Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Peewi posted:

It's a little frustrating to be one item slot away from 335 power and not get anything for that slot in your powerful gear engrams.

And since that slot is cape, I wouldn't be able to farm exotics for it either.

At least masterworks seem a little more frequent now that I'm 334 so that's another thing to shoot for when you're near/at power cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Welcome to the 3 weeks of my life leading up to CoO.

And the next three years of your life too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Orv posted:

And the next three years of your life too.
Eh the fatigue is starting to hit and my interest in picking up AssCreed Origins grows stronger.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope next year get us a destiny killer. The Division was almost there, Wildlands was a contender. I am too old to go back to Warframe.

I am going to avoid games with loot boxes and all that poo poo. Is going to be hard, maybe I will go back to indie games.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As if indie games wouldn't put loot boxes into their games if they could

Orv
May 4, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Eh the fatigue is starting to hit and my interest in picking up AssCreed Origins grows stronger.

Have you only been playing Destiny since you picked it up?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tei posted:

I hope next year get us a destiny killer. The Division was almost there, Wildlands was a contender. I am too old to go back to Warframe.

I am going to avoid games with loot boxes and all that poo poo. Is going to be hard, maybe I will go back to indie games.

The only Destiny killer is Destiny.

Blizzard is making an unannounced FPS with vehicles according to their jobs listings page and it very likely isn't going to be OW2 since vehicles clash with the concept of individual character roles and designs. Who knows if it's going to be their answer to Destiny/The Division/Anthem? It's a genre with so much potential yet seems bizarrely unfulfilled. Destiny came out in 2014 yet has very few copycats.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Blizzard is making an unannounced FPS with vehicles according to their jobs listings page and it very likely isn't going to be OW2 since vehicles clash with the concept of individual character roles and designs. Who knows if it's going to be their answer to Destiny/The Division/Anthem? It's a genre with so much potential yet seems bizarrely unfulfilled. Destiny came out in 2014 yet has very few copycats.

It came out in 2014 but was only really widely hailed as "good" more recently, and then the immense turmoil and the intensity of peoples passion/hatred for D2 probably scares off some of the less adventurous studios who might be capable. Plus people just aren't making MMOs anymore, or the big studios that might already have. It's pretty much the same Korean CryEngine MMO reskinned with a couple new ideas every couple of years and then a bunch of Western PvP MMOs that have been in development forever and a handful of hilariously obvious scams.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 21, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's difficult to copycat games like Destiny due to the scale of investment needed. Compare how many AAA MMORPGs are released now compared to the aftermath of WoW, let alone ones that create an original IP. Most of them were flops and cost a fortune, so now publishers are wary of that level of investment.

It's also a struggle because FPS + MMO do not mix well. Destiny resorts to P2P hosting, massively narrowing player counts in anything but hub areas because it's takes far more resources to provide a reasonable FPS experience than an RPG one, which makes it a more daunting prospect.

If it hasn't been heard about in advance, I'd be surprised to be blindsided by a Destiny killer game from a smaller studio. It's just so much easier to release a constrained multiplayer game with RPG elements. Look how popular PUBG is and imagine how much cheaper that was to create than Destiny.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
They already have the framework for a great FPS built in Overwatch. If they use the same engine all they need to do is tailor the RPG elements around that.

I really hope they aren't working on a competitor to PUBG. That genre does absolutely nothing for me. I convince myself each time that a great Battle Royale game will grab me, and then after a handful of games I just give up because it's not fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nickhimself posted:

They already have the framework for a great FPS built in Overwatch.

Ehhhhh.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of grenades can i just mention how frustrating it is that sticky grenades in this game do approximately a farts worth of damage in pvp

i get that it's probably meant to balance out the fact that they'll home in on a target from a mile away to actually stick to them, but you're already sacrificing stuff like a big aoe or the multiple explosions of a pulse grenade, it's very frustrating that the grenade type that's supposed to be specialized for doing a lot of damage to a single target does about as much as a single handcannon shot

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

nickhimself posted:

They already have the framework for a great FPS built in Overwatch.

What is great about OW is the positioning and use of skills. Is more a skill based action-RPG than a shooter. If you pay attention, characters like soldier or DVa shooting are really simple. In the case of DVa it can't be more simple: infinite ammo, don't need to reload, no ADS. Soldier not being able to ADS is kind of weird, it feels like a character than in a different game would ADS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of grenades can i just mention how frustrating it is that sticky grenades in this game do approximately a farts worth of damage in pvp

i get that it's probably meant to balance out the fact that they'll home in on a target from a mile away to actually stick to them, but you're already sacrificing stuff like a big aoe or the multiple explosions of a pulse grenade, it's very frustrating that the grenade type that's supposed to be specialized for doing a lot of damage to a single target does about as much as a single handcannon shot

They used to be a guaranteed one shot, and like most returning things in Destiny 2 they way overshot the balance on them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually come to think of it the fact that only a sparse few grenade types are legitimately capable of killing a target in pvp from full health bugs me a bunch too but i guess that's kind of a counterstrike thing

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Tei posted:

What is great about OW is the positioning and use of skills. Is more a skill based action-RPG than a shooter. If you pay attention, characters like soldier or DVa shooting are really simple. In the case of DVa it can't be more simple: infinite ammo, don't need to reload, no ADS. Soldier not being able to ADS is kind of weird, it feels like a character than in a different game would ADS.

That's fine. The whole feel of the first person shooter experience in the game is very solid. You can always tailor things like ADS and whatnot. But the feel of the game is spot on. They have pretty much every type of shooting you'd want from a game. They can put it all into the guns instead of the characters, make a really detailed and beautiful world, then let us run around and pick the things we enjoy over those we do not.

