Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pentaghastly posted:

A whole lot of shift swapping later, I finally have this weekend off to go see my family. The girl going out of her way to cover for me is going to have a fat sephora gift card waiting for her. Maybe I was just emotional from thinking I wouldn't get to be with my family, but I almost burst into tears when she told me she could help me out after no one else could.

:glomp:

That's awesome and she is definitely worthy of accolades

also gently caress retail, I was in a B&N Starbucks this morning and there were like 11 people in line and one very beleaguered woman working there by herself. The register and the drinks. Both. At the same time. I was in line for 13 minutes. I have the Kindle app on my phone for this exact reason so I was fine with passing the time re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but other people in line were decidedly unhappy about it, like it's the fault of the one person who showed up for work rather than whoever did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

:glomp:

That's awesome and she is definitely worthy of accolades

also gently caress retail, I was in a B&N Starbucks this morning and there were like 11 people in line and one very beleaguered woman working there by herself. The register and the drinks. Both. At the same time. I was in line for 13 minutes. I have the Kindle app on my phone for this exact reason so I was fine with passing the time re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but other people in line were decidedly unhappy about it, like it's the fault of the one person who showed up for work rather than whoever did not.

Licensed starbucks are hell. I will never work at one. I cant fault the baristas because they're technically employees of whatever store has the kiosk but the quality of beverages goes down when you only have one person manning the whole station. Theres one girl at the Tarbucks though who is so sweet and when I stop by on my Target excursions she loads me the gently caress up with caramel drizzle diabetes on my iced macchiato. She should work at the corporate location with me instead. I dont know how much they get paid at their respective stores but imo it aint worth dealing with Target shoppers all by yourself. That only get frapps. And you have one blender. gently caress no.

Liscensed stores also dont get free drinks and food on their shifts and they dont even get coffee/tea markouts. Like maybe I don't get paid as much as I want, but I havent had to buy coffee beans from the store since I started working there and thats like, what, $7 a week I dont have to spend? Too bad rent cant be paid with coffee

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Last I visited one, targetbucks baristas also can't accept tips? Or maybe just the one by my parents house

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

CaptainJuan posted:

Last I visited one, targetbucks baristas also can't accept tips? Or maybe just the one by my parents house

Yeah, no tips either.

Edit: tips arent a lot, but its an extra $30 or so dollars per week you wouldnt normally have and that'll cover gas at least. A whole lot of dollar bills though. I went three weeks without collecting mine and it was a two inch stack of dolla dolla bills

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 22, 2017

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
In the last week, one employee was fired for selling gift cards to a customer with credit cards, one went on vacation, and the other got arrested (nothing store related) and we haven't heard from him. So, it's now 4 employees running a retail store, on the run up to Christmas.

And I just shoulder checked a shelf so hard on accident I skinned it.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Anora posted:

In the last week, one employee was fired for selling gift cards to a customer with credit cards

What does this mean exactly

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Daniel Bryan posted:

A lot of stores require debit or cash for gift card sales since you could conceivably steal credit card, buy $500 store GC, card owner and bank issue charge back. This leaves the store screwed for the $500 when the person who bought the GC got away with $500 worth of grocery money or whatever.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Alternately, they buy the giftcard with a stolen CC and the giftcard gets sold to whatever site will take it. We got popped with that for $300.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't having a chip reader excuse the retailer from liability if a card gets used fraudulently

Do stores still not have chip readers

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Either way I’m a little happy my store doesn’t care about how a gift card is paid for.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Daniel Bryan posted:

EpicBirdEnthusiast posted:

A lot of stores require debit or cash for gift card sales since you could conceivably steal credit card, buy $500 store GC, card owner and bank issue charge back. This leaves the store screwed for the $500 when the person who bought the GC got away with $500 worth of grocery money or whatever.

This, but for a lot more then $500

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

Doesn't having a chip reader excuse the retailer from liability if a card gets used fraudulently

Half the time they're broken as hell.

