Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CopperHound posted:

The amount charged to upgrade from 250GB to 500GB on that thing just seems bonkers to me. $300.

Yep, it's like the exact opposite of the dell everyone loves. Zero serviceability or expansion outside of flash storage. I bought the 1tb model and I'm pretty sure that was like a 600$ premium in itself. It took me a few days to convince myself that dropping what I did made sense financially but I didn't feel any buyers remorse. The thing is beautiful from a design perspective... I never thought I'd be a ms fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

CopperHound posted:

The amount charged to upgrade from 250GB to 500GB on that thing just seems bonkers to me. $300.

I paid like $500 to get 8 gb more ram in my xps 13

Its ddr3 lol

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Base line model only was on discount?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CopperHound posted:

Base line model only was on discount?

Dell forces you into the qhd touch model for 16g ram in america because ..idk

Both models were on discount. I think i got a bigger hd, but still only the 256gb one

Whatever. I'm actually digging the qhd screen so much I'm building a new desktop to go 4k

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

zer0spunk posted:

I've had the sb2 (15 inch model) since it came out 30 days ago.. Zero issues. The apple care thing they have is another 250 for 2 years of coverage that beat any other insurance/warranty.
Edit: minor nitpicks, the 3.5mm jack is in a dumb spot but makes sense when it's detached. The sd card slot doesn't go flush into the unit so I'd be nervous that keeping the card in while in a sleeve could tweak the port or something.. I've been ejecting cards.. So if you want to expand the storage with an SD card know that it's not something you can insert and have be invisible.. Itll stick out an inch and a half. The mag safe charger led doesn't change color so you can't tell at a glance if you're fully charged without checking the screen.. There's no adjustment for the keyboard backlight that I've found yet (but I'm sure there's software out there for that)... The aspect ratio makes finding a sleeve that fits snug a more annoying hunt..
Keyboard backlight is F7 on my 13.5" SB2.

But I agree with all you said. EDU discount if nothing else. Or a refurb when they come out. I love my Surface.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Soup du Journey posted:

my costco 7577 didn't seem come with a ton of bloat. i took out maybe 8 things by way of control panel uninstalls and i seem to be doing okay. am i nuts? is this poo poo super stealthy now??

I don't know how much bloat it came with. I just wanted a clean slate to start.

Although I was getting super-pissed off that the Windows installation media wasn't recognizing the SSD in the laptop, but I finally fixed it by going into the BIOS and switching the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

I have a dedicated gaming pc so I dont need a super powerful laptop, but it should be able to handle random indie games on steam, League of Legends (i know, even integrated can do it now).

I did some thinking and realized that I probably wont really ever play FFXIV or anything actually intensive on my laptop, so actually even just integrated graphics would be enough. I figured that I'd rather put the extra money into upgrading the card on my actual PC. I was thinking about trying a full out convertible laptop this time around. Is there any preference between the various brands for a ~600-700 dollar convertible? I do like 15.6 inch, but I could be convinced to drop to 14 if there's a particularly good model.

edit: Is this a good deal? https://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-R15-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100367231.html

Argona fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2017

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Soup du Journey posted:

my costco 7577 didn't seem come with a ton of bloat. i took out maybe 8 things by way of control panel uninstalls and i seem to be doing okay. am i nuts? is this poo poo super stealthy now??

So there's not a lot of pre-installed programs like you're looking for BUT by default there is a 13gb dell recovery partition that's basically a Windows 10 image with all of the pre-installed software. For me that's a ton of space on a 256gb drive so the easiest thing to do is just wipe everything and install windows 10 fresh.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ilkhan posted:

Keyboard backlight is F7 on my 13.5" SB2.

But I agree with all you said. EDU discount if nothing else. Or a refurb when they come out. I love my Surface.

Nice! Somehow didn't notice that key. The lowest setting is much better, but I think I'm going to scour the surface reddit or something to find a slider based control. It'd be nice to drop it to like 10% or something..same for display brightness. I miss the granular slider control of android/ios vs the steps in the taskbar. Also need to find a decent battery level app since the UI doesn't show time remaining for some reason...

I was stubborn and stuck with windows 7 on my desktop due to WMC/cablecard so I'm still trying to adjust to all the little strange UI decisions they made for windows 10 as a brand new user to something that's been around for years already.

edit: and not twenty seconds after I post this I realize that if you hit the hardware brightness keys that little pop up can be used as a brightness slider. Such a odd and unintuitive choice..there's nothing that would indicate that pop up is a slider too...and you need to use the keyboard to even access it, there's no slider control anywhere else. Wha??

