUsu/yNCEfMzienTV9gpM94pu8jCdue68gKId90LBL9vOtQQs97Q
tCploJnOnZhlg5iyODXOvhaXokz8tIS6ymVyJEVcURyNGCACWV6Jmdn
s4x1DZMDwGLsaORxYcuAit7NJXmXmYlTmXlYlWTiUJK1c0n4riJLimx
y6CvbpxGQSq88VpZNwjwgFXGFRICN1+O974tiCn72P27T01MG2J1j6W
jhLYViE23VUIWdbbITtQFTNR8MKd0bcHNN9mKATjdiBHwA4WwUXzHah
mxvHaGrg6nRUqpMjEO2bF9qkydF7oz6PRIchqh4nOCSoNywOhlIOskr
Qnug4tVeVtveCpa7Uh3Pa1rXzZBQM/Tzf1aoyyRqHj5CfawqPGvVIfA
Fi00qwn+rscDejfHBcO4PoDmS2g==<<<

hnnng I'm so tempted to restart with this map.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Artillery is good. Atomic artillery is amazing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Artillery firing rate research

Nuclear shells

Fire for effect

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

This is wonderful :swoon:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Goon Island for 0.16 :siren:

So I reinstalled 0.15, restarted Goon Island, then updated it to 0.16. The map exchange key doesn't work like it did before but fear not friends, here is a copy of my save game:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hbS8jtJbyht_tOnQKlmypKmrjFFFOZJW
Save it into your "C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\saves" folder

I haven't had much of a look around yet but I can't see any cliffs on the island, no idea how far out they might start to appear on the mainland; cleverer Goons than me might know how to make them generate on the island etc.

Made as a clean save with no mods. I think resource settings were for a railworld/RSO type game

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Made as a clean save with no mods. I think resource settings were for a railworld/RSO type game
Resource distribution is part of the share string, so it doesn't matter if you have RSO or not. For a given share string the resources will always be the same.

Given the huge amount of resources on Goon Island I assume it was originally generated with rich resources.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 19, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Bomb enemy base with random junk to clog their conveyor belts :haw:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Easy question:

What is chunk-aligned? I'm assuming it has something to do with a overlaid grid on the world map. Is there some kind of hot key that will show me the "chunks?"

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

sharkbomb posted:

Easy question:

What is chunk-aligned? I'm assuming it has something to do with a overlaid grid on the world map. Is there some kind of hot key that will show me the "chunks?"

You are correct, press F4 and check "show_tile_grid"

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/2dfbbw/tip_how_to_toggle_the_display_grid_onoff/

To make it easily toggle-able via F5

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

qne

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Collateral Damage posted:

Resource distribution is part of the share string, so it doesn't matter if you have RSO or not. For a given share string the resources will always be the same.

Given the huge amount of resources on Goon Island I assume it was originally generated with rich resources.

It definitely matters if you have RSO or not, the mod changes how resources are generated using the maps distribution settings, which is all the share string includes.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

crabrock posted:

here's an island for .16 if you want it. No idea if it has enough to complete the game, but looks like it?

>>>eNptUT8sA1EYf5/rUSXSoYuExtC1IhgkpPdMBuko2Jzeq1xSd3LX
DhgYSAzEYmFhRWIziEUiERKShslGLAaCSFhIfV/7Xq9pfMn3u9/3/d7
7/rxjLMoaGWO63hrKuGYupOmRjDs3J7yk6wmMmjNewRJJ1yap0RK+8P
KapoUsu/yNCEfMzienTV9gpM94pu8jCdue68gKId90LBL9vOtQQs97Q
tCploJnOnZhlg5iyODXOvhaXokz8tIS6ymVyJEVcURyNGCACWV6Jmdn
s4x1DZMDwGLsaORxYcuAit7NJXmXmYlTmXlYlWTiUJK1c0n4riJLimx
y6CvbpxGQSq88VpZNwjwgFXGFRICN1+O974tiCn72P27T01MG2J1j6W
jhLYViE23VUIWdbbITtQFTNR8MKd0bcHNN9mKATjdiBHwA4WwUXzHah
mxvHaGrg6nRUqpMjEO2bF9qkydF7oz6PRIchqh4nOCSoNywOhlIOskr
Qnug4tVeVtveCpa7Uh3Pa1rXzZBQM/Tzf1aoyyRqHj5CfawqPGvVIfA
Fi00qwn+rscDejfHBcO4PoDmS2g==<<<

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:siren: Goon Island for 0.16 :siren:

So I reinstalled 0.15, restarted Goon Island, then updated it to 0.16. The map exchange key doesn't work like it did before but fear not friends, here is a copy of my save game:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hbS8jtJbyht_tOnQKlmypKmrjFFFOZJW
Save it into your "C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\saves" folder

I haven't had much of a look around yet but I can't see any cliffs on the island, no idea how far out they might start to appear on the mainland; cleverer Goons than me might know how to make them generate on the island etc.

