Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
How about a line of inserters that carry the items down to where you need them? (Surely you don't *need* to run at 60 fps, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

but they'd still intersperse with items that were doing nothing but taking up space.

what I'm imagining is a dock (like a train station) that has a cart/chest on wheels. the docking station "mines" energy when connected to power and inserts that energy into the cart. or charges it like a battery, whatever. loaders fill up the cart like they would a chest. when the cart is full, it leaves the dock and heads to the next dock, where inserters can unload it. when empty, it zooms back along the track. they'd have to be short, or the cart would run out of energy. seems like it would be doable. almost makes me want to learn lua

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

let us put chests on belts

you can wire belts into the circuit network for stop/start can't you?

you'd just need a way of reading the contents of a chest on the move

maybe little "gates" that scan the contents of anything passing through

Please, just let us put chests in artillery installations to launch stuff across the map :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

crabrock posted:

but they'd still intersperse with items that were doing nothing but taking up space.

what I'm imagining is a dock (like a train station) that has a cart/chest on wheels. the docking station "mines" energy when connected to power and inserts that energy into the cart. or charges it like a battery, whatever. loaders fill up the cart like they would a chest. when the cart is full, it leaves the dock and heads to the next dock, where inserters can unload it. when empty, it zooms back along the track. they'd have to be short, or the cart would run out of energy. seems like it would be doable. almost makes me want to learn lua
It's easier than ever to circuits up clean belts.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nalesh posted:

Please, just let us put chests in artillery installations to launch stuff across the map :v:

in multiplayer this would be amazing

chuck a box full of stuff into the Kinetic Delivery Installation and send it to your partner

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crabrock posted:

You can put a circuit network on a belt to start and stop the flow of materials now. Design a circuit that only lets as many objects onto the belt that you need.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have just now built my first (not sandbox or testing) train system. Finally having a proper go at playing this game instead of just modding it.

Edit: still on peaceful though because I want to build not defend and repair.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

crabrock posted:

is there any mod that's like a tiny version of a train? sometimes i want to move a product across my factory, kinda like a belt, but i don't like all the extras that sit on all that space. i want something that'll ferry it along a path, drop it off, and then go back to pick it up, but can be built in the tiny confines of my spaghetti factory. like a little mine cart or something.

Put a car on a belt.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

crabrock posted:

is there any mod that's like a tiny version of a train? sometimes i want to move a product across my factory, kinda like a belt, but i don't like all the extras that sit on all that space. i want something that'll ferry it along a path, drop it off, and then go back to pick it up, but can be built in the tiny confines of my spaghetti factory. like a little mine cart or something.

There's AAI Haulers which you could program to carry stuff from one point to another while following a path. I don't think it's been updated to .16 though.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

uPen posted:

Put a car on a belt.

this actually works and you should do it and let us know what happens

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is the train code modular enough that it could be modded to have 1x1 track tiles and 1x1 engine and cargo wagons?

Because if thats all it takes an HO scale railroad is doable. Ideally it would just pull power from the electric grid rather than needing to be fed fuel, also like a model railroad.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Jagged Jim posted:

There's AAI Haulers which you could program to carry stuff from one point to another while following a path. I don't think it's been updated to .16 though.

i installed it and made an elaborate automaded system but the pathfinding AI was terrible. haulers would turn in circles, make huge u turns for no reason, and sometimes do nothing for 30 seconds even though they were given orders. i finally uninstalled it. he uses biter AI, so it's weird, and he should probably code in his own.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Heads up, 16.7 removed the "3 tanks" in tanker cars, now it's just one big tank. Probably how everyone was using it anyway, but if you were carting around 3 different fluids in one tanker wagon, well you've got some thinking to do now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

Is the train code modular enough that it could be modded to have 1x1 track tiles and 1x1 engine and cargo wagons?

Because if thats all it takes an HO scale railroad is doable. Ideally it would just pull power from the electric grid rather than needing to be fed fuel, also like a model railroad.

Similar to this, I've spent a reasonable amount of time thinking about how neat it would be to have roads and trucks. They would work just like trains, but be smaller and not have multiple cars. Just because it would be cool to have paved roads (reskinned tracks) and trucks driving stuff around inside the factory.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I find the absence of gameplay that involves actually defending in any kind of meaningful way to be an odd thing.