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 21, 2017

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
For display brightness just right click the battery icon in windows and choose "Adjust Screen Brightness".

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CFox posted:

For display brightness just right click the battery icon in windows and choose "Adjust Screen Brightness".

Nice, this also works. Thanks. Is there any way to have that slider in the control center or whatever the hell that rightmost panel is called.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The slider? Doesn't look like it. There's a brightness icon that has 4 different levels when you click on it but you can right click on that icon to bring up a slider.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is there a new recomendation for a lenovo (preferably a thinkpad) in the $900-1000 range? The op hasn't been updated in a while.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Argona posted:

I did some thinking and realized that I probably wont really ever play FFXIV or anything actually intensive on my laptop, so actually even just integrated graphics would be enough. I figured that I'd rather put the extra money into upgrading the card on my actual PC. I was thinking about trying a full out convertible laptop this time around. Is there any preference between the various brands for a ~600-700 dollar convertible? I do like 15.6 inch, but I could be convinced to drop to 14 if there's a particularly good model.

edit: Is this a good deal? https://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-R15-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100367231.html

I think that's the one my brother got (or a similar variant.) He likes his; the 940MX is better than an iGPU for light gaming. I don't know if I'd say $700 is a deal for that, but for a convertible with >8 GB of RAM and both an SSD & HDD, that's not terrible. Consider that the Acer E 15 with the 940MX I often recommend is around $500-600, and it's not a convertible, doesn't have a touchscreen, and I think just has a 256 GB SSD with 8 GB of RAM, but both at least have backlit keyboards. Also note that MX150 laptops are around the same price ($600-700 at the low end) so you'd get better gaming performance (or alternately, better longevity) but not in a convertible.

So if that thing has all the features you're looking for, sure, go for it, especially if you can get some sort of discount (cashback CC, etc.)

Pondex posted:

Is there a new recomendation for a lenovo (preferably a thinkpad) in the $900-1000 range? The op hasn't been updated in a while.

I think you can probably squeeze a X1 Carbon refurb in that price range.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there any reason to set up a laptop with a Microsoft account over a local one? Seems to be conflicting advice about whether it enables encryption or not (on Home), does it affect logging in with Windows Hello, anything like that? I don't care about the App Store at this point or syncing wallpaper with a desktop machine, but are you shooting yourself in the foot by making a local account? What do people usually do?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm not a huge fan of it for multiple computers yet for some reason I still use it across all of them. I forget why now. The things it chooses to keep consistent and not consistent across device is puzzling to me.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I always use local accounts, and have never noticed any problems or weirdness. I have no idea what value is added by using a microsoft account, but whatever it is probably isn't worth the ad tracking and telemetry involved.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I mean eh.

I have like half a dozen computers so I use a microsoft account to synchronize settings and making signin simple. It's like having a domain account without a domain. Super handy. Absolutely no reason you can't do the same with local accounts though.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Atomizer posted:

I think that's the one my brother got (or a similar variant.) He likes his; the 940MX is better than an iGPU for light gaming. I don't know if I'd say $700 is a deal for that, but for a convertible with >8 GB of RAM and both an SSD & HDD, that's not terrible. Consider that the Acer E 15 with the 940MX I often recommend is around $500-600, and it's not a convertible, doesn't have a touchscreen, and I think just has a 256 GB SSD with 8 GB of RAM, but both at least have backlit keyboards. Also note that MX150 laptops are around the same price ($600-700 at the low end) so you'd get better gaming performance (or alternately, better longevity) but not in a convertible.

So if that thing has all the features you're looking for, sure, go for it, especially if you can get some sort of discount (cashback CC, etc.)

Pulled the trigger on it. Thanks a bunch!

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So I just got the Costco Dell 7577, and one of the fans sounds like a plane taking off. I'm sure it is a misaligned fan, since only one is making the noise. Anyone know if I should go through Costco or Dell? I'd rather not try to fix it myself since it is under warranty

Roxors fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 23, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Roxors posted:

So I just got the Costco Dell 7577, and one of the fans sounds like a plane taking off. I'm sure it is a misaligned fan, since only one is making the noise. Anyone know if I should go through Costco or Dell? I'd rather not try to fix it myself since it is under warranty

I'd try doing a straight exchange from Costco assuming they still have more in stock. Otherwise, yeah, you'd have to contact Dell, and certainly don't do any work on it yourself since not only is it under warranty, it's brand-new so you shouldn't have to deal with any issues straight out of the box.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean eh.