Not empty quoting to save for later.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone else notice that Tier 3 Productivity module research only requires purple (Production) research while the other two tier 3 module researches require yellow (High Tech, a higher tier of research pack).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

FISHMANPET posted:

Anyone else notice that Tier 3 Productivity module research only requires purple (Production) research while the other two tier 3 module researches require yellow (High Tech, a higher tier of research pack).

High-Tech and Production research are parallel tiers, though. You don't need one to use the other, or research a good portion of their tech. Productivity modules are directly related to production, while the other two have a large array of other applications. I think the split makes sense.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 19, 2017

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's a surprising amount of research (mostly military) that requires Yellow packs but not Purple. I found this out the hard way playing a ribbon world where I ran out of stone (needed for stone bricks for electric furnaces for purple packs).

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Solumin posted:

I believe you're correct, judging by a quick glance at the Lua api.

surface.get_tile_properties(position) will yield a table with a scad of terrain gen "base" statistics for that tile.

code:
aux
available_water
cliffiness
distance
elevation
starting_area_weight
temperature
tier_from_start
get_tile_properties was removed a few versions ago (due to being bugged) which dismayed me because I was using it to detect starting area size (without relying on a hardcoded lookup table and mapgen info, which stores it as a string; e.g. "low"). I asked for it back and was humored (cliffiness and aux are new).

Foehammer posted:

You are correct, press F4 and check "show_tile_grid"

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/2dfbbw/tip_how_to_toggle_the_display_grid_onoff/

To make it easily toggle-able via F5

If you're averse to using debug info, you can also use shift-space to pause, but then you won't be able to look around.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Looking for ideas/feedback on Nuclear Locomotives.

Where should my nuke locos fit now that Factorio has that annoying gimmick "nuclear fuel" item? Acceleration-wise, where should nuke locos sit relative to rocket fuel/nuclear fuel?

What about max speed?

I wanted to have nuclear locos be suited to heavy trains that stop and start, but lose out for long, light trains (like a passenger shuttle). Should I keep trying for this?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Where should my nuke locos fit now that Factorio has that annoying gimmick "nuclear fuel" item? Acceleration-wise, where should nuke locos sit relative to rocket fuel/nuclear fuel?

What about max speed?

I wanted to have nuclear locos be suited to heavy trains that stop and start, but lose out for long, light trains (like a passenger shuttle). Should I keep trying for this?

Yeah, I keep trying to find reasons to do more than 4 wagon cargo trains.

You know, besides the 100 car FARL.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't you need an extra wagon now, for the artillery?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, I keep trying to find reasons to do more than 4 wagon cargo trains.

You know, besides the 100 car FARL.

I've been running 6 car trains for a few months. They're mostly just large and unwieldy. The one thing I like about them is that the output translates cleanly into 6 full blue belts

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Poil posted:

Don't you need an extra wagon now, for the artillery?

If you were gonna do that, you'd need to tack on an extra car on top of that as an ammo collier. :v:

I haven't gotten to artillery trains yet, but I imagine just putting a bunch of dedicated artillery sniper spots around the periphery of one's base.

Has anyone played with the artillery yet? Does it have circuit conditions?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can't it load up with shells at the drop off station, where you supply new fuel? I just want to put one on each train regardless of whether it's needed or not.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Learning that science packs can be pulled out of labs, allowing you to create daisy chained labs using inserters has to be the best thing I've found out so far.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Learning that science packs can be pulled out of labs, allowing you to create daisy chained labs using inserters has to be the best thing I've found out so far.
Wait, what? That's amazingly convenient. And I should probably have realized that already after setting up inserters in the same way for gun turrets.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Note that you lose a bit of research performance by doing so since it takes a few seconds for science packs to propagate through your lab chain, but it's a fairly irrelevant loss.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nalesh posted:

It's handy for getting science started up, but it's mega inefficient because inserters are constantly taking science packs out of labs. I like braided belts for science a lot better:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Collateral Damage posted:

Note that you lose a bit of research performance by doing so since it takes a few seconds for science packs to propagate through your lab chain, but it's a fairly irrelevant loss.

