Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Computer Serf posted:

btw if you try to transfer it to the actual buttchain, fees will cost $10-20

It's $40+ now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

huge dump today

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

this the crash?

HODL

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lol down 10% in three hours

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

lazorexplosion posted:

lol down 10% in three hours

Someone took a second mortgage to buy the coin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wonder how long until the thread title is accurate again.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Nessus posted:

I wonder how long until the thread title is accurate again.

3 or 4 hours :getin:

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

friend gave me some coin fractions first week of December. initially 'worth' $397. then rose to be 'worth' almost $580. now 'worth' $415

this is the future

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

insulated staircase posted:

friend gave me some coin fractions first week of December. initially 'worth' $397. then rose to be 'worth' almost $580. now 'worth' $415

this is the future

Give me your bitcoins

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
It was a fun ride. Memes were made, butt dollars were traded by drug dealers and perverts. Then the bubble popped with as much grace as a slow, loud fart in a crowded and un-ventilated elevator.

This butt's for you.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

UP UP UP!

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Just checked my Coinbase acct for the first time in a long time.

Apparently they do Bitcoin Cash?

And apparently I got 6 bux in bitcoin cash on Dec 13?

Now worth 10 bux?

Who sent this to me? Why did this happen?

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Bitcoin\ Bitcoin Cash fork. If you bought bitcoin from CB before August of this year, you now have an equivalent amount of bitcoin cash. Enjoy.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Bitcoin forked, so your bitcoin also became bitcoin cash. Also a few other obscure cryptos.

Anyone can fork bitcoin, bch just had substantial backing because they were the people trying to solve the fee and scalability issues. The miners weren't interested in changing anything believe it or not

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
its the gift that keeps on giving (free money)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

:thunk:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

So what you're saying is we're due for a rally!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I have put all my money into bitcoin

Let's roll

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I hate when my store of value loses 25% of it's value in a day! :grumble:

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Tax man cometh!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Tried to use Bitcoin at a bar tonight at a Bitcoin meetup. Here is how it went.

quote:

First off, I hold more Bitcoin than any other coin.

I've been investing in Bitcoin since early this year and went to my first bitcoin meetup in San Francisco tonight. https://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Bitcoin-Social/events/245125000/

The description said, "the only bar in SF that accepts bitcoin at the register!"

I'm thinking, how is this gonna go? Can't go well, right.

I asked the bartender/owner if I can pay with bitcoin and he's like 'yeah, no problem'.

I had ordered two drinks. The bartender hands me an ipad with a bitpay QR code.

I opened up my Coinbase app that I had moved $100 into today specifically for in person payments.

My drinks came out to $15.50 with tip.

The Bitpay app requested 0.0012 BTC (Current price is $16,500). When I put that amount into the Coinbase app it said the USD value was $35. I couldn't figure out why it was $35. So I switched the interface to allow me to just enter a USD amount.

I entered $20, cause I was slightly drunk and said, oh well, I'll pay more. After I hit send I looked at the transaction and it said it was pending for $51. WTF?

I asked the owner/bartender how this was gonna work since it was going to take 2hours plus.

He was like "2 hours? We can't wait that long, I'll just cancel and you can pay by credit card. Also , I don't want you to pay $51 for this".

I told him "You can't cancel, it's bitcoin. No backsies".

He was like "Well, Bitpay says it's canceled now".

And I said "Not sure its gonna come back through via Coinbase. I have no idea how this is gonna go."

The owner was super great and offered to wait or try a whole bunch of things. I said "This was mostly an experiment, take my card. Thanks for doing the bitcoin community solid.".

At the end of the day I have no idea if I got refunded. 2.5 hours later, Coinbase said the transaction went through. Turns out the extra $30 was transaction fees for $20 drinks.

Ok, this is not anything new to anyone here. But it was my first time trying to buy something at a retail store.

The owner was super great. He actually knew a ton about transaction fees, altcoins, bit pay and ease of use for customers. It's not an exaggeration to say he knew more about bitcoin than any other person at the meetup I talked to. (Which is weird, cause he was surprised it was gonna take 2 hours. I thought we all knew that).

He also said I was the only one to try to pay with bitcoin, which I kinda found sad. (ok, maybe everyone already knew better).

I knew it wasn't going to go well, but wanted to try for myself.

So, that brings me to: LIGHTNING NETWORK. WE NEED IT. LETS GET IT. HOW CAN I HELP. I'M A DEVELOPER, BUT HAVEN'T STARTED LEARNING BLOCKCHAIN CODING. DM AND PUT ME TO WORK LEARNING. I'LL BUILD YOU A THING.

Anyway, go to this bar and talk to Aaron. Super cool and will talk your ear off about bitcoin if he has the time: https://www.yelp.com/biz/stookeys-club-moderne-san-francisco

Here is my transaction: https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/tx/820957a6eac6ca8695dd312d90b84b6bdb5ad1b7ed8d747e3df4dc406ceaaeff/

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
How can you possibly go through all that and still BELIEVE IN BITCOIN

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

How can you possibly go through all that and still BELIEVE IN BITCOIN

How could you crash at kitty hawk after 50 yards and still believe in airplanes?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Salt Fish posted:

How could you crash at kitty hawk after 50 yards and still believe in airplanes?

Except that plane crashes are incredibly rare but the experience that guy had would be identical for anyone else attempting the same thing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Someone said to me that bitcoin's bubble was unique and pure in a macabre way in that it was based on something of no value. There's no physical object or service to back it.

I had to correct him that it was actually based on something of negative value because each transaction requires the energy to power an American household for a week.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Unless he used an obscure alternate currency that nobody is using and no merchant accepts :smuggo:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A man who believes so hard in the free market that he offers to give of his precious time and skills for free. Amazing!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Bitcoin is a store of value. Comedic value.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

'Come on Tether, print your magical IOUs already ffs'

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chird posted:

'Come on Tether, print your magical IOUs already ffs'

They just fired off 50 million about 20 minutes ago.

I fully expect another 100 million within the next 12 hours.

e: the 50 mil is off their transparency page, but not into their issuing address. I'm guessing they got "hacked" again.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 22, 2017

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
bitcon

nocoin

flopcoin

blipcoin

popcoin

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I hope these idiots are thrust full force into the most brutal poverty by their dumb fucker idiot decisions

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Powershift posted:

They just fired off 50 million about 20 minutes ago.

I fully expect another 100 million within the next 12 hours.

e: the 50 mil is off their transparency page, but not into their issuing address. I'm guessing they got "hacked" again.

Oh I thought them closing new account registrations today might have been them just switching off the lights before heading to Barbados.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

chird posted:

Oh I thought them closing new account registrations today might have been them just switching off the lights before heading to Barbados.

Are you saying that turning off new account registrations might be a bad sign?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
cant wait to buy some bitcoin

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
*in the smartest of all possible voices*: Today, I'm buying bitcoing!!

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
saw a guy buy 10 coins at 13,900, i hope he has balls of steel

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Losing 20% in a day is not a nice headline.

Fake edit: 21% now.

Edit: 23% 25%.....

chird fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
The real comedy gold is refreshing the new section in /r/bitcoin