Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yinlock posted:

me replaying ys 7: well im halfway done, better check to see if i missed any ques- wait what do you mean "pc release trailer"

what do you mean "its been out for months"

and that's the story of how I stopped playing ys 7 halfway through to play ys 7 a second time

:same:

I was playing it nonstop on Vita until last week, when I got to the Well of Souls and the grinds for the elixir quest & ultimate weapons looked like too steep and dull a hill for me to climb

now I'm considering rebuying it on Steam because I am a consumer whore

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The grind for ultimate weapons is legit there just for you to level grind without realizing it, only Adol’s is noteworthy because it gives him all three Attack attributes. Chances are that if you make two then you’re just strong enough to beat the game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

The grind for ultimate weapons is legit there just for you to level grind without realizing it, only Adol’s is noteworthy because it gives him all three Attack attributes. Chances are that if you make two then you’re just strong enough to beat the game.

my first play-through I only made Adol's and got through just fine :shrug: making 1 or 2 will get you strong enough easily yeah(though I tend to end up overleveled anyway because I do a ton of loving around)

also man I like Celceta but I really wish it kept 7's style of bosses, I love the weird janky mix between 3D action game and ridiculous bullet hell

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 19, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Man, the further into Tokyo Xanadu I get, the more editing problems with the localization I spot. Like, seriously, I'm not even trying very hard. So far my count is about 13 distinct errors going into early chapter 4, and I'm including all the different ways they chose to localize the "God's App".

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Our long Erebonian nightmare is almost over.

https://twitter.com/nihonurafalcom/status/943347894484197376

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
A few preview screenshots, with some interesting characters, too.

Cyouni posted:

Man, the further into Tokyo Xanadu I get, the more editing problems with the localization I spot. Like, seriously, I'm not even trying very hard. So far my count is about 13 distinct errors going into early chapter 4, and I'm including all the different ways they chose to localize the "God's App".

The after story has some of those everyone-chimes-in scenes where things just don't flow at all. It also seems to be fond of quoting "keywords", and keeping the whole vague "that one time" or "that person" thing even in cases where the specific thing is obvious from context.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

remember what?!?!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

remember what?!?!

this obviously

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Falcom just coming straight out with the Sen 3 ending references in their Sen 4 announcement press release. So watch out for that I guess!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So it was pretty clearly established in Trails 1 and 2 that Estelle is the strongest. But now that I've completed a certain moon door in 3rd I realize that Estelle was at her strongest when she was but a tiny child. God drat she was unstoppable. :3:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Cyouni posted:

My favourite is how they use quotes round random words like "Explanation" and "Question" for no discernable reason. Anyways, it's still far better than Persona 5, that game was borderline incomprehensible at times.

The game is actually turning into one of my favourite games of the year though, I really dig the Action/JRPG combo. I've played things like the Tales games, but their combat always feels very button mashy, and having 3 AI compansions running round everywhere makes the battles feel really chaotic and confused. The combat in this game is much more refined, it feels weighty, and it has a good balance of "Spam attack to kill" and "Dodge, Strike, Dodge" fighting.

If Ys 8 is even better, then I'm really looking forwards to it!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Why, Aksys. How in any way is this a remotely reasonable translation for "Tokisaka-kun".

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Cyouni posted:

Why, Aksys. How in any way is this a remotely reasonable translation for "Tokisaka-kun".

I think that by adding "little" they're trying to express that she's being patronizing, in a sort of teasing way. It's a bit clumsy, something like "Well if it isn't little Tokisaka" would have been better, but I think it gets the point across :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

So it was pretty clearly established in Trails 1 and 2 that Estelle is the strongest. But now that I've completed a certain moon door in 3rd I realize that Estelle was at her strongest when she was but a tiny child. God drat she was unstoppable. :3:

no gloomy faces allowed

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I got to the concert in CS1 on my New Game+ run after beating the Sky FC/SC and legit teared up when the encore song started playing. I love this dumb series so much.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

should've been Hoshi no Arika imho

I have to wonder why it wasn't. It seems like that was what they were originally going for, with Misty singing it on the radio and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
TBH they probably decided not to for narrative reasons; Whereabouts of Light is supposed to be this kind of obscure folk song IIRC so you can just pretend the SC ending song is a real thing. Also I swear had the Silver Will/Hamel leitmotif in there so it hit me harder in the feels.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Also I swear had the Silver Will/Hamel leitmotif in there so it hit me harder in the feels.

It's from Shine of Eidos, Tetracyclic Tower, Ancient Makes, Fate of the Fairies, etc. etc. etc.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I can't wait to get to cold steel.

Also, Third speculation from me: Based on what I know the Oreo can do, This is all one big virtual world or whatever isn't it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Really Pants posted:

should've been Hoshi no Arika imho

I have to wonder why it wasn't. It seems like that was what they were originally going for, with Misty singing it on the radio and all.

Yeah, I totally thought that's where it was going too, since Olivier said it was an old Erebonian folk song.

I was super disappointed and a little mad that it wasn't.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The best news from the falcom shareholder meeting is that after cold steel ends there will be a 2-3 year break until the next kiseki sub series begins. More time for xseed to catch up!!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Maybe we'll get the crossbell arc!

I can dream.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

i've always thought that fixing rean's personal problems will take either years of therapy or a single boss fight with estelle

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't think Estelle knows how to hold back though

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Really Pants posted:

I don't think Estelle knows how to hold back though

that's why she won't show up till the end of CS4.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some big sales on all the Ys and Trails games on Steam right now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
In that case, what would be a decent Y's to start on?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Origin or Oath in Felghana, if you're feeling retro then Ys I&II with all the caveats that come along with playing a game made in the 80s.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BrightWing posted:

In that case, what would be a decent Y's to start on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDasPSBMms

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I am convinced.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ys 1 and 2 has better music but much, much worse gameplay. It does follow up on Ys Origin, technically.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Play The Oath In Felghana

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OLD:

NEW:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terper posted:

OLD:

NEW:

I look forward to finally finding out what the gently caress they were talking about when they were blathering on about "notions."

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
ys VIII: we have better dick jokes now

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

psychoJ posted:

Hey an improvement is an improvement.

Though I kind of want them to keep Archeozoic Big Hole anyway. Because it's hilarious how bad they screwed that one up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

psychoJ posted:

I mean hell, I'M sold.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

psychoJ posted:

Ys VVILLI

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am under the assumption that the Sky series should be played before the Cold Steel series, is that right? I left off on the beginning of the last chapter on Sky FC (Which I hear is still a good half of the game), but all the talk about Cold Steel is making it tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Unlucky7 posted:

I am under the assumption that the Sky series should be played before the Cold Steel series, is that right? I left off on the beginning of the last chapter on Sky FC (Which I hear is still a good half of the game), but all the talk about Cold Steel is making it tempting.

That's less than half, more like a third or so.

Sky all takes place two years before Cold Steel, but you can play Cold Steel first, you'll just miss some references and going backwards will be weird combat wise.

My recommendation is to play Sky first.