That sounds like a problem that can be solved with more labs and science production.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My personal favorite approach is the rainbow/sushi belt:

(I've never actually done this in-game, but I really want to.)

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's handy for getting science started up, but it's mega inefficient because inserters are constantly taking science packs out of labs. I like braided belts for science a lot better:

This is what I do, especially now that there are eleventy-billion different science packs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GotLag posted:

What about max speed?

Personally, I've used your Nuclear Locomotives in 0.15 mainly as a passenger shuttle and FARL locomotive. I mostly use short, single-purpose trains that just go between a single pick-up point and a single drop-off point, so I don't particularly care if my cargo trains are slow, but I want max speed when I'm rushing out to outposts or expanding my rail infrastructure. I'm not really sure what a long heavy train that stops and starts a lot would be useful for, honestly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

This is how I set up mine

Also, can someone explain what FARL does for me? I know it has something to do with laying tracks, but I feel like it has to be more than that with how popular it is.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Also, can someone explain what FARL does for me? I know it has something to do with laying tracks, but I feel like it has to be more than that with how popular it is.

It removes trees that were in the way of the tracks. At train speeds.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

LLSix posted:

It removes trees that were in the way of the tracks. At train speeds.

And fills in water when you drive over

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, you can use it to lay out more complex things in a single run, like a signalled four-line mainline with circuit-network-connected power poles down the middle and an aesthetically pleasing concrete pattern.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Artillery is kind of weird in that the stack size is 1 (aka it doesn't stack) unless you put it in an artillery wagon in which case it stacks to 100. So if you want to supply a fixed artillery position the best way to do it is to use an artillery wagon. In which case you might as well just park the wagon and let it do its thing.

And I think that otherwise the artillery wagon act as normal wagons as far as circuits from the station go. At the very least, you can use empty and full conditions in the train directions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jabor posted:

Also, you can use it to lay out more complex things in a single run, like a signalled four-line mainline with circuit-network-connected power poles down the middle and an aesthetically pleasing concrete pattern.

Can you post your blueprints? I've had a lot of trouble getting FARL to do anything more complicated than a basic four-line.

I've seen posts about high security rail lines created by FARL but I've not been able to figure out how to make one that wasn't just a solid line of turrets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nalesh posted:

You put it in a train locomotive, load a cargo wagon up with train supplies (rails, signals, power poles, and whatever else you want), hit the "Start" button, then drive the train off in the direction you want to go. It'll take stuff from the cargo wagon and place it around the train according to a blueprint you create. It places rails in front of the train connected to the existing track, so you can just keep rolling forward into areas that don't have any rails at all; by default, it also places a second track a few squares to the side, and it places signals and big power poles at regular intervals. By tinkering with the blueprints, you can have it put concrete down, or walls, or turrets, or all sorts of other things. It's a bit unintuitive to use, though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Radarplus for RSO is the only mod I'm still waiting on for .16. Are there other decent radar mods?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

LLSix posted:

Radarplus for RSO is the only mod I'm still waiting on for .16. Are there other decent radar mods?

I'm using Advanced Radar. It's pretty similar, except that the improved radar requires some (fairly shallow) research and has a different cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

What about max speed?

I haven't used your nuclear locomotives, but nuclear trains are something I've thought a lot about. What they mostly lead to was wanted an entire rework of locomotives in general.

Here is my thinking:

There should be multiple types of train engines. There should be electric engines, steam engines, and diesel engines. Electric engines could be powered either by powered rails, like a subway/metro system or by a generator car. This means you could have burner generator cars and nuclear generator cars. Steam powered trains would require fuel, water and a boiler car. The boiler car could be a burner or nuclear boiler.

So yeah, I'm talking about a big revamp of trains that might not even be modable. I haven't looked into modding the game at all. But we're talking about bigger trains here.

But think of the possibilities if there were a train car that was a mini nuclear power plant. You could have a train drive out to mining station under nuclear/electric power, and then while it's parked there, power the mining station.