I have like half a dozen computers so I use a microsoft account to synchronize settings and making signin simple. It's like having a domain account without a domain. Super handy. Absolutely no reason you can't do the same with local accounts though.

What settings does it synchronise though? I mean which do you care about? I can see OneDrive or whatever it's called automatically connecting being nice if you use it, maybe identical start menus... I dunno, it doesn't feel compelling and it's a pain to go back to a local account if you change your mind (say, if you don't want to keep typing your non-bad password on a desktop)

I'm sure it could be good but it would be nice to know that "duh, obviously you use it" instead of "well there are some pros and some cons..." I had to set up a homegroup to copy some files between machines earlier, would it have helped with that? I just don't really know what it's for

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it syncs the desktop backgrounds which is great because not a single one of my devices has the same resolution

i mean, i just change it immediately but its always lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You monster, Cortana did that to be nice and you throw it back in her face???

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have no idea how to engage cortana tbh

i guess its fitting, ultimately

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
MS account plus OneDrive will sync your desktop/docs/etc folders. Actually not sure if that needs an MS account, but it's nice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

baka kaba posted:

What settings does it synchronise though? I mean which do you care about? I can see OneDrive or whatever it's called automatically connecting being nice if you use it, maybe identical start menus... I dunno, it doesn't feel compelling and it's a pain to go back to a local account if you change your mind (say, if you don't want to keep typing your non-bad password on a desktop)

It doesn't sync start menu layout - that doesn't even work if you have a domain account with a roaming profile and use a bunch of PCs off an identical image.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Hiya laptop thread,

My grandfathers laptop seems to have poo poo the bed and I'm looking for something that he could pickup on the cheap. Honestly, I'm trying to steer him towards a chromebook since it would be less for him to potentially mess up and it would be cheaper for him. The only thing that's keeping him away from picking that up is that he has an old iPod and he wouldn't be able to use iTunes on it. So I guess the price range is lets say $350ish (or you give me more information to funnel him towards the $160 Chromebook)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Evil Vin posted:

Hiya laptop thread,

My grandfathers laptop seems to have poo poo the bed and I'm looking for something that he could pickup on the cheap. Honestly, I'm trying to steer him towards a chromebook since it would be less for him to potentially mess up and it would be cheaper for him. The only thing that's keeping him away from picking that up is that he has an old iPod and he wouldn't be able to use iTunes on it. So I guess the price range is lets say $350ish (or you give me more information to funnel him towards the $160 Chromebook)

I have a Chromebook Megathread which is normally what I'd recommend for someone like your gramp, but the iTunes thing is a no-go (or at the very least, I'm not aware of any work-arounds as I don't use Apple products at all.) Unfortunately it looks like you'd have to spend more for a Windows system. I really hate that, in a situation like this, Apple is making a consumer spend more money on a non-Apple product just because there's one Apple device in the loop, but I digress. Here's a recent quote of mine with the most ideal laptop for your peepaw:

Atomizer posted:

You could still get a reasonably-priced Windows laptop that will also meet your needs: this is my standard recommendation although you need to do a m.2 SSD upgrade yourself and adding another 4 GB of RAM is also a good idea.

I must really stress that you'll need to do a little work adding an SSD & RAM and reinstalling Windows, but fortunately that's easy enough and you end up with the best new cheap laptop.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

I have a Chromebook Megathread which is normally what I'd recommend for someone like your gramp, but the iTunes thing is a no-go (or at the very least, I'm not aware of any work-arounds as I don't use Apple products at all.) Unfortunately it looks like you'd have to spend more for a Windows system. I really hate that, in a situation like this, Apple is making a consumer spend more money on a non-Apple product just because there's one Apple device in the loop, but I digress. Here's a recent quote of mine with the most ideal laptop for your peepaw:

I must really stress that you'll need to do a little work adding an SSD & RAM and reinstalling Windows, but fortunately that's easy enough and you end up with the best new cheap laptop.

