Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nevermind, I'm a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Thanks anyway! Out of curiosity, when did you get your email, and do you receive other emails from Plex? I haven’t received an email from them in years...I’m wondering if I didn’t accidentally opt out of promotions from them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I get emails from them regularly about new features and launches.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

It was totally this. I connected a USB 3.0 500GB external and adapted it to internal storage and as far as I can tell it's completely fixed the issue, thanks all.

Check the Plex user forums for recommended USB 3 thumb drives. I have the Samsung one from the list in both my Shields configured as adopted storage and it's been fine.

Also when it comes to thumb drives whatever you do don't buy the little ones that barely stick out of the port; first there's no point to it (you aren't going to see the thing anyway, the ports are in the back) and second when used as adopted storage they get super hot and lead to all kinds of trouble. If you want something slim that doesn't block the other port and in general isn't a giant blinking thing sticking out the back of the Shield get the Samsung slimline drive.

Spindle drives and rando MicroSD cards are just asking for trouble with adopted storage.

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
I am looking into upgrading my Plex server set up (my current desktop that I use for this is dying). I'm fairly inexperienced with these things so I wanted to run this by the experts (you guys) before I buy anything.

Essentially I want to have a small desktop as the server, and a USB docking station with the peripherals attached. That way I can plug my laptop in to the docking station for a home office deal, while just plugging the desktop in when I need to gently caress with it. So I'd keep the desktop plugged into power and ethernet and maybe an external HD at all times, and then have the monitors, keyboard, and mouse in the docking station. And then I could switch the desktop and my laptop in and out of the dock as needed.

So my question is, first, does that make sense? I'm new to this set up so I'm not sure I'm going about this the right way. Secondly, would the equipment below be well-suited to this task?

Desktop: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883284749
Docking station: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V2HRMJ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AY2XWKUDGT9

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Dawg you're gonna be better off with a KVM switch. Whatever video GPU an $80 usb3 item is packing is probably bad, especially if your laptop has any juice under the hood at all.

Desktop looks fine as long as you're cool with throwing out the whole thing or digging through eBay if the PSU dies. If all it's doing is Plex, though, you might be better off with a Shield, which costs about the same, uses less power, and can pull double duty as server and client. Plus it saves you all the KVM switch poo poo.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 18, 2017

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

PosteriorChain posted:

I am looking into upgrading my Plex server set up (my current desktop that I use for this is dying). I'm fairly inexperienced with these things so I wanted to run this by the experts (you guys) before I buy anything.

Essentially I want to have a small desktop as the server, and a USB docking station with the peripherals attached. That way I can plug my laptop in to the docking station for a home office deal, while just plugging the desktop in when I need to gently caress with it. So I'd keep the desktop plugged into power and ethernet and maybe an external HD at all times, and then have the monitors, keyboard, and mouse in the docking station. And then I could switch the desktop and my laptop in and out of the dock as needed.

So my question is, first, does that make sense? I'm new to this set up so I'm not sure I'm going about this the right way. Secondly, would the equipment below be well-suited to this task?

Docking station: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V2HRMJ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AY2XWKUDGT9

Why do you need a screen and keyboard hooked up to the plex server? Just administer it remotely via remote desktop or ssh.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Plex has just released Plexamp for music which seems pretty decent so far if you just want an unobtrusive standalone desktop player. It's got some improvements over the web player (gapless!) which I hope eventually get backported, this looks good for now though.

Download: https://www.plex.tv/plex-labs/#plexamp

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 18, 2017

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
Thanks for the advice ya'll. As a newbie to these things I didn't consider the Shield or just using remote desktop to control a PC. I have a few different options to look into now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Horn posted:

Why do you need a screen and keyboard hooked up to the plex server? Just administer it remotely via remote desktop or ssh.

That's what I do. My plex server is my old computer sitting in the garage with nothing plugged into it except Ethernet and power.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Man, using the Plex DVR with commercial skip is a game changer for recording football games. The whole thing is like an hour now!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I remember when I had gamepass a 3hr30 game would shave down to 2hr30 the next day when they’d strip the commercials.

Does the Plex system work well? Anyone had it remove something it shouldn’t? I’m intrigued how it’ll handle something like SNL that has little interstituals in the feed, maybe it’ll do a better job than me with my FF button.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PosteriorChain posted:

Thanks for the advice ya'll. As a newbie to these things I didn't consider the Shield or just using remote desktop to control a PC. I have a few different options to look into now.