For everything I've thought about Overwatch, "lovely" has been exactly zero of those thoughts. I'd love for Soldier to have ADS. I'd love for more than one character to really grab me. There are a list of improvements, sure. But the game feels extremely professionally put together to me and that's a big deal. Some AAA titles cost 60 bucks and look / feel like an indie devs first game demo in college.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

comparing overwatch and destiny seems very apples and oranges regardless of the fact that "they're both fpses".

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've picked at the destiny 2 thread every time I've had a couple of minutes standing around in line or whatever, and after over 400 pages of discussion of the game, I have one takeaway

norns is hands down the worst poster here

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

comparing overwatch and destiny seems very apples and oranges regardless of the fact that "they're both fpses".

it's for using overwatch as an example of how easy it would be for blizzard to make a destiny-like game. not to compare the two directly as they are, as if they are the same thing

Orv
May 4, 2011

nickhimself posted:

it's for using overwatch as an example of how easy it would be for blizzard to make a destiny-like game. not to compare the two directly as they are, as if they are the same thing

Anywhere from 75 to 95% of the reason I'm still playing Destiny 2 at this point is how good the shooting feels to just do, Overwatch on the other hand has some of the worst shooting feel ever. I can't see it holding up in a non quick match format.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've picked at the destiny 2 thread every time I've had a couple of minutes standing around in line or whatever, and after over 400 pages of discussion of the game, I have one takeaway

well clearly i need to post more

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

My historic championship reign has ended?

:sadwave:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The prospect of a Destiny killer is ... unclear. Looking back, many companies tried and failed to make a action-RPG with shooting mechanics before.

Notable titles:

Firefall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tQUEeuu21c

Global Agenda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyQCQGnPqN4

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

*curses under breath*

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

firefall was a complete company destroying disaster entirely independently of the development of the actual game

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Orv posted:

Anywhere from 75 to 95% of the reason I'm still playing Destiny 2 at this point is how good the shooting feels to just do, Overwatch on the other hand has some of the worst shooting feel ever. I can't see it holding up in a non quick match format.

I totally agree about how good shooting feels in Destiny. I 100% disagree with your assessment of Overwatch, but that really doesn't matter since we're not the same person who needs to enjoy the same things. Though while I think shooting feels good in Overwatch, something about the game didn't really get me interested in enough to keep playing. I jump in from time to time to play a game or two with my wife, but after I hit a new level or get a couple rounds in I feel like I've played enough for the week or month. I think OW is one of the first games I really really want to love, but can't.

Tei posted:

The prospect of a Destiny killer is ... unclear. Looking back, many companies tried and failed to make a action-RPG with shooting mechanics before.

Notable titles:

Global Agenda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyQCQGnPqN4

Didn't this come out around the same time as something else that completely blew up and basically buried this game?

edit: CoD MW2 came out in Nov 2009

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 21, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Playing both over watch and destiny 2, I keep thinking about this rpg lite co op gameplay but with Overwatch aesthetics, color, and pixarish...joy?, and then I try to imagine what exactly about project titan did they not think was fun?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

If you want to swap it around I highly recommend Vigilance Wing, basically a kinetic version of Darkest Before.

I just got this last night and played some crucibles. Holy poo poo this was a beast in the match. Got a 15 kill streak with it in the first game.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I remember when CoDBlops3 was supposed to be a Destiny Killer. Then that season at Acitivision ended, and Infinite Warfare was the new killer. Then that didn’t happen.. ME: Andromeda, too.

If a game wants to kill Destiny, they should spend exactly 0 time saying those words, it’s like a curse.

E: “jobs at blizzard for mmo with vehicles”
:thunk:

I can’t imagine what that’s for.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 21, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress you too

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am wide open and ready to be mocked for this but frankly Destiny still strikes me as a Borderlands impersonator, so a Destiny killer could just be an actual good new Borderlands game imo

God I wish we could get a new, good Borderlands :(

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Waffle House posted:

I remember when CoDBlops3 was supposed to be a Destiny Killer. Then that season at Acitivision ended, and Infinite Warfare was the new killer. Then that didn’t happen.. ME: Andromeda, too.

If a game wants to kill Destiny, they should spend exactly 0 time saying those words, it’s like a curse.

Destiny needs some competition, that would be good for the game. So Bungie up their game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manky posted:

I am wide open and ready to be mocked for this but frankly Destiny still strikes me as a Borderlands impersonator, so a Destiny killer could just be an actual good new Borderlands game imo

God I wish we could get a new, good Borderlands :(

The problem with this is that there hasn't been a good one before.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know, destiny's great and all, but what it really could use is enemies taking about 130x more damage to kill and more jokes about memes

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Tei posted:

Destiny needs some competition, that would be good for the game. So Bungie up their game.

The Bungie is in a unique community/IP position to set new bold standards with so many eyes on them; currently these eyeholes are open and complaining instead of wowing, though this is human stupidity inaction.

Feeling comfortable is not a good plan, especially in this day where every angry person on the internet has minimum 10 sock puppet accounts by which to elaborately bitch through. If things feel sincerely like they’ve plateaud, and the current walls have all been climbed, it is time to find a bigger mountain to top.

Shaxx, so wise, would just shake his head and say something about steel always needing sharpening.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tei posted:

[trying hard to hold back laughter] What about *snrk* anthem?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Control Volume posted:

That game is going to have loot boxes on the character creation screen

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

For all the salt, I only hold a handfull of studios in any kind of esteem, and they are:

- Kojima
- Naughty Dog
- Insomniac
- Blizzard
- Bungie
- iD

I’m sure I can think of more, but these historically are the folks that I have memories of shipping polished products.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

It's gonna be so fuckin' go- nrrrrkzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

swap out naughty dog for arkane and i don't know who insomniac are but that's pretty close to my hot list of game studios

• Locked thread