Thanks for this suggestion I'll pass it along to him. I may have some DD4 ram around so that could work and it looks like 128 gig m2 SSDs prices aren't too bad. I'm going to keep pushing the Chromebook since he never really updates his music on the iPod since I'm the one who has to do it for him. I'll just offer to bring my own laptop to it for him. I'll also give the Chromebook thread a look!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Roxors posted:

<Standard disclaimer about diagnosing problems over the internet here>

If it's just one fan, that would make sense.

But I would note that noise overall drops after the first month or so. Maybe it's because I got used to it, but I think it is more likely that I got past the burn-in period.

edit: Sec, I'm going to try cranking settings for a bit.

edit edit: So this little stream here, causes the laptop to crank up to the max. I know this, because the goon guild I'm in moved to weebland just before I got the laptop, and holy crap, does that stream through the housing area make my old computer bog.

Yes. I would say that the fan noise is significantly reduced from when it was when fresh out of the box, indicating that some kind of paste burn-in has occurred. But if it's just ONE fan that's making noises, I concur with your analysis based solely on what you've said and not any actual real diagnoses.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 24, 2017

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Hey Guys, my brother in law is after a new laptop that can run Balder's gate (the latest version) well, his very old i3 doesn't seem to cut it. Now I can't imagine he'll need a very powerful computer but is there any good refurb sites in the UK to get an i3 or an i5 from?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Crossposting from the AMD thread, apologies if someone else already posted it: HP Envy x360 review by Hardware Unboxed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdFZYuG78w

Hrm. $650 for a convertible with Windows 10 Pro. Factor in another $160 for a decent 2x8 GB kit, sell off the stock 2x4GB for whatever you can get, a 512GB 960 Pro for $250.... I dare say that's about as good as an ultrabook convertible is going to get for ~$1000.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I just wanted to let the thread know that SwissArmyDruid's RAM arrived yesterday, and I installed it in my new Dell 7577 this morning, along with a 1TB Firecuda drive. I panicked for a bit when I turned it on and got a black screen, but 15 seconds later I got a screen warning me that the amount of recognized RAM had changed from the last boot up. :thumbsup:

I'm really happy with the specs of this thing considering the money I've put into it.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 24, 2017

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Hey guys I asked a few months back but my mom ended up never buying it and is still interested. Wanted to ask again because as time goes by better things get cheaper!

My moms lookin for something not super powerful for daily use (writing documents, browsing, editing music/photos).

She told me her price range is 700-1200 and the only real requirements are 15.6 screen, webcam, bluetooth, preferably lightweight, and better performance than her ASUS A53e.

Any suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out the Samsung Notebook 9. The weight on this 15" is an insane 2.7 pounds.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312598-REG/samsung_np900x5n_l01us_i7_7500u_8gb_256ssd_windows.html

If you can swing a little more then this version has 16 gigs RAM and a crappy 940mx graphics card which is slightly better than the integrated. You can swap the SSD later but the RAM is soldered on.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304857-REG/samsung_np900x5n_x01us_15_6_notebook_9_ext.html

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

by.a.teammate posted:

Hey Guys, my brother in law is after a new laptop that can run Balder's gate (the latest version) well, his very old i3 doesn't seem to cut it. Now I can't imagine he'll need a very powerful computer but is there any good refurb sites in the UK to get an i3 or an i5 from?

is this real

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mu Zeta posted:

Check out the Samsung Notebook 9. The weight on this 15" is an insane 2.7 pounds.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312598-REG/samsung_np900x5n_l01us_i7_7500u_8gb_256ssd_windows.html

If you can swing a little more then this version has 16 gigs RAM and a crappy 940mx graphics card which is slightly better than the integrated. You can swap the SSD later but the RAM is soldered on.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304857-REG/samsung_np900x5n_x01us_15_6_notebook_9_ext.html

Samsung is showing off the refresh at CES. Quad core 8 U series, bigger battery and mx150 so just wait. I don't think anybody should be getting a 28nm GPU at this point.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

Waaaaait a minute... So BG is one of the greatest games of all time, and I know you're talking about the Enhanced Edition, but it's still an almost-20-year-old game that ran on Win98 with no significant 3D accelerator required. Just how old is your bro's laptop?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Okay your responses makes me think I should check his laptop out first before just believing him, I didn't know if the enhanced edition had loads of new stuff which was more in line with modern games.