If you want an easy remote desktop solution, I suggest Chrome Remote Desktop; it makes accessing and setting up a remote PC really simple. I use it to manage my brother's and a friend's Plex server remotely.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Stockwell posted:

Plex has just released Plexamp for music which seems pretty decent so far if you just want an unobtrusive standalone desktop player. It's got some improvements over the web player (gapless!) which I hope eventually get backported, this looks good for now though.

Download: https://www.plex.tv/plex-labs/#plexamp

drat and I just renewed my Subsonic license. It looks interesting and it'd be one less program running.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I remember when I had gamepass a 3hr30 game would shave down to 2hr30 the next day when they’d strip the commercials.

Does the Plex system work well? Anyone had it remove something it shouldn’t? I’m intrigued how it’ll handle something like SNL that has little interstituals in the feed, maybe it’ll do a better job than me with my FF button.

As far as I could tell it didn't remove anything it wasn't supposed to. There were a couple commercials it partially skipped (out of like 40 breaks though) and it had an issue where if it partially skipped then the audio was out of sync by a few seconds until the next commercial break.
Wasn't a big deal for a football game because you just had ambient noise of the game. In a normal TV show you wouldn't have nearly as many breaks anyways.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah a football game is definitely a good test for sure. That sounds promising - I'd rather have partial breaks than miss bits. Be nice if you could then flag in/out elements later on if you wanted to archive a recording for whatever reason.

Just picked up a HD Homerun from another goon and it seems pretty fun. I only have a single cable hookup point in the house, but my emergency indoor aerial is working well and I should be able to expand live TV to the other rooms easily now.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

and it had an issue where if it partially skipped then the audio was out of sync by a few seconds until the next commercial break.

This happens pretty often for me on my appletv, but exiting out and going back in fixes the issue.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just fyi for anyone on the fence. I bought a new tv that supports the native plex app and it's great

Way better than using an older Apple tv with the hacked in app

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Blue On Blue posted:

Just fyi for anyone on the fence. I bought a new tv that supports the native plex app and it's great

What TV?

My old 2013 LG LN5400 is pretty sluggish with the Plex app, DLNA is nice a quick (but lame looking).

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Moey posted:

What TV?

My old 2013 LG LN5400 is pretty sluggish with the Plex app, DLNA is nice a quick (but lame looking).

LG 49UJ6300

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yerrr fancy 2017 model is nice and fast.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Stockwell posted:

Plex has just released Plexamp

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it, trying it now.

From the FAQ:

How do I move the app window?
The app can be moved once you choose something to play. While playing, simply click and drag in the top half of the album art/visualizer.

What?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you find you’re running into dead ends with the official app on the LGs, there’s also XPLAY which is unofficial and has better compatibility (I’m gonna guess it uses a different rendering engine). I get 4K x265 direct streaming which I can’t do on native app, Xbox, etc it costs $10 to unlock after the trial but it might be worth it. Also doesn’t glitch on files with 2 reference frames which a bunch of remuxes have. It’s on the store on the tv.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PosteriorChain posted:

That looks like a pretty anemic server, CPU-wise at least, unless you're not doing much transcoding (particularly of HD content.) Beyond that, I'm seconding using remote access. In particular I use...

teagone posted:

If you want an easy remote desktop solution, I suggest Chrome Remote Desktop; it makes accessing and setting up a remote PC really simple. I use it to manage my brother's and a friend's Plex server remotely.

...which works fantastically, and now has a direct Web interface rather than having to install an applet. Note that at least when I originally started my PMS a year or two ago, Win10 was a little wonky in that when it was completely headless the mouse pointer would be invisible remotely. I solved that by plugging in a USB mouse, and I do have a keyboard & monitor connected as well now as it's also a secondary gaming desktop, but beyond that most of the time that PC functions as a headless PMS that I administer remotely via CRD.

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is pretty typical, though; in the US at least our typical TV broadcasts have about 8 minutes of ads plus 22 minutes of content per 30-minute show.

Blue On Blue posted:

Pretty much anything's gonna be better than the hacked ATV, but at a certain point the TV's built-in app will become unsupported. A Roku or Chromecast will be a better long-term solution, and a cheap one at that.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

odiv posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it, trying it now.

From the FAQ:

How do I move the app window?
The app can be moved once you choose something to play. While playing, simply click and drag in the top half of the album art/visualizer.

What?

Yeah, it's weird. You start in a search/discovery screen, and the window can't be dragged until you're in the now playing screen, since there's no titlebar or anything. Though this also means if you have something playing and hit the queue button you can't click any of the tracks in the upper half of the window, and you'll have to scroll the list to select them.

Kinda janky, but not too bad for a v1 release I suppose.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Atomizer posted:

This is pretty typical, though; in the US at least our typical TV broadcasts have about 8 minutes of ads plus 22 minutes of content per 30-minute show.