Also it's 4 days to Christmas and our store has no Christmas music! It's weird.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be short at least two staff members, including my boss who decided overnight that he was going to take the week off. Meanwhile, my mom's second husband is dying of kidney failure and she's having a fuckin' meltdown. I got strep throat from spending the last couple evenings at the hospital right before our busiest week of the year. I can't talk and breathing is a challenge. Two of my other coworkers are largely useless, and the one I can count on to actually be helpful is only scheduled for one shift. I'm the only person who has a key to open the store other than the evening guy who closes. I can't call in, and I can't leave the store early because nobody else will be there.

I have entered Hell and It's still better than being inundated with Christmas Carols for a 12 hour stretch. :shepicide:

I swear to god I am going to take a couple weeks off in January. Just let me not murder anyone till then.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 22, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MC Hawking posted:

I'm going to be short at least two staff members, including my boss who decided overnight that he was going to take the week off. Meanwhile, my mom's second husband is dying of kidney failure and she's having a fuckin' meltdown. I got strep throat from spending the last couple evenings at the hospital right before our busiest week of the year. I can't talk and breathing is a challenge. Two of my other coworkers are largely useless, and the one I can count on to actually be helpful is only scheduled for one shift. I'm the only person who has a key to open the store other than the evening guy who closes. I can't call in, and I can't leave the store early because nobody else will be there.

I have entered Hell and It's still better than being inundated with Christmas Carols for a 12 hour stretch. :shepicide:

I swear to god I am going to take a couple weeks off in January. Just let me not murder anyone till then.

Strep loving throat? I would quit without notice.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
To be fair after opening this morning and a bit of coordinating about this upcoming week my boss handed me a bottle of brandy for hot toddies and sent me home to rest. That doesn't really make this poo poo exactly worth while but I'm not gonna toss 5 years if employment down the drain in a temper tantrum of being sick.

Yes I know this is unhealthy, don't remind me. I don't get sick much and when I do it's almost always strep throat. So this isn't my first rodeo, its just the timing of this bout is particularly bad. Combined with all this otherwise individually manageable stuff, I'm definitely feeling like curling up in a ball and not coming out of my house for the next week.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 22, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

gently caress Wham.

I'd rather gently caress them than the Christmas Shoes guy.

e - what up strep bro? I haven't had it for a few years, but that's the only thing I've had multiple times. I don;t count a basic sore throat or cold as sick really, just annoying.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 22, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Don't be loving around with strep throat, strains of that little bugger make the toxin that causes scarlet fever

[ask] me about being 8 years old and hallucinating the entire world coming apart in massive blocks revealing fast moving water and inky blackness behind them because i had a massively high fever and flushed the toilet

[ask] my mom about finding her son crying on the bathroom floor frantically apologizing for making the walls come apart because of this

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shugojin posted:

Don't be loving around with strep throat, strains of that little bugger make the toxin that causes scarlet fever

[ask] me about being 8 years old and hallucinating the entire world coming apart in massive blocks revealing fast moving water and inky blackness behind them because i had a massively high fever and flushed the toilet

[ask] my mom about finding her son crying on the bathroom floor frantically apologizing for making the walls come apart because of this

Consider yourself asked. On both counts.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Did this traumatic event cause you to buy a Sprung avatar Shugojin?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EugeneJ posted:

USA is Chip and Signature, not Chip and Pin, and no one ever checks the signature. Yes, really. Yes, we know. It prevents skimming at least.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

Currently not hallucinating. This one isn't as bad as the time I got strep and developed 3 canker sores at the same time then had to work 4th of July. Now that was miserable.

Edit: I may re-evaluate my opinion of miserable here in about 12 hours when I get out of todays shift.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Did this traumatic event cause you to buy a Sprung avatar Shugojin?

No that was just bad taste

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Shugojin posted:

What's up "fever so high I hallucinated" buddy? It's not a party until you think that the terminator is repeatedly asking for toppings for his ice cream but the floor is made of bees.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Guess who's closing on Christmas Eve? Dis motherfucker right here.

Can't wait for all our customers to tell me I shouldn't be working.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Guess who's closing on Christmas Eve? Dis motherfucker right here.