Like, I get that Factorio is about making a factory and the resources. The hostile alien planet thing really doesn't seem to come together as well as the rest of the game

For comparison you can take a look at They are Billions, which has a very simplistic econ / building game but manages to present a more interesting scenario with a building / enemy wave / expansion cycle that is pretty cool

Bob's aliens and weapons really don't do much on this front either. I really hope at some point down the road either there's a factorio rev that takes a look at combat / defenses / aliens / progression or a mod comes along that fleshes out that aspect of gameplay.

My take is that an actual challenge and ticking clock to deal with would be cool, the way Biters and aliens are implemented now really doesn't seem to lead to very fun gameplay.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Mess with the expansion settings so the groups will travel further in larger or smaller numbers. Change the min max wait time to what you want the timer at.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I won't be happy with biters until there's some gameplay mechanic where I can domesticate them, leave them out to pasture until they grow into behemoths, and then feed them into a chemical plant for solid fuel.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I find the absence of gameplay that involves actually defending in any kind of meaningful way to be an odd thing.

Like, I get that Factorio is about making a factory and the resources. The hostile alien planet thing really doesn't seem to come together as well as the rest of the game

For comparison you can take a look at They are Billions, which has a very simplistic econ / building game but manages to present a more interesting scenario with a building / enemy wave / expansion cycle that is pretty cool

Bob's aliens and weapons really don't do much on this front either. I really hope at some point down the road either there's a factorio rev that takes a look at combat / defenses / aliens / progression or a mod comes along that fleshes out that aspect of gameplay.

My take is that an actual challenge and ticking clock to deal with would be cool, the way Biters and aliens are implemented now really doesn't seem to lead to very fun gameplay.

All of that is true. Maybe give this mod a try? https://mods.factorio.com/mods/robby891/SurvivalMode

There are a couple other scenario type mods that give you more of a reason to interact with biters or make the biters interact more with you.

necrotic posted:

Mess with the expansion settings so the groups will travel further in larger or smaller numbers. Change the min max wait time to what you want the timer at.

Messing with the expansion frequency and other settings might help too.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Death world preset is a good place to start.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922541062235021680/67DDF80668BDA6A63F3E4F1B13E455138FE1E68F/

I've got two furnaces near the end of a line. The downstream one (directly to the right of the character) has no problem putting it's plates onto the red belt but the upstream one (left in the screenshot) can only put down one plate every few seconds and is backed way up. What's going on here? This is completely vanilla on the latest 0.16 release.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Chicken posted:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922541062235021680/67DDF80668BDA6A63F3E4F1B13E455138FE1E68F/

I've got two furnaces near the end of a line. The downstream one (directly to the right of the character) has no problem putting it's plates onto the red belt but the upstream one (left in the screenshot) can only put down one plate every few seconds and is backed way up. What's going on here? This is completely vanilla on the latest 0.16 release.

Do the plates on the belt back up from time to time? The arms need to wait for a gap before they can place any output down and go grab more.

It looks (from the uneven spacing of the plates) that the left side of the downwards belt sometimes backs up. And with the feeder belt full there would be no space for the factories/furnaces towards the end to place anything until that cleared up.

Edit: I've also noticed from time to time that items waiting for a space on a belt can sometimes wedge themselves in as well, causing a momentary backup of everything behind them as the belt sorts itself out. Either way it sounds like the belt you are trying to place things on doesn't have enough throughput to handle everything. Make more space or speed things up further down the line.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 22, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You cannot do compression with just inserters, the last few will back up like that. You need to use two belts and merge with a splitter.

edit: misread/viewed. There are definitely some odd things with belts in 0.16 with the rewrite.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah I'm not really worried about having everything run at optimal efficiency in this case. I'm just trying out 0.16 and getting used to cliffs. I guess if the cost of having a billion belts running with no fps drop is a few weird situations in edge cases then I'm ok with that.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Chicken posted:

Yeah I'm not really worried about having everything run at optimal efficiency in this case. I'm just trying out 0.16 and getting used to cliffs. I guess if the cost of having a billion belts running with no fps drop is a few weird situations in edge cases then I'm ok with that.