Yeah wasn’t saying it’s not standard. 22 mins is always my go to too, but I’ve seen sitcom episodes run in at 18 minutes (first run, not syndication). Late Night is surprisingly bad too, I timed 13 minutes between segments bar a 40 second thing in the middle on one episode of Colbert earlier in the year. Was ridiculous.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

They just released PlexAmp. It's a music player for Plex. This is great for me because I mainly use Plex these days for my music collection. Saves me leaving a tab open just to play my tunes.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

Pretty much anything's gonna be better than the hacked ATV, but at a certain point the TV's built-in app will become unsupported. A Roku or Chromecast will be a better long-term solution, and a cheap one at that.

Yeah, but then how do I convince my wife I need a new bigger TV???

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah wasn’t saying it’s not standard. 22 mins is always my go to too, but I’ve seen sitcom episodes run in at 18 minutes (first run, not syndication). Late Night is surprisingly bad too, I timed 13 minutes between segments bar a 40 second thing in the middle on one episode of Colbert earlier in the year. Was ridiculous.

I'm thinking that series intended for syndication (e.g. the aforementioned sitcoms) generally adhere to the "de facto" standard (not sure if it's a custom or more formal than that) so they can plug in episodes anywhere, but other programs can have more leeway in their advertisement schedule. Talk shows can probably do whatever they want (depending on what they're comfortable taking in from advertisers!) like having an ad-free live episode, etc., since for the most part those episodes are single-run, and [local] news might even show more ads because those are cash cows.

Wiggly posted:

Lol, Touché, my Goone Sire!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to reformat my Plex server over the holidays. I am currently using PlexPy for monitoring but is Tautulli any better?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If you really want a kb/mouse, for it, these things work fine and don't take up much room, you're not gonna be using it much. Then just plug the comp into the back of a random tv somewhere. Bugger switching all that stuff in and out.

Sometimes you do need a kb/mouse/screen, just to work out what the hell it's doing and why it's not booting up after a mysterious crash, (answer: it's always windows update) but very rarely. VNC is your friend!

My poor gaming pc has, over time, gone from having all it's usb ports full, with ten thousand things plugged into it, to just having power, ethernet and a tiny bluetooth thing. Weirds me out every time I mess with it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wiggly posted:

It's simple, don't get married and have all that sweet disposable cash to yourself

You're a goon it shouldn't be THAT hard to get divorced

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Housh posted:

I want to reformat my Plex server over the holidays. I am currently using PlexPy for monitoring but is Tautulli any better?

I didn’t know about Tautulli before your post, but it looks a lot like PlexPy. Is it a fork, or a straight up rip? It doesn’t mention being a fork of it on the site, but the interface similarities are uncanny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bobfather posted:

I didn’t know about Tautulli before your post, but it looks a lot like PlexPy. Is it a fork, or a straight up rip? It doesn’t mention being a fork of it on the site, but the interface similarities are uncanny.

It's developed by the same dude (SwiftPanda/JonnyWong), so it's a re-brand/update. I recall that the dev mentioned he had to change the name of the app a little while ago. I'm guessing due to copyrights maybe? [edit] Yeah, found the subreddit thread where he was looking for new name ideas due to Plex being a trademark: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/5zl1b4/plexpy_is_dead_rip/

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

teagone posted:

It's developed by the same dude (SwiftPanda/JonnyWong), so it's a re-brand/update. I recall that the dev mentioned he had to change the name of the app a little while ago. I'm guessing due to copyrights maybe?

Makes total sense. I wonder if one can upgrade from PlexPy to Tortellini without losing previous data.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bobfather posted:

Makes total sense. I wonder if one can upgrade from PlexPy to Tortellini without losing previous data.

He mentions installing the beta could gently caress up your databases in the Tuatulli thread in the Plex subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/7kmhl3/its_finally_here_tautulli_v2_beta_formerly_plexpy/

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That’s great. I’m guessing it’s less of a pain to install than PlexPy. That’s one of the reasons I’ve been putting off reformatting.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

bobfather posted:

I upgraded my PlexPy install that I'm running on a raspebrry pi a couple days ago to tortellini and it was pretty much painless. Plus having a android app makes it easier to see who is watching what when I'm not in front of a computer.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

bobfather posted:

I have PlexPy in a Docker, changed over to new Docker and no issues with the database, everything was retained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What docker container were/are you using?
Edit: I'm guessing you're running this one now? I'm using the LSIO Plexpy container already so I'll give this one a shot later. https://hub.docker.com/r/shiggins8/tautulli/

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 21, 2017