Can't wait for all our customers to tell me I shouldn't be working.

"Man, I can't believe they have you guys working on the night of Christmas Eve of all times. Anyway, here's my whole drat cart of groceries like it's any other day of the week."

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

"attention all customers: the store closed fifteen minutes ago. please stop shopping and come to the checkout. please. I want to go home"

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

SpacePig posted:

"Man, I can't believe they have you guys working on the night of Christmas Eve of all times. Anyway, here's my whole drat cart of groceries like it's any other day of the week."

"You guys shouldn't even be working today" *orders 5 hot chocolates in DT and orders pastries at the window, obliterating our window times, doesnt tip*

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shugojin posted:

Oh I don't. It's been a couple years like I said since I had it last. But if I've got an inkling of it coming on, I call off and go to a doctor for sure. I know it's a bad one. Last scare just turned out to be a sore throat, but I don't take the chance.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Pentaghastly posted:

"You guys shouldn't even be working today" *orders 5 hot chocolates in DT and orders pastries at the window, obliterating our window times, doesnt tip*

I feel like it's worse when they do this but the phrasing is "Oh, I'm so sorry you have to work today!" gently caress you Gertie, people like you are the reason I'm hanging out a window freezing my tits off on a holiday.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I feel like it's worse when they do this but the phrasing is "Oh, I'm so sorry you have to work today!" gently caress you Gertie, people like you are the reason I'm hanging out a window freezing my tits off on a holiday.

I just cant believe customers have the gall to complain on holidays. And I dont mean like "oh this was supposed to be iced" whatever, I mean like "I said no foam extra hot no room!!!" Or "this coconut milk cappuccino was supposed to be dry" like...I only sorta kinda wished youd flip your SUV on the way home, but end up livint. now I wish youd just die

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

To be honest I don't think I'd complain about a coffee as long as it wasn't full of grounds

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is a dry coffee.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren posted:

You put in less vermouth

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Only Irish whiskey, no cream.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

a dry cappuccino is just less milk more foam with your espresso. an extra extra dry cappuccino is what an rear end in a top hat orders and watches you steam pitcher after pitcher of coconut milk trying to get impossible foam that deflates while your shots of espresso die. The cup should be so light that you pick it up expecting it to weigh as much as a standard drink and you accidentally throw it across the bar

True evil is ordering a dry cap with heavy cream

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Same but it's fuckers on Christmas Day saying it to you. Way to be part of the problem, rear end in a top hat :thumbsup:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is coffee with coconut milk a thing?

If so, why?!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pentaghastly posted:

Why's that? Cream whips up.

@Zenith - milk & soy or nut allergy. Which would preclude soy and almond milk. Also because coconut tastes good, better than coffee.

e - I'll be working Christmas. But getting sweet sweet triple pay. $42/hour, $337 for one days work, cooking for the poor hundred or so people who're stuck at the hospital on Christmas.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why's that? Cream whips up.

@Zenith - milk & soy or nut allergy. Which would preclude soy and almond milk. Also because coconut tastes good, better than coffee.

e - I'll be working Christmas. But getting sweet sweet triple pay. $42/hour, $337 for one days work, cooking for the poor hundred or so people who're stuck at the hospital on Christmas.

Heavy cream doesn't foam well due to its fat content. If you try to make a dry cappuccino with heavy cream, coconut milk, or almond milk, you are going to end up wasting a ton because none of them hold a good foam. It's just irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

a dry cappuccino is just less milk more foam with your espresso. an extra extra dry cappuccino is what an rear end in a top hat orders and watches you steam pitcher after pitcher of coconut milk trying to get impossible foam that deflates while your shots of espresso die. The cup should be so light that you pick it up expecting it to weigh as much as a standard drink and you accidentally throw it across the bar

There are days I remember being in high school and drinking coffee in Barnes and Noble and trying to act all adult, but hated the taste of coffee and gagged with every sip.

All of that above means about as much to me as advanced calculus. I can't believe some people are that loving picky....but what do I mean, of course they are. I need a double whip no cream extra triple swirl frapp with extra sauce please.