An easy fix for that furnace-belt arrangement is just to use a splitter, to put half of the belt products on to the other side of the belt.

With your design, you can fit a splitter right after an output-inserter next to the furnance. One half of the splitter is the continuation of your belt, and the other half feeds into the other side.

It's difficult to describe in writing... I hope that makes sense.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is my prefered furnace layout for 0.15. Double belts for both input and output, and plenty of room for beacons. And you can use the same design for stone/steel furnaces with a coal belt along the outside, or just braid the coal and ore on the input belts. (Or use GotLag's electric stone/steel furnaces)

I haven't tried it with 0.16, do you still need the underground belts to avoid inserter congestion?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Collateral Damage posted:

I haven't tried it with 0.16, do you still need the underground belts to avoid inserter congestion?

No, .16 removes that trick and makes you combine belts with a splitter to compress them

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Undergrounds do not work for compression anymore, and side loading is currently broken (maybe won't fix? I think they are looking at it). Currently you have to use splitters for compression in 0.16.

Forums topic on side loading: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54627

And for underground behavior: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54600

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ah. Well assuming it's not a bug, you could cut the bottom half of the output belt after each splitter and it would work just as well as long as you only need one belt's worth of output.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

No, .16 removes that trick and makes you combine belts with a splitter to compress them

Wait. What? Splitters compress now? How?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LLSix posted:

The new belt optimizations now track clumps of objects moving, it wound up breaking a lot of other things like side loading. But now the goal is to fix those things. The expected behavior is that if two lanes that add up to one full lane enter a splitter the spitter now combines the choppy clumps into one continuous clump.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LLSix posted:

The same way they did before. If you combine two half density belts you get a full density belt.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

The same way they did before. If you combine two half density belts you get a full density belt.

This, its not new behavior and splitters have always worked for this. Kovarex has even said he intended splitters to be the only way to compress a belt, which is why they didn't do anything about the (un)broken underground behavior. Apparently he wasn't aware of a lot of side loading techniques, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Honestly, if there are performance gains to be had, eliminating some of the old quirks is fine by me, as long as it's still possible to do compression with things like splitters.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yup. The belt optimizations are good overall. The underground behavior was always strange and I'm kind of glad they fixed it as a bug. Side loading should definitely work, though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The balancing act of getting a compressed belt vs just a merely ok one with gaps is an okay challange, but the realities of it is a real pain if you want FULL COMPRESSION FOR THE WHOLE SUPPLY CHAIN AT ALL TIMES is far too fiddly for me to spend the effort on.

The real problem is that in the first red/green early game part you can either get 2 compressed belts (for a fleeting moment before the ore starts thinning out) or get 4 mostly full belts. This loss of compression compounds out to the forges, then to the actual making of things. It requires too many resources from early in the chain to be built in excess.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Yeah, all breaking all the good ways of compressing a belt does is lower the effective throughput of each belt tier. You're much better off with 2 mostly full belts than 1 full belt from combining belts with a splitter.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

necrotic posted:

Yup. The belt optimizations are good overall. The underground behavior was always strange and I'm kind of glad they fixed it as a bug. Side loading should definitely work, though.

I'm not sure whether sideloading should work, but the present sideloading behaviour is inconsistent, and exposes some of the details of how belts are implemented.

LLSix posted:

Yeah, all breaking all the good ways of compressing a belt does is lower the effective throughput of each belt tier. You're much better off with 2 mostly full belts than 1 full belt from combining belts with a splitter.

This is entirely a function of how long you expect the belt to be and how much you value space.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'd prefer it if sideloading stuck around simply because i don't know how else to split half a belt off from the rest other than via sideloading into an underground belt

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd prefer it if sideloading stuck around simply because i don't know how else to split half a belt off from the rest other than via sideloading into an underground belt

That still works. The issues come when trying to sideload onto a belt that already has items or when trying to sideload from a belt that's loaded on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
For me this change may not be game breaking but heart breaking. It completely makes the game not fun for me, which saddens me a lot.